It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm game
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
doug - evergreen park wrote:
sweet...well, at least 4 of us will be there next week. Might be able to get Grid to show up for 10 minutes at the end of the day too.

Yeah, but we won't realize Grid is there until 20 minutes after the show ends because he moves like a fucking ninja.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:50 pm 
1000 CLUB

1. Who was that other person you wanted to bring from ESPN 1000? Is it gonna happen?

2. Would you agree you have the most pull at the staion? Do B&B have more pull than they let on?

3. Why is Goff a regular sub on your show and not B&B? Why isn't Drinky in the mix on your show?

4. Sox contract is up at the SCORE, have you heard if you're gonna get them back or is that "Reinsdorf buying his own radio station" still possible? I would think a decision on that needs to happen soon.

5. Is North done in this town as far as local is radio concerned? What's the word about him from radio execs, has he totally ruined his repuation with his string of bad decisions, poor production and odd behavior or will he find another sucker?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Stinkfinger The Crow wrote:
Defend Fritzy...er Vandy's presence on a 50,000 watt blowtorch despite having only the radio qualifications of being your friend.

That's a good question and something I wanted to ask, but I'll go a little diffrent, Mac if you say Vandy works for the Score, how come he doesn't work other shifts besides yours or with somebody else besides you.

On the 03 Boston thing that was asked about earlier, they said on the show, that Harry was trying to knock Jurko's hat off and Jurko said Harry was touching my person and didn't like it, so Jurco said he went to his room. Also, Harry could have been overserved.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:41 pm 

What was it like meeting good dolphin for the first time?

There is a ton or Chicago radio talent sitting on the sidelines these days (Dahl, Brandmeier, Chet, North, Mancow, etc.). Why have these guys not pursued a career direction similar to Dan Patrick, where they have control of their situations. I would think these guys could sell a turn key show to several radio stations and make themselves a nice salary.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Xbox, Playstation or Wii?

Oh, and who's your favorite Eagle?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:45 pm 

lipidquadcab wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

you know the answer is Glenn Frey, so deal with it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
lipidquadcab wrote:

I would have thought he would say Bill Bergey

Mine was Harold Carmichael. :mrgreen:

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:48 pm 

Eaglo Jeff wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
lipidquadcab wrote:

I would have thought he would say Bill Bergey

Mine was Harold Carmichael. :mrgreen:

I was always partial to Randall Cunningham

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:50 pm 

Mac-
I don't know if we officially ever got the answer to "Why do they call it future mail".
When is "What's in the vending machine?" coming back or was that Harry's brainchild?

One segment back from HFC that I would like to see resurrected is "If I were". I rather enjoyed that one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
There is a ton or Chicago radio talent sitting on the sidelines these days (Dahl, Brandmeier, Chet, North, Mancow, etc.). Why have these guys not pursued a career direction similar to Dan Patrick, where they have control of their situations. I would think these guys could sell a turn key show to several radio stations and make themselves a nice salary.

I know you didn't ask me, but it's not easy to do what you suggest. Patrick had a national following when he left ESPN. These people you mentioned are just known in Chicago. They couldn't do what you suggest. You act like it's easy. If they had that chance, don't you think all of them would be doing it? There is a ton of talent from other cities, too, that would love to do the same. Every city has a Chet, North and Mancow sitting on the sidelines. Not every city has a Harry that seems to be untouchable. That's only unique to Chicago.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

Why does Harry have a lifetime job at ESPN 1000, Mac? Why is he untouchable? Especialy considering the fall off the horse and being drunk in the clubhouse, you'd think they could fire him with cause without worrying that the SOB will sue them. Why do they fear him?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:58 pm 

Beardown wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I know you didn't ask me, but it's not easy to do what you suggest. Patrick had a national following when he left ESPN. These people you mentioned are just known in Chicago. They couldn't do what you suggest. You act like it's easy. If they had that chance, don't you think all of them would be doing it? There is a ton of talent from other cities, too, that would love to do the same. Every city has a Chet, North and Mancow sitting on the sidelines. Not every city has a Harry that seems to be untouchable. That's only unique to Chicago.

With all the talent out there, it seems like it would be immenent that another Chicago sports station would pop up somewhere, maybe on the FM dial. Don't know much about the cost involved but with all these guys out there don't you think it could work? Maybe market it towards the old guys.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
good dolphin wrote:
There is a ton or Chicago radio talent sitting on the sidelines these days (Dahl, Brandmeier, Chet, North, Mancow, etc.)

I guess it depends on your definition of talent. Would a national audience be interested in North or Chet? A Chicago audience isn't even interested in them. And one Howard Stern is enough.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Sounds perfect for the web.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
good dolphin wrote:

Three of the five are anachronisms. Brandmeier and Coppock are professionals who could do any type of show you asked them to do. Dahl, Muller, and North are just bigmouths who hit the right audience at the right time and place.

Dahl is a guy who was right in my wheelhouse. I was exactly the right age when he came along. I've still got my Insane Coho Lips membership card. But he's become everything he hated. And everything I hated. He used to rail against the rich old guy and now he is the rich old guy. He has his following of people my age who are willing to take the journey with him or are on a similar life path. He'll probably be able to broadcast to them about catheters and bedpans when they're in their 80s. Me, I don't want to be constantly reminded that half my life is behind me. And that's how listening to Dahl's show or reading Dahl's column makes me feel. Shit, I'd rather be insulted by bernstein.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

Advertisors don't want "old guys" as a demo, Eaglo Jeff. So it couldnt work. They really want young drunks. Miller Lite and Bud Lite is the backbone of sports radio around the country.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:08 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Advertisors don't want "old guys" as a demo, Eaglo Jeff. So it couldnt work. They really want young drunks. Miller Lite and Bud Lite is the backbone of sports radio around the country.

