It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Another goofball PTFB rant today.
Jim there had a valid complaint. And once again, a listener was invited to become an ex-listener.
question...
I don't remember Mac being this thin skinned while on ESPN. Was he and I was just starry eyed or is this particularly new to his new position at WSCR?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
What was the complaint offered by the listener?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:52 am 

T-Bone wrote:

The call was actually to M&H, and he said something to the effect of "it's nice to listen to someone talk sports instead of meat and movies."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:53 am 

Darkside wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

The call was actually to M&H, and he said something to the effect of "it's nice to listen to someone talk sports instead of meat and movies."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
"Some people like vanilla and some like chocolate"

But shouldn't you try to appeal to both, perhaps by cutting down on the non-sports talk just a little bit to appease a portion of your audience? Or at least appear as if you are? I don't see how just dismissing the complaint helps the situation...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:57 am 

Perhaps ESPN had some crazy policy that you dont tell people not to listen to you show?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
I heard that (Why was I listeneing to M&H? :scratch: ). He is deffinately a lot more touchy than he used to be. His rants on 1000 were more times than not directed at co-workers and media members. Don't recall him telling anyone to listen to B&B. I don't really dig his show anymore. With b-ball season here, I'm sure he's going to ignore it and stay focused on his hockey talk. Couple that with the 70's rock music and meatball football talk and it looks like I'm a PTFB guy...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:02 am 

crosscheck wrote:
"Some people like vanilla and some like chocolate"

But shouldn't you try to appeal to both, perhaps by cutting down on the non-sports talk just a little bit to appease a portion of your audience? Or at least appear as if you are? I don't see how just dismissing the complaint helps the situation...

All I am saying is this...
I believe that the biggest complaint (by that I mean most common) is the non-sports nincompoopery. I get that. See, if I want other man-talk, there's better outlets available than Mac. I tune to sports talk radio because... um, I want to listen to sports talk.
Just so there's no misunderstanding, I don't mind the other topics they talk about. That really isn't that big a deal to me.
But to so strongly dismiss the feedback and tell them to go elsewhere instead of even considering adapting just seems so familiar, like another long gone Score host.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:07 am 

Here's another way of looking at it...
Danny is appealing to his exact age group with his classic rock fascinations and the movies talk and such. I'm willing to bet that most 18-26 year olds have no fucking clue what he's talking about and more 26-35 year olds might fondly remember such movies and bands but certainly don't need to hear about them daily. I'm sure the 45+ crowd digs on the John Rutsey trivia but I'll wager that nearly 85% or better of the listeners under 45 didn't really much give a crap. :lol:
I'm straying from my intended topic. I don't necesserally really feel like I noted above but I'm saying I understand the criticism and consider it quite valid even if I don't really agree with it.
I just think telling your customers to go elsewhere has an effect larger than the exact person to which the comment was targeted. if I were in a diner and the waitress told a customer to fuck off and get the fuck out of the resturaunt... I'd say that might be my last trip even though she didn't say it to me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
The goal for most people in broadcasting is to appeal to as many people as possible. Then the ratings get higher, more companies want to advertise, and more money is brought to the broadcast outlet. Once you show that you command this kind of market power, the sawbucks follow.

If Mac thinks at all, he thinks that when he tells someone to PTFB, this somehow endears him to his cult like followers. He has established a small vocal group of fans. Only Kars for Kids wants to advertise there because most of the cult has old beat up cars.

Mackeyfish, the recession contracts aren't going to end for you even when the recession is over.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:09 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I get what you guys are saying, but what is the difference between Mac telling a listener to PTFB, and B&B yelling at callers, laughing at callers, telling them that they are stupid, etc etc?

Seems to me that some of you love that on B&B, but hate the way Mac does this when its virtually the same thing.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I get what you guys are saying, but what is the difference between Mac telling a listener to PTFB, and B&B yelling at callers, laughing at callers, telling them that they are stupid, etc etc?

Seems to me that some of you love that on B&B, but hate the way Mac does this when its virtually the same thing.

Mac has no smart, funny upside. He's just a lazy blowhard.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:11 am 
100000 CLUB

Wow I had no idea you felt that way about him :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:11 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

I think it's one thing to make fun of callers and another to use code profanity at them on the show, especially since the guy he was talking to really didn't even call his show to complain.
But leave it to a Sox fan to bring the other team into a conversation about this team. Come one man. This is about Mac. If you want to know how we feel about B&B and how they treat callers ask me there in that forum and I'll give you my pointless opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:12 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

B&B don't tell their listeners to go elsewhere. They make fun of stupid callers. If you aren't a stupid caller, it shouldn't bother you very much. On the other side, Mac doesn't even attempt to talk about things that appeal to me. I could give a shit how he treats his callers...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:12 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
You are only saying this because you love Mac. If it was Murph who were were talking about I highly doubt you would be beating this as often and as hard as you have been over the past 2 years.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:13 am 
100000 CLUB

No. Its a valid question because these things are so similar, and because the shows are both on the same station.

