It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
Limited time offer until January 2010. It is the home premium edition. I guess this is Microsofts attempt to curb students from buying mac's. All you need to do is enter your university email.

Found the deal here: http://www.win741.com/

registration page here: http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/ ... 7539658540

Last edited by crosscheck on Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Careful: there were MILLIONS of problems with this particular file when it first came out. Unfortunately I haven't kept up to date to see if MS fixed them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:41 pm 

Chris in St. Charles wrote:
Careful: there were MILLIONS of problems with this particular file when it first came out. Unfortunately I haven't kept up to date to see if MS fixed them.

Interesting. I'm going straight from Xp to windows 7, so maybe I'll get lucky. Either way it's worth the risk, cause I have a laptop that I use as a back up in case it fucks up my desktop. I'm downloading it right now, so I'll report any problems.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:20 pm 

:lol: didn't work. So I looked up the support page and I guess it is very difficult to go from xp to 7, without having your hard drive deleted. So I'm downloading it on my vista laptop as we speak. man I hope this works.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Quote:
Be cautious upgrading to Windows 7
Steps to make the change depend on starting point

By Troy Wolverton McClatchy/Tribune news

November 2, 2009

Before you buy a copy of Windows 7, you'd do well to check whether you and your computer are ready for the upgrade.

If you're one of the millions of PC owners still running Windows XP, your computer may not be powerful enough to run the new software. Worse yet, you have a tedious and long upgrade process ahead, essentially requiring you to erase everything on your current hard drive and reinstall it.

If you've got Windows Vista, the procedure is easier, but not necessarily pain-free. And you still might want to go through the more thorough -- and time-consuming -- upgrade process facing XP users.

Windows 7, which hit store shelves in October, has multiple versions (Home, Ultimate, etc.) that come in one of two flavors: 32 bit and 64 bit. The latter can be speedier, depending on the type of software you run. But few programs can take advantage of what it offers, so be cautious in this choice.

To run the 32-bit version, your computer will need to have 1 GB of memory, a 1 gigahertz processor or better and about 16 GB of available space on its hard drive.

The requirements for the 32-bit version are about the same as those for Windows Vista, meaning that most Vista PCs should be able to run Windows 7. They're also in line with the specifications of many computers sold in recent years.

Even many netbooks, which are typically underpowered, should have enough memory and horsepower to run Windows 7.

If you want to run a 64-bit version of Windows 7, you'll need at least 2 GB of memory and 20 GB of hard drive space, and a 64-bit microprocessor.

But many XP machines won't be able to run the new software. XP requires far less power than Windows 7 -- just a 233 megahertz processor, 64 MB of memory and 1.5 GB of drive space.

Part of what has made XP popular in netbooks is that the software's modest requirements meant that manufacturers could save money by building computers with older, slower processors and less memory than on higher-end systems. In other words, even if your netbook is fairly new, it may not be able to run Windows 7.

Upgrade tips
Seek advice: A tool on microsoft.com will tell whether your computer is capable of running Windows 7.

Back up your stuff: It's a good idea any time you upgrade your OS; it's mandatory if you're running XP.

Take the "Easy" way out: "Windows Easy Transfer," a free program from Microsoft, will collect all of your settings and personal files and transfer them to an external drive. You can use the same program to restore them after you've upgraded to Windows 7.

Find your discs: If you're going from XP, you'll have to reinstall all program files after you finish the upgrade.

Get up to date: If you're running Vista, you'll need to have at least the first service pack installed before the upgrade.

Clear your calendar: Upgrading from an updated version of Vista can take less than an hour. But the process can take hours longer if you need to back up your data first or if you are upgrading from XP.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... 9451.story

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:16 am 

it took a few hours, but it works. I didn't have any problems with the vista upgrade. and this new OS is well worth $30. It is a shitload easier, and a lot less cluttered. I'm very happy with this.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:31 pm 

Review:

Ok, this really is a lot better than xp and vista. The interface is a lot more simple and a lot more user friendly. The task bar is completely different. You can now pin any program to the task bar and open files or music by right clicking the program icon(which is much larger an more aesthetically appealing). If you want to open any document, video, or picture, there is an icon that is pinned to the task bar that allows to open something by right clicking it. So you never have to even click the start menu.

The programs open quicker in this version of windows, but it is still slower than Mac's, but that could be because I upgraded my old computer rather than buying a new one with windows 7 already on it. This task bar really is amazing becasue you can do a lot with you programs that are open without have to switch between windows. Example: I'm wrting this review, but I don't like the song that's playing on Itunes, so I just move my mouse over the Itunes icon on the task bar and it automatically pops up a little box that allows my to pause the song or change it, so I don't have to open the actual Itunes window.

The upgrading process took 2-3 hours, and I didn't have to do a thing. It emailed me the registration code that I bought online, so I didn't have to wait for anything to be shipped. I didn't lose any of the programs, or any of my files when I upgraded, so that was a relief.

Overall, I would suggest upgrading to 7 IF you are using vista. I tried to upgrade my xp desktop and it didn't work, and wont work without having to delete all of my documents and programs on there, and I just have too much valuable crap on there to destroy it.

If you are still confused about windows 7 here is the website that the os directed me to after I installed it. these are the videos explaining the new features, and I found them to be helpful.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... ng-started