It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sports Etiquette
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:41 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
shakes wrote:
I try and avoid contact as much as possible

I see. Tough guy banning kids from a sip of water can't take a little contact. I don't know how you're gonna make it in this business if you can't take it!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Frank Coztansa wrote:
shakes wrote:
I try and avoid contact as much as possible

I see. Tough guy banning kids from a sip of water can't take a little contact. I don't know how you're gonna make it in this business if you can't take it!

I took plenty of contact prior to having 6 back surgeries. Hence the need for 6 back surgeries. Nowadays I can't even put on my socks in the morning without taking a couple seconds to psych myself up for it. If I get bumped good in a game that usually means I'll have bad sciatica for 2 days following so I tend to try and avoid that as much as possible. Been told many times by my doctor to stop playing, but I love it too much to give it up.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:03 pm 

shakes wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
I usually support your lunacy but the denying water thing is dumb.

RPB, did you ever play sports growing up? There's no reason a kid can't go 45 mintues to an hour on the ice without having a drink of water. When i was growing up we NEVER had water during practices...and that was all the way through high school. After practice everyone would run to the water fountain and get in line.

Keep in mind I'm talking about hockey, not a football practice outside in 100 degree heat in full pads.

Well, its not as bad as football in 100 degree heat.

Are you saying "no water" or "no excessive water breaks"

You dont need a drink every 45 minutes, but if a kid wants water, I think ya let him have it.

Yes I played sports. When I was playing "Drinking water" was a sign of weakness.

Thats kinda silly.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

Pussy. Did you give your kid water at the park yesterday? I bet you did. Tell her to man up.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:07 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Pussy. Did you give your kid water at the park yesterday? I bet you did. Tell her to man up.

Actually I brought a bottle but she didnt want it.

So I guess she's more Old Tame Hockey

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:10 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Sounds like she is Bulldogs material. How soon can we get her on skates? We have a great program for beginners, plenty of girls out there. My peewee team has 2 girls on it, one is a goalie and the other is probably the 2nd toughest person on the team.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:12 pm 

shakes wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Sounds like she is Bulldogs material. How soon can we get her on skates? We have a great program for beginners, plenty of girls out there. My peewee team has 2 girls on it, one is a goalie and the other is probably the 2nd toughest person on the team.

She's more into golf but thanks.

Imagine bringing your kid to little league and SHAKES is the manager.

Wow. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:24 pm 

[quote="rogers park bryan]
She's more into golf but thanks.

Imagine bringing your kid to little league and SHAKES is the manager.

Wow. :lol:[/quote]

I know it's quite unbelievable, but I'm actually really good with kids IRL. Trust me, its shocking to me as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Gentlemen, this thread shall surpass the OG!

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
What about if I can't go a full round of golf without a beer?

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
my one back surgery craps on your six back surgeries... :)

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Benny's on 26th in Berwyn
doug - evergreen park wrote:
my one back surgery craps on your six back surgeries... :)

Well, I'll raise you a hernia operation, sir :eye:

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:30 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
shakes wrote:
For the peewee team I coach the first thing I did was ban water bottles at practice. Every 10 minutes they were running over to the sideboards to get a drink. Next thing you know we've wasted half the practice hanging out at the watering hole. Enough is enough, got rid of teh water bottles and told them no drinking till after practice was done. They moaned a little, but OMG a month has gone by and they've all lived. Last practice a player fell down and came up to me and asked if he could sit on the bench cause his leg hurt. I told him no, go skate it off. And sure enough, 2 minutes later he was fine..

Do children sweat when they play hockey? To ban water until after practice are you fucking insane?
You should be fucking reported for that and you shouldn't be allowed around any children.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Benny's on 26th in Berwyn
Darkside wrote:
You should be fucking reported for that and you shouldn't be allowed around any children, anyway.

fixed.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:01 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Do children sweat when they play hockey? To ban water until after practice are you fucking insane?
You should be fucking reported for that and you shouldn't be allowed around any children.

OMG a child had to sweat for an entire hour before getting a drink!!!!!! Call the paramedics! Call the police! Call Obama!

That's the type of pussyfication I'm talking about. If your fat ass played any sports in your life you would know that what you said makes you sound like a little whining weak ass bitch.

I remember going to hockey camps over the summer as a kid and we'd have 3 hour on ice sessions with at most one water break halfway through. Do you want those coaches names and numbers so you can report them as well for being "fucking insane"?

