It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:58 am 
1000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
The first pick was a great play but for some reason I don't remember the second one. I haven't seen the third pick yet but everything I've read suggests it was a terrible pass.

The first pick was a nice defensive play, but Grossman's throw was inaccurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:17 am 

EG Greg wrote:
For once I will agree with Nas, everyone windsocking back and forth is just crazy. I bet I can find posts by all of you yucking it up about how great Grossman was at the beginning of the year. Nothing changed, he is the same QB now as he was then. He has always had a tendency to throw off his back foot, to throw into triple coverage, to overthrow/underthrow his receivers etc.

People are not going back and forth. The Arizona game exposed Rex to what he is. He cannot stop himself from making mistakes once he starts making them. You can give all the credit to the defense, blame Ron Turner, or our recievers but just look at the passer rating of Rex and how it is plummeting. This is the 3rd game of the season where Rex was terrible. Try and direct the blame but it is true.

Look at the stats as the season has gone along. Rex has been on a downward trend. He played ok at New York and played to the game plan against the Jets. He has had 3 bad games and really good game against the 49ers.

I would take the Rex that takes what is given like he did against the Jets, but I cannot take the Rex who forces the ball all over the field because we have no chance at winning.

I don't care that the Bears are 9-2. The Bears were 10-4 with Orton and they pulled Kyle. Griese may be our best chance to win and he is experienced enough to not just throw up the ball and hope.

Who else on the team could have three four turnover games and there not even be a question as to who should be playing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:08 am 

Am I forgetting the Giants game? I know it seems like last year at this point, but wasn't that a game with the Bears down by 3 at the half? It was the same game that the Bears looked like they were finished before the Bradley touchdown late in the first half? The same Bears that looked like world beaters in the second half?

I am not saying that Rex couldn't have played a better game, but we need to keep some perspective. A young quarterback played poorly in a big game. He's also played pretty well at times this year and brought a team back to beat a Giants team on the road. ( The same Giants team that had yet to properly implode as they have over the past two weeks. )

He's got 5 games to go against teams he should beat. If Berrian is truly getting healthy, I'd like to think that the end of the season will give the offense some confidence back that they've lost on this road trip. They've found their running game, not their passing game needs to get healthy feeding on some bad teams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:21 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I was kinda drunk too Nas. I remember yelling at the t.v. a lot though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:44 am 

Quote:
I'm sure there area a lot of you guys wondering why I didn't post anything after the game. I didn't post because I was passed out drunk.

LOL, I knew it! I almost posted that you were probably passed out drunk. Jesus, how I wish I had drank myself unconscious last night.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:51 am 

The graphic they put up last night pretty much says it all: Rex is getting progressively worse as the season progresses. That is a very disturbing trend. You guys can talk all day long about how Rex looks great sometimes, but the fact remains that his play has regressed throughout the season, and he is now throwing 3 and 4 interceptions per game more often than not. Even if he only throws 4 interceptions one in three games, guess what? That means that he's going to have a four-pick game in the playoffs. There's just no way that the Bears can possibly hope to get to the Superbowl and win when you have a 1 in 3 chance of throwing 4 picks. I say if Rex is off target and throwing picks next week, you give Griese the second half and see if he can run the offense better. The Bears are 9-2, with 5 games remaining; they can afford to experiment right now, thanks to their early success. Once it's playoff time, however, it's too late; it's now or never. Looking at Rex's play, I feel they'd be wise to see what they have in Griese.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Pete's
That game proved why it's important to have a #1 receiver. They were playing man most of the game and the receivers couldn't get open. They couldn't sell their routes either. That's why 2 of the balls were picked off. He knew what route they were running.[/quote]

what would a #1 reciever do? rex can't get the ball to a bunch of #2's. he under threw all his throws last night!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Speaking of receivers, Berrian's "trademark" double-move didn't do shit yesterday. He just didn't run it crisply and the dbs never, ever bit on it. With his speed, why the hell was he trying to juke the db (poorly) so much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:24 pm 

MattInTheCrown wrote:
...I feel they'd be wise to see what they have in Griese.

