It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Why?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:18 am 

pizza_Place: Allegro con Pizza
Gloop, you are spot on. But then that view is the intelligent view and is unlikely to be followed by a self-absorbed meatball from Northwest Indiana, after all they often eat where they crap.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:19 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Even that 200-400K (that apparently is proven, because you guys must be bankers or something :roll: ) is a hellava lot more than any of you make.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:42 am 

pizza_Place: Allegro con Pizza
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Even that 200-400K (that apparently is proven, because you guys must be bankers or something :roll: ) is a hellava lot more than any of you make.

Are you kidding? I wouldn't roll out of bed for that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Mac is pissing away millions over the rest of his career by being such a dick.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:13 am 

So you guys are trying to say that Mac is hurting himself by talking bad about the guy who fired him? Do you really think that he was going to hire Mac back even if he sent him love letters every day on the radio? That's illogical. You can't burn a bridge that's already been burned down.

I don't know who was the program director when Mac left the Score, but it certainly didn't make any bit of difference in getting him back. By the time Mac would really ever need to switch stations, ESPN 1000 will be run by completely different people, especially if they continue to see a gap in the ratings.

This doesn't even bring into account the rumored third sports talk station and other stations that would be able to fill the programming as "man talk" which is pretty much what some other shows are.

And for all of you guys talking about Mike North, isn't he working right now, and if he gets let go from that is there anyone willing to say that he won't be on the roster the very first day that the third sports talker in Chicago goes on the air? He won't have control but North is going to be working for a long time in spite of how many dumb decisions he's made recently.

There are very few people on sports radio who are good enough at it that they can command an audience simply because of who they are. The Score may only have 2 of them right now. ESPN 1000 has no one locally and maybe two nationally.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Gee, they never change managers in radio, huh?

Or, say a new sports station pops up. Think they want to hire a career malcontent? His ratings and his placement on middays do not give him Howard Stern like leverage to act like a giant douche

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:32 am 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Or, say a new sports station pops up. Think they want to hire a career malcontent? His ratings and his placement on middays do not give him Howard Stern like leverage to act like a giant douche
In case you haven't noticed, the placement of the two stations in the ratings started to change when Mac was no longer on one station and then when he built a show on the other. It's not a coincidence. Remember also that Silvy and Waddle looked to be the next dominant show and many people on here celebrated the fact that W&S were beating Mac. I believe he said the show just needed "flight miles" and people laughed. It ended up looking like that was correct.

If you are building a sports station from the ground up, McNeil is probably choice #1 because MJH was a ratings powerhouse and even with his "midday" show he's shown that he has a big impact.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:34 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
eddie wrote:
Seacrest, your comments about ESPN not needing ratings might be true if this was Beloit or Des Moines. In this market even if your nationally syndicated you still need ratings. If Mike and Mike's ratings continue to tank ESPN will look for local programming to try and pick up the slack. Remember ESPN used to have 2 full national shows and low ratings drove them to go local here. Ratings drive your total revenue and while I won't pretend to know what the Score charges per ad; it's easier to sell ad time when you can pull out a ratings book and say "I can bring you X more men to your product than anyone else in town". Ratings help you make money and bigger ratings mean more money. (I know you and everyone else knows this I'm just trying to be complete with the thought.) As far as Mac carrying sponsors from ESPN to the Score I haven't heard AB steaks.com mentioned in forever. I can't think of any of the other old sponsors at the moment so I might be wrong.

eddie,

I understand how ratings work. Nationally and locally. And if someone can bring in money without ratings, like Chet did for years, PD's might care, but GM's like the bottom line.

ESPN is pulling better numbers here among men than they were two years ago. Tanking is hardly a fair or true presentation of ESPN's ratings. Furthermore, I would bet that the Saloon is more profitable with Mac gone then it was when he was there. Especially when you claim that he was banking the kind of coin that you say he was.

Dumping Murph and Hampton may have made up for the coin they are paying Mac. I wouldn't bet on that though. Unless Mac is making the coin that Magnus says he is. Then the numbers make sense.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:30 am 
1000 CLUB

[

Quote:
ESPN is pulling better numbers here among men than they were two years ago. Tanking is hardly a fair or true presentation of ESPN's ratings. Furthermore, I would bet that the Saloon is more profitable with Mac gone then it was when he was there.

Crest what the hell are you talking about ?? Every show on ESPN is getting beat by the Score and their numbers are down in every demo. The Saloon is down over half it's numbers since Mac left and bearly has a heart beat not only here on this board but with the listeners across the board since Mac left.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Ban me
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
So you guys are trying to say that Mac is hurting himself by talking bad about the guy who fired him? Do you really think that he was going to hire Mac back even if he sent him love letters every day on the radio? That's illogical. You can't burn a bridge that's already been burned down.

I don't know who was the program director when Mac left the Score, but it certainly didn't make any bit of difference in getting him back. By the time Mac would really ever need to switch stations, ESPN 1000 will be run by completely different people, especially if they continue to see a gap in the ratings.

This doesn't even bring into account the rumored third sports talk station and other stations that would be able to fill the programming as "man talk" which is pretty much what some other shows are.

And for all of you guys talking about Mike North, isn't he working right now, and if he gets let go from that is there anyone willing to say that he won't be on the roster the very first day that the third sports talker in Chicago goes on the air? He won't have control but North is going to be working for a long time in spite of how many dumb decisions he's made recently.

