It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:12 am 

I finally realized why I dislike The Danny Mac Show SO much. I couldn't figure it out for quite some time, as I recall really liking Dan during his first run at The Score. As I've posted, I did not follow him to WMVP...so really had no idea what he had become UNTIL he returned to 670.

Other than Jim Rome, I cannot think of one other sports talk host that makes his show, day in and day out, SO MUCH about himself. I understand that the personality of the host IS what sets it apart from others, but what I'm saying is that McNeil talks about himself more than anyone else I've ever listened to.

If it's not some "hilarious" parody song that took him three hours to pen (and 10 minutes to tell us about), it's how he really knows how to grill. If he's not explaining his upcoming menu for said grilling, he's talking about what a wonderful dinner he had (and usually likes to name drop whomever might have been so lucky to dine with him that evening). If he's not talking about a meal he got comp'd, he's regaling the listeners with stories of the golf courses on his "tour" ... where he gets comp'd. While he might be knee deep in a re-telling of some amazingly funny stories from his time in a suite at some game (where he was comp'd), he will certainly be able to let us know how his Commitment To Excellence is going and how he had to avoid some of the delicious fare (that he was comp'd). And, hey, the guy might be busy explaining (or writing about) the Utopia that his Hall Of Fame Room is ... but he certainly won't let that keep him from filling you in on the goings-on of his hilariously nicknamed buddies from IN.

Anyway, I realize that there is a certain portion of the listening public that eats this stuff up. But is that a huge number of people, and if he dialed it back (just a little bit) would that hurt the feelings of his vocal ALS?

I guess Dan is Dan, and he's not going to tweak his approach to please some "hater" on a messageboard. But as a guy who desires to keep the radio/stream dialed into 670 ALL day, his daily 4 hour Me-Fest abortion is THE reason I can't. I don't love Mully and Hanley, but they at lest stay focused on sports/entertainment...so a random tune in to their show won't, almost always, result in a 8 minute jag about what their buddies are doing this weekend. I enjoy Boers and Bernstein, despite some repetition and laziness issues. And while I strongly dislike Larry Holmes/Rozner, most of the other update/weekend hosts are a-ok in my book. It's Danny Mac, along with his sing-songy hack of a partner, that has become unlistenable for me.

I know that some will run in here and type how funny it is that I am complaining about someone "making it all about them" by talking "all about me", but this is a messageboard....not a daily 4 hour radio show in the 3rd largest market in the country. And it's not jealousy, I am more than satisfied with my life and am not some "guy living in his mom's basement wishing that he had the life of McNeil....FAR from it. Again, I don't really know what McNeil was like during his time away from The Score - but I find it impossible that people really can't see how he is becoming (or maybe HAS become) Mike North Part II. Some of the major talking points and lifestyle choices smack of true North wannabe....and while North was a great story, we all see what he has become. Maybe Dan is fine with that career path, I don't know - I just know that his show has NOT improved with his beloved "flight miles", I'd say it's gotten worse and sadly the hacks at 1000, or even Rome, have become a much better alternative to listening to McNeil delight us with the blow-by-blow of his amazing personal life.

Maybe cramming your personal life into your radio show is part of some magical formula, but not for me as a listener - especially not when it's an epic blowhard like McNeil.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:15 am 

pizza_Place: *
Harry Seaward wrote:
I finally realized why I dislike The Danny Mac Show SO much.

But you listen. And you formulate paragraph after paragraph about your dislike. If you don't like don't listen, they make chocolate if you don't like vanilla.

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:15 am 

Minimum 5 page thread....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: *
Douchebag wrote:

Ok i'll take the over.....Who do you love????
:lol:

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:18 am 

You make some good points, and just like any host out there he does go overboard on some parts of his style.

However, his entire style is pretty much who he is and it's made me a fan since I found out in 2004 that they had radio stations in Chicago that talked about sports.

There are two hosts in this town that are worth listening to regardless of co-host. Dan McNeil and Dan Bernstein have things that annoy you but overall they are the best we have.

So, you are right but you take the good with the bad and it's mostly good. That's just my opinion. I understand completely how people could be annoyed by Mac to the point of avoiding the show.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:19 am 

Douchebag wrote:
I wonder what Irish Boy is thinking about this. I wonder if spanky is reading this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:22 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
i find the personal anecdotes more interesting than the sports talk.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
Pretty much all talk formats are about the hosts to some extent. Better than arguing with meatballs IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Gino's East.
How could anyone only talk sports for 20 hours a week?