They have a backup quarterback that's been run out of town from three different towns. A quarterback with a career 84.9 passer rating and completes 63% of his passes.. He's a serviceable backup QB, but I can't imagine he'd be the catalyst needed to turn around this Bears team. Don't forget, he gave Miami a blistering 69.2 rating in 2003, completing only 57% of his passes.

He's not Joe Montana and I don't really believe he's a savior.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Part of it is timing too Nas. The more he plays with his WR's, the better their timing will get. Rex will know when to throw the ball at the exact time when his WR has the most separation without it even being evident until after the ball is thrown. I was not one of the "Rex Supporters" so to speak, but even with the really bad games he has played i think you have to keep him in the games. Like Lovie said, they're 9-2 with him as starter. He's going to continue to develop and get better. Just because lately he's had some bad games recently doesn't even necessarily mean he has regressed. He still has little experience and this was the first time Rex had a three game road trip like this. The Dolphins defense has played well all year. Everyone needs to chill out. until Rex is single handedly losing games for the Bears week in/week out, you've got to stand by him right now.

Last edited by Woodridge Ryan on Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:31 pm 

my point is a #1 reciever will get open then rex will short him a pass that gets picked off! griese is no montana but he completion percentage is great. rex may progress but not at the rate where he's going to be great. we know what we have with him. griese needs a chance. he wasn't run out of tampa! tampa wanted to sign him. in miami he was hurt! denver got rid of him after he had 69% completion percentage! sounds a lot better than the 44% rex put up last night on a sub-par secondary!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:32 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
The graphic they put up last night pretty much says it all: Rex is getting progressively worse as the season progresses. That is a very disturbing trend. You guys can talk all day long about how Rex looks great sometimes, but the fact remains that his play has regressed throughout the season, and he is now throwing 3 and 4 interceptions per game more often than not. Even if he only throws 4 interceptions one in three games, guess what? That means that he's going to have a four-pick game in the playoffs. There's just no way that the Bears can possibly hope to get to the Superbowl and win when you have a 1 in 3 chance of throwing 4 picks. I say if Rex is off target and throwing picks next week, you give Griese the second half and see if he can run the offense better. The Bears are 9-2, with 5 games remaining; they can afford to experiment right now, thanks to their early success. Once it's playoff time, however, it's too late; it's now or never. Looking at Rex's play, I feel they'd be wise to see what they have in Griese.

His rating has dropped because of 3 turnover games.

Exactly. Don't go Wanney on me!

Quote:
He just led the Bears to a 2-1 record on a tough 3 game trip.

I wouldn't go as far as saying "led." He recovered after a poor start against the Giants, and didn't perform poorly enough to lose against the Jets. Like always, the D led the team to a 2-1 record (no thanks to the line, however).

Quote:
He is still a young quarterback and Griese still isn't better than him. He gives the Bears the best chance to win period.

I'm not so sure anymore. I think Rex has the greater potential for the big play, but I also believe he has a greater potential for the big negative play; like I said very early in the season, Rex giveth, and Rex taketh away. Who cares if Rex hits 2 50 yard passes if he also throws 3 interceptions? They offset, and it ends up he didn't really do much. This defense will make plays, and hold the opponent to a low score; that's almost a given. What this team absolutely, positively cannot afford is turnovers by the QB. And that's what Rex has been giving them, and in spades. It's bad enough that he throws interceptions so frequently, but he also has the tendency to fumble on sacks, and has shown several times that he will occasionally fumble the snap at crucial junctures.

I think they should see if Griese can manage the offense without throwing it to the wrong team every 3rd possession.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

Two things I wanted to address that I found interesting.

Quote:
sounds a lot better than the 44% rex put up last night on a sub-par secondary!

Well this depleted sub-par secondary gave Brett Favre fits a week before and Favre has played pretty darn well this year. Their front seven still does a good enough job to cover up the talent in their secondary.

