It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Different hosts?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

johnnyfontane wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Terry doens't have anything life threatening. It's just aches and pains. That bastard will live to 100.

If the plan is to replace Terry with Drinky, Goff or Larry then I'd acually prefer Terry to stay. The best option would be to let Bernstein go solo

I don't know. I've heard Goff call Bernsie on some of his crap while producing. His input into the show is much, much more now than, say 2-3 years ago. I don't think he'd be a Bernstein lover like LoHo.

Bernstein allows Goff to needle him. Goff doesn't lick him like Larry but it's still a lot of parroting. Plus every now and then Bernstein will take a stand against Goff and Goff puts his tail between his legs, like Larry, and changes his mind. They all fear Bernstein. Make no mistake about that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
johnnyfontane wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Terry doens't have anything life threatening. It's just aches and pains. That bastard will live to 100.

If the plan is to replace Terry with Drinky, Goff or Larry then I'd acually prefer Terry to stay. The best option would be to let Bernstein go solo

I don't know. I've heard Goff call Bernsie on some of his crap while producing. His input into the show is much, much more now than, say 2-3 years ago. I don't think he'd be a Bernstein lover like LoHo.

I wouldn't mind hearing Bernsy go solo. Have you ever had a chance to hear Bernsy pinch hit for Dan Patrick? Not too bad...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Yeah, I have found that I like Mac and Spiegs as much or more when they are on with someone other than each other.

Shows I have heard and generally liked better than the original:
Mac/Goff
Mac/Goff/OPV
Mac/Doug
Spiegs/Goff
Spiegs/Loho
Spiegs/Rosenbloom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Spaulding wrote:
BECAUSE THE SHOW IS NOT GOOD!!!! Can anybody tell me what they like about this show as is besides it's not vanilla ESPN or W&S?

I don't know what the perfect show would sound like. I know that I like it better than any other sports talk show on the radio right now. A couple years ago I thought B&B were the best, but they have become far more hostile towards callers which turns me off. M&H are fine, but uninspiring. Mike & Mike is crap. W&S are decent. Teiny's voice is irritating to the point that my ears hurt. I think Mac and Spiegs do a pretty good mix of topics and formats. Is it perfect? Probably not. But it's an easy listen and it keeps me tuned in.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Sometimes that's all it takes. I mean Spiegel's voice is far less annoying than Waddle's or Silvy's.

Speigel often sounds like a breathy throaty version of a cross between Chet Coppock and the Cowardly Lion that occasionally breaks out into song so I'm going to say bullshit on that one.

Mac and Speigel as partners bring out the worst in each other. I like them seperately though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Spaulding wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Sometimes that's all it takes. I mean Spiegel's voice is far less annoying than Waddle's or Silvy's.

Speigel often sounds like a breathy throaty version of a cross between Chet Coppock and the Cowardly Lion that occasionally breaks out into song so I'm going to say bullshit on that one.

Mac and Speigel as partners bring out the worst in each other. I like them seperately though.

Silverman sounds like a whiny 14 year old on the verge of his voice changing most of the time, and Waddle sounds disinterested, IMO. I would rather listen to the Chetwardly Lion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Greenstein is my least favorite of the fill ins, especially since it causes no transition. :x
Everyone else that's filled in is fine by me.

Eaglo, you're my guy, but transitions are so freaking overrated, it borders on ridiculous. So it's 4 guys trying to get a word in edgewise instead of 2?

I admit they could be entertaining back in the Score's heyday, but now, it's old and played out.

It's like they're having a Milton Berle contest, and they all figuratively take out "just enough" to think they're winning whatever contrived "topic of that day's transition" is.

Keep it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:24 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
BECAUSE THE SHOW IS NOT GOOD!!!! Can anybody tell me what they like about this show as is besides it's not vanilla ESPN or W&S?
Mac is by far the most interesting host of all four people. The parody songs, while overdone and sometimes annoying, can be interesting. When listening you don't have to wonder what they aren't saying because they are afraid of the ESPN suits getting mad. Crosstalk with the show after is normally high quality radio. Jason Goff, when subbing in, is more interesting than either Silvy or Waddle or Spiegel.

It's pretty easy to see who this board finds to be more interesting. The Silvy and Waddle section is a ghost town. At best, it seems most people switch over during commercials on the Score. Silvy and Waddle are very vanilla and forgettable. Mac has basically abandoned this board and his section still gets a ton of attention. I obviously don't listen to W&S much, and it's an acceptable show similar to Mulligan and Hanley but really it's forgettable after it's over.

I actively enjoy listening to The Danny Mac Show and B&B. I can't say the same about any other current show in Chicago. Judging by ratings and forum interest I'd say that most agree with me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:26 pm 

I flip over for it. Overrated maybe but not as bad as you say.

You guys have bad opinions today.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Ed_from_Lisle wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Greenstein is my least favorite of the fill ins, especially since it causes no transition. :x
Everyone else that's filled in is fine by me.

