It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big 10 Hoops Preview
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:20 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Being bored and a big Big 10 fan (and tired of refreshing my knowledge of Illinois gun laws), I thought I throw down my conference predictions for the year - so here goes -

2006-07 Conference Standings (FINAL)

1. Wisconsin - veteran leadership will be the difference, Tucker and Chris Rock, I mean Kammron Taylor are the types of veteran combos that win Big 10 titles

2. OSU - will battle WISC all year but come up just short - Oden is a beast but the Fresh combo of Cook, Oden, and Conley's inexperience will cause them to lose a couple games they shouldn't (Wisc won't - at least not as many). OSU has the most talent and probably will be best come tourney time

3. Illini - sentimental choice for me but Randle and Smith are talents and they consistently play great D. Injuries have killed them so far but they are starting to get healthy and I think they will exceed expectations

4. Indy - They should be pretty good this year but with a new coach they have been unimpressive so far. White and Wilmont are solid but it might take them a few games in the Big 10 season before the team starts to gel.

5. Purdue - Carl Landry is the best player you never hear about. David Teague is also solid and I think Painter is a good enough coach that this team will start to move back up

6. MSU - they lost a ton of guys but Izzo will have them competing. Neitzel is good but it will take the young guys around him to step up in Big 10 play. They might surprise.

7. Mich - they have some talent, Sims is 6'11" and playing better but I suspect Amaker can't coach and this team still won't do anything

8. PSU - Claxton is a good player - they'll win some games you won't expect

9. Iowa - lost too many guys from last year

10. Minny - just not very good

11. NW - I would hav put them 9 but a 2 point win over Wheaton College is less than unimpressive and should require them to go to #12 if I could do it.

Just my opinions. If I was going to be honest with myself I'd probably drop the Illini down to 4 but I can't put them behind Indy and go to sleep at night and I do think they will be pretty good so I'll stick with them at 3.

Can't wait for serious college buckets to start! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:31 am 

Good preview there Dr.

I agree that Purdue might be a surprise team. Painter has really started to rebuild that program. He's a good young coach from the Bruce Weber mode.

I also agree that Wisconsin is the best team in the Big 10. Bo Ryan is a jag but he gets alot out of his teams. Tucker is the best player in the Big 10, hands down.

Michigan might have enough talent to challenge but history says that they will underachieve.

As for my beloved, they will win a few they shouldn't and lose a few they shouldnt. A greatyear for them would be 500 in the big ten, but 6-10 more likely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:54 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
I might have to rethink these rankings if Greg Oden continues to make every single shot he takes as a collegian. But, Wisconsin looked pretty strong today also.

But a convincing victory tomorrow by the Illini over Belmont will certainly put the entire Big 10 on notice. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

Oden is so good already, and with his size, he's unguardable. Ohio St. will win the Big 10.

Love your writeups though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:23 pm 

Yeah, BD, after watching their game today it would be hard to argue with you. But...I'll do it anyway.

I think as the Big 10 season goes on, it can wear on the younger guys who aren't used to it. And, after the league gets a good look at Oden, they will figure out a way to limit what he can do (not stop him, just contain him as DP would say). That might mean sending 3 guys at him and making the other guys beat you, but teams will sell out if they must to try to make the other guys beat them. There will be nights on the road when the young guys on that team won't be able to do it.

So, I am going to stick with Wisconsin but the Badgers better not lose 3 games, because I think the Buckeyes will be 13-3 at absolute worst. And, no, it wouldn't surprise me if I was completely wrong and OSU went 16-0, but I don't think they will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:02 am 
1000 CLUB

I'd put OSU ahead of Wisky, Purdue ahead of Indiana and Iowa ahead of Penn State. Otherwise, pretty strong list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:29 pm 

Coast, after looking at my list again, I agree Iowa should be ahead of Penn St.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:39 pm 

I thought the Illinois / Missouri game was a really well-played basketball game. Both teams ran their stuff well and Illinois really took care of the basketball under the pressure of the Mizzou press.

(I realize I'm talking to myself in this forum, but I still love talking college hoops...even to myself. Echo..Echo...Echo...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:51 pm 

That guy is pretty solid. He's a good college player. What was his deal coming out of Hyde Park? Grades?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:14 am 

Northwestern is god awful. When Kevin Doyle who seems to me a guy who wouldn't score 20 in a pickup game at the local Y is your best player, you are in trouble.

DePaul is probably wishing they could play them now since they are hitting on all cylinders right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:17 am 

What's up with Northwestern too? I know I have feet of clay on this issue (being an Illinois FB fan) but a 2 point win over Wheaton College and losing to Tennessee Tech?

That just doesn't help the Big 10 once the arguments start flying about strength of conferences.

'Cats -- PLEASE beat Puerto Rico Mayaguez.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:18 am 

Quote:
What's up with Northwestern too? I know I have feet of clay on this issue (being an Illinois FB fan) but a 2 point win over Wheaton College and losing to Tennessee Tech?

That just doesn't help the Big 10 once the arguments start flying about strength of conferences.

I was watching CBS on Saturday and Seth Davis mentioned that the Big Ten was the weakest of the "BCS" conferences (basketball that is). Or at least weaker than the Big 12.

I don't watch a lot of college basketball, usually get into it once conference plays begins, but what do you guys think? Compare the Big Ten to the other conferences. I know once again the ACC won the ACC/Big Ten challenge this year and the Big Ten was dissapointing last year in the tournament. Will Big Ten basketball be similar to Big Ten football, two powerhouse teams, a couple of good teams and the rest mediocre?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:52 am 

I have a hard time rating the conferences also until January or so and you get a look at teams playing real competition.

Teams I thought looked good so far are Arizona, UCLA, UNC and Ohio St. but I haven't seen a lot of teams yet. So, based on that I guess you would look to the Pac 10 and ACC but I don't know the strength of the rest of their conferences.

I watched Duke get all they wanted (hi, Johnny Clicheboy) from Kent State last night. So, who knows.

I suspect you are right in thinking the Big 10 BB will be similar to the FB as I think OSU and Wisc will be very good and the rest of the Big 10 is a crapshoot.

I saw NW got a big 7 point win over Puerto Rico Mayaguez, so I guess we don't need to worry about the 'Cats. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:00 pm 

I can guarantee that Northwestern will still beat my beloved in Evanston. Happens every year, kinda like the year changing when we go from 12/31 to 1/1. The Alford bashers are out again. Too bad they gave him an extension going into the year.