It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:35 pm 

Harry, I think you are on the mark with most of your comments - especially the observation that Mac is following the North douche path step for step.

Personally, I'm okay with some discussion of his personal life and non-sports topics. Its the name-dropping and big-timing manner in which he goes about it that makes it difficult for me to listen for very long. He's just a fucking hillbilly who thinks he has really made it big because he drives a Lexus and eats prawns.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:40 pm 

Harry Seaward wrote:
This is a sports station - he is supposed to be a sports guy, right?

Whatever gave you that idea?

He has often professed a complete lack of interest in the NBA, didn't know who one of the top players in college basketball was, on this very board said daily baseball analysis during the season is tedious, claims to love hockey yet even some of the non-Mac-haters here admitted he was way out of his league when trading hockey knowledge with someone like Steve Rosenbloom, etc., etc., etc.

This argument, which is now going on for about the 16,849th time since I've been reading this board, is one of those where both sides are right. Harry, all your reasons why the Mac show is a shit-fest are completely valid in my opinion and you have every right to post them here, but if it's really bothering you that much, you should do what Frank and RFDC say to do and what I did--stop listening. What else can you do?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Yes, and pure sports talk, 100% sports talk, with nothing but acumen and stats is incredibly boring. Which is why I always liked the discussions here about certain hosts not being "knowledgeable enough" -- yeah, but are they entertaining?

There's a lot of lackluster talent on the sportstalk genre. I've listened to Dallas' "Ticket" and New York's WFAN, and they suck. Do they know the topic? Probably. Are they interesting and/or engaging? No.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
I have no problem with Mac constantly referencing "Slapshot", "Caddyshack", The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and other non-sports topics on his show...I also don't have a problem with Spiegs occasionally talking about his band either...It's all Chicago sports talk plus guy talk between 9a-1p weekdays, remember...Besides, LoHo constantly mentions the "Family Guy" skit about Wisconsin and "chunky" Carrie, actress Leah Remini, from the 2004-05 season of "King of Queens"...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Turd Ferguson wrote:
Harry, I think you are on the mark with most of your comments - especially the observation that Mac is following the North douche path step for step.

Personally, I'm okay with some discussion of his personal life and non-sports topics. Its the name-dropping and big-timing manner in which he goes about it that makes it difficult for me to listen for very long. He's just a fucking hillbilly who thinks he has really made it big because he drives a Lexus and eats prawns.

I noticed today McNeil taking shots once again at Teinowitz for his name dropping that he would do with annoying regularity on the old MJH show. Don't get me wrong, I think Harry is nothing but a shill but what do you think your doing McNeil and I am not talking about the PAID ads you read? This is why I don't like McNeil anymore...he is a very insincere guy and is becoming a North.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
koach klaus wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:

I noticed today McNeil taking shots once again at Teinowitz for his name dropping that he would do with annoying regularity on the old MJH show. Don't get me wrong, I think Harry is nothing but a shill but what do you think your doing McNeil and I am not talking about the PAID ads you read? This is why I don't like McNeil anymore...he is a very insincere guy and is becoming a North.

You sound like a gay...

Congrats on the 100!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:22 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I have "connections" too. But how many times have I brought up the folks I have rubbed elbows with??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:27 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
koach klaus wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:

You sound like a gay...

Congrats on the 100!

One of my favorite drops from B&B! Thanks Krazy!

We've all talked out of both sides of our mouth, but McNeil has turned it into an art form.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:27 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
Fixed Glee wrote:
Hell, even during the fifteen minutes of transition with Dan and Terry he's more likeable and listenable than any other time during the previous four hours.

Tho I think it goes too far and he becomes like my friend who is all "drink, party, rock and roll" when his wife's not around and then as soon as she shows up he flips and becomes all "yes, dear" and muted and colorless.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:48 pm 

SHARK wrote:
I have no problem with Mac constantly referencing "Slapshot", "Caddyshack", The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and other non-sports topics on his show...I also don't have a problem with Spiegs occasionally talking about his band either...It's all Chicago sports talk plus guy talk between 9a-1p weekdays, remember...Besides, LoHo constantly mentions the "Family Guy" skit about Wisconsin and "chunky" Carrie, actress Leah Remini, from the 2004-05 season of "King of Queens"...

