It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ask Mac responses
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:35 pm 

A few comments, if I may, before responding to your comments and questions.

* I'm very pleased with where the show is. It's a good product most of the time and there's a good vibe behind the scenes. I like our staff and everybody roots for each other and has each other's back. It's most gratifying helping the Score overtake ESPN. We're en route to our third straight ratings book victory over Silvy and Waddle. I wonder if Justin Craig still thinks "people are afraid of change." The change has come... he's under my thumb. I love knowing they're in free fall and having weekly air check sessions with the PD and that the collars are very tight. Don't wish anything badly on guys I like, but Justin Craig and Jim Pastor made this happen and I'm getting the last laugh.

* The Blackhawks success is the best thing for me (sports wise) in a long, long time. Gonna keep riding this thing. I know pucks aren't for everybody, but I've quit caring about that and will program the show for those who are on board. We have all summer to see both baseball teams win nothing and watch the Bulls get beat by the Knicks in the Lebron James sweepstakes.

* Comments made about me being "an elitist" crack me up. How can I be a hillbilly and an elitist at the same time? I always have enjoyed sharing my good fortune with family, friends and co-workers... and will continue to do so. I also know what it's like to do without and I never try to "flaunt" what I have. At the same time, I'm not going to apologize for having a few nice things. What I possess that I value most is free: meaningful relationships. They just require working at them, but no financial output.

* Criticism of Ron Santo never is personal. I don't find diebetic neuropathy funny. Whatever we say about Santo is 100% regarding his inability to broadcast professionally. If you've heard jokes at his expense because of prosthetics, they weren't from me.

TOM CEREBELLUM commented that Chicago sportstalk is recycled and stale ... and asked what I think makes it fresh.

New partnerships freshen it up. Maybe some of these shows have been together too long. Interesting conversations about things that happen in life, not just sports, keep me engaged when I'm a listener. People who sound happy also are more palatable, even if the topic may be a bit stale. Full disclosure? I don't listen to a lot of it lately for the very reason TC states at the beginning of his comment. Don't find much of it very entertaining.

FYI asks who else I considered as a partner before requesting Matt Spiegel.

Fritzy. Coppock. Mark Suppelsa. Seriously, I was talking to Mitch Rosen about Spiegs the first Monday after they fired me on a Friday night. There also was discussion with The Content Factory about a show with me, Jurko and Spiegel.... but Jurko re-signed at ESPN. There were partners suggested TO me, but not by me, by a few programmers. I politely said I wasn't intrigued by those names.

WOODRIDGE RYAN asked about ratings during transition. WR also noted he cracks up when Bernsie's baseball math makes me disappear.

Haven't looked in a long time, but the ratings are good, according to Mitch. He really lkes the segent and says the PPMs show there are others who feel the same way. There are a handful of things that make me "flag" in transition. If I'm not engaged in a subject, I'm more than content to lay out. That's one of the redeeming qualities about a crowded booth: usually, you can engage one of the other three. Bernsie and I like talking a little grillin' or fishin' now again. Nice to have an interested ear on that. Conversely, there are things the others like battin' their gums about so I'm content to lay out on some of that... especially baseball math.

DOUG IN EVERGREEN PARK wants to bring a fancy mustard to the 6/28 tailgate at the Cell.

Remember when somebody first told you that Santa Claus wasn't real? I have to be that guy right now. The mustard thing is a bit. And a tired one at that, but I can't keep others from bringing It up. I am not an avid consumer of mustard. I mixed a three-flavor mustard "bath" for brats a few years ago and this sort of "King of Mustard" stuff ensued. I enjoy horseradish mustard on a brat, but I'm guessing I eat three or four brats a year. Sorry if I ruined your day, but the mustard fondness really is an embellishment of co-workers, past and present. I've contributed to this embellished bit.... but it's kinda run its course with me so I retired my mustard crown last Friday.

OOgie was curious about Tiny's long run at 'MVP.... "fatha" having an influence, etc. I read many of the posts about Harry's "mishap" at the Cell and ESPN's response to it.

Harry not getting suspended surprised me, although it wouldn't surprise me if some action has or will be taken and not made public. Jim Pastor no longer is the GM so that bodes well for talent there regarding suspensions. Napoleon Pastor always was quick to flex his little muscles. And corporate always was notified immediately because Pastor was a cover-his-own-ass kind of guy. I got a kick out of the news on Tiny's embarrassing night and marvel how it's taken Otis this long to be discovered. At least two of the four program directors I had there called us in to discuss his drinking at remotes. Not unearthing anything new here: Harry get shit-faced a lot. Regularly. And he's gotten away with it at ESPN for a long time. Maybe this incident and the fact that they're not winning in afternoons will mean he's finished there. I think his deal is up this fall. As for "fatha," he has no influence at ESPN. I'm eager to see Harry make a run at ratings success on his next show when the coattails of others aren't there for him to ride on. Think he and Spike have one more run in them? This is shaping up to be a fun summer for me and it's not even June!

