It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 8/5...OPV DAY
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: Nicola's
OPV isn't entertaining at all, to me. Entertainment value trumps opinion or insight.

That said, what expertise does OPV bring to the show? In terms of meatball-ness, he's kind of like the Carnage to Mac's Venom, if that makes sense. And the guy drops more malaprops than a drunken Jesse Rogers. Maybe Mac needs OPV in the studio as a buffer zone between himself and the, let's say, NBA. ;)

Spaulding or anyone else, please help me understand his appeal.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:40 am 

Jalapenos and More wrote:
OPV isn't entertaining at all, to me.

IOW he is the Jalapenos and More of the show?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Krazy Ivan wrote:
I have been sort of listening/mostly working this morning. I can't remember really hearing anything said by Vandy. He needs more precense. The way he just chimes in occasionally makes him seem like a producer just giving a quick thought...

I think the 3 man booth is hard for them. Goff hits it hard because he is trying to get his own spot and more air time. He talks a lot too much. It makes the show too auditioney.

The value for me is I think that Mac works harder and better when OPV is on with him. It doesn't have to be memorable just entertaining and I think it is. Mac sounds like he has energy, the show has more direction, and is genuine. That's when he is his best. Vandy has a good sense of humor too. I laughed at the old people joke about a half hour ago. I never laugh when Speigel is on. The show is just kind of there.

I'm not trying to get laid though that might be a case for originality here.

Souns like next Friday Aug 13 is another OPV day!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Nicola's
RFDC wrote:
OPV isn't entertaining at all, to me.

IOW he is the Jalapenos and More of the show?

Or the RFDC of this board.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:27 am 

OPV is a decent listen but not what one should expect on a top rated radio show in a large market. Having a host's buddy come and fill in for shows is a bit unprofessional IMHO.

the victory cry of low achievers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
If he is good or even decent and professional when he is there then it shouldn't matter. Don't look at it like a buddy is filling in. That's your issue.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
OPV has a fairly smooth delivery which makes me think that he must have done some radio before (maybe our resident radio wannabe can tell us if he's "covered the tabs" before). As far as content, it seemed to mostly be wise-assed stuff (tickets to a FUTURE White Sox game, haha). But it was fine. Goff was a little auditioney, as Spaulding said, but I think that's what happens in a 3 man booth. I once heard Jaworksi or Dierdorf say that analysts in a 3 man booth have to fight for their airtime. I think that's what was going on with Goff today. I would much rather see Goff as the only fill-in when Mac or Spiegs is away. But, overall, not bad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:50 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
OPV isn't entertaining at all, to me. Entertainment value trumps opinion or insight.

That said, what expertise does OPV bring to the show? In terms of meatball-ness, he's kind of like the Carnage to Mac's Venom, if that makes sense. And the guy drops more malaprops than a drunken Jesse Rogers. Maybe Mac needs OPV in the studio as a buffer zone between himself and the, let's say, NBA. ;)

Spaulding or anyone else, please help me understand his appeal.

Oh yes, the malaprops were palpable this morning.

Besides that, the Cub/Sox meatballery was so thick it could be cut with a knife. I had to PTFB. I can't listen to nonsense like, "Starlin Castro is the best young player in town". Maybe he is, but at this point, saying it means nothing. Karl Pagel and Corey Patterson were "the best young players in town" too. It just really gets old. I'd think after being wrong over and over you'd just shut your mouth and let it happen.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Passable listen today. I still think Goff is overrated by the majority on here

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: MackeyLand Pie Shop
Jason uses blustery confidence as his 'proof' that he is ready for prime time. He is ready. For Tulsa. Then again, if a lounge singer can hold down full time employment, as a sports talk host, on a part time basis maybe Jason is ready.

Goff declared that Castro is the best young playa in the city, yesterday, with Terrence and Daniel. Not surprising that he ran with that unique and original and meaningful thought today.

It's not a horrible sports talk show unless the host declares someone the best of something or points to three key things (or players) that have to perform to achieve success in the upcoming series or season. That really gets the fans talking, and that's what it's all about, right?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
snarky...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Snarky Snookie

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: MackeyLand Pie Shop
If Daniel McNeil's pal is just a fan, like Mike Murphy, is there a reason I don't see the guy trolling around this joint virtually licking Daniel and Matthew's buttholes?

Seems like he'd be a board regular. On that note, seems like the only shitty caller that also posts here is that dumb twat from Elmhurst. No 10 Foot Idiot, no Maddux Loser, and no Pedo From Evanston? Strange.

I didn't get a chance to listen to this whole show today, during which hour did the Night On The Town segment?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Vincent Antonelli wrote:
OPV is a decent listen but not what one should expect on a top rated radio show in a large market. Having a host's buddy come and fill in for shows is a bit unprofessional IMHO.

To go with your thought to Vincent, Mac on his show said a week before they started having Vandy on, the Score needs to push the young guy, like Goff and Holmes. He says that, then we he has Goff in, he also brings in another guy that's his friend. If you want to develop people, just have Goff fill in for Spiegs, you don't need to bring in a guy who barely works there, and if it was just Mac and Goff, Goff may not sound too auditioney.

Yes Vandy is there because he is Mac's friend, and for people that get on Goff when it's the 3 man shows, this is Goff's job, not Vandy's, Vandy screws up nobody cares, Goff screws up, it could affect him down the line.

If you did like these guys today, they will be back next Friday for pre-game of Bears vs Chargers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
reents wrote:
Vincent Antonelli wrote:

To go with your thought to Vincent, Mac on his show said a week before they started having Vandy on, the Score needs to push the young guy, like Goff and Holmes. He says that, then we he has Goff in, he also brings in another guy that's his friend. If you want to develop people, just have Goff fill in for Spiegs, you don't need to bring in a guy who barely works there, and if it was just Mac and Goff, Goff may not sound too auditioney.

Yes Vandy is there because he is Mac's friend, and for people that get on Goff when it's the 3 man shows, this is Goff's job, not Vandy's, Vandy screws up nobody cares, Goff screws up, it could affect him down the line.

If you did like these guys today, they will be back next Friday for pre-game of Bears vs Chargers.

Spiegs will be on vacation that whole week, starting August 16th, guys. Doug Buffone sits in for Spiegs starting that Monday when "The Danny Mac Show" broadcasts live in Bourbonnais at Bears' Camp.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:12 pm 

pizza_Place: grimaldis
SHARK wrote:
reents wrote:
Vincent Antonelli wrote:

Spiegs will be on vacation that whole week, starting August 16th, guys. Doug Buffone sits in for Spiegs starting that Monday when "The Danny Mac Show" broadcasts live in Bourbonnais at Bears' Camp.

is speigs going to fat camp?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Krazy Ivan wrote:
I have been sort of listening/mostly working this morning. I can't remember really hearing anything said by Vandy. He needs more precense. The way he just chimes in occasionally makes him seem like a producer just giving a quick thought...

Never liked the 3 man weave without Jurco or Turd!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:00 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
I think Goff is overvalued as a host as well. He always seems too eager when he's a copilot. Somebody needs to tell him to breath every so often.