It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
the Vai concert on Palladia is called "Where the Wild Things Are."

it's pretty intense...two violins/keys, backing guitar, bass and drums. the Beck concert is sweet too. Gotta love Tal Wilkenfeld

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Vai and Yngwie

Can these guys exchange some vowels or something?

and when did te show go to $42? is that TM servce fees?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Vai? Yngwie? Satriani? That ain't what I call rock and roll. Go Meatpants go!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Doug,

I remember reading Tal's bio on Wikipedia one time and I had to go back and read it and it is impressive who she has played with considering she is only 23. She is more than a pretty face, for sure.

I am afraid to ask what Rod thinks rock and roll is....Bill Haley and the Comets? Jerry Lee Lewis? Chubby Checker?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
koach klaus wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Vai sucks? Yngwie sucks? But let's pay $40 to hear you sing "Hossa" and the "12 days of Bearsmas". Fucking awesome!
Douche.

How dare you question the credibility of a "musician" who "sings" jingles?? :P

If you get a chance and if you have the HD channel Palladia, check out the Steve Vai concert that plays with some frequency on that channel...pretty good show. They also play Jeff Beck's concert that he did at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club...that one is pretty fantastic. Although in Speigel's book...Beck is probably an amateur compared to his band's lead guitarist.

I watched the Vai concert on Palladia. It was great. I'm also a long time Jeff Beck fan from the Blow by Blow days, but his concert on Palladia didnt do much for me.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

koach klaus wrote:
Doug,

I remember reading Tal's bio on Wikipedia one time and I had to go back and read it and it is impressive who she has played with considering she is only 23. She is more than a pretty face, for sure.

I am afraid to ask what Rod thinks rock and roll is....Bill Haley and the Comets? Jerry Lee Lewis? Chubby Checker?

Yeah, those guys. Also, the Treniers, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Hounddog Taylor, T-Bone Walker, John Lee Hooker, Black Flag, Articles of Faith, Negative Element, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Royal Trux, The Dirtbombs, Sleater-Kinney, Bobby Conn, Pearly Sweets, Minor Threat, Devil Bell Hippies, G.G. Allin, Mott the Hoople, The Replacements, NWA, Sage Francis, Brother Ali, and Wu-Tang clan among others.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:59 pm 

g.g. allin wasn't rock he was just fucking deranged! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

G.G. could rock out when he put his mind to it. The Jabbers records were great and Freaks, burritos, Drunks & Junkies is a masterpiece.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:10 pm 

were you into husker du at all?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

The Huskers were never one of my favorites but they certainly had their moments. Zen Arcade and New Day Rising.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:23 pm 

i own "zen arcade" and it's pretty much the only one i wanted to have. there aren't too many bands i own the whole discography of. i listen to too many different kinds of music at too many different times...i was born into more of the alt period with stuff like mudhoney, pixies, nirvana, soundgarden, the melvins, and primus.

but my favorite band of all time is they might be giants...i love my geek rock.

Last edited by W_Z on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
W_Z wrote:

Bob Mould is a God.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
W_Z wrote:

FYI, how many people here can say that they actually saw GG Allin play live? I can.

Saw him at Medussa's (now the congress theatre I think) a couple weeks before he died. Saw him the night Scottie and Horace blocked 3 knicks shots in a row at the Garden to win a huge playoff game vs the Knicks. Was the craziest concert I've ever seen in my life. He came on the stage naked and carrying the american flag. Before even saying hello he put the flag on the stage, shoved a turkey baster up his ass, squirted something up his ass, took a diarhea shit on the flag, doused it with lighter fluid, lit it on fire and then put it out by rolling around on it. That was all before even singing the first song.

He would run into the audience and punch people in the face. People were constantly throwing lit cigarettes at him. He offered anyone there $20 to come on stage and take a shit in his mouth. The concert eventually ended early because he had broken every instrument and speaker.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:50 pm 

shakes wrote:
W_Z wrote:

FYI, how many people here can say that they actually saw GG Allin play live? I can.

Saw him at Medussa's (now the congress theatre I think) a couple weeks before he died. Saw him the night Scottie and Horace blocked 3 knicks shots in a row at the Garden to win a huge playoff game vs the Knicks. Was the craziest concert I've ever seen in my life. He came on the stage naked and carrying the american flag. Before even saying hello he put the flag on the stage, shoved a turkey baster up his ass, squirted something up his ass, took a diarhea shit on the flag, doused it with lighter fluid, lit it on fire and then put it out by rolling around on it. That was all before even singing the first song.

