It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Maybe it was just too obvious, but when Jessie and George made the biggest mistake of their careers and followed North, the Score was left without a Sunday morning baseball show, which was always one of the best shows on the Score allowing the guys who cover the teams to expound upon what they see and hear all week in more than a 1 minute blurb.

ZZ, was terrible as the host and he even made Schuster fall asleep.

Spiegs came in with basesloaded , late in the season and straightened that show out.

A full season of Sunday Spiegs for Baseball will be excellent.

Unless of course you hold your breath for my guy The Ranger taking Sox fans calls on Saturday and wanting to know what it will take for the Sox to get Adrian Gonzales, like Rongey is in on the deal and like it is even a deal in the first place!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
I'm just waiting for the first really bad Sox loss of the year when Ranger starts yelling at meatballs on the air.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:41 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
I'm just waiting for the first really bad Sox loss of the year when Ranger starts yelling at meatballs on the air.

LOL, I love that! Ranger is usually so calm with some of these guys I think it pisses off some of the callers that he doesn't get as mad as they are.

I could see the Sox offense starting slow as the focus is on moving runners, etc. and some guys need to get used to guys running, not taking pitches, protecting guys, etc. and I see the pitching holding down the other teams, which could result in a number of low scoring 1 run games. If they are losses, the complaints will be fun.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:15 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I miss george ofman on weekends. I miss Chet & that Ben Stein sounding dude on MVP,also.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:35 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
jimmypasta wrote:
I miss george ofman on weekends

That's possibly the one thing I thought I would never see posted on this board.

George is writing a blog for Chicago Now. And in true George style, he called out Jerry Angelo for saying the Bears weren't going to go "hog wild" in free agency. Sadly for George, it was Sweaty Teddy who said that, not Jerry.

Also BigFan, curious who the co-host is going to be. Doesn't sound like George Hamilton will be back on the show.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:54 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
"A full season of Sunday Spiegs for Baseball will be excellent." I don't know Big Fan, after the Friday transition, Spiegel may never be the same.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:59 am 

Didnt hear Friday Tran, enlighten me or I will need to go pod searching

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Seemed innoculous. When Mac said he just wanted to drive home and leave Spiegs arguing with Berns, well that was kinda cute.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
bigfan wrote:

Spiegs said he wanted someone to go after Howard for the shot he had on Rose. Bernstein basically was calling him and idiot and asking why he would want that. Spiegs had a good point saying that it shows to Rose that his team has his back. If they cant help him on the court the least they can do is protect him. Bernstein shot this suggestion down, big time.

On a side note, I really hope they move Waddle and Silvy or Mac and Spiegs to 1-6 or 2-6. I am in fucking radio hell listening to B&B on my way home from work, and CJH is not anything I will listen to again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
If they take Spiegs out of Mac's show once a week I'd love it if he did a weekend baseball show.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Panther pislA wrote:
Sox didn't go after Torii Hunter in '04 when he nearly decapitated C Jamie Burke on the bang-bang play at the plate. Later in the game, if one remembers, Carlos Lee legged-up like a big, fat pussy on a bang-bang play at 2nd.

That was the turning point for the season for the Sox, where they went from ready to take 1st place, to non-contenders.

You protect your own - period.

Problem with Bernsie is he cannot relate with "jocks" and on-field drama in general - his most physical activity involves Kleenex and a Val-U-Size bottle of Jergens!
According to Berns, nothing in sports matters. These guys are professionals and need no motivation, no team camaraderie, no coaching, etc. They are what they are and according to the numbers, no outside stimuli can change them.
I don't think he has much experience with real athletic pressure, either in a team setting or individually. When you're competing, everything matters and everything has an affect, both mental and physical. In a heated golf match, you try to get to your opponent verbally/mentally, as well as by your physical play. It's all part of the package. Just as physical play is in hockey and basketball or a little chin-music in baseball.

Does anyone remember George watching the baseball game on the Jetsons? Well, that's how Berns looks at sports.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
I always have a problem with that. Obviously, it means I need to call & explain things to Bernsie, which is the ultimate goal of a radio host. I persist in resisting the urge :-)

The problem is, it is NOT the goal of any team to win the super bowl (as he says.) It's their goal to fill the seats, get maximal value for TV, radio contracts, do the fiduciary, etc., duty. Which means, being entertaining and intruiging and all like that. With that in mind, being a team where I don't "win it all" and have to overpay everyone, and yet fill the coffers, is the way to go. Cubbies and Bears have been pursuing that path for decades (with occasional wins for the beloved.)

It may be YOUR GOAL for the team to win it all, and the teams love you for it, but that's it. The station's goal is for controversial things to happen in the meantime...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:45 pm 

Mr. Reason wrote:
Panther pislA wrote:
Sox didn't go after Torii Hunter in '04 when he nearly decapitated C Jamie Burke on the bang-bang play at the plate. Later in the game, if one remembers, Carlos Lee legged-up like a big, fat pussy on a bang-bang play at 2nd.

That was the turning point for the season for the Sox, where they went from ready to take 1st place, to non-contenders.

You protect your own - period.

Problem with Bernsie is he cannot relate with "jocks" and on-field drama in general - his most physical activity involves Kleenex and a Val-U-Size bottle of Jergens!
According to Berns, nothing in sports matters. These guys are professionals and need no motivation, no team camaraderie, no coaching, etc. They are what they are and according to the numbers, no outside stimuli can change them.
I don't think he has much experience with real athletic pressure, either in a team setting or individually. When you're competing, everything matters and everything has an affect, both mental and physical. In a heated golf match, you try to get to your opponent verbally/mentally, as well as by your physical play. It's all part of the package. Just as physical play is in hockey and basketball or a little chin-music in baseball.

