It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
Mac,
Thanks for the article. Kinda put into words, what I've felt for a long time. I would've assumed in this economic environment, you might have a groundswell of football fans that are looking to treat their kids to a live football game without paying $350 per ticket. I thought it was a good start when we got a few CSFMBers up for the NU vs. CMU game. The Big 10 brand should be a good draw and Northwestern's wide open fast-paced spread is exciting to watch. I hope it continues. Thanks again.

Your truly,
An extremely biased Cat's fan. ;)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/northwesternillinois/ct-spt-1119-mcneil-dan--20101118-5,0,4705410.story

Chicago should embrace college football
by Dan McNeil
9:29 p.m. CST, November 18, 2010

It's unfortunate Saturday is the only day this year when college football will be center ring in this "great" sports town. It irks me that Northwestern has to paint Wrigleyville purple to get anybody's attention.

I'm calling this town out on its tastes and myopia. College football offers the best game day experience in sports. Try it.

Many who normally don't sample will give it a shot Saturday. Most who catch Northwestern versus Illinois in person or on ESPNU won't know the Wildcats come in after a gritty upset of Iowa last Saturday at Ryan Field.

For the uninitiated, Ryan is an easily accessible, fan-friendly venue on Central Avenue in Evanston.

I suspect many who stumble upon them are unaware that Illinois — with a win — becomes bowl eligible. Or that Ron Zook's occasionally impressive squad took a step backward last week in a loss to Minnesota, one of the weakest teams in the Midwest.

Little has been said about the potential outcomes. Discussion drifted to the novelty of football at Wrigley, which hasn't played host to a football game in 40 years. Or how the field will be configured. Or that ESPN's "College GameDay" program will broadcast in the bustling neighborhood.

Fire up the ovens on Clark Street and make sure there are ample barrels of barley malt. One thing we all agree on: any excuse to dig into Palermo's old recipe pizza and hoist a glass.

Pro town, right? A Bears town. Even in years when the Bears are unappealing, like in the mid-1990s when Gary Barnett's Wildcats were more entertaining and more successful, this city thumbed its nose at the college game.

After consecutive New Year's Day assignments in '96 and '97, a mere 30,000 went to Solider Field to see NU whip Oklahoma in the Pigskin Classic in August 1997. Three years prior, only 39,000 hit the lakefront to watch Illinois play Washington State. Both schools were ranked.

A radio programmer once informed me my job was to reflect interest, not create it. That was reasonable advice, but I sometimes disregard directives.
Northwestern athletic director Jim Phillips' mission statement is to make NU "Chicago's Big Ten team." That's a tough putt. Northwestern's enrollment is a fraction of those at state schools, hence fewer alumni to beat the drums.

Maybe it's a fight that can't be won, but it's worth the old college try.

A date at Wrigley, as much as I resent the gimmick, is a nice starting point. If the Cubs can pack it with a bad product most summers, it's a safe bet both Northwestern and Illinois would garner more attention if they made regular stops on the North Side.

Northwestern also has the right man on the sidelines. The youthful enthusiasm, accessibility and early success of Pat Fitzgerald are viable marketing tools. Fitzgerald is a Chicago kid and one of the most accomplished players in Northwestern history. He strikes all who hear him speak as trustworthy, genuine and loyal.

Do we get that impression from those who front our pro teams? Do you feel those athletes who wear "Chicago" on their uniforms give a damn about this burg?

At least for a day, college athletes get the spotlight. I hope those who take it in will enjoy the sport as much as the party. Two terrific schools. Two solid coaches. A spirited rivalry.

I wish I could be there, but a scheduling glitch has me out of town. I'm going to catch the Notre Dame marching band as it plays Times Square at noon. The Fighting Irish are in New York to play Army at Yankee Stadium in the evening.

After the band's performance, I plan to duck into a Manhattan sports bar to watch all the big college games around the nation. I know what's good. And I don't need the facade of a landmark to realize how much enjoyment can be derived from great entertainment. That's what college football is.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
and thanks for disregarding directives just this once!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:04 pm 

NU should be ashamed of themselves. How long have they been planning this? A year or more? And now the Big 10 has ruled one end of the field unusable because of the wall issue. All offensive possessions will go toward the one end zone.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:12 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Uh...why wouldn't the Big Ten had known about that issue sooner?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
I understand the afety issues by I kind of puzzled by Mac's take on the whole thing. On one hand, he's applauding the decision and on the other he's saying what a great thing this Wrigley game is for the profile of college football in Chicago. I think it's turned into a major black eye and will likely be the last football game ever played there. There isn't going to be much demand for half-court football.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:23 pm 
100000 CLUB

The state should pay for Wrigley to be football safe.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:42 pm 

Does Mac even watch college football?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Pappy's Crappy wrote:
NU should be ashamed of themselves. How long have they been planning this? A year or more? And now the Big 10 has ruled one end of the field unusable because of the wall issue. All offensive possessions will go toward the one end zone.

The people who should be blamed are the Ricketts family and the folks who put the field together for Saturday's game between Northwestern & Illinois for the idiotic, uneven configuration! Yankee Stadium, which will host tomorrow's Notre Dame/Army game in prime time on NBC, may mean very little to the two teams, but the configuration looks a lot better than it appears for the NU/U of I game at Wrigley!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East.
SHARK wrote:
Pappy's Crappy wrote:

The people who should be blamed are the Ricketts family and the folks who put the field together for Saturday's game between Northwestern & Illinois for the idiotic, uneven configuration! Yankee Stadium, which will host tomorrow's Notre Dame/Army game in prime time on NBC, may mean very little to the two teams, but the configuration looks a lot better than it appears for the NU/U of I game at Wrigley!

Is there another configuration which would have worked better than the one chosen?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

:lol: Yeah, configure the game up in Evanston.

If this happened at the Cell, bigfan would have started 15 threads on it already.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:39 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

What's wrong with playing the game at Soldier Field? You know, football played at a football stadium!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
friday fung wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

What's wrong with playing the game at Soldier Field? You know, football played at a football stadium!

Have you seen the Soldier Field turf lately?? A "football stadium" where a football game can barely be played.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:47 pm 

koach klaus wrote:
Have you seen the Soldier Field turf lately?? A "football stadium" where a football game can barely be played.
Is it just me or does the turf seem to degenerate as the season goes on?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
koach klaus wrote:

Disintigrate is more like it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I'll likely try to make it out for a NU game every year. that was all kinds of fun...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:58 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
koach klaus wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
doug - evergreen park wrote:
I'll likely try to make it out for a NU game every year. that was all kinds of fun...

I haven't been to one in about 10 years, but I keep meaning to go again.