It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm game
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:37 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Chris_in_joliet wrote:
Mac why is it that NO sports talk show will spend more than 2 mins talking about a big MMA fight that happened over the weekend, but every single show regurgitates the same tired boring shit every week about the Bears O line? Have you guys ever thought to change it up a little bit? I understand you do the fantasy football stuff and different things like talking Hockey :P and I dig that, but Jesus man if I turn on the radio for 10 mins in the morning and 10 mins in the afternoon I hear the same shit going on.

Excellent point! How many times can you hit your head with a hammer? Same shit over & over.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Chris_in_joliet wrote:
Mac why is it that NO sports talk show will spend more than 2 mins talking about a big MMA fight that happened over the weekend, but every single show regurgitates the same tired boring shit every week about the Bears O line? Have you guys ever thought to change it up a little bit? I understand you do the fantasy football stuff and different things like talking Hockey :P and I dig that, but Jesus man if I turn on the radio for 10 mins in the morning and 10 mins in the afternoon I hear the same shit going on.

Seems like only J. Hood was the only one to ever pull off a "boxing/wrestling/mma" show. That kind of show would only play nights though.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

Mac knows about the younger and cheaper game. ESPN did it to him. But unlike the others, Mac survived.

$650,000

$80,000 (just a guess)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Chris_in_joliet wrote:

Seems like only J. Hood was the only one to ever pull off a "boxing/wrestling/mma" show. That kind of show would only play nights though.

Im thinking the latest UFC PPV got 1.5 millon PPV buys at least. I would also say, guessing here, 7 out of 10 males that watch sports/listen to sports talk radio know who Brock Lesnar is/know what the UFC is. To not even give it 5 to 10 mins on the radio after a big PPV seems like your content running with the same old radio show.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Do you find it the least bit hypocrtical that on the same week you're whining about the drive in and people not coming into work because of the 2 days of high winds, that you take a day off in the same week?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:04 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Oh man...
I'm a hunter... how did I miss this earlier...????!!!!

mac wrote:
I'm game

Where's my shotgun!!?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:05 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Oh man...

mac wrote:
I'm game

Where's my shotgun!!?

What button # on the Replay 360?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:39 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
Chris_in_joliet wrote:
but Jesus man if I turn on the radio for 10 mins in the morning and 10 mins in the afternoon I hear the same shit going on.

Radio audiences turnover frequently, so to keep the fewest listeners from PTFB when they initially tune in, the content has be LCD. That is, say 10 different random dudes get into their Priuses.. or is it Prii? Prix? or Priapic?

Anyhow, these 10 individuals jump in their rides at some point during the day and at almost the exact same moment they turn on their AM radio and beginning scanning the frequencies. All 10 land on WSCR at almost the exact same moment and at that moment WSCR is talking about MMA. How many of those 10 listeners stay on WSCR's MMA chat and how many continue on to the next station?

OK, now all 10 listeners, your average Chicago sports fans, land on WSCR at the same time and this time they are talking about Da Bears. How many of those 10 listeners stay with WSCR's Bear talk and how many continue on to the next station?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:50 pm 

Than why ever talk about fantasy football, or music, or anything else in life beside Bears football for fear that one to ten people might change the station. In all honesty after a Bears loss I dont listen to sports talk radio because I know what the guys are going to say. If your going for that 10 min person your cutting your nose to spite your face. Your going after the guy that listens for ten mins and kind of ignoring the guy that takes the time out to listen to the show while he is at his office all day or a guy that listens on his hour long commute to work, or the guy that has your station on all day long while at a job site. I would say there might be close to as many of "those guys" than the 10 mins in and out of the car guys.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:52 pm 

Chris_in_joliet wrote:
Than why ever talk about fantasy football, or music, or anything else in life beside Bears football for fear that one to ten people might change the station. In all honesty after a Bears loss I dont listen to sports talk radio because I know what the guys are going to say. If your going for that 10 min person your cutting your nose to spite your face. Your going after the guy that listens for ten mins and kind of ignoring the guy that takes the time out to listen to the show while he is at his office all day or a guy that listens on his hour long commute to work, or the guy that has your station on all day long while at a job site. I would say there might be close to as many of "those guys" than the 10 mins in and out of the car guys.

For this show, I'm guessing that Mac and Spiegs aren't very big fans of the sport.
Spiegs also doesn't like Nascar. He has a shirt to prove it. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

Beardown wrote:
Mac knows about the younger and cheaper game. ESPN did it to him. But unlike the others, Mac survived.

$650,000

$80,000 (just a guess)

But at nowhere near that amount. He won't see that figure ever again. Too lazy to work hard and too arrogant to listen to anyone.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:13 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
Chris_in_joliet wrote:
Than why ever talk about fantasy football, or music, or anything else in life beside Bears football for fear that one to ten people might change the station.