Does anyone remember George watching the baseball game on the Jetsons? Well, that's how Berns looks at sports.

Not only that; Bernsie is the first to point out when players do something stupid its "Well, they're adults who never grew up and they're playing a kids game."

Which one is it; Bernsie? Are they professionals who emotions never effect their play; or are they emotional kids who never grew up?

As far as "the only goal" routine Dan spouts; he forgets the goal of the organization is to make money while entertaining their fans. A championship is the highest form of entertainment for a fan; but to say "Well, the season was a waste; they failed" takes away those cool moments that as fans we enjoyed. Being in attendance or watching Buehrle's perfect game, or Zambrano's no-hitter, or even in losing the Superbowl, Devin Hester's opening kickoff for a touchdown; that's a part of sports history.

All 3 seasons; their teams didn't win the title. So; are those moments not entertaining? I still look at Hester's kickoff TD run as something remarkable.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
And that winning a championship isn't mutually exclusive to any of the thousands of other things an organization can do to generate fans, advertisers, or any other kind of positive exposure.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Why watch the games and than get on the radio and talk about it, if you have no passion for it? B&B seem like they just HOPE something bad happens so they can continue ripping into the coaches and fans.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:35 pm 

bigfan wrote:

Bernstein and he got into it about Dwight Howard and Rose. Bernsie pretty well hammered him. Spiegel admitted his argument wasn't logical and then called Howard a "smiling Rick Mahorn." Boers then jumped in and it became a gangbang. That's the three sentence version. It was somewhat uncomfortable, with Spiegel getting kind of shrill. Winner-Bernstein.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Elar wrote:
bigfan wrote:

Bernstein and he got into it about Dwight Howard and Rose. Bernsie pretty well hammered him. Spiegel admitted his argument wasn't logical and then called Howard a "smiling Rick Mahorn." Boers then jumped in and it became a gangbang. That's the three sentence version. It was somewhat uncomfortable, with Spiegel getting kind of shrill. Winner-Bernstein.

Spiegiel shrill? Is Berns ever shrill in your world?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:14 pm 

Mr. Reason wrote:
Elar wrote:
bigfan wrote:

Spiegiel shrill? Is Berns ever shrill in your world?

Yes, but in this case Spiegel was shriller.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:18 pm 

I would like to hear Terry Boers and Speigs do a baseball show some weekend. I would listen to that. I respect both for thier baseball smarts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
jimmypasta wrote:
I would like to hear Terry Boers and Speigs do a baseball show some weekend. I would listen to that. I respect both for thier baseball smarts.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:20 pm 

I'm off base? I always like Terry talking baseball.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Also on the Friday transtion, it seemed that Mac wanted to leave early because of Boers and Bernstein saying the confrence tournaments didn't mean anything, like they said on Thursday. Mac and Spiegel are having fun with the Ohio State-Michigan game, enjoy it and during transtion, after the Howard-Rose thing, Mac and Spiegs are saying they enjoying the Big 10 tournament, then B and B say why it's not important, and the Mac says I'm going to the car see you guys.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Cafe Greco (Rockford)
I think Spiegs is at his best when talking baseball. He gets a little too "spirtual" (as he describes it) sometimes, but the guy knows what the fuck he is talking about.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:26 pm 

reents wrote:
Also on the Friday transtion, it seemed that Mac wanted to leave early because of Boers and Bernstein saying the confrence tournaments didn't mean anything, like they said on Thursday. Mac and Spiegel are having fun with the Ohio State-Michigan game, enjoy it and during transtion, after the Howard-Rose thing, Mac and Spiegs are saying they enjoying the Big 10 tournament, then B and B say why it's not important, and the Mac says I'm going to the car see you guys.

It appeared to be important to Minnesota, do they even get in the NCAA tourney without beating Michigan St?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:42 pm 

815Sox wrote:
I think Spiegs is at his best when talking baseball. He gets a little too "spirtual" (as he describes it) sometimes, but the guy knows what the fuck he is talking about.

He's like Keith Olbermann that way. KO should give it up on the political stuff and get back into what made him great; covering sports especially baseball.

I've busted Spiegs on a number of things; but he really does know baseball.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
It appeared to be important to Minnesota, do they even get in the NCAA tourney without beating Michigan St?[/quote]

I would say No to Minnesota if they lost Friday.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:08 pm 

They need to hire Stan from Bellwood to do the show.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
reents wrote:

It's like "Wet Blanket Radio". I realize it is their shtick and it's what they do, but for fucks sake, people enjoy certain things and the Conf. Tournaments are one of them. Why does it bother them, mostly Bernsie b/c Boers repeats what he says even if he doesn't understand it, so much? Why the need for the fucking crusade against everything? Harongody, the Tournaments, teammates sticking up for each other, chemistry, hot goalies...and the list goes on. The shrillness and Ivory Towerness of the show as a whole is getting a bit much these days. And Boers, as usual, is terrible.

Mac/Meat- "We like the tournaments, we have fun watching them, they mean something."

Bersnie - In his serious "I'm right and you're wrong" voice ..."They don't matter" which is said DIRECTLY after Mac/Meat mention the tournaments, like Bernsie was creaming himself waiting to pounce.

Mac/Meat - "We think they do, and we enjoyed them."

Bernsie - In his super shrill, pre-pubescent whining "Noooo, they dooooon't....!"

Mac - "Fuck this, I'm leaving".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I've put it out to the Score (and hopefully Spiegs) that I would be willing to co-host a sunday baseball show for free. Make it happen, Matt.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:34 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
I've put it out to the Score (and hopefully Spiegs) that I would be willing to co-host a sunday baseball show for free. Make it happen, Matt.

There is enough ignorant Cubs talk on the radio as it is. You should stick to planning board events.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.