Eaglo, you're my guy, but transitions are so freaking overrated, it borders on ridiculous. So it's 4 guys trying to get a word in edgewise instead of 2?

I admit they could be entertaining back in the Score's heyday, but now, it's old and played out.

It's like they're having a Milton Berle contest, and they all figuratively take out "just enough" to think they're winning whatever contrived "topic of that day's transition" is.

Keep it.

I get a laugh out of it most of the time, which is what I'm hoping for. Definitely not as good as it was back in the day, but I still look forward to it. The end of today's show with Greenstein felt like a funeral. :(

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
beni hanna wrote:
Yeah, I have found that I like Mac and Spiegs as much or more when they are on with someone other than each other.

Mac/Goff
Mac/Goff/OPV
Mac/Doug
Spiegs/Goff
Spiegs/Loho
Spiegs/Rosenbloom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:53 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
I flip over for it. Overrated maybe but not as bad as you say.

You guys have bad opinions today.

Ratings = opinions

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:59 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
I haven't seen the most recent ratings, but from what they had been over the first year of mac n spiegs, mac n spiegs lose listeners (in terms of numbers/ratings) from Mully and Hanley and then B&B's ratings pick up listeners over Mac n Spiegs. So, Mac n Spiegs, while beating W&S handily, are (or at least have been) a ratings valley between M&H and B&B.

I'm sure Mac would be the first to say he's not happy with being #3 at his own station, even if he's curb-stomping W&S, and that his show needs to improve its ratings.

And I assume those quarterly bonus checks Mac always goes on about are tied to ratings.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:03 pm 

Yeah, but M&H are morning drive and B&B are afternoon drive, which I would think would naturally have more listeners. Are the ratings recorded on a minute by minute basis? In other words, do they know what is happening at 9am and then again at 1pm?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:59 am 

Ed_from_Lisle wrote:
...It's like they're having a Milton Berle contest, and they all figuratively take out "just enough" to think they're winning whatever contrived "topic of that day's transition" is.

That, my old buddy Ed, is how to paint a picture.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:07 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
:bom:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Spaulding wrote:
All these different partners feel like tryouts for a new show. Is something going on?

Scorehead, if you want to contribute to this thread please make it something other than Speigel sucks and you'd be glad if he would be replaced blah blah blah.

I have posted numerous times about the Score hosts whom I would like to see work together.

Spiegel sucks...

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
shirtless driver wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

Mac/Goff
Mac/Goff/OPV
Mac/Doug
Spiegs/Goff
Spiegs/Loho
Spiegs/Rosenbloom

Easy now shirtless. Wait until you listen to all of the evidence. Wait...wrong section. I too was certain this would be a painful listen but was pleasantly surprised. If you have a chance to hear this pairing in the future give it a try.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

Maybe everybody is making too much of a big deal over backups subbing for the SCORE's prime shows. Maybe it just means it's what the SCORE has and somebody has to do it. Maybe none of them are in line to get the next opening.

Keep in mind, Hampton and Speigel came out of no where to take daypart shows. Mitch didn't give it to his bench when he had a chance and he didn't even give "Hamp and Holmes" a year. But that show did mean that this picture will forever be on the internet for all to laugh at. So we can thank Mitch for that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Beardown wrote:
Maybe everybody is making too much of a big deal over backups subbing for the SCORE's prime shows. Maybe it just means it's what the SCORE has and somebody has to do it. Maybe none of them are in line to get the next opening.

Keep in mind, Hampton and Speigel came out of no where to take daypart shows. Mitch didn't give it to his bench when he had a chance and he didn't even give "Hamp and Holmes" a year. But that show did mean that this picture will forever be on the internet for all to laugh at. So we can thank Mitch for that.

Keep in mind LoHo was handed that midday slot on a silver platter when "Mully & Hanley" shifted to morning drive once Mike North left 670 The SCORE for good about 2 years ago. Did Brian "The Whipping Boy" Paruch, Matt "Drinky" Abbatacola, Jason Goff, Chris "The Ranger" Rongey or any of the other part-timers on The SCORE's bench get a chance to host that 2 hour show between 10a-12Noon weekdays other than Laurence? HELL NO!

A big part of the problem with that midday show was that Dan Hampton stuttered miserably, kinda like "Stuttering" John Melendez when he was with Howard Stern back in the day... Hampton really sucked trying to get out a complete sentence and in the process drove a lot of listeners away from WSCR. I also felt letting the "Bear out of his cage", as the SCORE's former big voice guy mentioned in station promos, was a bad idea from the getgo, especially because I thought Comcast SportsNet's Pat Boyle seemed to work better with LoHo than the Hall-of-Famer. Hampton may be a Hall-of-Famer as a football player, but he was terrible as a co-host!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:12 pm 

Who was the poster that used to send out all of Mitch's memos?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:24 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Spaulding wrote:
Who was the poster that used to send out all of Mitch's memos?

That was Nostradamus.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:40 am 

i thought mac and greenstein sounded good.

i've been able to catch the show a few times on my breaks and i realize that i still like it better when spiegel is not on the air.