Aren't there "Old Guys" drinking Miller and Bud Lite? or do they just drink Schlitz, PBR, Falstaff and Milwaukee's Best?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:10 pm 

Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Aren't there "Old Guys" drinking Miller and Bud Lite? or do they just drink Schlitz, PBR, Falstaff and Milwaukee's Best?

You're the radio guy. What's the demo that's most important to a sports station? Isn't it 25-50 or something like that? Having said that I don't think the age of the personality correlates with the age of the listener. I mean how many young guys get a kick out of Doug and OB?

Last edited by johnnyfontane on Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

No. People over 50 aren't drinking that shit. That's just one example. Sports radio also has a lot of "get out of debt", "strip club" and "sports bar" commercials. It's all about the young audience.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:13 pm 

johnnyfontane wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Beardown wrote:

You're the radio guy. What's the demo that's most important to a sports station? Isn't it 25-50 or something like that?

I'm not a radio guy. Do it for fun (and badly I might add). I haven't studied demographics and shit like that since college. I believe you're right though...male 25-50. I'm just saying that old people listen too, can't change the rules though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Beardown wrote:

A guy like Meatpants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:23 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Three of the five are anachronisms. Brandmeier and Coppock are professionals who could do any type of show you asked them to do. Dahl, Muller, and North are just bigmouths who hit the right audience at the right time and place.

Dahl is a guy who was right in my wheelhouse. I was exactly the right age when he came along. I've still got my Insane Coho Lips membership card. But he's become everything he hated. And everything I hated. He used to rail against the rich old guy and now he is the rich old guy. He has his following of people my age who are willing to take the journey with him or are on a similar life path. He'll probably be able to broadcast to them about catheters and bedpans when they're in their 80s. Me, I don't want to be constantly reminded that half my life is behind me. And that's how listening to Dahl's show or reading Dahl's column makes me feel. Shit, I'd rather be insulted by bernstein.

To you and everyone else who responded to me...remember that Garry Meier is working a prime shift at one of the more powerful signals in the region.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:27 pm 

johnnyfontane wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
There is a ton or Chicago radio talent sitting on the sidelines these days (Dahl, Brandmeier, Chet, North, Mancow, etc.)

I guess it depends on your definition of talent. Would a national audience be interested in North or Chet? A Chicago audience isn't even interested in them. And one Howard Stern is enough.

not necessarily national, but regional.

Put together a show, sell it to Chicago, Peoria/Bloomington, Springfield, etc. Maybe you can expand it to Milwaukee and St. Louis. At say 50K apiece that is starting to be good money. At the same time for a program director it is a pre packaged show with no other costs at a price lower than you would be paying your local talent.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:31 pm 

Beardown wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Every city does not have a Chet, North and Mancow and no it would not be easy. Maybe the answer is that radio does not attract entrepeneurs so no one wants to have to "eat only what they kill". However, you look at a guy like North and it would seem to be right up his alley.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
good dolphin wrote:
To you and everyone else who responded to me...remember that Garry Meier is working a prime shift at one of the more powerful signals in the region.

I consider Garry Meier a professional broadcaster too. He's not a guy that is living off a big personality and a personal connection to the listeners. Remember, he was once Matthew Meier with a phony radio voice.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:46 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Truer words were never spoken. It really is hard to believe that at one point Dahl was so good at what he did based on what he turned into after he and Garry split. Painfully unfunny radio while he grew more out of touch with just about everything that made him a must listen. he's just not good enough to carry a show by himself ( maybe he never was) and he certainly never found a decent co-host after the split, just a variety of syncophantic yes men who were scared shitless to do anything but agree with everything he said.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:49 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
johnnyfontane wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

not necessarily national, but regional.

Put together a show, sell it to Chicago, Peoria/Bloomington, Springfield, etc. Maybe you can expand it to Milwaukee and St. Louis. At say 50K apiece that is starting to be good money. At the same time for a program director it is a pre packaged show with no other costs at a price lower than you would be paying your local talent.

Dolphin to you really believe that former personalities who once commanded 7 figure salaries are going to work for 50k a year?? Theres no fucking way in hell that would happen. 50k is what Chet's bill for suspenders was at Bigsby's and Kruthers back in the day.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Every city does not have a Chet, North and Mancow and no it would not be easy. Maybe the answer is that radio does not attract entrepeneurs so no one wants to have to "eat only what they kill". However, you look at a guy like North and it would seem to be right up his alley.

Why would you not think that Philly, Boston and New York have long-time radio guys that can no longer find work cuz stations are going with younger and cheaper? It's just the way it is.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

Here's a good one Mac

Do you think Bernstein has ruined Chet's chances to work in this town again cuz he has constanly mentioned over the years that Chet left anti semitic messages on the voice mails of SCORE people. Let's face it, there are a lot of Jewish PDs and GMs in this town. Do you think that has anything to do with Chet not finding work?

When B&B want to ruin somebody in town, they go hard after them. They have probably played a role in Murph not getting hired again cuz they exposed his jack ass behavior to the public. They played a role in him getting fired from the SCORE as well, all though that was a long battle for them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Mac why is it that NO sports talk show will spend more than 2 mins talking about a big MMA fight that happened over the weekend, but every single show regurgitates the same tired boring shit every week about the Bears O line? Have you guys ever thought to change it up a little bit? I understand you do the fantasy football stuff and different things like talking Hockey :P and I dig that, but Jesus man if I turn on the radio for 10 mins in the morning and 10 mins in the afternoon I hear the same shit going on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next