Forcing yourself to play through thirst is only going to make you tougher mentally and improve your conditioning. Unless you think its a crime to have children deal with adversity as well?

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
shakes wrote:
Darkside wrote:

OMG a child had to sweat for an entire hour before getting a drink!!!!!! Call the paramedics! Call the police! Call Obama!

That's the type of pussyfication I'm talking about. If your fat ass played any sports in your life you would know that what you said makes you sound like a little whining weak ass bitch.

I remember going to hockey camps over the summer as a kid and we'd have 3 hour on ice sessions with at most one water break halfway through. Do you want those coaches names and numbers so you can report them as well for being "fucking insane"?

Forcing yourself to play through thirst is only going to make you tougher mentally and improve your conditioning. Unless you think its a crime to have children deal with adversity as well?

No need to call and report them. They made you the blue chip athlete you are today and we are all thankful for that.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
shakes wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen if ever there was a post in this forum indicating the importance of parents actively participating in the extra curricular activities of there children this is it.

Any coach that believes putting a child's health at risk is the appropriate tool to use to "make you tougher mentally and improve conditioning" is not a very good coach. That is frightening. Please take a good look at what other motivational tactics you can choose that might create a mentally tough child without endangerment. (don't give me the argument about what you used to do. Just because you used to have to do it does not make it right and it does not make today's kids a pussy.) Glad you are involved in the lives of young ones shakes. You aren't per chance involved in coaching swimmers too are you?

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:19 pm 

Do you let them drink water during games? If so, why?

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:52 pm 

beni hanna wrote:
shakes wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen if ever there was a post in this forum indicating the importance of parents actively participating in the extra curricular activities of there children this is it.

Any coach that believes putting a child's health at risk is the appropriate tool to use to "make you tougher mentally and improve conditioning" is not a very good coach. That is frightening. Please take a good look at what other motivational tactics you can choose that might create a mentally tough child without endangerment. (don't give me the argument about what you used to do. Just because you used to have to do it does not make it right and it does not make today's kids a pussy.) Glad you are involved in the lives of young ones shakes. You aren't per chance involved in coaching swimmers too are you?

And anyone who thinks a child not getting a drink of water for 45 minutes to an hour is endangering their lives is an idiot and a great example of the coddling and pussyfication enabling attitude I was talking about.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:54 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
shakes wrote:
And anyone who thinks a child not getting a drink of water for 45 minutes to an hour is endangering their lives is an idiot and a great example of the coddling and pussyfication enabling attitude I was talking about.

What if they were not properly hydrated before practice? What if they were getting over a flu? Did you consider that the children might be thirsty because their bodies needed water at that moment?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:58 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Do you let them drink water during games? If so, why?

Of course, there's plenty of water during the games. Games are much different than practices, they are played at a much higher level of speed and intensity. In games the kids are going 100% for 40-60 second shifts, usually getting about 15-20 shifts a game. There's no coasting in games. Practices, on the other hand, involve a lot of drills and standing around and waiting for your time to go, plus there is instruction. The amount of time spent going 100% in a practice is very minimal compared to a game. Actually, taking into account the adrenaline of a game, even going 100% in practice does not come anywhere near as close to going 100% in games.

I can't believe this needs to be explained to so called sports fans.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:00 pm 

shakes wrote:

believe me, a guy who's had 6 back surgeries

jeez man, lift with your LEGS!

i don't think it's that bad, actually; in football practice when i was a kid, in 100 degree weather (this being georgia), we only had a few water breaks. we were ok.

kids are a lot more resilient than adults think.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:47 pm 

pizza_Place: ALL
Quote:
What about if I can't go a full round of golf without a beer?

NEVER!!!!!!

:drunken: :drunken: :drunken:

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:23 pm 

W_Z wrote:
jeez man, lift with your LEGS!

:lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:49 pm 
100000 CLUB

Its all about the environment. In a no check league, you probably aren't working up that much of a thirst anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
My personal breach of etiquette issue....People that bring their signs (home-made or not) and hold them up while the game is being played. If they wanna hold them up during breaks in play, fine. But they should have the sense not to block peoples view of the game, while the action is taking place.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:08 am 

I think its rude for Black people to go to Cub games.

Im kidding. Steve has been pretty normal lately.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:11 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:

Black people go to Cubs games?

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:12 am 

Douchebag wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Black people go to Cubs games?

Im sure Bagels has been to Wrigley

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:16 am 
100000 CLUB

So have Darkside and good dolphin.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next