So the standard we hold Mac to is that he's no worse than LoHo? Aim high, my friends.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:52 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
This show is nowhere near as good as MJH was. But I listened to CJH during a shitty horse racing segment on B&B and they're doing this skit about what bottles you up (or pissed you orr of grinds your gears or chaps your ass or cheeses you off or whatever) and it was agonizing. In one minute that I listened, harry talked over everyone, Jurko managed a fart joke, and Carm, well Carm ol' Carm he ain't what he used to be, ain't what he used to be, ain't what he used to be. I handled it for like a minute. Then I couldn't handle it.
Anyway what the hell was I talking about?
Oh yeah. Mac's show is different from the old MJH days. Shit the old days the MJH critics would say he was no HFC.
I starting to like the show. What I hate about sports talk radio is when it's all gimmicky. Like M&M. That shit sucks. And the "Saloon" (fuckin stolen name) sounds like one gimmick after another.
I don't mind the guy talk, I could do without the subtle look at me's and the parody songs. Parody songs pretty much blow. Not just Macs but like all of them. Last good one was Amish Paradise.
But shit man, let's talk SPORTS, some music, movies, grilling, but damn Mackey tell us about how you rescued a $10 steak from jewels. That's what I'd like to hear how ya did it rather than all that AB stuff. Shit man, I can't afford that kind of food. And it's not for lack of being awesome. I am awesome. Still can't buy that damn steak.
I'm not sure what I was talking about either, for what it's worth.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I agree with some of the points made here about the show. However I've never really thought of what Mac does as bragging. He shares or talks about a lot of his struggles and difficulties too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:00 pm 

bigfan wrote:
I always love this discussion. Mac is no doubt doing more of the man show, than any sports show on the station.

for those dislike his show, what do you dislike that he talks about?

1. Sports? Despite thoughts, it is most discussed
2. Food? I would actually like more REAL food talk, so you can tell me it is discussed too much
3. Music? Plenty of music talk
4. Movies? Plenty of movie quotes
5. Guys? Basic "I Love You Man" type of talk

Mayeb it isn't the music, food, movies or guy talk you want, but we all know it's not being discussed anywhere else.

mac promotes this site and now the moderator asks what bothers you most.........hhhmmmmmmmmm :?:

Last edited by FIRST TIME CALLER on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Mac is very Dahlish.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Harry Seaward wrote:
and simply laugh about what a tool I am

I laugh at anybody who claims that they hate something so much, never listen, but then are still able to manage to take the time and write 10+ paragraphs on why they hate the show.

I, on the other hand, listen because I hate the shows. Twisted, I know. But that's why I don't listen to Waddle and Silvy or Mully and Hanley. I just don't hate them enough.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Wasn't there another show on the Score mostly about the host?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
For me, it's as simple as:

I can't stand the sound of either one of their voices so I don't give a flying fuck
what either of them have to say about anything and I barely tolerate daily crosstalk

Many of you would say the same thing about B&B. That's what is great about opinions.
Everybody is entitled to one.
Just an opinion.
:P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

Say what you will about the show as some will like and some will dislike but Danny brings in listeners where ever he goes and the ratings reflect that. I think the folks here who have met him will tell you he is as down to earth of a guy as you'll ever meet.

Dan's not a guy who walks around with an ego but he might "Big Time " ya at a Hawks game when their dropping the puck. :wink:

Again, he brought me back to the Score and I now enjoy the hell out of B&B and by the posts here it's pretty much all of us back to the Score. I have not seen a ESPN vs Score post and who likes what station better.

Speaks volumes in my book.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Dude you hate the show and gives us that diatribe? Wow if you wrote about something you liked we might get War and Peace.... PTFB and move on

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
FIRST TIME CALLER wrote:
bigfan wrote:
I always love this discussion. Mac is no doubt doing more of the man show, than any sports show on the station.

for those dislike his show, what do you dislike that he talks about?

1. Sports? Despite thoughts, it is most discussed
2. Food? I would actually like more REAL food talk, so you can tell me it is discussed too much
3. Music? Plenty of music talk
4. Movies? Plenty of movie quotes
5. Guys? Basic "I Love You Man" type of talk

Mayeb it isn't the music, food, movies or guy talk you want, but we all know it's not being discussed anywhere else.

mac promotes this site and now the moderator asks what bothers you most.........hhhmmmmmmmmm :?:

OK FTC? Whats the big conspiracy? Am I providing Mac a free focus group by asking what bothers you? Ooooohhh! You caught us! The gig is up! or is it the jig?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Mac is a guy with a Napoleon complex. He's insecure & feels compelled to tell the world about his possessions & success. That's fine. I actually enjoy the non sports talk. The problem with Macs show is that he has a co-host who acts like Mac is his Father. Spiegel doesn't bring out the best in Mac like Boers did, & like Jurko & even Harry did. Pair Mac with either Goff or Hood & you've got radio gold.
Mac & Berns would be unbearable.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:50 am 

Spaulding wrote:
. However I've never really thought of what Mac does as bragging.

A lot of it is legitimate to the conversation and just stories listeners might find interesting. I mean with all the name dropping stuff, some people probably like to hear that. Behind the scenes with the 85 Bears O line or Ron Kittle.

But he does occassionaly drop indefensible ones like when Spiegeal asks him if he's gonna make any bets at Hawthorne and Mac responds:

Actually in a few weeks Ill be going to the Kentucky Derby for the 4th time in 6 years.

