It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:02 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
doug - evergreen park wrote:
That's what PD's in Chicago do...they fuck up.

They just change things is all. And you fear that :P

I am afraid I was correct in suggesting they fucked up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:11 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
SomeGuy wrote:
Magnus Buchan wrote:
Rosenbloom sounds decent today and Mac is uncharacteristically deferring to him, which is good. It is obvious that Mac doesn't even know that much about hockey or what is going on around the league when he has a guy like Rosenbloom there. Mac is just plain lazy and tries to get by on the shuckin' and jivin'. It works for some meatballs but not most which is why he gives up so much of the base that M&H deliever to him. Renewal may not be his choice.

He admitted as much on the show yesterday. He doesn't care about the league and only cares to watch/pay attention to hockey when the Hawks are doing well. His metaphor or whatever it was (?) about the deformed baby being still retarded was pretty weak.

I tried telling folks here that Jesse Rogers was a hockey genius.

No one would listen.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Frank Coztansa wrote:
You guys probably have a little Mac voodoo doll that you beat up with tiny little hockey sticks.

and you probably havea Mac blowup doll that you "beat up" with your own tiny little stick.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Magnus Buchan wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Magnus Buchan wrote:
Rosenbloom sounds decent today and Mac is uncharacteristically deferring to him, which is good. It is obvious that Mac doesn't even know that much about hockey or what is going on around the league when he has a guy like Rosenbloom there. Mac is just plain lazy and tries to get by on the shuckin' and jivin'. It works for some meatballs but not most which is why he gives up so much of the base that M&H deliever to him. Renewal may not be his choice.

He admitted as much on the show yesterday. He doesn't care about the league and only cares to watch/pay attention to hockey when the Hawks are doing well. His metaphor or whatever it was (?) about the deformed baby being still retarded was pretty weak.

Yeah, I only lasted 18 minutes yesterday before PTFBing.

Even so, not knowing that Detroit is making a strong run, come on? You're on a Chicago sports talk station and hold yourself out as the hockey guy...read the frigging paper

Strange choice of wording if that's what he said...especially given the circumstances.

It is a bit lazy, but hell, at least he admitted it. You may not pay attention to the league as a whole but at least fucking know what is going on in the Division/Conference in which your favorite team resides. It's a simple request and wouldn't you want to know that for personal sports rooting?

Oh well. It is what it is.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:43 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Bucky Chris wrote:
Can't see them not locking Mac up long term after what he has done with that time slot. This is bar far the best the Score has been in awhile.

I too though, am interested to see what happens. I expect Mac and Meat stay together... but unless I missed some news, isn't Terry taking the summer off? If so, I pray they don't give a spot to Laurence.

It's about time they give Goff a chance. If this board is even a sliver of a sample size of the listeners, Goff would be well received.

Goff is the best thing they have sitting on the bench. The guy is genuinely funny. And I love the way he calls out Bernsie.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Frank Coztansa wrote:
You guys probably have a little Mac voodoo doll that you beat up with tiny little hockey sticks.

By "by tiny little hockey sticks", were you implying something?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: sit down
1 year is the most the score is likely to extend any contracts this year. No NFL and no NBA in 2011.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Mac and Spiegel, seemingly, really worked on their show when they started up last year and all the way to the end of the Bears season. Now it seems like it's Cadillac cruising. I also get annoyed with the non stop plugs for Mac's guys (Hey Mac, radio stations make money by selling commercial time. If all I had to do was put product in your hand to get a free commercial day after day; I would never have to buy a commercial) This is coming from the guy who would slam Tiny for plugging his guys all the time. MAC, PICK A LANE!!!! Mac used to be appointment radio, whether it was the Heavy Fuel Crew or MJH. He needs a partner who will oppose, challenge, and keep him on his toes, Spiegel is not that guy. If anything, they seem to agree more often than not.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:17 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
denisdman wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

By "by tiny little hockey sticks", were you implying something?

Other than them being losers? No, not really believe it or not.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Allegro con Pizza
OOgie wrote:
I like Hockey and McNeil is probably talking a bit too much of it, but I think a big part of that is because nothing is trumping hocket right now. So, while you might not love the excessive puck talk, you can't be upset he isn't talking Bulls, Cubs or Sox. Next week we can complain.

