It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:10 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
Goff is in again today. Damn Spiegel, this radio gig is becoming a pain in the ass for you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
He should be out tomorrow as well considering it's the first Wednesday of the month.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:23 am 

I've been thinking this for a while, and it comes off as harsh, but now that I don't have to worry about Obama I can say it.

Matt Spiegel has a clear lack of desire to establish himself in the Chicago radio market. He flat out doesn't care. If I was still trying to establish myself in a market I wouldn't have my priorities on other stuff. He has a golden opportunity to establish himself here and be set for years. If it was me, I'd be on the air as much as possible and working my hardest to get the name recognition equal to some of the other hosts on the score.

I don't know what happened today, and it doesn't really matter much to me, but it's pretty clear that he doesn't view Chicago radio as his career. Maybe it's because he's a Boston fan. He'll look back and regret how he failed to become a player in Chicago sports radio.

If it was me, I'd be taking all my vacation time in the traditional radio "quiet periods" around the holidays and in February.

My advice to Spiegel would be to decide what you want to be before someone who is more motivated ends up leapfrogging you. For the record, I'm not talking about Jason Goff either. He's already on his way with or without you. It's someone else that's going to put the work in.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:25 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Snarky Hater is loving this....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:25 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I've been thinking this for a while, and it comes off as harsh, but now that I don't have to worry about Obama I can say it.

Matt Spiegel has a clear lack of desire to establish himself in the Chicago radio market. He flat out doesn't care. If I was still trying to establish myself in a market I wouldn't have my priorities on other stuff. He has a golden opportunity to establish himself here and be set for years. If it was me, I'd be on the air as much as possible and working my hardest to get the name recognition equal to some of the other hosts on the score.

I don't know what happened today, and it doesn't really matter much to me, but it's pretty clear that he doesn't view Chicago radio as his career. Maybe it's because he's a Boston fan. He'll look back and regret how he failed to become a player in Chicago sports radio.

If it was me, I'd be taking all my vacation time in the traditional radio "quiet periods" around the holidays and in February.

My advice to Spiegel would be to decide what you want to be before someone who is more motivated ends up leapfrogging you. For the record, I'm not talking about Jason Goff either. He's already on his way with or without you. It's someone else that's going to put the work in.

This seems like a good assessment BRick...Well said :thumleft:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:27 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

This is just pure jealously that you don't have a cover band of your own.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Maybe he could pretend that he's in a tribute band of a succesful caring Sports Talk Radio host?
Yeah. There's others I would like to see with mac first.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:32 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Is Matt Spiegel a Score employee, or does he work for Mac?

In the Dahl-Meier days, Garry was actually paid by Dahl, not the Loop.

And if his "boss" is OK with his schedule, then Spiegel should be too. Besides, he is on the Danny Mac Show. There aren't many people that are tuning in to hear him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:35 am 

Seacrest wrote:
Is Matt Spiegel a Score employee, or does he work for Mac?

In the Dahl-Meier days, Garry was actually paid by Dahl, not the Loop.

And if his "boss" is OK with his schedule, then Spiegel should be too. Besides, he is on the Danny Mac Show. There aren't many people that are tuning in to hear him.

I'm pretty sure your Hit and Run co-host is a Score employee.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
I'm convinced that Bucky Chris is in fact Chris in St. Charles. The name change was a clever ruse to throw us off the scent so he can call into radio shows and yell about nonsense.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: Petes
guys, meatpants isn't taking a day off for his band. He is dealing with some personal and family stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:39 am 

Seacrest wrote:
That's kind of the whole point though. If he's fine with just collecting a paycheck that's fine. He's just missing a golden oppourtunity to be more than that and make him less "expendable".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:40 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
sjboyd0137 wrote:

speaking of, wasn't hit-n-ralph some sort of a phenomenon in that it seemed like more often than not there was a fill-in host? i can't say i was a regular listener, but i swear when i'd occasionally pop over it always seemed like one or even both of them were absent from the show.

btw tributosaurus isn't a gig, it's a way of life. as dan bernstein once explained it, it's not like they're one band.... they're every band.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:41 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

speaking of, wasn't hit-n-ralph some sort of a phenomenon in that it seemed like more often than not there was a fill-in host? i can't say i was a regular listener, but i swear when i'd occasionally pop over it always seemed like one or even both of them were absent from the show.

btw tributosaurus isn't a gig, it's a way of life. as dan bernstein once explained it, it's not like they're one band.... they're every band.

