It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: John Wall
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:27 pm 

pizza_Place: *
spanky wrote:
It's smarter, and quite frankly more refreshing, for a host to admit that they don't have an opinion or don't know about something rather than continuously fake it day in and day out. No host "knows" every sport, team, player as well as they know the sports that they are personally interested in or are specifically assigned to cover. Except Boers. He knows everything despite the fact he never attends games and only occasionally watches on TV.

Save the standard "it's an act" answer that you give. It doesn't work.

This

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:29 pm 

spanky wrote:
RFDC wrote:
:lol: If it was Boers who did not know about Wall, you would be ripping him.

Actually, I'd rip Boers for trying to formulate a strong (probably negative) opinion about something that he clearly has no clue about. And then I'd hammer him again for repeatedly shoving that negative opinion down our throat despite the many facts that usually occur proving his opinion wrong and that he clearly had no knowledge of what he was talking about the entire time.

It's smarter, and quite frankly more refreshing, for a host to admit that they don't have an opinion or don't know about something rather than continuously fake it day in and day out. No host "knows" every sport, team, player as well as they know the sports that they are personally interested in or are specifically assigned to cover. Except Boers. He knows everything despite the fact he never attends games and only occasionally watches on TV.

Save the standard "it's an act" answer that you give. It doesn't work.

Who you crappin? This is real simple. You rip Boers on any and everything because you do not like him. You defend Mac because you like him. You can try to make it more complicated than that, but that is the reality of it, like it or not.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:32 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Who you crappin? This is real simple. You rip Boers on any and everything because you do not like him. You defend Mac because you like him. You can try to make it more complicated than that, but that is the reality of it, like it or not.

Not true. I've ripped Mac on this board before. And to be honest, I don;t know that I'm going way out on a limb to "defend him" on this issue either. I just don't get what Nas is saying, that's all. And no part of this thread had anything at all to do with Boers until..............

wait, who brought Boers into this again?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Ban me
I did. Several times.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:36 pm 

spanky wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Not true. I've ripped Mac on this board before. And to be honest, I don;t know that I'm going way out on a limb to "defend him" on this issue either. I just don't get what Nas is saying, that's all. And no part of this thread had anything at all to do with Boers until..............

wait, who brought Boers into this again?

So you cannot see the double standard you have regarding this? That's fine. I really don't care. I like both Boers and Mac. I don't care that Mac did not know who Wall was, I still enjoy listening to his show, just like I enjoy listening to Boers inspite of his shortcomings.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
I don't think Spanky has a double standard, but his point is still very very valid either way.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:39 pm 

RFDC wrote:
So you cannot see the double standard you have regarding this?

"Inspite" of everything that we've posted, no, I don't see the "double standard" regarding this. And you haven't stated any double standard either. Saying "You just like Mac and don't like Boers" does not represent a DS.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:40 pm 

Bucky Chris wrote:
I don't think Spanky has a double standard, but his point is still very very valid either way.

That it's okay not to have ANY knowledge about things related to your job? In real world that gets you fired.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:41 pm 

Spanky, you don't want to see it, and again that is fine. No matter how many times I state it or explain it, you will refuse to see it.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:43 pm 

HOVA wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:

That is okay not to have ANY knowledge about things related to your job?

1. You've changed not knowing who a player (albeit a good one) from UK is to "okay not to have ANY knowledge about things related to your job". Not exactly an accurate statement on your part.

2. His job is to talk about sports on the radio. Not exactly the same "real world" your trying to imply. He's not building bridges or practicing medicine.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:44 pm 

spanky wrote:
RFDC wrote:
So you cannot see the double standard you have regarding this?

"Inspite" of everything that we've posted, no, I don't see the "double standard" regarding this. And you haven't stated any double standard either. Saying "You just like Mac and don't like Boers" does not represent a DS.

That it's okay for Mac to be uninformed/lazy and be proud of it but it isn't okay for Boers to be uninformed/lazy and be proud of it.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:44 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Spanky, you don't want to see it, and again that is fine. No matter how many times I state it or explain it, you will refuse to see it.

Again, since you started posting in this thread, you've never stated a double standard that I am using. Care to give it a shot yet? So when you say "no matter how many times I state/explain it" - you actually mean zero times?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
HOVA wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:

That it's okay not to have ANY knowledge about things related to your job? In real world that gets you fired.

Are there any sports radio hosts that have NO knowledge on a single sport?

Just because Mac doesn't know Wall, doesn't mean he has ZERO knowledge. That's a big stretch.

And Mac is in the real world, and I'm pretty sure not knowing Wall won't get him fired.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:46 pm 

this thread is a portalet and i didnt even lift the seat or use the side purse holder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:47 pm 

spanky wrote:
HOVA wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:

That is okay not to have ANY knowledge about things related to your job?

1. You've changed not knowing who a player (albeit a good one) from UK is to "okay not to have ANY knowledge about things related to your job". Not exactly an accurate statement on your part.