I don't mind the hockey talk...what I mind is lazy, uninformed meatball hockey talk. I could get this crap from any guy on my block.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Is there more to this? :?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Magnus Buchan wrote:
OOgie wrote:
I like Hockey and McNeil is probably talking a bit too much of it, but I think a big part of that is because nothing is trumping hocket right now. So, while you might not love the excessive puck talk, you can't be upset he isn't talking Bulls, Cubs or Sox. Next week we can complain.

I don't mind the hockey talk...what I mind is lazy, uninformed meatball hockey talk. I could get this crap from any guy on my block.

+1

Mackeyfish needs to wake up and smell the coffee. The days of big money in radio are gone. He's already burned every bridge he has. The only gig he could get last year, outside of webio, was middays at a cut rate.

Who is gonna hire a lazy blow hard for big money?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Is there more to this? :?

Presently, no. In the past...most assuredly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Since Mac & Spiegs replaced Laurence Holmes, Dan Hampton & Mike Murphy middays last June, 670 The SCORE has become a lot more listenable during the day. I think it's only a matter of time before WSCR not only extends Mac & Spiegs' contracts, but also continues to be the White Sox flagship beyond this season.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
The trend around CBS Radio is to drop baseball broadcasts: Pirates, Cardinals, a few others here and there. I think the only CBS stations left with baseball pxp are WCBS, the Fan, and the Score. From what I understand, it's not as if the White Sox are a huge revenue-generator for the station. I wouldn't be shocked if they weren't brought back.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:54 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
The trend around CBS Radio is to drop baseball broadcasts: Pirates, Cardinals, a few others here and there. I think the only CBS stations left with baseball pxp are WCBS, the Fan, and the Score. From what I understand, it's not as if the White Sox are a huge revenue-generator for the station. I wouldn't be shocked if they weren't brought back.

WCBS Radio carries the Yankees, WFAN carries the Mets & WSCR carries the White Sox. Curious, I think CBS bosses are concerned that Sirius/XM Satellite Radio has cut into their team's MLB radio revenue and ratings. This was before 670 The SCORE wrestled away the rights to carry the White Sox during the 2005 season. Let's also not forget that ESPN Radio 1000, the team's former home lost a great deal of money on their broadcasts, along with the Bulls. Keep in mind that when ESPN Radio bought WMVP, the Sox & Bulls' rights were originally part of the station's $21 million sale in 1998. WMVP was paying about $7.5 million a year to carry the Sox & Bulls back then, compared to about $2.5 million that WSCR has paid to carry the Sox since 2006. WMVP doesn't pay a rights fee now to carry the Bulls, and they have a year left on their current deal.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:59 pm 

If they do bring back the Sox, they're sure not gonna pay $2.5MM a year to do it. I hope they go elsewhere. It almost might make the Score somewhat neutral in their coverage. Nahhhh.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Allegro con Pizza
Shark, I think you're probably right on both counts. They'll re-up Mac for a year and re-signt he Sox. Meatpants may be out of a job. It occurs to me that with Kaplan out at WGN they may bring him over to join Mac. As most have said hear Mac and Meat is just a tough listen. Since Mac is the marquis guy and ratings are good he's prbably safe but they may look to shore up the show and bring sports back into it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:03 pm 

OOgie wrote:

Yeah...I listen to both stations on my drive to & from work...and at lunch time. I'm hating all the hockey talk, and while I want to bitch about it...you are correct in that it is the only real thing going at this time. I listened to Mike & Mike this morning talking about Donovan McNabb possibly being traded. That interested me a hell of a lot more than the hockey talk going on down the dial.

Anyway...I get it, but come on baseball.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:04 pm 

Magnus Buchan wrote:
Shark, I think you're probably right on both counts. They'll re-up Mac for a year and re-signt he Sox. Meatpants may be out of a job. It occurs to me that with Kaplan out at WGN they may bring him over to join Mac. As most have said hear Mac and Meat is just a tough listen. Since Mac is the marquis guy and ratings are good he's prbably safe but they may look to shore up the show and bring sports back into it.

Magnus, David Kaplan is not leaving WGN Radio 720, even though bosses of the Tribune-owned news/talk and Cubs/Blackhawks flagship ought to be ashamed of themselves for hiring a CONVICTED FELON in ex-City Clerk Jim Laski to help fill the void on nights the Cubs & Hawks don't play! :x :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:07 pm 

Kaplan doesn't really strike me as a sidecar guy, though.

Listen. You and I know full well that if Spiegel gets launched, they're going to give middays back to Laurence again. Mitch loves him. Listeners beyond our little corner of the world love him. He's already under contract and gets every shift possible. He's sort of one of "Mac's guys," but then again he positions himself as everyone's guy so who knows.

