It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

Very weird radio today...and awkward...and not Caller Ann awkward either

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
Definitely got some hostile vibes from Meatpants, and Bernsie came off as his smary self.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:00 pm 

brilliant power of description gentlemen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Exactly what happened? I heard the first 8 minutes of it, but had to leave. I didn't notice it. I'd go the podcast route, but.....ya know? :(

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Talking about Clutch and Choke and Bernsy who knows everything debated with Spiegel about C & C and we were all subjected to 15 mins of tourture.

Why would Speigs ever debate anything ever with Bernstein? Even if he is wrong on something, Bernstein will somehow find some sort of formula to prove he is right. God that man is a bitch.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Allegro con Pizza
B & B have never been good about hiding their feelings. They think Mac and Piggy are idiots and they just can't hide that. They've been making fun of Chief Mac Hawk's trip to Philly all week. It is funny to think of that rube walking around Philly thinking he's the man. As for Piggy, Bernsie toys with him like a cat with a ball of yarn and there is nothing Piggy can do except say "sooey, sooey".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
I don't blindly defend everything B&B, and pretty much can't stand anything about the Danny Mac Show except the commercial breaks.
Just kidding. I don't listen. :D But I did hear the transition today, and Speigel went out of his way to get Bernstein going on one of his favorite
tangents, only to dismiss Dan out of hand the way Dan often does to callers. He was trying to out-Bernstein Dan Bernstein.
And failed.
The whole "you've never been on a team, you've never been in a band" thing is so fucking weak, and Spiegel thought it was hilarious for Dan
to be be so willfully ignorant of a fact, or so he said in regard to the clutch/choke issue.
Today just proved to me why I can't listen to those 2 people talk for more than 5 minutes without wanting to bitchslap my radio.
I'll continue to keep it off 670 til 1:20.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:41 pm 

Nate Silver wrote an article that said clutch hitting does exist to a degree. He said there is a connection between clutch hitting ability and situational hitting, or the ability to adjust a hitting approach to fit the given situation.

I'm surprised Lil Danny was so adamant about the nonexistence of clutch hitting when a guy he would gladly lick clean said it does exist.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I'm glad that Speigs is one of the only Score hosts that stands up to Bernstein. I've never heard anyone who is so arrogant about their beliefs and unwilling to accept any other point of view. I suppose loyal B&B fans love that about him. Keep it. Even Terry gets quiet and then just agrees with Bernstein during one of his maniacal rants.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:27 pm 

johnnyfontane wrote:
I'm glad that Speigs is one of the only Score hosts that stands up to Bernstein. I've never heard anyone who is so arrogant about their beliefs and unwilling to accept any other point of view. I suppose loyal B&B fans love that about him. Keep it. Even Terry gets quiet and then just agrees with Bernstein during one of his maniacal rants.

Nice to have you on the board Meatpants, now get up off your brains and get your shine box

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Meatpants is bringing a knife to a gunfight.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Ooooh. Are you guys the Bernstein bullys of the message boards? Nice to know that the assbags identify themselves early and often. And BTW I am not Spiegs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East.
Welcome to the board, Meatpants. It's good to get more of the radio talent contributing here, particularly from the Score.

Would you be willing to do an "Ask Spiegs" Segment? I'd be willing to bet you'll get a lot of questions.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
if you guys listened to the Danny Mac Show you would know that johnnyfontane contributes as frequently as Peoria Matt.

welcome to the board.
read this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:37 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
if you guys listened to the Danny Mac Show you would know that johnnyfontane contributes as frequently as Peoria Matt.

welcome to the board.
read this.

Not too naive are you doug? Anyone could post under the moniker johnnyfontaine so long as it was available. It clearly was. Gee, maybe I'll take the name Gary Coleman and you'll think he rose from the dead.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:38 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Gary Coleman is dead?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

Magnus Buchan wrote:

welcome to the board.
read this.

Not too naive are you doug? Anyone could post under the moniker johnnyfontaine so long as it was available. It clearly was. Gee, maybe I'll take the name Gary Coleman and you'll think he rose from the dead.

Would of been funnier if you used Abe Vagoda.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

Magnus Buchan wrote:

so...you assume it's Spiegel? o.k...seems pretty naive to me.

and good dolphin is Spiegel...didn't you know that? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:49 pm 

Magnus Buchan wrote:

so...you assume it's Spiegel? o.k...seems pretty naive to me.

and good dolphin is Spiegel...didn't you know that? :wink:

Actually I'm Spiegel and I'm self-loathing...only posting after I've gorged myself on chicken, waffles, and ice cream.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
I will wait for Spmack to weigh in before deciding who...is on first.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Gary Coleman is dead?

Heath Ledger carried the cooler...only needed one pall bearer. you know, since Gary was short and didn't weigh very much.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: *
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Gary Coleman is dead?