He would run into the audience and punch people in the face. People were constantly throwing lit cigarettes at him. He offered anyone there $20 to come on stage and take a shit in his mouth. The concert eventually ended early because he had broken every instrument and speaker.

That show sounds a lot like the two Marilyn Manson shows I saw at metro and, even worse: Crash Worship at a vacant warehouse on the west side somewhere. Those are some messed-up mother-fuckers. I can provide details of all three if anyone is actually interested.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Ahhhhh Yes, the guy who was going to kill himself for his final show!!!!!! A Johnny B Fave!

Palladia does fucking rock!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

shakes wrote:
W_Z wrote:

Medusa's was on Sheffield and School. It's not the Congress. I saw G.G. at the old Exit on Wells and at one of the Medusa's shows. I'm not sure it was the one you were at. Some friends of mine were playing in his band under the name "The Toilet Rockers". The Medusa's show I saw G.G. got beat up pretty bad. He was letting guys pay to smash him in the face.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

shakes wrote:
W_Z wrote:

Medusa's was on Sheffield and School. It's not the Congress. I saw G.G. at the old Exit on Wells and at one of the Medusa's shows. I'm not sure it was the one you were at. Some friends of mine were playing in his band under the name "The Toilet Rockers". The Medusa's show I saw G.G. got beat up pretty bad. He was letting guys pay to smash him in the face.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
chaspoppcap wrote:
W_Z wrote:

Bob Mould is a God.

Yes he is.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:43 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
shakes wrote:
W_Z wrote:

I think there was a second Medusa's opened after the one on Sheffield closed down. The show I was at was definitely at the Congress, maybe it wasn't called Medusa's when I was there but I thought it was.

My favorite part was when he shoved a pair of handcuffs up entirely up his ass..and then later in the show he pulled them out of his ass and threw them in the audience and they landed about 2 feet from me and some guy came over and picked them up and put them in his back pocket.

He was pretty beat up at the concert I saw, but that was from repeatedly smashing himself in the face with the microphone.

At one point he yelled out "where are all the women at" and about 30 girls RAN to the back of the place and out the door.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:57 pm 

http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/headbutt/

yep, according to that GG played at Medusa's in 1993 which is the concert I was at. The original Medusa's on Sheffield closed in 89. Coincidentally, one of my buddies ended up living in a loft in the old Medusa's building after it was converted in the early 90s.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:58 am 
Site Admin

shakes wrote:
http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/headbutt/

yep, according to that GG played at Medusa's in 1993 which is the concert I was at. The original Medusa's on Sheffield closed in 89. Coincidentally, one of my buddies ended up living in a loft in the old Medusa's building after it was converted in the early 90s.

Yeah, that's starting to seem familiar. I think Dave promoted shows under the Medusa's name at different venues for a while there. The one I saw at the original Medusa's I think was in '89. My band had a practice space on Lake and Carpenter and G.G. put his band together and worked out the set list there. One of my friends has been chasing success in the world of pop music his entire life and he's come close on several occasions. Hell, they played one of his songs on an episode of Dawson's Creek. He was the guitarist in the Toilet Rockers. Needless to say that isn't the first thing on his resume. But G.G. was pretty low-key when he wasn't all fucked up or on stage. And he was a hell of a foosball player.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:40 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
koach klaus wrote:
Doug,

Yeah, those guys. Also, the Treniers, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Hounddog Taylor, T-Bone Walker, John Lee Hooker, Black Flag, Articles of Faith, Negative Element, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Royal Trux, The Dirtbombs, Sleater-Kinney, Bobby Conn, Pearly Sweets, Minor Threat, Devil Bell Hippies, G.G. Allin, Mott the Hoople, The Replacements, NWA, Sage Francis, Brother Ali, and Wu-Tang clan among others.

Rock Wit the Beatles of Hip Hop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:52 am 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Phil McCracken wrote:
I think Vai and Yngwie are both crazy talented but I find it very difficult to listen to their music because its just too technical and fast paced .... they both don't have a great sense of what makes music enjoyable to listen to. But that being said I respect their talent greatly.

This......although, I don't find them difficult to listen to. However, I wouldn't go search them out, go to their show and don't have them in my CD towers.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:40 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
koach klaus wrote:
Doug,

something i thought i'd never ever read on this message board.

a royal trux reference.

fuck, a bobby conn reference, too!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:05 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
shakes wrote:
W_Z wrote:

And people here were concerned about no water breaks for the kids. YIKES!!!!! :shock: