It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
SHARK wrote:
Brian's Mojito wrote:
Once a head coach fails at his position, he shouldn't be hired as a coordinator?
How's Mike Nolan doing in Denver?
Millen is staying in the sport. He's just doing a job that is more suited to his talents.

Point well taken, Brian...

Thanks, Nancy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
:lol: :lol: :lol: Brian, SHARK is NOT Nancy...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:10 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
To me it's more abouot credibility.

Before the Lions, he was one of the better announcers. But given his lousy record with the Lions, how can he call himself a football expert?

Because breaking things down as they happen is a completely different skill than putting the big picture into focus. Steve Stone is a great example of that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:13 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
There's failing as a head coach/gm then there's stinkin' up the place historically by going zero-one six.

So Rod Marinelli would be the better example there than Nolan.

Despite the 1 win this season, Lions were probably a better team last season than they are this season.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:04 pm 

He may know Xs & Os to an extent and player emotion, but regarding talent evaluation and coaching assessments his track record speaks a bit too loudly. The media love for the guy oversells his true talents and abilities. Does that mean he isn't qualified to talk about the game? No. Just that despite having played the game he doesn't know that much more than far too many who never got the opportunity he had and squandered.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:52 pm 

Millen may have been good in the booth at one time and in a different place. But that time and place was not tonight in San Francisco.

And when he started waxing nostalgic about his days at the Lions with Rod Marinelli? Image

I did get the impression with all the praise he heaped on Michael Crabtree that had Millen still been the Lions GM for the '09 draft he would've taken Crabtree with the Lions #1 overall pick.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:49 am 

Brian's Mojito wrote:
It's hard to take a poster seriously who uses a "Home Movies" avatar. That show is the Matt Millen GM of Adult Swim. It's even worse than "Tom Goes to the Mayor". Brutal! :wink:

wow...well, different strokes.

but i thought matt millen sucked last night as a commentator, too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:15 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
W_Z wrote:
but i thought matt millen sucked last night as a commentator, too.

Don't be so harsh, W_Z. Before the game Millen said "Frank Gore -- that guy's good." You don't get that kind of trenchant analysis just anywhere. I think you have unrealistically high expectations.

Home Movies is very funny, btw.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:44 am 

Tad Queasy wrote:
Don't be so harsh, W_Z. Before the game Millen said "Frank Gore -- that guy's good." You don't get that kind of trenchant analysis just anywhere. I think you have unrealistically high expectations.

Home Movies is very funny, btw.

now that i think about it, you're right. he also said "you got 2nd and 8 down to 3rd and manageable. that's a good position to be in." normally i'd think a first down would be a good position to be in, but i guess he's opened my mind.

for any h. john benjamin fans out there (like me), new show starting on FX soon called "archer".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:00 am 

Mac wrote:
Matt Millen was a ferocious NFL player. He understands the nuances of offensive and defensive line play as well as any analyst in the game. Complete failure as an executive. Big deal. He's A GAME ANALYST. And I look forward to re-connecting with my buddy now that he's out of the bunker.

"Your buddy" was pretty bad last night . . . like most other things you promote as being good.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:19 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
:roll:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:24 pm 

NearWessSideHussra wrote:
Despite the 1 win this season, Lions were probably a better team last season than they are this season.

Lions looked terrible for the 1st half. They couldn't wrap up AP at all. Luckily for them Peterson fumbled twice and the Vikings have committed 10 penalties already, else the game would've been over before half-time.

Having Childress as the head coach doesn't help the Vikings. On 4th and short the Vikings go for it and Aikman notes "you don't try to run this right up the middle of Detroit's huge d-line, go off-tackle or to the outside". So of course Childress tries to run right up the middle, gets stopped in the backfield, doesn't get the 1st and loses 3 yards in the process.

Stafford has a hell of an arm and keeps improving his decision-making. With Favre returning in 2010, Cutler could be the 4th best QB in his own division next season. Or 5th best if Caleb Hanie returns. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
i know it's almost a concensus that millen is a great analyst but i dont get it. He's boring as hell, doesn't seem too bright, and never teaches me anything about the game.

To rock my soul