What I hate is what they do on Mike and Mike: It's a two hour show in which they talk about the same shit in hours 3 and 4 as 1 and 2. Same bits. Same stories. They don't even try to make it sound different. THAT is why I stopped listening to that show.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:29 am 

Not an ALSer here, but a serious question for Harry, why do you listen and post on the show? The difference between Mac and North/Rome is that Mac is winning his time slot, where the other two were consistently getting blown out. If people stop listening, the buzz on the show dies down, then Mac will either adapt or go away. I like the show, but there are times I PTFB, but that is the same for every station I listen to on a daily basis.
Feel free to post and blast the show, that is what this board is for, but if the haters keep listening (as they seem to) and keep posting and talking about the show, Mac will keep winning the time slot and stay the way he is.
The personal stuff he discusses is fine by me as it is genuinely who Mac is from the little I know him on a personal level.

the victory cry of low achievers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:30 am 

NSJ wrote:
What I hate is what they do on Mike and Mike: It's a two hour show in which they talk about the same shit in hours 3 and 4 as 1 and 2. Same bits. Same stories. They don't even try to make it sound different. THAT is why I stopped listening to that show.

Did you know that Greenberg is a metrosexual and Golic is fat?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: ***
NSJ wrote:
How could anyone only talk sports for 20 hours a week?

Generalist sports talk radio is increasingly irrelevant in a world where people can specialize in one particular sport, provide higher quality insight, and deliver their product cheaply and in more concentrated form (either blogs or podcasts). Advertising dollars are beginning to follow that stream.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:38 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
i find the personal anecdotes more interesting than the sports talk.

I guess that's my problem, I don't. I have no grasp on how big the portion of the potential listening audience has your same feeling on the issue...apparently it's large enough to keep him on the air, as-is. It drives me CRAZY.

As far as still listening even though I hate it, I really do not listen much. I didn't listen, at all, for a few months. I do tune in occasionally, as there are some GOOD parts to Dan's delivery, but it isn't long before he launches into some personal tidbit. From what I've heard, EVEN when meatpants pipes up it's usually STILL about Dan. Will Dan like what he has to say - does Dan want to talk about this - will this, as he thinks, drive Dan crazy, he watched/heard something thinking about how Dan would react etc. Just about ever facet of the show, at least from my relatively small sample size, ultimately comes back to Dan (including, oft times, the update).

I just don't need my sports show to be a peek behind the curtain into the host's life....although, I guess, some like it. I guess I just find him obnoxious, and constantly hearing him talk about his life doesn't help. (On that note, Bernstein sounds like an obnoxious prick ... but other than an occasional story about his kid or some Duke story, he doesn't really choose (or have to) lean on personal crap to get through a show - he and Terry are funny/interesting enough to NOT make it about them ALL the time.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: Gino's East.
Harry Seaward wrote:
From what I've heard, EVEN when meatpants pipes up it's usually STILL about Dan. Will Dan like what he has to say - does Dan want to talk about this - will this, as he thinks, drive Dan crazy, he watched/heard something thinking about how Dan would react etc. Just about ever facet of the show, at least from my relatively small sample size, ultimately comes back to Dan (including, oft times, the update).

It's called The Danny Mac Show.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: ***
The problem to me is that Mac is a pretty charismatic individual. That's not a problem in itself, but it tends to rub off on those around him. They start talking like him, agreeing with him, making the same types of jokes, the same types of arguments. Spiegel has fallen into that trap. When that happens, Mac becomes even more Macish, and there's no check upon the most grating tendencies.

That's why I've said, all along, that Bernstein and Mac need to be paired together. Both of them have the same problem in some sense. Neither one would let their personality cave to the other. They also focus upon different sports, so you would be able to let one drive during certain conversations and the other drive during others. They might eventually kill each other, but that would be entertaining radio as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:53 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I wish I could read about Mac's HOF room somewhere...

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:59 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Very ALS'ey description of the show.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:24 am 

Irish Boy wrote:
That's why I've said, all along, that Bernstein and Mac need to be paired together. Both of them have the same problem in some sense. Neither one would let their personality cave to the other. They also focus upon different sports, so you would be able to let one drive during certain conversations and the other drive during others. They might eventually kill each other, but that would be entertaining radio as well.

Hood would do it just as well, but I still like Meatpants.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:34 am 

I tend to agree with premise of this post. It is what it is though, and I strike a cord with Mac on the grilling, golf, movies, high def, music, and so on...and yes, I'm a sports nut, so I get that conversation as well.

At 1000 he had the afternoon saloon. 3 guys in bar talking about sports & life. OK...correction 2 guys and 1 whinny ass not funny little bitch in bar talking sports & life.

