It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:05 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
Orton missed a game or so (in total, across a couple games) due to injury. Or else Orton might actually be keeping pace with/ahead of Cutler in Cutler's usually strong categories, like total yds.

Don't see Orton catching Cutler in the category Cutler leads the league, Interceptions.

Even when Cutler's good, it's not as beneficial to the Bears defense as Cutler's Grossman-like tendency to prefer the quick strike, go deep big play leads to quick scoring drives for the Bears (when they manage to score at all) and that puts the defense right back on the field. A good example was the Cardinals game where the Bears responded to the Cardinals initial TD with a quick, maybe 3 play drive for a TD but then Kurt Warner and the Cardinals went back out and put together a long drive to score again and wear down the Beards defense.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's - Sausage
NearWessSideHussra wrote:
Even when Cutler's good, it's not as beneficial to the Bears defense as Cutler's Grossman-like tendency to prefer the quick strike, go deep big play leads to quick scoring drives for the Bears (when they manage to score at all) and that puts the defense right back on the field. A good example was the Cardinals game where the Bears responded to the Cardinals initial TD with a quick, maybe 3 play drive for a TD but then Kurt Warner and the Cardinals went back out and put together a long drive to score again and wear down the Beards defense.

If the Bears D was any good this wouldn't be a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:41 am 

Did you watch the Saints game last night?? Was Drew Brees hurting his defense by scoring quickly on big plays so much? Doesnt seem to be bothering them one bit.

How do you expect the Bears to go on long drives when they are last in the league in rushing? The only way they can move the ball is throwing it downfield.

I'm not saying that Cutler's perfect and nothings his fault. He definitely has played crappy and needs to cut down a lot on the interceptions. But if you are gonna compare their records thus far, I think you really need to compare the quality of their teammates as well. The Packers are also 7-4, are you gonna compare Aaron Rodgers to Orton too?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:09 am 

Bears pass protection > Packers pass protection.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:55 am 

Thats probably true, although Rodgers just holds on to the ball instead of throwing it away, which skews the sack numbers. Either way, I dont know what that has to do with this discussion.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's - Sausage
OrangeSox wrote:

Thats probably true, although Rodgers just holds on to the ball instead of throwing it away, which skews the sack numbers. Either way, I dont know what that has to do with this discussion.

Rodgers holds on to the ball and takes sacks. Cutler throws it away or to the other team. I would argue Bears pass protection = Packers pass protection. But this is a whole different argument from scoring drives that are too quick.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
It took the Packers coaching staff much longer than it should have, but they finally have made adjustments to the playcalling and formations. The Packers have protected Rodgers decently the last three weeks. Not coincidently, the Packers are 3-0 during that stretch.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein

Packers Recievers Head and Shoulders better than crappy Bears Recievers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
regardless of who is to blame (cutler, or everyone else on team EXCEPT cutler), giving up that much for him at this time with this team was a bad idea. that trade was a "put-us-over-the-top" kind of trade on a team that has too many other holes, specifically in the skill positions, and now the lack of draft choices will only elongate the process of filling them. what really is puzzling is trading that 2nd rounder for adams, a guy they gave up on and couldnt get rid of fast enough in tampa. what was that all about? i understand the big trade for cutler a lot more than blowing that other 2nd rounder on that guy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:35 pm 

The difference in last night's game: NE gave up 3 turnovers (or the Saints defense got 3 takeaways, whichever ya prefer).

Saints defense, despite playing very good defense this season, is middle in the road in terms of points against/yds against/etc, giving up 3 td's worth of points on average per game.

So, yeah, Drew Brees quick strike offense means that the Saints D looks worse on the stat sheets than it probably actually should be considered to be.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:39 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:

Packers Recievers Head and Shoulders better than crappy Bears Recievers

Wasn't Jay Cutler supposed to make Hester and the rest of the team better? ( :mrgreen: ).

I don't know Green Bay's receivers all that well, but do they have anyone as fast as Hester or Johnny Knox? Or as easy tight-end targets as Olsen and Dez Clark? I don't know what Green Bay has for receivers right now. That's why I'm asking

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery

I don't know Green Bay's receivers all that well, but do they have anyone as fast as Hester or Johnny Knox? Or as easy tight-end targets as Olsen and Dez Clark? I don't know what Green Bay has for receivers right now. That's why I'm asking

While Hester and Knox are obviously quite fast, the WR position is so much more complicated than a 40 time. Between crisp route running, adjusting to balls to shield defenders off, playing defense on a poorly thrown ball, adjusting your route based on where a LB or Safety is..goes on and on.

Looks at Cutler's interception to Knox in Minnesota. It's reasonable to argue that a more talented(maybe experienced in Knox's case) would have been able to adjust to the ball and at the very least prevent the pic. That said, Cutler has made some disgusting throws and I definitely expected more out of him even considering the terrible supporting cast.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:53 pm 

Greg Jennings is probably not as fast as Knox or Hester, but he is a better deep threat. Donald Driver is probably the best possession reciever in the game. James Jones is really good. And Donald Lee is an actual Tight End that can block and catch the ball.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:32 pm 

Northside_Dan wrote:

While Hester and Knox are obviously quite fast, the WR position is so much more complicated than a 40 time. Between crisp route running, adjusting to balls to shield defenders off, playing defense on a poorly thrown ball, adjusting your route based on where a LB or Safety is..goes on and on.

Looks at Cutler's interception to Knox in Minnesota. It's reasonable to argue that a more talented(maybe experienced in Knox's case) would have been able to adjust to the ball and at the very least prevent the pic. That said, Cutler has made some disgusting throws and I definitely expected more out of him even considering the terrible supporting cast.

You mean having caught the first pass that was a deep corner ball, Knox should have anticipated Cutler throwing a woefully short ball that barely made it past the goal line? If the receivers really need to be all that, as was the case last week in several other poor throws, then Cutler really is over-rated.

Or then again, just over-valued. These days, playing in the pro-bowl most likely means your team didn't go very far into the playoffs (or didn't make the playoffs).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
No Clever Moniker wrote:
[

You mean having caught the first pass that was a deep corner ball, Knox should have anticipated Cutler throwing a woefully short ball that barely made it past the goal line? If the receivers really need to be all that, as was the case last week in several other poor throws, then Cutler really is over-rated.

Congrats on missing the entire point of my quality WR point, I'll try again. A quality Wide Receiver doesn't need a perfectly thrown ball to make a non negative play out of it. Obviously you don't have to anticipate a badly thrown ball, but you need to be prepared for it and I don't think it's crazy that a better wide receiver would have been able to play defense on that pass and prevent the interception.

Maybe I'm alone in that thinking

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Greg Jennings is probably not as fast as Knox or Hester, but he is a better deep threat. Donald Driver is probably the best possession reciever in the game. James Jones is really good. And Donald Lee is an actual Tight End that can block and catch the ball.

The Driver praise is a little high. He's not as good as guys like Fitzgerald or Boldin. The only thing you left out is Jermicheal Finley. He's kinda what Olsen would be if Olsen wasnt triple teamed every play because Cutler refuses to throw to anyone else.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:01 pm 

Left out Jordy Nelson as well, who would be starting on the Bears and might possibly be the beloved's best reciever.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:13 pm 

Finley was the guy I couldn't remember