I'd guess that more than 1 out of 10 people would PTFB or let the radio continue to scan if they landed on a hot and heavy MMA discussion. Whereas maybe 7 out of 10 folks stick around for the Bears/Fantasy Football/Music/Baseball talks, maybe only 3 out of 10 stay for MMA. If more than half your audience is likely to tune out whatever the topic is, you don't go there. I mean, just a few years back there was approaching zero Blackhawks talk on the radio, not enough of a fan base at the time. Now you get Blackhawks talk during almost every show on WSCR.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
The commonality that I see is, "teams" garner the callers interest. People are interested in the offence, defence, whether certain members of the team are bust-outs, whether the coaching staff has a thought, what are the draft prospects like for next year... And my favorite, whose subpar play is betraying the team dynamic?

Individual sport, like tennis, wrestling, mma, even to extent Nascar (assume the driver as the competitor and the pit team as functionaries) doesn't have any of that. The player IS the team. There's no betrayal of the rest of the team, no drafts, no coaches to speak of. None that participate in/near the actual game.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:06 pm 

A7X wrote:
..... does a tiny part of you die every time you hear a...... Gary from Evanston call in?

W'hi guys!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Mac stirring up the Indians.

Did Gloopan compliment him yet?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Ron Gleason wrote:
Your audience is changing every fifteen minutes.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:19 pm 

I wasnt really into sports talk radio when Tyson was king so I dont really know if they talked much boxing back in the day after a big Tyson PPV or not. I just think it is kinda crazy for a show that is on 20 hours a week cant find 10 mins to talk about something that millons of people watch. Nope lets just go back to Bears O line talk.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Chris_in_joliet wrote:
I wasnt really into sports talk radio when Tyson was king so I dont really know if they talked much boxing back in the day after a big Tyson PPV or not. I just think it is kinda crazy for a show that is on 20 hours a week cant find 10 mins to talk about something that millons of people watch. Nope lets just go back to Bears O line talk.

I don't know how much Tyson was talked back then, but Mac did say when Tyson was normal, he was bigger than Jordan.

On the UFC talk, it could be to some people like Nascar, they don't know much about it and it took awhile for it to become mainstream, so it could be coming, but not yet. I will say there is a national radio host on ESPN, who knows it is an up and coming sport and made the comment that it may be the 2nd biggest sport behind football.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:43 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Mac wrote:
Go ahead and open the next "Ask" thread. I enjoy doing them.

A few predictions:

1a) Why are you so abrasive?
1b) I liked you more when you were edgy. You gettin' soft?

2a) Don't you realize nobody gives a shit about your fucking Blackhawks?
2b) Love the hockey, but why not give a few minutes to Hawks opponents to educate the newbies?

3a) Why isn't Joe Bartosh the regular update voice?
3b) " " Kerry Sayers " " " "
3c) " " Dave Schuster" " " "
3d) " " The Ranger " " " "
3e) " " Connor McNight " " "

4a) Why can't you let go of the ESPN/Harry bullshit? Move on 'cuz you sound like a bitter prick.
4b) Did Jurko really almost punch out Harry in Boston in '03? Do tell.

5a) Can you please shove your '70s eight tracks up your aging, pathetic, hicktown ass?
5b) Did I burn one with you at the UFO show at the Amphitheatre in '78? Bonham or Moon?

THAT'S WHY THERE'S VANILLA..... AND THAT'S WHY THERE'S CHOCOLATE.

6A) Spiegel sucks. When are you going to get a good co-host like Jason Goff or Jurko?

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:00 am 
1000 CLUB

Mac the Hawks are not the same team from last year and many teams are improved in the Western conference from last year and the Hawks mounting injuries and the Cup hangover for one 'Kaner" and others has this team slow out of the gate and my question is can this team slip and not make the playoffs this year?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Mac,
Any regrets from your time up the dial at ESPN?
Are they that big control freaks like you hint and if so why do they keep signing Harry or his acts. I am not going after him for his radio work but for his other stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
McNeil,

Are you eagerly counting down the days till you can purchase a Nebraska mini-helmet to go along with the rest of the Big 10 collection that so stylishly adorns the ground in your basement??

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
But seriously, back to the original reason for the thread by Mac....

What happened to Dave Miska?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Mac,

Did you see The Other Guys? What did you think of it?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:49 pm 

shultzyy wrote:
Mac:

Why don't you believe in the 8-0 Spartans?

On behalf of you and Hawkeye Vince, I can take this one, Mac:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:08 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Oh man...

mac wrote:
I'm game

Where's my shotgun!!?

3 inch mags to knock down this big boy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:21 am 

reents wrote:
Chris_in_joliet wrote:

I don't know how much Tyson was talked back then, but Mac did say when Tyson was normal, he was bigger than Jordan.

On the UFC talk, it could be to some people like Nascar, they don't know much about it and it took awhile for it to become mainstream, so it could be coming, but not yet. I will say there is a national radio host on ESPN, who knows it is an up and coming sport and made the comment that it may be the 2nd biggest sport behind football.

I remember Burt Sugar being a frequent guest of both Chet and the HFC back in the day.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
And here we go...
11 guests.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
only 11?

edit.
21 now...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
So Mac shows up here & does a hit & run post with no intention of answering the questions that he already knows will be asked. Nice.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next