It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
RFDC wrote:
chris is good at enemas

yeah enema seconded...figures that an Illinois boy who gets a Wisco education sums it up for all of us.

...so, can anyone front me like $40k, so I can go to graduate school at UWM?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
doug - evergreen park wrote:
RFDC wrote:
chris is good at enemas

yeah enema seconded...figures that an Illinois boy who gets a Wisco education sums it up for all of us.

...so, can anyone front me like $40k, so I can go to graduate school at UWM?

Trust me, you don't want to go to school in Milwaukee. Dangerous place.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

damnit...I had UM first, then edited it. cuz I thought it was wrong...

the place in Madison...just north of State Street. by the lake...and the bars. and 20 year olds.
that place...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:44 pm 

shirtless driver wrote:
Steppin on mah comedy bitz, chas.

"The answer is obvious.
The guy who is making a living. :P"

Dead Dimebag sold more records last year than wannabe Dimebag. Playing shows at Durty Nellies and Bourbon Street is not making a living.

I think I know who is making a better living.

Last edited by Douchebag on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza

the place in Madison...just north of State Street. by the lake...and the bars. and 20 year olds.
that place...

UW :lol: :D :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

yeah...that thing. whatever. i'm drinking. suck a brat. :P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
Douchebag wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
Steppin on mah comedy bitz, chas.

"The answer is obvious.
The guy who is making a living. :P"

Dead Dimebag sold more records last year than wannabe Dimebag. Playing shows at Durty Nellies and Bourbon Street is not making a living.

I think I know who is making a better living.

The guy that is actually living is making a better living than the guy that is no longer alive.
What is your fucking point in all of this?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
There are tributes and then there are tributes:

http://www.xtrmntr.com/pg/exile/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:34 pm 

pizza_Place: art of pizza
This thread is awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:14 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park

that place...

I spent a few years in Mad town in the early '80's. Great town. There was a great Gyro place on State Street called the Parthenon, & a great bar called The Stone Hearth. I have a few years on you though & it was probably gone then.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:41 am 

pizza_Place: Nicola's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nothing pisses me off more than paying money to see a half ass performance. The old blues guys were guilty of that a lot. I got into it with Junior Wells at Rosa's. He didn't like it when I accused him of cheating me. Go hit on white bitches on your own time. I paid to see your sorry old ass play that harp. How about a little effort. Fuck Buddy Guy's old ass too. Shuckin' and jivin' like Amos and Andy for a bunch of white folks from Palatine. Sheeeit! A real good friend of mine who is one hell of a guitar player had a gig at the old Legends opening up for Buddy. Buddy's soundmen wouldn't let him use the entire PA. That shit was just for Mr. Guy. When we asked them why they wouldn't want the paying customers to get the best sound possible, they had no fuckin' answer. I laugh every time I hear Clapton call that douchebag the best guitarist ever. He was scurred of a white boy from Villa Park sounding better than his geriatric self. Sheeeit! Then there was the time at Biddy Mulligan's when Bo Diddley threatened to kick my ass. He might have been able to do it too. But he was playing like a pussy so he deserved to be called out.

This guy couldn't carry your jock:

P.S. Elmhurst Steve admires you for all the wrong reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:37 am 
Site Admin

Jalapenos and More wrote:
This guy couldn't carry your jock:

P.S. Elmhurst Steve admires you for all the wrong reasons.

Hey, fuck you, you lowlife message board cretin. I'm a real person with real life experiences. Not some borderline troll switching personae like most people change shirts. You're not interested in my posts? Don't fucking read them. As for your snide little post script, go fuck yourself one more time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:18 am 
1000 CLUB

Panther pislA wrote:
I think that questioning others' artistic expression in any manner (it is completely subjective) reveals insecurities/flaws in the questioner.

right...Panther has never made fun of someone who looks like "freak" in his life. :wink:
glass houses in alsip...who knew?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:20 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Hey Douchebag, just curious, not brokeback curious just regular curious...
Do you play at all? I mean a musical instrument. Again not trying to be condescending, just curious about your POV.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:08 am 

Darkside wrote:
Do you play at all? I mean a musical instrument. Again not trying to be condescending, just curious about your POV.

I played drums when I was younger, but when I hit College I pretty much lost all the time or energy to want to play anymore. I never performed in a band, just fucked around with friends in the garage (giggity).

I just really hope this doesn't turn into a "Well you're not in a band, so your opinion doesn't matter" arguments. I've been to plenty of concerts in my life to be able to judge talent and offer an opinion. I just don't see the reason why someone would want to see a cover band. Personally I think it’s the lowest a musician can get on the totem pole and playing songs for people who just want to hear “Pour Some Sugar on Me” for the millionith time is not very appealing. If you are just jamming with friends and having a good time, then great. I actually had a great time when I went to Gallery Caberet for that very reason. But making a living playing someone elses music in shitty bars is really not my thing. And that’s where the tribute acts and professional cover bands really lose me.

I don’t think any aspiring rock musician grows up saying “When I get older, I’m going to play in a cover band some day”. Obviously they failed at writing their own material so they moved on to performing songs that are already successful. That’s where my opinion of talent level comes from. If you can play exactly like Slash you obviously have talent. But if you cannot write a single song that would appeal to any audience, then you are obviously trailing Slash in the talent department. I think there’s been a lot of twisting of other’s words in this thread, and if I am guilty of it myself then I apologize. This thread really turned into an ugly hot mess, when all I originally wanted to do was rip on tribute bands. I’m sorry it came to this.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:15 am 
1000 CLUB

that makes sense to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
A couple great posts in this thread:

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hey, fuck you, you lowlife message board cretin. I'm a real person with real life experiences. Not some borderline troll switching personae like most people change shirts. You're not interested in my posts? Don't fucking read them. As for your snide little post script, go fuck yourself one more time.

Darkside wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:25 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
My thoughts on the cover/original band has gone almost 180.

When I was in an original band back when I was 19 thru 21, I was all about originals. In the 45-60 minute sets we played, we had I think 2 covers, but they were badass ('Big Bang Baby' by STP, and 'Tyler' by the Toadies). Everything else was originals. Now, I still like playing originals and I still write (not a ton of lyrics though), but I'm more about playing for 2-3 hours at a time for money. Frankly, its a lot of time and effort between practicing for gigs, and then travelling, setting up, and breaking down at gigs to get no money at the end of the night. Its a lot of work to learn all those covers and play them well, but its nice getting handed a couple hundred bucks cash at the end of the night, not counting some drinks for free. I still love playing just about anything, but for that much time and effort I would almost rather do mostly covers to make some extra coin.

Of course, I probably feel like that because I suck on guitar :lol:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:35 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Douchebag wrote:
I played drums when I was younger, but when I hit College I pretty much lost all the time or energy to want to play anymore. I never performed in a band, just fucked around with friends in the garage (giggity).

I just really hope this doesn't turn into a "Well you're not in a band, so your opinion doesn't matter" arguments. I've been to plenty of concerts in my life to be able to judge talent and offer an opinion. I just don't see the reason why someone would want to see a cover band. Personally I think it’s the lowest a musician can get on the totem pole and playing songs for people who just want to hear “Pour Some Sugar on Me” for the millionith time is not very appealing. If you are just jamming with friends and having a good time, then great. I actually had a great time when I went to Gallery Caberet for that very reason. But making a living playing someone elses music in shitty bars is really not my thing. And that’s where the tribute acts and professional cover bands really lose me.

I don’t think any aspiring rock musician grows up saying “When I get older, I’m going to play in a cover band some day”. Obviously they failed at writing their own material so they moved on to performing songs that are already successful. That’s where my opinion of talent level comes from. If you can play exactly like Slash you obviously have talent. But if you cannot write a single song that would appeal to any audience, then you are obviously trailing Slash in the talent department. I think there’s been a lot of twisting of other’s words in this thread, and if I am guilty of it myself then I apologize. This thread really turned into an ugly hot mess, when all I originally wanted to do was rip on tribute bands. I’m
sorry it came to this.

No, this is not a "you don't play so your opinion sucks" argument at all. I'm just trying to understand you better so I understand your argument better. Counterintuitively, your opinion as a non band member has more bearing on this case as your mindset is considerably more common than that of those with the "band mindset". In any case, I don't mean to begrudge you your opinion. I do indeed respect it and wish to use your points to have a serious conversation.

It's funny, but you hit on something interesting there. I bolded your comment. You had fun. That's very rewarding for a band. Honestly it's probably number 1 or number 2 on this list of goals for me as a player. Although 10 of 20 tunes were covers, you still had fun with the tunes, atmosphere and drinks and that made me seriously happy! 8)

Our last set we played about half and half originals to covers. I would not like to be considered a "cover band" and quite honestly I'm most proud of the way that we played our originals. Those for me were ridiculously fun, and I certainly enjoyed the crowd reaction we received after "Gretzky", "Taller", and "Slightly Left of Insanity". Hearing a clap or a whistle after your song that you labored under is gleeful, hearing a bar do what they did at the last show was stunning to me. So in a way, I share your view that bands who play originals are a little more entertaining to the performers.
Now for the disagree parts.

I think that it takes serious ball sack to play live, as covers, tributes, or originals. It's not something a lot of people can really do. That is worth something.

I think it's a bit dishonest to say that a cover band "failed" at writing their own material. Sometimes it's a matter of circumstance what you're going to play. Frank and Doug touched on it, if you're not playing covers you're not making any money. That and to earn the right to play straight originals live, you MUST pay your dues. It's like sure there's a Starlin Castro or Steven Strausburgs out there but most bands must toil in the minors before getting a cuppa coffee. We're not low on the totem poll, we're just getting our feet wet and hoping for a break. And we've written what I feel are some VERY good songs. It's just that when you're Beneath 51, no one wants to pay you to play shit they've never heard of. You get your foot in by playing covers that people can say "Shit I know this song and I'll croak it out with the band" and then you can play your material. That, and I've never met a player who covers who does not have any original material somewhere. All players are writers to some degree.

