It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Scorehead wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
The trend around CBS Radio is to drop baseball broadcasts: Pirates, Cardinals, a few others here and there. I think the only CBS stations left with baseball pxp are WCBS, the Fan, and the Score. From what I understand, it's not as if the White Sox are a huge revenue-generator for the station. I wouldn't be shocked if they weren't brought back.

I'm pretty sure the White Sox ratings on WSCR are lower than the show they replace. I hope the Score lets the Sox go elsewhere.

I don't think the Sox are going anywhere, guys...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:50 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Well, do you have a guy, or is this just you as a White Sox fan hoping they don't suffer the embarrassment of getting knocked off their 50,000-watt perch, which one must admit is slightly gratuitous for a team whose fanbase doesn't even cover an entire metro? If Emmis got serious about their sports-on-FM thing and put the Sox on Q101, you'd pretty much reach everyone you need to reach within that signal, except for maybe needing affiliates in Kankakee or La Salle.

I can't speak with any authority on future plans, but I can say that I've heard the billing isn't so hot, which at the very least could make CBS rethink paying a rights fee. The Hawks and WGN have some sort of revenue-sharing agreement now, as opposed to WGN paying a rights fee (Score with Sox) or the Hawks buying the time (Score with Hawks). Maybe that's in their future. Straight-up rights fees are kind of a dying breed in play-by-play, which made the Score's initial plunge raise a few eyebrows.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

When's the official announcement to the media?

This has a certain "Dave McGinnis signing" aura to it.

The name's Rockmore. Beef Rockmore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:10 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Well, do you have a guy, or is this just you as a White Sox fan hoping they don't suffer the embarrassment of getting knocked off their 50,000-watt perch, which one must admit is slightly gratuitous for a team whose fanbase doesn't even cover an entire metro? If Emmis got serious about their sports-on-FM thing and put the Sox on Q101, you'd pretty much reach everyone you need to reach within that signal, except for maybe needing affiliates in Kankakee or La Salle.

I can't speak with any authority on future plans, but I can say that I've heard the billing isn't so hot, which at the very least could make CBS rethink paying a rights fee. The Hawks and WGN have some sort of revenue-sharing agreement now, as opposed to WGN paying a rights fee (Score with Sox) or the Hawks buying the time (Score with Hawks). Maybe that's in their future. Straight-up rights fees are kind of a dying breed in play-by-play, which made the Score's initial plunge raise a few eyebrows.

Curious, I'm reminded of what the Bulls did a few years ago with the former 105.9 WCKG before they dropped FM Talk and "Fresh"-ened their format, prompting the Bulls to move their games back to ESPN Radio 1000 2 years ago. Now known legally as WCFS, the ratings haven't been much better and longtime Chicago radio programmer Bill Gamble was recently fired after programming both Fresh 105.9 and US 99.5, 2 of 670 The SCORE's sister stations in the CBS Radio family. CBS bosses want to do everything they can in efforts to jumpstart Fresh 105.9 in particular, and if ratings don't improve soon despite all the promos & billboards around Chicago since it launched a couple years ago, an "FM SCORE" might become a reality.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Cafe Greco (Rockford)
Scorehead wrote:
Mac & Berns would suck. I still think Meatpants gets reassigned as the Scores Baseball guy once Cowley leaves for AM1000, & perhaps Goff finally gets a chance to co-host with Mac.

Pretty much what I'm feeling like. Goff does two shows with Mac, goes to the Hockey game with him on sunday.

I really liked the two of them paired together. I don't think Spiegs is bad either, but I think his true talent is talking baseball.

I really hope the Sox stay with the Score. I do alot of travel for work and live in Rockford. I like being able to listen to the games anywhere in the Northern Midwest.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:29 pm 

815Sox wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
Mac & Berns would suck. I still think Meatpants gets reassigned as the Scores Baseball guy once Cowley leaves for AM1000, & perhaps Goff finally gets a chance to co-host with Mac.

Pretty much what I'm feeling like. Goff does two shows with Mac, goes to the Hockey game with him on sunday.

I really liked the two of them paired together. I don't think Spiegs is bad either, but I think his true talent is talking baseball.

I really hope the Sox stay with the Score. I do alot of travel for work and live in Rockford. I like being able to listen to the games anywhere in the Northern Midwest.

Even if the Sox go elsewhere, XM/Sirius Satellite Radio broadcasts every single team, including the one on the South side.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Cafe Greco (Rockford)
SHARK wrote:
815Sox wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

Even if the Sox go elsewhere, XM/Sirius Satellite Radio broadcasts every single team, including the one on the South side.

I have Satellite Radio but have to admit that I always tune to the score to listen, but I'd think that if the Sox go, so do the shows related to them. Also, do you have to pay extra for some sort of package.

I'm just being selfish but I do also listen to the games on the radio at the office.