A lot of you guys can't stand Meatpants. I think he's pretty good. Certainly better than this alternative.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:10 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
SHARK wrote:
Magnus Buchan wrote:

Magnus, David Kaplan is not leaving WGN Radio 720, even though bosses of the Tribune-owned news/talk and Cubs/Blackhawks flagship ought to be ashamed of themselves for hiring a CONVICTED FELON in ex-City Clerk Jim Laski to help fill the void on nights the Cubs & Hawks don't play! :x :oops:

Do you have a problem with Cliff Kelley working in the business too SHARK?

Jim Laski shouldn't be on because he is uninformed and uninteresting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:10 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Kaplan doesn't really strike me as a sidecar guy, though.

Listen. You and I know full well that if Spiegel gets launched, they're going to give middays back to Laurence again. Mitch loves him. Listeners beyond our little corner of the world love him. He's already under contract and gets every shift possible. He's sort of one of "Mac's guys," but then again he positions himself as everyone's guy so who knows.

A lot of you guys can't stand Meatpants. I think he's pretty good. Certainly better than this alternative.

Spiegs has grown on me as well, and when Mac rejoined the SCORE, Curious, he wanted someone who he felt could drive the show when he's away. One person Spiegs isn't is Harry Teinowitz, whom Mac has not been afraid to fire shots towards, and I don't mean the ones Harry drinks either...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

Questions:

1. Does anybody think that Mitch is actually considering any of his long-time bench guys (Drinky, Goff, Paruch) to be Mac's new partner? Was Goff's recent stints with Mac a "Try-out"?

2. Does Mac have a say on his partner? He fought for Spiegal when he came back to the Score, but does he have the ability to keep him or have a say in his new partner?

3. Will Terry Boers cry like a baby, bitch and moan, and refuse to do transition if the Score gives Mac a new partner of whom he doesn't approve?

4. Remember that article that O'Donnell wrote a while back? He said somebody was at the SCORE was "politicing" for a day part show. I took a guess and said it was Rosie. I believe that "Rosenbloom and Mac" is the new 9-1 show. I actually think that would be a good show.

5. Will Batman's opinion matter to the SCORE? Will Gotham be saved?

Discuss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Tad Queasy wrote:
spadaesq wrote:
Moves to afternoons with Bernstein. Holmes gets 9:00-1:00 with Koslowski.

What if they put Ron Rivera and Mike Murphy in that timeslot? They could give it a clever name like "Chico and the Murph" or something like that.

They worked before, Tad. Murph sort of "taught" Rivera how to be a host. His previous pupil was Buffone. :x

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Beardown wrote:
Questions:

3. Will Terry Boers cry like a baby, bitch and moan, and refuse to do transition if the Score gives Mac a new partner of whom he doesn't approve?

Teddy Greenstein? Bruce Wolf? Well, I see him being a pain with Teddy...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Magnus Buchan wrote:
Mac's ratings are currently much better than Murph's were for the last several years. He gets a big audience from M&H and loses a chunk of it. B&B gets some of it back in the afternoon. North and Murph never had ratings, even at their peaks like M&H and Mac have had this past year.

Wrong. Murph had the highest rated show on WSCR when they yanked him off the air. I'm pretty sure that Mac & Meats ratings are below Murphs.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Curious Hair wrote:

I'm pretty sure the White Sox ratings on WSCR are lower than the show they replace. I hope the Score lets the Sox go elsewhere.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:49 pm 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:

Mackeyfish needs to wake up and smell the coffee. The days of big money in radio are gone. He's already burned every bridge he has. The only gig he could get last year, outside of webio, was middays at a cut rate.

Who is gonna hire a lazy blow hard for big money?

CBS TELEVISION ARE MY GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I have a hard time getting on Mac's case about being boring because, this is a boring time in sports. The Bulls suck, baseball hasn't started yet, the Hawks are in it, and who cares about the Bears at this time of the year? Don't give me how important the NCAA is; its NOT the sporting event CBS trumpets it to be. Gamblers care about it; sports fans?

Maybe.

As far as the return of Mike Murphy?

PTFB radio there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

No matter what shakeups occur at the Score or ESPN, it won't interrupt my new found relationship with Hair Nation and The Boneyard on the way to and from work. Commercial and idiot host/guest free - despite Eddie Trunk.

The name's Rockmore. Beef Rockmore