It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: John Wall
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:59 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
HOVA wrote:
Most followers of this section feel the same way.

Have I struck you as a fanboy of this show?
Now who's lazy? :P

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:04 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Darkside wrote:
I'm pretty sure Mac isn't lazy.

Mack is one of the laziest people in sports radio. No way in hell does he "work" 40 hours even if you count his air time and the amount of time he spends reading the Hammond Times on the can. No way does he want to give up one of the
precious segments on college basketball when he could be talking about "life".

Don't worry Mackey fish. I PTFB long ago and I still can't believe what a giant douche you are

Last edited by Gloopan Kuratz on Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:06 am 

Darkside wrote:

Mack is one of the laziest people in sports radio. No way in hell does he "work" 40 hours even if you count his air time and the amount of time he spends reading the Hammond Times on the can. No way does he want to give up one of the precious segments
on college basketball when he could be talking about "life".

Don't worry Mackey fish. I PTFB long ago and I still can't believe what a giant douche you are

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:11 am 

pizza_Place: Ban me
Darkside wrote:
HOVA wrote:

That wasn't a knock on you.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:12 am 

HOVA wrote:
Darkside wrote:
HOVA wrote:

I know. I was trying to have some fun with it, thus the Nasian emoticon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:13 am 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Mack is one of the laziest people in sports radio. No way in hell does he "work" 40 hours

And you would know this how?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:13 am 

RFDC wrote:
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Mack is one of the laziest people in sports radio. No way in hell does he "work" 40 hours

And you would know this how?

He read it in the Wild Conjecture Times?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:16 am 

Darkside wrote:
HOVA wrote:

I know. I was trying to have some fun with it, thus the Nasian emoticon.

Got it. :oops:

Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:06 am 

This is a whole lot of nothing about Kentucky/SEC basketball. If I had to guess, I would imagine that most hosts on the radio couldn't name the best player on half the teams in the Big Ten. Why would you expect a Chicago radio host to have a strong knowledge of John Wall? Yes, he is really good. Blake Griffin was really good last year too and I never heard talk about him on the radio besides Boers and Bernstein using him as an example as someone who was better than Tyler Hansbrough. Of course in March everyone is talking about them. I didn't hear much SEC football talk either in season until the SEC title game. Most of that centered around Tim Tebow.

What is there to say about John Wall?
"He's really good, and the #1 pick in the NBA draft next year guaranteed. He was recruited to Kentucky after they bought a coach who has had final fours vacated at two different stops, and has ties to the darkest side of AAU recruiting. It's likely given his past history that this whole season will be stricken from the record books. Wall will go on to the NBA and make millions and Calipari already makes millions and will keep on making them. He is a special talent that is all but guaranteed to be a multiple time all-star if he can avoid the law."

That's honestly the only interesting angle. No one cares about SEC basketball in Chicago in January. Just like no one cares about WNBA basketball in Chicago January through December. Just like no one cared about the Blackhawks for about a decade.

If you are a college basketball fan you already know about John Wall and enjoy his work. Why do I need a radio host to show a mild interest in him? I'd rather that time be spent learning about Big Ten basketball which is much more relevant to the Chicago market. I don't need Mac's thoughts on John Wall just like I don't need his thoughts on Greg Monroe or Cole Aldrich. Even Boers and Bernstein primarily use the time talking about John Wall to make fun of Luke Harangody for not being John Wall.

If John Wall was at Northwestern it may be an issue, but you shouldn't turn into a Chicago radio station in order to hear about SEC basketball.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Well put, Rick.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:22 am 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Mack is one of the laziest people in sports radio. No way in hell does he "work" 40 hours even if you count his air time and the amount of time he spends reading the Hammond Times on the can. No way does he want to give up one of the precious segments
on college basketball when he could be talking about "life".

dont worry gloopan karutz, even ferry fuckin cock gobblers like yourself are still allowed to have retarded opinions.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:05 pm 

Mac wrote:
u think college basketball is a big mover in chicago? if so, you're stupid. in the winter, everything we do has a tune out factor. hockey? not for everybody. bulls? same thing. spring training preview? not for everybody. bears coaching search? same thing. fact is, smartass, only baseball season and bears season produce daily events that have mass appeal.