I dont even mind that. I think its funny.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:29 am 

There are whole television stations based on gaining viewers wishing to see or hear about cool things that they will never have.

I like what Mac does and obviously others do as well. While I never tell people to PTFB, this is who he is and what he does. Complaining about it is like going into a bakery and complaining that they don't serve steak.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:37 am 

EVERY sports talk show spends time talking about things besides sports. If you look at Silvy and Waddle-they have their TV madness, Silvy talking about his dates and Waddle about his girls soccer etc... Boers and Bernstein have their tournament of Bad-which I would nominate for next years tournament of bad, as it's just bad radio and a waste of time. Add Terry's eeeeee and "By Cracky" comments which make up probably a half hour of radio per week of wasted radio time having nothing to do with sports. The Afternoon Saloon has their Movie Madness and now Harrys "Local Hero" segment.....the point is, that every show does it, because just talking sports the entire shift would be tough. I think that Dan gets on SOME peoples nerves, because they are jealous. They hear him talk about going to games they can't afford a ticket to, eating prime Rib-eye's from Allen Brothers, while they are chowing down on a burger. I don't think that because someone is successful and enjoying his life, that he should be ashamed of it. Danny, you have a nice lifestyle because you have earned it. You are the best this city has to offer on the radio. I would rather hear someone talk about their life and sound happy about it, than someone like Boers that is always complaining about his health and seems genuinely unhappy. Should a sports talk show host talk about himself-I think it's inevitable. But certainly when it goes too far, as it did with Mike North (Adopt a pet, Fritzi's night on the town, gambling priest or whatever that guy was called) then it's a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:40 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I just emailed and suggested an "Equestrian Weddings" segment for next week.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:26 am 

Ok, so the answer is that YES, a sports talk show SHOULD be about the host. That's what I was looking for.

I understand that every show is going to be different, and while you have some guys who choose to share very LITTLE of their personal lives with their audience - you will have those that think they make a tighter connection by openly blathering about every aspect of their life.

I guess, for me, I'm just looking to be entertained and informed. I realize that part of the dynamic of a radio show is that it has to elicit SOME sort of response to keep you coming back. I really do. I get pissed at Boers and Bernstein quite a bit, but they're funny and interesting enough for me to come back. Mully and Hanley aren't super exciting, but I certainly can count on them for a solid recap of the prior night's events - with some opinion thrown in. Guys like Goff and even Paruch do a nice job of carrying on a conversation with sports fans, and offer just not enough opinion to get many to call in.

With Dan, I guess a lot of his attraction for listeners is that they almost feel that he IS a part of their lives. That they wait for his recap of his night out last night just as much as they do one of their buddies. That's where the disconnect is for me, and why this show frustrates me when I do tune in. I don't want that. I don't need that. I'm not saying that the die hard ALS for McNeil are friendless cretins in real life, but what I am saying is that they apparently have a need to feel some sort of "real world" connection with him. And he provides that for those who want it - apparently he won't "big time" you at a Hawks game. He'll host a cookout live event and work the crowd. He'll proudly explain the core group of listeners that have become part of his "real life" crew. Super ... just not something I need.

Anyway, always great to see the same board squatters crawl out of their holes to take shots and contribute nothing to a topic. I had a simple question, provided some of my thoughts on this show, and got just about the reaction I thought I would. I'm glad for Dan (and his unmentioned/credited CO-host) that people DO want a show to be about the HOST...he makes a super living and lives an incredible lifestyle that most of us can only dream of (or tune in from 9-1, every weekday, to hear him explain/breakdown/complain about)!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Allegro con Pizza
newper wrote:
Mac is very Dullish.

Fixed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Harry Seaward wrote:
Ok, so the answer is that YES, a sports talk show SHOULD be about the host. That's what I was looking for.

I understand that every show is going to be different, and while you have some guys who choose to share very LITTLE of their personal lives with their audience - you will have those that think they make a tighter connection by openly blathering about every aspect of their life.

Different hosts have different dynamics and elicit different responses around here. North for example is disliked by a broad segment here. For me, a very entertaining host was Murph, who didn't feed you acumen nor talked about his family, and yet to me was a fun listen.

Anyway, is Mac going down the same path as North? Mac is at times very calculating as to what the audience wants, but yet also yells out PTFB to distractors. He's aware he HAS listeners, and endevors to get feedback from them. I can't say at this stage that North does (feel free to correct me.) Like Coppock, he has his gig, and what you see is what he does.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:50 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I cracked up a couple of times when they were playing all of those car horns. I think it would be hiliarous if he went with the "large delivery truck" buzzer :lol:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I cracked up a couple of times when they were playing all of those car horns. I think it would be hiliarous if he went with the "large delivery truck" buzzer :lol:

+1