Quote:
I think Rex has the greater potential for the big play, but I also believe he has a greater potential for the big negative play; like I said very early in the season, Rex giveth, and Rex taketh away.

I have to admit, that's an excellent point. This statement could very well hold to be true for Rex's entire career. We just don't know yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:39 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
...I feel they'd be wise to see what they have in Griese.

They have a backup quarterback that's been run out of town from three different towns. A quarterback with a career 84.9 passer rating and completes 63% of his passes..

That's better than Rex (77.6 Rating, 55.5 comp. % this season, 74.4 Rating, 54.9 comp. % career), so bring him on, I say.

Quote:
He's a serviceable backup QB, but I can't imagine he'd be the catalyst needed to turn around this Bears team.

Turn around? They don't need Joe Montana to come in here and turn a pile of fecal matter into a champion; they need a QB who wont turn the ball over with great frequency. If Griese can do that, they'll be a better team for it.

Quote:
Don't forget, he gave Miami a blistering 69.2 rating in 2003, completing only 57% of his passes.

Hey, no fair! That was one of those Wanney-led Miami disasters. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:41 pm 

Woodridge Ryan wrote:
Two things I wanted to address that I found interesting.

Quote:
sounds a lot better than the 44% rex put up last night on a sub-par secondary!

Well this depleted sub-par secondary gave Brett Favre fits a week before and Favre has played pretty darn well this year. Their front seven still does a good enough job to cover up the talent in their secondary.

favre didn't put up 3 pics! he had 0 int's. as far as his completion percentage he only had 15 attempts. i didn't see this game but looking at the numbers i would credit this to d-line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:44 pm 

I still think that this bears team will win the super bowl with Rex grossman because right now the bears only have one problem and it is holding on to the football. The coaches need to stress that Rex doesn't always need to make the big play. The defense is good enough to carry the team. Every quarterback makes a bad throw once in a while like that last one to Rasheed Davis. Also the bears did not even need the big play at that time, they had enough time to march down the field. Rex make the easy throws don't force things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:45 pm 

Quote:
Don't forget, he gave Miami a blistering 69.2 rating in 2003, completing only 57% of his passes.

in 5 games while he was hurt from the preseason!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

Well, the Bears aren't my team. I guess all I can say to the few of you on here is be careful what you wish for. Nas knew my feelings on Griese at the beginning of the year as I was one of his most loudest supprters on here, but with the 9-2 season and the fact Rex has been playing with these guys this entire time I just don't see the Bears being any better with Greise. Hell, Rex has more playoff experience than Griese even and he didn't even play that bad in the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:46 pm 

rex gets nervous doing interviews for channel 5! how can we expect this guy to lead us to a superbowl?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
Even after a turnover you still have that feeling he is going to come back and make a big play. Griese can't do that.

I guess I am on both sides of the fences because I can only recall one time when Rex Grossman led his team being down in the fourth to go on to win. (Minnesota this year after his bad turnover)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:53 pm 

griese falls down stairs because he was drunk. rex doesn't have "it." yeah he'll put up good numbers against gb, detroit, and a giants defense missing half of his starters but he's never consistant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:54 pm 

Quote:
Grossman's numbers are still good even though he has had a few bad games. His numbers are comparable to a lot of top quarterbacks in the league. There is no reason he should be replaced.

What numbers are those?

Quote:
It's not like he is playing like Johnathan Quinn. He gives the Bears the best chance to win. Even after a turnover you still have that feeling he is going to come back and make a big play. Griese can't do that.

Actually, after a turnover, I have the feeling that he is going to turn it over again. Early in the season I had confidence, but that is gone. I hung in the last 5 weeks hoping that he could get some consistency, but he's made no progress whatsoever; if anything, he's gotten worse. I don't see that as being debatable. In my mind, there's no actual reason to believe he's going to get any better in the next 5 games before the playoffs; all you can have is hope or faith, and I'm not big on either of those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:54 pm 

Nas wrote:
Grossman's numbers are still good even though he has had a few bad games. His numbers are comparable to a lot of top quarterbacks in the league. There is no reason he should be replaced. It's not like he is playing like Johnathan Quinn. He gives the Bears the best chance to win. Even after a turnover you still have that feeling he is going to come back and make a big play. Griese can't do that.

