It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:31 am 

I do like the show but it's really hard to stay interested in the show for long periods of time with the continuity issues. One of the things that got me hooked on MJH was that it was always roughly the same show every day I was driving home. Even when someone was out for vacation/sick/suspended it still seemed like the same show.

The same was and still is true for Boers and Bernstein. Even when Terry is gone it still sounds similar. Maybe it's because Bernstein is really good at what he does. It's also a clearly established show.

I'm not complaining about vacation time or anything like that but the constant musical chairs going on makes it hard to go from show listener to loyal listener. There have been recent weeks where I haven't switched from music to The Danny Mac show.

Especially for someone who is still relatively unestablished in this market like Spiegel is I would think that he'd want to help build up his brand by being there more often.

I know this was kind of random.

I do have one solution. Add Jason Goff as a full time host on the show. Therefore, you can have a dynamic like MJH had where as long as 2/3 of the people were still in studio the show had a continuity to it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Yeah, Speigs sure does seem to miss a lot of shifts, both here and on that other weekend show he guest hosts.

But I warn you, last time I got into a time-off debate with this show I had death threats.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:40 am 

pizza_Place: Langel's
I'm guessing maybe he had it included in his contract. Don't know much about them, but he did have Tributo before joining Mac, so I think he probably brought it up in negotiations.

I like Jason Goff solo way better than doing a show with anybody. He has thoughts that seem to get stepped on in the "Three Man Weeve".

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
I'm not sure what it is either. I like the show when I listen. It just hasn't gotten to the point of appointment radio for me yet.

I'd love to hear Mac, Goff and Spiegs for a week or so. I think that could be quite good depending on how the dynamic between Goff and Spiegs works

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Darkside wrote:
But I warn you, last time I got into a time-off debate with this show I had death threats.

Whoa, whoa. Nobody's threatnin' nobody. Just saying accidents happen, dats all...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: MackeyLand Pie Shop
Great point by the OP, and it is puzzling that the management of the station doesn't seem to really care (and apparently endorses and supports) the continued weeks & onesy-twosy days off taken by their midday show. It's not that anyone is jealous or is just hating, it is the consistency part that is big to listeners.

How is singing in a cover band such a big deal to Matthew? Isn't co-hosting a sports talk show in one of the largest cities in the US a big deal? Isn't this the same jackass that high-tailed it to the west coast to do national sports talk radio? What, may I ask, did this epic and legendary cover band do when he was out there? Did he take a few days off at a time to allow for travel time back and forth to Chicago to play The Beacon Tap in Des Plaines? Did he work it into his contract to have them pay for his airfare back so he could open for a real band at Fitzgeralds on a Saturday night?

This guy being unable to wake up and rally through a four hour sports talk show the day after a gig is a pretty good barometer of how big of a deal sports talk is in the industry. It's obviously peanuts, so who cares if you have a morbidly obese annoying guy continually missing shifts because he needs his beauty sleep after cranking out some Who Let The Dogs Out at a HS Prom? It's only sports talk radio.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Northside_Dan wrote:
I'm not sure what it is either. I like the show when I listen. It just hasn't gotten to the point of appointment radio for me yet.

I'd love to hear Mac, Goff and Spiegs for a week or so. I think that could be quite good depending on how the dynamic between Goff and Spiegs works

When Goff and Spiegs were together during Mac's vacation, they were pretty good together.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:06 am 

Darkside wrote:
I've become immune to them after all the ones Frank sent me for my Cutler thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:08 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I can tell you never did drink that beer I sent you.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
it drives me nuts when both halves of a pair are gone. WTF? is it your show or not? protect the brand morons!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
SnarkyHater wrote:

How is singing in a cover band such a big deal to Matthew? .

IT'S A TRIBUTE BAND!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: Langel's
bigfan wrote:
SnarkyHater wrote:

IT'S A TRIBUTE BAND!

Dewey Finn wrote:
"God of Rock, thank you for this chance to kick ass. We are your humble servants. Please give us the power to blow people's minds with our high voltage rock. In your name we pray, Amen."

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:48 am 

So yesterday we had Mac, Goff, and Vandy. Today we have Hub and Spiegel?

That's a total of five hosts in two days for a two man show?

I guess it's no shock that over a year later this show really seems to have no identity.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:57 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Mac is at the top of his game when he doesn't give a shit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:59 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
SnarkyHater wrote:

1) Its a fun hobby
2) Its money
3) He's good at it

When you finally get good at something other than making pissy and whiney posts here, maybe you will understand.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:46 am 

Tuned in today. Show was pretty good so far.

I guess Spiegel is taking the rest of the week off though. I guess it was a good run of two days in a row where the actual hosts of the show are both actually hosting the show. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:54 am 

pizza_Place: sit down
Darkside wrote:

shakes was just kidding around again. unless, ya know, you work at BK or something.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:16 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Tuned in today. Show was pretty good so far.

I guess Spiegel is taking the rest of the week off though. I guess it was a good run of two days in a row where the actual hosts of the show are both actually hosting the show. :lol:
I'm surprised no one pointed this out but Spiegel and Mac were both in studio on Wednesday and Thursday.

Was I wrong that when they were doing over/unders that they said that Spiegel would be gone the rest of the week so they had to do it that day? They could have done it today otherwise.

Was I wrong or did things change?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Mac is at the top of his game when he doesn't give a shit.

He blows anyway so who gives a rats ass.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
I'm guessing maybe he had it included in his contract. Don't know much about them, but he did have Tributo before joining Mac, so I think he probably brought it up in negotiations.

I like Jason Goff solo way better than doing a show with anybody. He has thoughts that seem to get stepped on in the "Three Man Weeve".

He had his band before he joined the show, but wasnt he in LA for the longest time living broke out there? His band is a side thing and his daytime radio show is more important and more than likely the bigger bread winner. Not sure but I would pick the main gig over the lil one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Forward Unto Dawn Mess Hall
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Was I wrong that when they were doing over/unders that they said that Spiegel would be gone the rest of the week so they had to do it that day? They could have done it today otherwise.

Was I wrong or did things change?

You should know you don't have to ask that question more than once...if you were, there are scores of people who would be more than happy to point it out... :P