On January 9, Mac wrote:
I'd be all for the contraction of both NHL and NBA seasons. And if 82 and 80 games are too many.. what does that say about the often somnambulent sport of baseball? 162 games over 6 months? Keep it. No wonder the Rams vs. the Lions had a bigger audience than the third game of the World Series this past fall. No sport is more overkilled than baseball and it's by a mile.

I really, really get tired of the daily over analysis of baseball. It's tedious

Man, doin' sports talkin' for a livin' is a bitch, ain't it? In the winter, groups of people are tuning out virtually every sports topic there possibly is, then in the summer, when baseball has daily mass appeal, you're tired of the tediousness of that somnambulent sport.

Go sit in with Eric & Kathy or something. I'm told topics like gas pump etiquette go over real well there and you'll never have to concern yourself again with the drudgery of basketball, baseball, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:12 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Boy, are you special.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:18 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
This is a whole lot of nothing about Kentucky/SEC basketball. If I had to guess, I would imagine that most hosts on the radio couldn't name the best player on half the teams in the Big Ten. Why would you expect a Chicago radio host to have a strong knowledge of John Wall? Yes, he is really good. Blake Griffin was really good last year too and I never heard talk about him on the radio besides Boers and Bernstein using him as an example as someone who was better than Tyler Hansbrough. Of course in March everyone is talking about them. I didn't hear much SEC football talk either in season until the SEC title game. Most of that centered around Tim Tebow.

What is there to say about John Wall?
"He's really good, and the #1 pick in the NBA draft next year guaranteed. He was recruited to Kentucky after they bought a coach who has had final fours vacated at two different stops, and has ties to the darkest side of AAU recruiting. It's likely given his past history that this whole season will be stricken from the record books. Wall will go on to the NBA and make millions and Calipari already makes millions and will keep on making them. He is a special talent that is all but guaranteed to be a multiple time all-star if he can avoid the law."

That's honestly the only interesting angle. No one cares about SEC basketball in Chicago in January. Just like no one cares about WNBA basketball in Chicago January through December. Just like no one cared about the Blackhawks for about a decade.

If you are a college basketball fan you already know about John Wall and enjoy his work. Why do I need a radio host to show a mild interest in him? I'd rather that time be spent learning about Big Ten basketball which is much more relevant to the Chicago market. I don't need Mac's thoughts on John Wall just like I don't need his thoughts on Greg Monroe or Cole Aldrich. Even Boers and Bernstein primarily use the time talking about John Wall to make fun of Luke Harangody for not being John Wall.

If John Wall was at Northwestern it may be an issue, but you shouldn't turn into a Chicago radio station in order to hear about SEC basketball.

Here is the thing. No one is saying you should know who Cousins or Bledsoe are. Not knowing the best player in college ball is inexcusable regardless of how long you make your post. You don't even have to watch college basketball to know this either. Regurgitating the articles you read or listening to B&B would be sufficient. I know you guys love Mac but if Lovie or Vinny was this incompetent doing a part of their job Mac and all of you guys would be hammering them everyday. Imagine it was them throwing out that first quote with all the Mike North/Boers arrogance. Again this isn't the only time Mac hasn't cared about following a major sport or knowing something that would be pretty much common knowledge to your average sports fan.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:26 pm 

I have to agree with HOVA, if North didnt know who John Wall was there would be 6 threads about it.

Mac said he should have known who he was, and he should.

On the other hand, Mac admitting that he's just not that into it is refreshing. Id prefer that route over pretending to care and reading ESPN for five minutes before the show, then claiming to know the sport