There are very few people on sports radio who are good enough at it that they can command an audience simply because of who they are. The Score may only have 2 of them right now. ESPN 1000 has no one locally and maybe two nationally.

No my observation is Mac sounds like an NFL player on the wrong side of 30. You know the type that tells everyone that will listen how great and their team is and how much they love management until they get traded or released for salary cap reasons? That's when their new team becomes the greatest team ever and the old team becomes awful. In Mac's case the Score was just the worst station ever not too long ago because they let him go. He trashed them pretty much everyday. Now he spends his time praying on ESPN's downfall like he used to do with the Score about 16 months ago. Just like with the Score he may need to cross that bridge again one day or use them to drive up the price around contract time. Therefore it would probably be better for him to STFU and let his ratings talk for him.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

STU-GOTZ wrote:
[

Quote:
ESPN is pulling better numbers here among men than they were two years ago. Tanking is hardly a fair or true presentation of ESPN's ratings. Furthermore, I would bet that the Saloon is more profitable with Mac gone then it was when he was there.

Crest what the hell are you talking about ?? Every show on ESPN is getting beat by the Score and their numbers are down in every demo. The Saloon is down over half it's numbers since Mac left and bearly has a heart beat not only here on this board but with the listeners across the board since Mac left.

The way in which ratings were charted before has changed in the past two years. And the biggest winners are the Score and ESPN.

In the past, ratings were charted by means of a written diary system. Do you know many men that use diaries? Now they are measured electronically and are far more accurate.

The last book saw some real drops for M&M to M&H. But overall, more men are rated as listeners to both outlets then was the case two years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Seacrest wrote:
Dumping Murph and Hampton may have made up for the coin they are paying Mac.

They're still paying Hampton and they were still paying Murph till a few weeks ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:02 pm 

Dumping them likely helped all shows except M&H

Awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

I guess the sinking ship known as ESPN Zone wasn't all that important to the ESPN brand, despite the fact they sold their merchandise. lol...

ESPN Zone in Times Square, site of weekly 'The Sports Reporters' show, to close in week
The ESPN Zone in Times Square is fading to black. The midtown tourist trap with its endless walls of televisions is closing doors in one week, the all-sports network announced Wednesday. The restaurant in the heart of Times Square opened in 1998, the first of the network's dining operations. ESPN is also closing eateries in Baltimore, Chicago, Las Vegas and Washington, D.C.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2010/0 ... z0qO7t5fJ2

The name's Rockmore. Beef Rockmore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
POT ROAST!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
What Mac makes is one of the dumbest recurring topics on this board. Fucking dumb.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

Spaulding wrote:
What Mac makes is one of the dumbest recurring topics on this board. Fucking dumb.

The only relevance is that Mac used to kind of brag about how much he made and then said that he wouldn't even get out of bed for 350K.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

Spaulding wrote:

I guess there will be nothing to discuss next time DS and I are at Taylor St.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:26 pm 

Score is doomed wrote:
The only relevance is that Mac used to kind of brag about how much he made and then said that he wouldn't even get out of bed for 350K.

No he really didn't and he was joking about the 350K thing. You can tell he likes to get you guys, especially the ones that don't like him much, riled up. I get the feeling he is not the jerk some of you want him to be.

Seacrest wrote:

Jelly beans are neither jelly nor beans discuss. Hey, you could always talk about me!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:29 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

There is always hunting and footsies. :wink:

Awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

Spaulding wrote:
Score is doomed wrote:

No he really didn't and he was joking about the 350K thing. You can tell he likes to get you guys, especially the ones that don't like him much, riled up. I get the feeling he is not the jerk some of you want him to be.

Seacrest wrote:

Jelly beans are neither jelly nor beans discuss. Hey, you could always talk about me!

Hey, I'm going up to Wisconsin tomorrow and I'll stop by the Jelly Bean factory and ask them.
BTW, When Mac was negiotiang his last, failed, contract at 1000, he has on air bragging about getting the show $2 mil or he wasn't signing, guess that didn't workout any better for Mac than North.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:19 pm 

Come on, you are smarter than that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

About what? I was kidding about the jelly beans. BTW, you should take your kids to the Jelly Belly plant in Pleasant Prairie WI, near Kenosha.

http://www.jellybelly.com/visit_jelly_b ... ctory.aspx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:08 pm 

About the 2m & signing.

you should take my kids to the Jelly Belly plant in Pleasant Prairie WI, near Kenosha. :wink: We've been talking about doing this. It's just one of those things we never get to.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

Need a day off from the kids? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:18 am 

Spaulding wrote:
About the 2m & signing.

you should take my kids to the Jelly Belly plant in Pleasant Prairie WI, near Kenosha. :wink: We've been talking about doing this. It's just one of those things we never get to.

Unless you were planning a trip to the outlet mall as well, it's really not a big deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:21 am 

Shopping Image

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Spaulding wrote:
About the 2m & signing.

It's really not worth going out of your way for. It's just a distribution facility - no manufacturing. You ride in a cart around the warehouse and stop periodically to watch videos of the actual manufacturing operations (which are in California and North Chicago)...pretty disappointing. You do get some free samples though, so if you happen to be in the area with time to kill...