I don't know. I think I heard all of about 20 minutes of Pop and Squat all season. I don't usually have the radio on when at home on weekends.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:44 am 
1000 CLUB

I'm kind of surprised Mac puts up with it. I always got the impression he holds his co-hosts to a fairly high standard. For all the shit Mac gets here about phoning it in, he's always struck me as a perfectionist.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
Who is the co-host, or is he just yakking with the producers?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:46 am 

Apologist wrote:

Sounds like yakking with Finji

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:48 am 
1000 CLUB

Apologist wrote:

Jason is en route, which is good because this is pretty bad.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:51 am 

i just popped the show on hoping to hear a little worldwide vincent van goff and i'm hearing mac and some other white guy going on about baseball and 26" HDTVs... is this a producer? vandy? oh snaps i just noticed that someone else said the same thing.... fuck.

if there isn't some sort of sarcastic "the goff is in the building" announcement this show isn't trying hard enough.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:53 am 

It sounds like Goff got a call to get in ASAP and Mac is doing his best to fill the void.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Northside_Dan wrote:
I'm convinced that Bucky Chris is in fact Chris in St. Charles. The name change was a clever ruse to throw us off the scent so he can call into radio shows and yell about nonsense.

:lol: What did I... errr, he say this time?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:56 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
the word is that his absence is family related.

KRAMER: Heyy, wasn't that a pie stand back there?

NEWMAN: (perks up) A pie stand? Where?

KRAMER: Oh yeah. Home-made pies, two hundred yards back.

NEWMAN: Aww, c'mon, pull over, pull over will ya.

Kramer pulls the truck into the roadside. As it halts, Newman sticks
his head out the window to peer back down the road.

NEWMAN: Where? I..I..I don't see it.

KRAMER: Well open the door, you get a better look.

Newman slides back the door and leans out.

NEWMAN: I don't see any pie...

Kramer plants his foot firmly in Newman's backside and heaves him out
of the truck.

NEWMAN: ...Aargh!

As Newman lands heavily in the verge, Kramer slides the door shut and
drives away.

NEWMAN: Kramer!!

KRAMER: I'm sorry Newman, you were holding us back.

NEWMAN: (after speeding truck) Kramer!!

In the mail truck, Kramer picks up his phone and redials.

KRAMER: (shouting) Jerry! We've lost the fat man, and we're running
lean. We're back on track, buddy!

Mac, do us all a favor and lose the fat man and start running lean with Goff on a permanent basis.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

1000 CLUB

For the love of God enough with the Les _____ puns. They're beyond fucking stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:57 am 

well i was close... mac said "king goff has entered the building." and then finji added "get the red carpet and rosepedals ready"

i'm thinking that the "the goff" phenomenon isn't going to fully catch on until 2021

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:58 am 

A7X wrote:
For the love of God enough with the Les _____ puns. They're beyond fucking stupid.

i once partook in a spirited round of mad libs with a guy named les puns... it was weird and unfunny.

(i'll get my hat and coat...)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:01 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Spiegel does a radio show with Les Listeners.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:06 am 

Spiegel's stage name is Les Original

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:08 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Spiegel did his best work with Mike Muted.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:18 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I can't tell you how great you guys sound right now. He had a death in his immediate family, and has had to take care of all the arrangements. He tried to go into work today and they sent him home.

But, I'm sure you all will have a fantastic time today kicking him around. Good stuff.