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:33 pm 

HOVA wrote:
Here is the thing. No one is saying you should know who Cousins or Bledsoe are. Not knowing the best player in college ball is inexcusable regardless of how long you make your post.
Who was the best player in college football this year? How often was he talked about before the Heisman trophy became a topic of conversation? I don't remember hearing the name Ndamukong Suh on any Chicago radio station until the Big 12 title game. This includes Boers and Bernstein. Right now is the equivalent of the end of October in football season.
HOVA wrote:
You don't even have to watch college basketball to know this either. Regurgitating the articles you read or listening to B&B would be sufficient. I know you guys love Mac but if Lovie or Vinny was this incompetent doing a part of their job Mac and all of you guys would be hammering them everyday.
He's a Chicago sports host. In January, college basketball is behind the Bears, Bulls, Hawks(for the first time in a while), and is probably equal to the Cubs/Sox even in the off-season. In Chicago, Northwestern's attempt to make it's first NCAA tournament is probably a more audience inducing story than the "John Wall is good and pretty much everyone agrees story".
HOVA wrote:
Imagine it was them throwing out that first quote with all the Mike North/Boers arrogance. Again this isn't the only time Mac hasn't cared about following a major sport or knowing something that would be pretty much common knowledge to your average sports fan.
I still don't know what exactly we want Mac to say. There really is no debate on Wall at this point. People are almost completely ignoring some of the off the field issues with Wall and Calipari so there is nothing really to talk about with that. I can't honestly think of any interesting topic about John Wall right now. Can you? What do you want them to talk about in regards to him?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Mac wrote:
Should I know who he is? Yeah. Am I embarrassed I don't? No. What I get a kick out of is people telling me it's my job to know these things. Scanning my contract this morning to see if there's any language on college basketball requirements. My job is to keep people listening. Some hosts accomplish that by analyzing sports. Some hosts fail to do that by analyzing sports. My record is pretty good doing sport,s but more importantly, entertaining. I'll take what we did with the Hawks limo adventure over John Wall in the "who gets more listeners?" derby.
Mac, I hate to say it, but that sounds like something Mike North would have spewed. Ignorance is not bliss. :shock:
For the record, my response was not about whether Mac knew who Wall was per se (not a big deal IMO), it was about the rest of his statement. I just found it to be rather dismissive in the same way that North regularly shot down any input regarding his show's direction. :?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
HOVA wrote:
Here is the thing. No one is saying you should know who Cousins or Bledsoe are. Not knowing the best player in college ball is inexcusable regardless of how long you make your post.
Who was the best player in college football this year? How often was he talked about before the Heisman trophy became a topic of conversation? I don't remember hearing the name Ndamukong Suh on any Chicago radio station until the Big 12 title game. This includes Boers and Bernstein. Right now is the equivalent of the end of October in football season.

You're right that I don't really need to hear John Wall conversation, just like I'm not sure how much Ndamakong Suh conversation I needed, but that's not really the point. If a host said "I don't know who Ndamakong Suh is" in October, it would send up a huge red flag. Not having discussion about an area of marginal interest to the fanbase is one thing. But not knowing something extremely basic to a major sport is another. If someone doesn't know who John Wall is, why should I care what he thinks about college basketball in general?

Now, the response to that could be that most people don't care about college basketball, bathroom discussion is more popular, etc. I think Ken's point about not turning into WGN is pertinent, but even ignoring that, a host should at least have the most basic rudiments of the sport down. I don't watch any hockey whatsoever and I've heard of Ovechkin. Etc.

Quote:
HOVA wrote:
You don't even have to watch college basketball to know this either. Regurgitating the articles you read or listening to B&B would be sufficient. I know you guys love Mac but if Lovie or Vinny was this incompetent doing a part of their job Mac and all of you guys would be hammering them everyday.
He's a Chicago sports host. In January, college basketball is behind the Bears, Bulls, Hawks(for the first time in a while), and is probably equal to the Cubs/Sox even in the off-season. In Chicago, Northwestern's attempt to make it's first NCAA tournament is probably a more audience inducing story than the "John Wall is good and pretty much everyone agrees story".
[/quote]
If you don't know who John Wall is, there's a pretty good chance he doesn't know who the best player on Northwestern is, or Illinois, or Purdue, or the Big 10 as a whole. It's impossible to watch any college basketball and not know who John Wall is, even if you're only watching Penn State/Iowa on ESPN 2. John Wall will be brought up. It is inevitable.