Murph didn't go to the school I went to.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:21 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
I like when Mac talks pop culture and the like, but I am 40 years old and get most of his cultural references. I'm guessing a lot of the 70's rock and Slap Shot talk goes over the heads of the coveted 18-34 year old demographic. I'm thinking part of the reason for bringing Spiegel in was to hip it up for that demo. The problem is Spiegel is 40, and not the least bit hip. I don't think telling people to not listen is ever a good strategy, and should be frowned upon by management. Of course, we all no Rosen has no balls, and Mac will do what he can get away with. Personally, I don't need 4 hours of hardened sports talk, but agree they do need to hip this show up a little. Maybe let Finfer chime in a little more? Dahl recently said that Mac is a guy who ripped off Coppock's act, and does it for less money. Maybe Mac needs to turn off the cruise control, and drive the bus for awhile. I think a mix off sports and pop culture is a perfect recipe for a great sportstalk show. That's why I like B&B so much.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:21 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
No. Its a valid question because these things are so similar, and because the shows are both on the same station.

OK, then I'll answer your question with a rambling explaination that may or may not make sense.
I AM a Mac fan. That's the thing. I've been listening to him for a LONG time. LOVED the Salon (sic).
I'm relatively new to B&B because I was a Mac fan which led me to listen to S&R and the various Silvy/Carmen/Rome/Mariotti combos. So it's not like I'm saying this because I like B&B and I hate Mac or something. I'm seeing this and saying it as a fan. I mean, christ man, I'm listening almost every day, the only time I don't is when I'm in meetings or some shit.
B&B is different. Their callers are often masochists, they know what they're getting into, and it's basically their "bit" to argue with the callers. That's their thing. And that's why it's different.
B&B aren't trying to hate on their callers. Mac was (seemed) genuinely pissed each time this came up. Either here on the board or on the air. And I am actually a bit surprised. I never remembered him being so damn worked up over criticism before and now he gets mad about it.
My original post was just asking if anyone else thought this was a recent evolution.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:24 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

I think the difference is that B&B don't make it a point discuss criticisms of their show. Mac brings this up on his own, and makes it a point to say that this is who he is, and tells people to PTFB if they don't like it... Making it appear as if he is a little thin skinned... I don't remember B&B really doing this...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:27 am 
100000 CLUB

It does come off as thin skinned. I'm just pointing out that I see people critisize Mac for this, yet these are the people that tend to really like B&B, when B&B basically tell their callers to fuck off as well.

If thats a "bit" done by the callers, I guess its just lost on me because I think that thats incredibly lame and even more childish than telling somebody to PTFB.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:28 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
If thats a "bit" done by the callers, I guess its just lost on me because I think that thats incredibly lame and even more childish than telling somebody to PTFB.

:lol:
Well I think most of the callers who get ripped are trying to do so but I get what you're saying.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Really well put A7X. I'm 26, and I get most of the cultural references. The problem is, I didn't grow up with them so they don't have a special place in my heart. I generally like the show, so the tangents are just something I tune in and out of until they get back to topics that interest me more.

I agree with Darko's point that hearing a business treat customers badly will give you a sour taste about that business regardless of your own personal relationship with it. If they can treat customer x like that, what's going to stop them from doing the same to you?

B&B definitely blend the pop culture and sports talk perfectly for my taste.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:29 am 

I am what I am and thats all that i am= part of the Mac character for better or worse.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:31 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
It does come off as thin skinned. I'm just pointing out that I see people critisize Mac for this, yet these are the people that tend to really like B&B, when B&B basically tell their callers to fuck off as well.
You just love Mac and that's why you are hating on B&B.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:33 am 

I think it's also relevant to bring in the point about how he's treated Basketball and college Hoops. The way he's reacted to criticism about his Bball involvement is similar to how he's treating his callers that are tired of the pop culture and parody songs thing.
And this is my ciriticism. Mac... for the love of god, please participate in interviews more. Meat is just terrible with interviews. I mentioned it before but god I was embarassed for you guys during that Hossa interview.
Mac I like you a lot even though you bigtimed me last time I saw you (at your awesomebad anniversary! See? I was a fan!) but just don't do what that other certain Score guy did... cause you're kinda... headin... that way?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:38 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I'm guessing that the caller to M&H doesn't listen to the Mac show anymore...so, none of this really matters. :wink:

I don't think it's thin skinned.
"your band sucks!"
"don't listen then!"

I think PTFB is a MJH coined phrase anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:40 am 

Kopecky centered for the checking line of the Red Wings for some time... pretty interesting move. perhaps trying to catch lighting in a bottle and perhaps find yourself a good-enough 2nd line center so that you can permanently move sharp to the wing? pure speculation...

Sorry for being off topic, I'm treating this thread as the mac show thread for today...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:41 am 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
I'm guessing that the caller to M&H doesn't listen to the Mac show anymore...so, none of this really matters. :wink:

And I disagree with you. I DO listen and it left a bad taste in my mouth.
Goes back to what I said about an employee berating another customer in the store you're in. If you saw an employee berate another customer at your favorite guitar show would you think about finding another place to buy your parts?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:49 am 

Darkside wrote:
I DO listen and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

That ain't the show, pal...