Heath Ledger carried the cooler...only needed one pall bearer. you know, since Gary was short and didn't weigh very much.

could have just said he is "Doug League"

DUH! :cheese:

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

Magnus Buchan wrote:
Actually I'm Spiegel and I'm self-loathing...only posting after I've gorged myself on chicken, waffles, and ice cream.

well...you could be 90% of the people on this board then... :P

Free Ajent wrote:
could have just said he is "Doug League"

DUH! :cheese:

it's way better when you guys type it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:03 pm 

Gary C's "wife " pulled the plug on his ventilator and it now turns out they were divorced in 2008. She also told the EMTs where they could find him in the house but didn't want to go with them because it was all "gross and bloody". She said today she pulled the plug because she didn't want him to be like Muhammad Ali. Cold.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
johnnyfontane wrote:
Ooooh. Are you guys the Bernstein bullys of the message boards? Nice to know that the assbags identify themselves early and often. And BTW I am not Spiegs.

CONFIRMED Johnny Fontane and Not RPB's 4213th mult.

This is why we need Mult control!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

it's fun being right. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:27 pm 

Magnus wrote: Actually I'm Spiegel and I'm self-loathing...only posting after I've gorged myself on chicken, waffles, and ice cream.

That's one of the funniest things I've seen here in awhile. Thanks for paying attention, MB. I'm starting to like you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

Seriously Mac, this is how they behave when u are gone. U were THERE...TRYING to get a word in to stop that horrible train wreck of a transition. I heard you! Even Terry tried WITH you at a couple points to break it up, ONLY to get overtalked by Dan. Oh well...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:44 pm 

Interesting article by Dave Cameron at Fangraphs about clutch hitting (which supposedly doesn't exist).

The Angels Are Still Clutch
by Dave Cameron-June 16, 2010

The Angels are 36-32, in second place in the AL West, and two games behind first place Texas. They are in that position despite having a below average offense (-10 wRAA), a below average defense (-19.3 UZR), and a below average pitching staff (4.33 FIP). How are they winning games? The Angel way – clutchness.

If it seems like we write about this every year, well, we do. I mentioned the Angels penchant for clutch hitting two years ago, showing that they were consistently among the league leaders in our metric that shows the gap in wins added that comes from hitting well in high leverage situations. Matt Klaassen wrote about it earlier this spring.

And here we are today, talking about it again, because once again the Angels are clutching their way to victories. They have +1.34 clutch wins from their hitting and +2.48 clutch wins from their pitchers, totaling just under four wins added by coming through when it counts. Not surprisingly, they lead the league in clutch wins added.

It isn’t surprising because they do this every single year. Last year, they added seven wins to their total through clutch performance. In 2008, they had fifteen clutch wins. As noted in the first linked post above, this is basically an annual trend. The Angels are consistently among the league leaders in clutch wins, and have been for the better part of the last decade.

There are all kinds of explanations for why they are able do to this year in and year out. Generally, Mike Scioscia gets the credit for getting the most out of his team. The Angels minor league development staff is lauded as teaching their players how to play the game the right way. But the explanations are never very specific, nor are the players who put up the crazy clutch seasons consistent.

In 2008, the monster clutch Angels were Maicer Izturis (+1.46), Mark Teixeira (+1.21), and Howie Kendrick (+1.15) on offense, and Jason Bulger (+1.20), John Lackey (+1.11), and Joe Saunders (+1.03) on the mound. Last year, it was Gary Matthews Jr (+2.11, seriously) , Jeff Mathis (+1.05), and Chone Figgins (+0.95) carrying the clutch load. This year, it’s Kendry Morales (+0.91), Hideki Matsui (+0.77), and Bobby Abreu (+0.57) doing it with the bats, while Ervin Santana (+0.96), Jason Bulger (+0.55), and Fernando Rodney (+0.45) have done it on the mound.

Seriously, what do those guys have in common, besides being Angels at the time? Teixeira was a rental player who came up through the Rangers organization. It’s hard to argue that the Angels had much influence on the development of Matthews, Matsui, Abreu, or Rodney. If it’s good coaching, why did Santana have a negative clutch rating before this season, when he’s a home grown kid who has been on the roster for five years?

I’m not asking these questions to insinuate that the Angels have nothing to do with these performances – I’m genuinely curious what they could possibly be doing to extract such performances from wildly different players, but do so almost every single year? At this point, the odds of it just being luck are pretty slim, so it seems reasonable to suspect that the Angels are doing something right. But none of the theories advanced so far seem to have any kind of evidence to support them, and there does not seem to be any discernable trail we can follow that will lead us to the answer.

Until someone figures out just what the Angels are doing, all we can really do is sit and stare in amazement. Right now, there’s no explanation. The Angels are a phenomenon.