Even after a turnover you expect him to come out and make a big play? His biggest problem is that once he starts making turnovers, they don't stop. Good Rex is good and we blow out teams. Bad Rex is bad and we lose.

Also, what are his stats for the past 6 weeks? The first 4 games seem to be about 4 seasons ago now. He was the best QB in the league his first four games. His stats are plummeting back. I don't think his stats in the first four games are going to help us win a super bowl. All I can see is a player that gets rattled and tries to make too many plays. He thinks he can make every throw and he can't.

I would be shocked if he didn't have at least one more 4 turnover game by the end of the season, and I think that signals the end of Rex for this year if it happens.

Lovie has a lot of money riding on this season. He has two choices, either fix Rex Grossman or bench him. If he sticks with Rex in the playoffs and Rex throws 4 td's, it will cost Lovie millions of dollars. If he benches Rex, at least he can say he stayed with him as long as possible but Rex turned the ball over too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:56 pm 

Nas wrote:
Quote:

Don't forget about the NY game. Griese doesn't have the ability to do that. He has always been known to throw picks at the wrong time.

are you talking about the NY game where manning gave us the game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:59 pm 

Nas wrote:
john do you only post after the Bears/Grossman play a bad game? Do you think Orton would be a better play at quarterback than Rex?

i don't post when they win because i feel they should win every game with that defense. i think rex is better than orton but after dumming down the offense and rex still throwing int's i think orton would of probably led us to a win last night. i'll admit i think it's also contributed to turner's play calling but rex can't turnover the ball 4 times on the road and expect to win. i feel for the defense this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:05 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I think the answer is simple. Situational quarterbacks or "college of quarterbacks" if you will.

Grossman - starts and plays if we are behind
Griese - for close games and protecting leads
Orton - "The Closer" for when we have big leads and really want to shut the offense down :lol:

Actually, these last few games have made me wonder about using Griese this year. But, I think there is no way they are going to make that move. I don't think they should. Is it possible that Rex could have a bad playoff game? Yes. But it is possible that Griese could too. The Bears are likely to play home games until the SB and Grossman is a much better QB at home for some reason.

Also, any team trying to win the SB is reliant on their QB having a good playoff run. Grossman, if he does go bad, would not be the first to have a bad playoff run and he is the guy who is going to be the QB in the years to come. Unless they really don't see Grossman as their guy for the future (I do) then you need him to go through these experiences. I just don't see a change as being the best thing for the team or him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

You guys are very entertaining right now. Did anyone catch Joseph Addai's 4 touchdowns last night. :D :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Quote:
Griese doesn't have the ability to do that. He has always been known to throw picks at the wrong time.

As opposed to Grossman who throws picks at just the right times... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nas, no one is letting up on you in this one. You got any of that Kool-Aid left in your fridge for these kids?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:17 pm 

246 yards isn't exactly a monster. He was lucky they dropped some would-be interceptions as well. Don't get me wrong; he had a pretty good game. If he always played that well, the Bears really would be Superbowl bound, because they don't need excellence at QB, just adequacy. Sadly, Rex has shown himself to be incapable of being consistently adequate.

I'm listening to the Patrick show right now, and he brings up another salient point that I had forgotten: Rex's 4th quarter stats. They're off-the-charts bad. That's not a reassuring thing; basically, if the Bears are in trouble in the 4th quarter, they're straight fucked.

Look, I don't know if Griese would do better or not, but his career numbers lead me to believe he'd be at least as good. Given that, I think the Bears need to find out; I honestly see no chance of a Grossman-led Bears team making the Superbowl.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next