I would also like to comment that covering songs can be quite rewarding and does indeed allow for some creative license and personalization. Never had we chosen a cover and played it note for note the way it was written. We add our our flair, our own personal touches. Doug played a couple covers with us, and you can certainly see in "Sonic Reducer" that he took an idea for a lead, and completely reworked it, which in MY opinion takes considerable talent.
Frank mentioned it earlier but we're not exactly picking out "sugar" or "Sweet caroline" as our covers. We picked some off the wall shit like "Wolf Like Me" or "Cellphones Ringing in the Pockets of the Dead" so that we're not playing out the same old covers that everyone is playing.

In short, I don't believe that the source of the material makes a musician a quality musician or not. I believe it's about heart. There's plenty of musicians at the Chicago Symphony Orchestra that never play original material, resigning themselves to playing Chopin or Wagner "covers" in perpetuity. That's not making them any less brilliant.

again, this is no mess dude, I'm just having a conversation with ya. Hope you catch what I'm a slingin.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
She doesn't love him, she just loves him for his doggy-style.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:05 am 
1000 CLUB

i do it for the sex and drugs...
i'm sure money would be nice, but i've never really seen any...so, i don't really care about it unless it allows us to make t-shirts.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:33 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Whoa, pump the brakes. I meant that as a compliment. The stories were awesome and I enjoy your posts. As for the postscript, I meant that ESteve would admire your remarks not because they were warranted criticisms of particular musicians, but because they were harsh words directed at black men.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:16 pm 
Site Admin

Okay, Jalapenos. I apologize for being so sensitive. After I made that post I thought a better response would have been: No tomo cerveza siempre, pero cuando yo hago, tomo Dos Equis.

Anyway, those guys just happened to be black. I've gotten upset with plenty of white guys who I thought were giving me a half-assed effort after I paid to watch them play. My friend and I are at least partially responsible for Metro's discontinuation of serving beer in glass bottles. Galaxie 500 was giving us a pussy show, so we protested vehemently. You can read Dean and Dave's account of it in this interview right above POST TOUR FUN FACTS:

http://www.damonandnaomi.com/interviews ... rview.html

I don't agree with the way he remembered it. We weren't "messed up". We paid for a rock show and they weren't giving us one. We're not guys to be pissed on and like it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:44 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Anyway, those guys just happened to be black.

Doesn't mean much to you or me, but to Elmhurst Steve, well, you know....

Interesting review. It's been a long time since I've been to the Metro. Might've been for one of those Flaming Lips New Year's Eve shows. A particular show starring Wayne Coyne & Co. would be my half-ass effort band worthy of harsh words. Wayne, you Cat Stevens-plagiarizing OKC stoner, stop blowing bubbles and dancing with furries and play some songs that don't rely heavily upon backing tracks set to nauseating video loops. The guy can't sing a fucking lick. The acoustic guitar strapped over his shoulder is purely for decoration.

But, being at the cavernous Crystal Ballroom in Portland, he was too far away to hear my heckling. I was surrounded by a bunch of hipster twats pretending to enjoy thick pints of Terminator Stout when it was literally 95 degrees in that airless concert hall.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

You're gonna set me off again, Jalapenos! The Flaming Lips are one of my favorites. I'm not surprised you caught a bum show though. I've seen them several times and they've been kind of hit or miss. A few years back at Lollapalooza in the twilight was a transcendent show for me. But maybe I was just on the perfect combo of drugs and alcohol. That stupid plastic ball has become kind of rote and I have no problem with guys mixing pop and politics but you better come with something stronger than "George Bush sucks!" We all know that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:19 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
You're gonna set me off again, Jalapenos! The Flaming Lips are one of my favorites. I'm not surprised you caught a bum show though. I've seen them several times and they've been kind of hit or miss. A few years back at Lollapalooza in the twilight was a transcendent show for me. But maybe I was just on the perfect combo of drugs and alcohol. That stupid plastic ball has become kind of rote and I have no problem with guys mixing pop and politics but you better come with something stronger than "George Bush sucks!" We all know that.

I love the F'Lips, too, and I saw them give a great show at a more traditional concert hall here when they were on tour with Beck. That particular show was a letdown. Maybe I was already pissed off from enduring Beth Ditto opening for them. I liked the onstage wackiness back in '02-'03 but it's run its course. The Lips' drummer (Drozd?) is by far their best musician.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

Panther pislA wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

BTW, who is that guy in your avatar, JORR?

Weird bit of psychology, but the vinegar in your posts seem to suggest that you are between the age of 40-50, yet your avatar suggests that you go to McDonald's on Wednesday mornings for the 25-cent burgers.

That's Albert Tocco, the late godfather of the Chicago Heights mob. Good call on my age. I try to avoid McDonald's on Wednesday mornings. I don't want to run into Boilermaker Rick.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
I've fucking had it with the Flaming Lips.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:30 pm 

when doug's band makes it big (which they should), only he will be the one and only voice that can tell any of us what kind of talent we have, or don't. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
thread title wrote:
Girlfriend?

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I believe it was Yeats who said, "The best lack all conviction while the worst are filled with a passionate intensity."

Now you figure out where I am!

\m/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next