CHGOSPORTSFREAK wanted to know about "fueds" with Mully and Hanley and BBQ man.....

There's no feud with M&H. They weren't real warm to us last summer, but that's changed. Last week's exchanges about Beckham line of questioning from us and my thoughts on M&H weren't "feudish".... just some good natured ball bustin. I haven't changed my opinion of them from the post somebody dug up two or so years ago. They do a nice job with local sports in morning drive. Best rated morning show in Score history and I'm thrilled the Bristol Vanilla's (M&M) are taking it in the ass because I always thought their show sucked, but I didn't want to be the one getting out of bed at 3 a.m. to take it down. As for BBQ man... whatever. Waste of time considering him and whatever issues he's had with me. The eagle doesn't hunt the fly.

DROP IN is curious about Jim O'Donnell.

He is incessantly jealous of Boers. They once (20 years ago) discussed a radio partnership. It didn't happen and I suspect OD envies Terry for leaving print and making it on radio. OD used to hate me too (called me "white trash" in a column 10 years or so ago) but it seems all his rage now goes to B&B. Is it dumb? Probably.... but in this mundane world of milquetoaste.... I enjoy a good meaningless scrum.

DARKSIDE seeks a venison marinade.

You can't go wrong with worcestershire, minced garlic and salt and pepper. The worcey really makes it, I think. Haven't had venison in ages and now you've got me craving it. Think I'll call Buzzbait Brian and get some backstraps for the grill next weekend.

BEEF ROCKMORE awaits the return of "Call Me" and some others asked about new bits.

I don't plan to ever have voicemail again. I'm accessible during the show... and after the show on the boards and on Facebook. And at remotes. Most of the calls are from the same haters who remind me I have a child with a disability and just want to hate. Don't need it in my life any more. As for bits, we've been discussing "I Need A Ruling" .. which is non-sports... dealing with everyday stuff that happens. Like assholes who don't pull to the front pump when they can. I think most bits are bad. How's "Would You Rather" doing for S&W? I'm all for "benchmarking" times for topics or guests.... but the canned, contrived, predicatable segments.... keep 'em.

EDDIE asked about "a bumpy ride" and my enjoyment of them, noting that I've said ESPN frowned on it.

It didn't have anything to do with Engblom, eddie... must have just commented on the "high wire tension" I love adjacent to the interview we did with him. What I meant was I don't back off making a little squirmy radio, whether it's playfully ball busting another show or really going after somebody. ESPN hated that. In retrospect, I wish I'd have hammered Harry more for his embarrassing night at the Cell. Next time I will. His colleagues and friends have been carrying his fat ass around for decades and he's always gotten away with it. If it would have been me thrown out of that clubhouse, it would have been at least four weeks of suspension. That's all I resent ESPN for, really... the suspensions. They paid me very well and did me a favor when they fired me because I was bored and the show had lost its legs.... but when I think of those fucking suspensions and the aggravation it caused.... it still gets my blood up.

PEORIA MATT wonders about how long B&B will be together.

Boy, no clue. The station just did a big blowout celebration of their 10 years this winter so it appears this show will continue. I'm guessing Terry doesn't want to do more than one more contract (I think his deal is up in the fall) but I haven't had any conversations with him or anybody else at the station about their show. Thanks for all the contributions, Matt.

Post subject: Re: Ask Mac responses
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:39 pm 

Wow, good stuff as usual Mac, thanks!

And I will check back in 24 hours to read the next 11 pages of this thread! :D

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
I guess Joe Cowley's head will burn for eternity, huh?

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:49 pm 

Mac wrote:
EDDIE asked about "a bumpy ride" and my enjoyment of them, noting that I've said ESPN frowned on it.

What I meant was I don't back off making a little squirmy radio, whether it's playfully ball busting another show or really going after somebody. ESPN hated that. In retrospect, I wish I'd have hammered Harry more for his embarrassing night at the Cell. Next time I will. His colleagues and friends have been carrying his fat ass around for decades and he's always gotten away with it. If it would have been me thrown out of that clubhouse, it would have been at least four weeks of suspension.

:shock: :shock: WOW. Mac bringing it!!!!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:51 pm 

Sorry, Mr. Reason.... I had you in the notes, too. I don't recall ever saying that about Cowley. I never really had much of an opinion on the guy, until I started working at the Score. Can you remember the context it was used? What prompted the thought? I'm not doubting you... I just don't remember anything like that. Sure sounds like something I'd say, but Cowley? Hmm. Refresh me if you can.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Mr. Reason wrote:
I guess Joe Cowley's head will burn for eternity, huh?