Once again, that doesn't mean that he must be discussed. But you should know who he is.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:15 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:
You're right that I don't really need to hear John Wall conversation, just like I'm not sure how much Ndamakong Suh conversation I needed, but that's not really the point. If a host said "I don't know who Ndamakong Suh is" in October, it would send up a huge red flag. Not having discussion about an area of marginal interest to the fanbase is one thing. But not knowing something extremely basic to a major sport is another. If someone doesn't know who John Wall is, why should I care what he thinks about college basketball in general?
You shouldn't really care what Mac has to say about college basketball. To be honest, I can't think of a single host who I care what they say about college basketball. Boers and Bernstein simply use college basketball discussion as an excuse to bash Luke Harangody. I'd rather they not talk about it at all too. I think that the Score could really use a Gerry Dinardo-type for college basketball.
Irish Boy wrote:
Now, the response to that could be that most people don't care about college basketball, bathroom discussion is more popular, etc. I think Ken's point about not turning into WGN is pertinent, but even ignoring that, a host should at least have the most basic rudiments of the sport down. I don't watch any hockey whatsoever and I've heard of Ovechkin. Etc.
That's a valid point but as I pointed out college basketball in Chicago is probably no better than the fourth most relevant sport right now. In March, that changes but in January you can get away with pretty much ignoring the topic. The bigger issue with Mac should be his acknowledged lack of NBA knowledge. Now that's something relevant to Chicago sports fans.
Irish Boy wrote:
If you don't know who John Wall is, there's a pretty good chance he doesn't know who the best player on Northwestern is, or Illinois, or Purdue, or the Big 10 as a whole. It's impossible to watch any college basketball and not know who John Wall is, even if you're only watching Penn State/Iowa on ESPN 2. John Wall will be brought up. It is inevitable.
I agree. Mac has not watched much college basketball this year if he's missed John Wall. It would be better if he were to get himself up to speed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:17 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I think that the Score could really use a Gerry Dinardo-type for college basketball.

As long as it isn't a guy that consistently sounds like he is out of breath and ready to have a grabber on the air.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:18 pm 

You mean that John Wall isn't just the place to find Spanky's phone number?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:30 pm 

Darkside wrote:
You mean that John Wall isn't just the place to find Spanky's phone number?

:lol: I almost choked

Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:32 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
This town's lack of interest in college basketball, and football to some extent for that matter, baffles me.

Not just Mac but pretty much every host in town ignores basketball at least for the most part. I always like when Silvy gives a heads up if they are going to have a guest on to talk about it because that's about the only bone the college fans are thrown in this town (and a great reason to be on Facebook!!).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:01 pm 

they dont talk enough nba. fuck college. money leeching bullshit handjob that most every school really is. fuck that shit. bunch of stupid broke 19 year olds and were supposed to talk about them? fuck that. im glad nobody talks college anything, because it sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:10 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
IkeSouth wrote:
fuck college.

Make your move...right, ike?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:21 pm 

Pappy's Crappy wrote:
Mac wrote:
u think college basketball is a big mover in chicago? if so, you're stupid. in the winter, everything we do has a tune out factor. hockey? not for everybody. bulls? same thing. spring training preview? not for everybody. bears coaching search? same thing. fact is, smartass, only baseball season and bears season produce daily events that have mass appeal.

On January 9, Mac wrote:
I'd be all for the contraction of both NHL and NBA seasons. And if 82 and 80 games are too many.. what does that say about the often somnambulent sport of baseball? 162 games over 6 months? Keep it. No wonder the Rams vs. the Lions had a bigger audience than the third game of the World Series this past fall. No sport is more overkilled than baseball and it's by a mile.

I really, really get tired of the daily over analysis of baseball. It's tedious

Man, doin' sports talkin' for a livin' is a bitch, ain't it? In the winter, groups of people are tuning out virtually every sports topic there possibly is, then in the summer, when baseball has daily mass appeal, you're tired of the tediousness of that somnambulent sport.

Go sit in with Eric & Kathy or something. I'm told topics like gas pump etiquette go over real well there and you'll never have to concern yourself again with the drudgery of basketball, baseball, etc.

Nice. Mac is at his best when he doesn't give a shit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:47 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
fuck college.

taken out of context much, dr. no?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:12 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
fuck college.

taken out of context much, dr. no?

It's what I do best, ike.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:18 pm 

i do your mom best

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:27 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:

i do your mom best

When are you getting off the weed, Dad?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next