It is. This wasn't just about Wall. If it was I really wouldn't care. He's had the same attitude about basketball and other sports for years now. Since he doesn't like the sports he doesn't care to talk about them on the air and he doesn't care who doesn't like that.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:48 pm 

HOVA wrote:
That it's okay for Mac to be uninformed/lazy and be proud of it but it isn't okay for Boers to be uninformed/lazy and be proud of it.

Only one person has used the word "lazy" regarding anyone else in this thread Nas. It wasn't me. Admitting ignorance does not + "being proud of it" either IMO.

It's not a double standard for me to say I'd rather have a host say "I don't know/I'm not informed" rather than have a host create an uninformed negative opinion and cram it down my throat day after day.

Spanky, Nas just restated it one more time, let's see how you try to avoid it this time.

You rip Boers for not watching sports, being ignorant about things in sports.

You defend Mac for not knowing something in sports.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Bucky Chris wrote:
HOVA wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:

Are there any sports radio hosts that have NO knowledge on a single sport?

Just because Mac doesn't know Wall, doesn't mean he has ZERO knowledge. That's a big stretch.

And Mac is in the real world, and I'm pretty sure not knowing Wall won't get him fired.

He has said as much over the years. We had a similar debate about NBA talk a few years ago.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I don't think it's an issue right now - average person isn't thinking about it - but in March I'd like to hear about college basketball.

I like some of the songs, my son and I sing Hossa sometimes, but if he is spending a lot of time on them he is not spending his time wisely.

HOVA wrote:
Since he doesn't like the sports he doesn't care to talk about them on the air and he doesn't care who doesn't like that.

And...........? I don't disagree with the statement above. All hosts on any talk show (not just sports) talk about what they want to talk about that day, don't they? And most don't force themselves to talk about things they feel uninformed about just because a segment of the audience wishes they would, do they?

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Nas, you're in sales, correct? Do your bottom-line numbers not ultimately decide your success or lack thereof in your profession month-by-month? Does it really matter what day-to-day marginal actions you take (outside of immoral routes) to achieve those numbers? Now if Mac's numbers dip or fail, then we can finally begin this argument in earnest. Otherwise, what's the point?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:34 pm 

CSFMB Guy wrote:
Nas, you're in sales, correct? Do your bottom-line numbers not ultimately decide your success or lack thereof in your profession month-by-month? Does it really matter what day-to-day marginal actions you take (outside of immoral routes) to achieve those numbers? Now if Mac's numbers dip or fail, then we can finally begin this argument in earnest. Otherwise, what's the point?

Yes I am. Yes they do. IMO it does matter what you do day to day. Your day to day success determines your weekly success. Your weekly success determines your monthly success and that determines your annual success. I like to be informed about every part of my profession. Even if it's something I will rarely sale. Why? Because I don't want my competition getting the money and a good salesman makes most of their money off referrals. If someone ask for a product I want to be able to deliver. I want all customers. I can't explain to my kids that daddy didn't get a sale because he didn't care or want to learn something. It's foolish to me. If I were advertising on the Score or in management I would be upset with any host that tells someone to turn the station. If I worked there I would want everyone to listen even those that disagree with me.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:37 pm 

just like a snowball but its made of turds

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:47 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
HOVA wrote:
If I were advertising on the Score or in management I would be upset with any host that tells someone to turn the station.

Maybe somebody was upset with Mac on this when he first said that...over 2 decades ago. Why fix what is not broken? Did it even even occur to you that maybe, just maybe a few people tune in because they DON'T want to hear basketball talk?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:55 pm 

I don't tune in to listen to discussions about kids or things that go on in a bathroom. When those discussion start I don't PRESS THE BUTTON because I don't expect them to last long. Even if I don't find it entertaining someone else probably does. The idea that anyone would turn away listeners because they don't want to occasionally interrupt/replace their turd talk to discuss a popular sport sounds stupid to me. If you call yourself a sports host this is how you prove it to me. Did it occur to you that maybe a few extra people may listen and purchase products from his advertisers if he did it for a minute or 2? Basketball isn't the only sport either.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:58 pm 
100000 CLUB

Popular is a relative term. Talk of turds might be more entertaining depending on what "popular" sport you are talking about.

Also, I don't believe telling somebody to PTFB and come back in 10 minutes is really turning away listeners.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:02 pm 

When you tell someone not to listen or press the button they may never consume your product again. If you tell enough people the same thing you may have to start looking for a different line of work. Imagine if you told a customer in your line of work "if you don't like it leave the store"? You would probably be looking for something new to do.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

If I did that now, sure. If I had a 20 year track record to back me up, probably not. Again, if it ain't broke.

And I'm also in sales. There sometimes is that 1 customer out of 10,000 that you have to say "take your business elsewhere" to. It happens, and you deal with it and move on. So one guy PTFB's and doesn't come back, then you go after the next listner.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:52 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I'm pretty sure Mac isn't lazy.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:54 pm 

Most followers of this section feel the same way.

Awesome.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next