Yes! When I saw no reponse to that query I knew this was coming. Well done :lol:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

Mac wrote:
Sorry, Mr. Reason.... I had you in the notes, too. I don't recall ever saying that about Cowley. I never really had much of an opinion on the guy, until I started working at the Score. Can you remember the context it was used? What prompted the thought? I'm not doubting you... I just don't remember anything like that. Sure sounds like something I'd say, but Cowley? Hmm. Refresh me if you can.

Yes, it was your last summer at ESPN. I believe Cowley just started working for WSCR. I think you guys had tape of a presser, a little radio lingo, and he asked a softball-suckup question and you came out with the gem; "I wouldn't piss on Joe Cowley's head if it were on fire". Keep in mind, I wouldn't either.
I just thought there was some history between you two and was curious. I guess not.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:58 pm 

lol. Yeah, that sounds like me. Playin' dirty vs. anybody who's not on my squad, I guess. SHouldn't have wasted in on somebody who really doesn't merit that line. Val Kilmer's character in "The Salton Sea" says that and it stuck with me.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:05 pm 

Mac, are you working on an 'angle' for your Beckham interview tomorrow? Maybe you and Spiegs can give him some suggestions for a new at bat song?

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Good work, Mac. I always enjoy these. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

Just my opinion, B&B should have been done two years ago.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:11 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:
Mac, are you working on an 'angle' for your Beckham interview tomorrow? Maybe you and Spiegs can give him some suggestions for a new at bat song?

Ask him to break down the Hawks.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

Mac, one more thing, Zeppelin III is not a bad album. It's a damn good album, very underappreciated.

Measuring a summer's day...

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:03 pm 

I like LZ III..... "That's The Way" is one of the best breakup songs ever written. And "The Immigrant Song" is vintage Zep. Just don't think it's on the same par with I, II, IV, HOTH or PG. Good, soulful Page acoustic work on III.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

Mac wrote:
I like LZ III..... "That's The Way" is one of the best breakup songs ever written. And "The Immigrant Song" is vintage Zep. Just don't think it's on the same par with I, II, IV, HOTH or PG. Good, soulful Page acoustic work on III.

Well, I wouldn't piss on your head if it were on fire.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:13 pm 

What?

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

Mac wrote:
What?

Synergy...

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
All this POST GAME , impressive

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
The Becham interview could be intresting tommorow, because if talk to him fishing and where he came from instead of what's going on in the field, then I would have to think what's the point of the interview. I know Spiegel says he's tired of asking him the same thing, but it's an interview you would want to listen too.

I would say the team should do for Beckham, what it sounded like the team did for Robin Ventura, if I remember right strip club, could be wrong though.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:27 pm 

Good stuff Mac, thanks for taking the time to answer. Keep up the good work on the show.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
bigfan wrote:
All this POST GAME , impressive

Mac didn't have to extinguish his umbrella today. :salut:

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:30 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Mac wrote:
DARKSIDE seeks a venison marinade.

You can't go wrong with worcestershire, minced garlic and salt and pepper. The worcey really makes it, I think. Haven't had venison in ages and now you've got me craving it. Think I'll call Buzzbait Brian and get some backstraps for the grill next weekend.

I usually pull two tags and only shoot one as refrigerated real estate here at the DSE are lacking under the best of circumstances. If you want a nice fat doe, I'll shoot you one but you gotta pay for the butchering.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:59 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
This thread won't be interesting until the Gloops, SIDs, Pappy's Crappy, and Magnus Buchans of the world respond.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:08 am 

I was expecting more.

Congrats on a job...done

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:44 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Quote:
I was expecting more.

Congrats on a job...done

more? he's the only guy who gives anything.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:51 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
Quote:
I was expecting more.

Congrats on a job...done

more? he's the only guy who gives anything.

True progress is not being better than others, its being better than one's previous self (or something)

He's had better ASK MAC outings.

He set the bar high.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:06 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Mr. Reason wrote:
Mac wrote:

Well, I wouldn't piss on your head if it were on fire.

Darkside wrote:
If you want a nice fat doe, I'll shoot you one but you gotta pay for the butchering.

Thats cool, Darko. Just remember, he doesn't get out of bed for less than 350K. :wink:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:10 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Thank you very much for the answers Mac. Some of the other shows should try this from time to time. Here's to more bumpy rides in the future. 8)

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:19 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Quote:
As for bits, we've been discussing "I Need A Ruling" .. which is non-sports... dealing with everyday stuff that happens. Like assholes who don't pull to the front pump when they can.

Make sure the tape recorders are running so someone can get this to the Radio Hall of Fame, STAT.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:41 am 

I invite you out for drinks on your home turf and get no response. Shameful.