That is the general attraction. If it gets to MAC'y for me....PTFB.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:39 am 
100000 CLUB

Harry Seaward wrote:
I don't listen and I'm not entertained, but here's 5 more paragraphs of my thoughts on this show

Between that and your avatar, you are just oozing with credibility.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:45 am 

I just cannot hardly believe that Harry Suckwad dislikes something.

If you dislike it so much, then stop listening. Seems simple enough.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: None
I agree with IB. His grating tendencies wouldn't be so noticeable if he wasn't the complete alpha male/leader of the show and was kept at least somewhat in check.

Hell, even during the fifteen minutes of transition with Dan and Terry he's more likeable and listenable than any other time during the previous four hours.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Douchebag wrote:
Did you know that Greenberg is a metrosexual and Golic is fat?

:shock:

I hadn't heard...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:01 pm 

RFDC" & "Frank Coztansa wrote:
Can't believe this douchebag wrote this post...he could just stop listening and it doesn't appear he likes anything, shocking....blahblahblah

Amazing, yet completely predictable, that you guys would stop in to rip me -- telling me to stop listening, as it's simple. If my horrendous post bothered you SO much, and was such a waste of space, seems pretty simple to me that you could simply shake your heads, climb back up on your high horse, and simply laugh about what a tool I am and not honor me with the energy it took to compose your post. OR, go ahead and post in my worthless thread ... only stopping in to take shots at me, and not discuss the topic. Either way. You guys seem to have it figured out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

Harry Seaward wrote:
and simply laugh about what a tool I am

I laugh at anybody who claims that they hate something so much, never listen, but then are still able to manage to take the time and write 10+ paragraphs on why they hate the show.

There are lots of things that I don't like and/or don't listen too. So why would I take the time or effort to write umpteen paragarphs explaining that? Better yet, how in the fuck would I have enough information to formulate 2 or 3 paragraphs, much less 10, if I didn't listen? except the cubs :p

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:21 pm 

Harry Seaward wrote:
Amazing, yet completely predictable, that you guys would stop in to rip me -- telling me to stop listening, as it's simple.

:lol: :lol: What are you like a crack addict that just cannot get off the stuff? I mean come on, it is a radio show.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
I tend to agree with Rick's thoughts in that you take the bad with the good...as long as the good is entertaining. I like Mac now that he's back at The Score. My only real complaint with Mac's personal tidbits is that they often come off as bragging - either in tone or content. A story about something that happened to you while commuting to work doesn't have to include the fact that you were driving a Lexus. Maybe the frequent mentions are part of a quid pro quo with Lexus, Allen Bros., etc. but they still make me roll my eyes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I always love this discussion. Mac is no doubt doing more of the man show, than any sports show on the station.

for those dislike his show, what do you dislike that he talks about?

1. Sports? Despite thoughts, it is most discussed
2. Food? I would actually like more REAL food talk, so you can tell me it is discussed too much
3. Music? Plenty of music talk
4. Movies? Plenty of movie quotes
5. Guys? Basic "I Love You Man" type of talk

Mayeb it isn't the music, food, movies or guy talk you want, but we all know it's not being discussed anywhere else.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:40 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
bigfan wrote:
I always love this discussion. Mac is no doubt doing more of the man show, than any sports show on the station.

for those dislike his show, what do you dislike that he talks about?

1. Sports? Despite thoughts, it is most discussed NBA knowledge is shameful for a guy making his salary!
2. Food? I would actually like more REAL food talk, so you can tell me it is discussed too much. If that talk is so great,how come there is not a "food network" station??
3. Music? Plenty of music talk (Fine,but most of the talk centers around bands that have not had a hit in 30 years)
4. Movies? Plenty of movie quotes (common male banter-this is fine.)
5. Guys? Basic "I Love You Man" type of talk (Mac talking about seeing his buddies naked seems all too common?!?!)
Mayeb it isn't the music, food, movies or guy talk you want, but we all know it's not being discussed anywhere else.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:02 pm 

I'm fine with the "other stuff outside of sports" in SPURTS, but laying out a bullet point list of 'all' of the topics he does only helps my argument that he is Mike North Jr.

This is a sports station - he is supposed to be a sports guy, right? I assume if he was going to be a Renaissance Man like North, he'd end up on a station like WLS, or something, to REALLY spray to all fields.

Anyway, my issue is more with EVERYTHING on the show coming back to him. Yes, I know, the show with TWO hosts is aptly called The Danny Mac Show, so why am I questioning anything?

I think Dan can be entertaining, but the constant handjobs he gives himself over his life just aren't great radio to me. I eagerly await a thread here announcing a new weekly segment with one of his NW Indiana pals. Sure it's only a matter of time until he announces a Hug A Redneck Day or scores himself a show on Comcast where he sits down and talks to random local celebs about himself.