It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:07 pm 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
Man... was it a great weekend for college football. I'm sure all of your eyes were glued to the biggest game of the century. Yes, that's right. The battle for the Sweet Sioux Tomahawk... aka the battle for Last Place in the Big 10. NU vs. Illinois. Just kidding y'all. It's my last college post in awhile. I think there was a total of 22K at the game. That's as bad as it gets for a non conference game, let alone the two teams based in Illinois. And only place that covered it was ESPN 360... whatever that is. Hopefully both programs can turn themselves around. UofI fans that made it out there were very classy. Real good people. They generally had a good sense of humor about the state of each football program. Maligned programs, but have some things to build on for next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:48 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I would take that bet. There is some real talent coming into Champaign in these recruiting classes. I understand your doubt on Zook's ability to capitalize on it. I have those doubts also, but I think they will be a much improved squad next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Zook is a boob, plain and simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:38 am 

Illinois will be back in a January bowl in a few years, but that doesn't mean Zook will be the coach then.

Northwestern will probably be a longer haul to that, especially if Fitz decides to change the system and has to start recruiting a different kind of player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Amato's
Zook will be gone if his game management decisions do not improve. Could not believe that they did not kick the FG on 4th down late in the game down 8. Still would have been a 1 possession game and there was plenty of time to get the ball back. 2 weeks in a freakin' row he screwed that up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Mr. Reason wrote:
Zook is a boob, plain and simple.

He went for two twice against Indiana, failing both times. They lost by two. DOH !

<ยบ)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:16 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
They were winning that Indiana game 25-7. It should have never been an issue.

The problems with this team all year were turnovers and special teams play. They were the youngest team in the Big 10 and one of the youngest in the nation. But, this was a team that should have won 4-6 games this year with more disciplined play.

So, to me, he has the next 9 months to fix the problems.

Work with Williams and the offense to improve the accuracy in the passing game (they have the #1 WR recruit in the nation coming in)

Bring in 25 punters and do away with the rugby punt FOR-F#(@ING-EVER

Bring in Tom Coughlin and teach Mendenhall how to hang onto the ball

If he can fix those problems, then I expect a 7-9 win Illinois team next year with the defensive players coming back. If he can't, then I expect Tim Brewster will have a hell of a squad in 2008.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:40 am 

Zook has capitalized on his reputation as a recruiter. I think he has gotten a verbal from one of the best wide receiver prospects in the country. I'm not sure if Juice will be able to get it into his hands, but ya never know. Illini should be much improved next year. I have no doubt. Leman will come back, which should be huge. The defense has made real strides.

NU is definitely a different story. We actually already have some real talent. We just haven't been able to put it together. We finally found our QB, and he has some game experience now. I think there is a real chance for us to make it to a bowl game next year. And as far as recruiting, most people suggest that Fitz did a wonderful job getting commits this year. I think we have a good chance of winning 6+ games next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:20 pm 

As Illinois continues to improve with more talent, Zook's ability to use the talent will come into question. If he can get some good linemen to keep Juice upright, he will get better. He looks strong but needs more guidance in managing a game and some receivers to throw to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:21 pm 

I haven't seen Juice throw the long ball with accuracy. Quick outs and slants. He hasn't really shown anything in terms of potential for a deep threat. CJ Bacher, on the other hand, has. CJ doesn't have the mobility that Juice has, but that may be moot when you have a guy like Tyrell Sutton in the backfield to keep linebackers honest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:33 pm 

I have to say I haven't seen much of Bacher so I'll take your word on that. I think that Williams' most accurate throws have been the deep routes. His best plays of the year were broken play scrambles when he just sent the guys deep. He had one game with 2 70+ yard TD throws.

His problem is he has no timing with the receivers on the regular routes and they drop, literally, 3-6 throws a game. I think part of it is he just throws too hard and it is difficult to pick the ball even if it right at them and partly the receivers just botching it.

If Zook can work with the guys to get used to the timing of routes, get Williams to take a bit off it from time to time, and with a stud WR recruit coming in then the Illini offense would look alot better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:01 pm 

Quote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
If he can fix those problems, then I expect a 7-9 win Illinois team next year with the defensive players coming back. If he can't, then I expect Tim Brewster will have a hell of a squad in 2008.

I guess I was wrong unless all of Zook's recruits would transfer to Minnesota...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2732273