It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
good dolphin wrote:
The one time I went to a board event I introduced myself by my real name with the mention of the moniker in attempt to take away that awkwardness. I don't know if it worked but I did get some free beer.

so Elmhurst Steve hooked it up, huh?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
What I do care about is when a host decides to pick and choose his battles with the board and intentionally skew what we are saying. It seems like he really wants to believe that we are just jerks here and that none of the criticism is valid. I lost a lot of respect for him when he used Mac's sons trip to the emergency room as a reason to rip on us. I thought that was sad and pathetic. He just doesn't seem to understand that no one was aware that there was a death in the family and his girlfriend didn't have the decency to let us know that was the case and instead started yelling at us because we were saying bad things about her boyfriend. The negative reaction to meatpants has been a direct result of that. It seems like he has a desire to think that we are all just a bunch of meanies who make fun of people who miss work for family emergencies.

I stand by the fact that his tributosaurus gig seems to be his #1 priority(or at least tied with his radio show). That's his choice. I just wonder how long that can last.

Like I said, I have to rethink my position on then topic of meatpants posting after going back and looking at some of his initial statements (My initial poisition being what you quoted).

I agree, hiding behind mac's son to lash out at those who criticized him was pathetic. I never argued that nor defended those actions. I did question whether there might have been others outside of this message board who criticized his absence even after knowing about the death, but that was it. But even if there were, it would still be wrong to use mac's son like he did.

As far as his priorities go, as long as the ratings are there, I doubt his absences will effect his employment. But I'm not his boss, and I don't know the details of his contract. If he has enough vacation days to do what he's doing, then far be it for me to criticize someone for choosing when to use them. I don't recall him taking a lot of individual vacation days during the first year of the show, so perhaps he believes that he has enough of a report, or flight miles with mac that his absence wont be a detriment. Despite your theory, I'm not meatpants, so I don't know for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:21 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I think people keep missing the point on the vacation days thing.
I'm not sure why, but they do.

Listen, no one is blaming him for taking vacation days. He is entitled to vacation days. He can take them whenever his employer and he agree.

I think that the particular days he's taken is being used as circumstantial evidence to support a hypothesis that he isn't dedicated to the job he has at WSCR, since he is taking time away from his job at the station to support his job as a singer. And I think that's a fair question to ask. I've said it before, if I took days off for my band I know for a fact my employer would ask me which job I cared about more, because maybe I'd be taking days (such as the day before Thanksgiving, actually, which is traditionally one of my busiest days of the year for reasons which I'll explain if anyone gives a crap, which i doubt) that are poor days for the company to give me off, even though they're more or less legally obligated to give me as it's part of my employment contract.

It isn't much different from the flack Mac endured regarding his choice of a day off after a certain playoff game which I won't name for fear of a massive Mac Explosion. He was entitled to his time. Folks thought it was a poorly chosen day, and for a poor reason, and used it to question his dedication.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:26 pm 

Naturally, and I hope it goes without saying, I am NOT IN ANY WAY REFERRING TO HIS BEREAVEMENT LEAVE.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:30 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
The one time I went to a board event I introduced myself by my real name with the mention of the moniker in attempt to take away that awkwardness. I don't know if it worked but I did get some free beer.

It was taken, not given.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:41 pm 

The strong take from the weak.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
especially when they are floating in a 20 gallon plastic container....

I am pretty sure that most of the so-called ALS'ers were here before any host ever posted on this board as with a recognizable screenname.

It is possible to be friendly with others in various formats, or a few, or just one...or not at all.

Just because I respect people for what they have done, it doesn't necessarily mean I have to love what they are currently doing.

I have always worked for companies that have allowed (even when the economy was awesome) me to come in late or take a day off or work longer hours or a weekend to facilitate my artistic endeavors. It is not by accident...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

Maybe that's because you have something Meat the pantload doesn't have-talent at what you do.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders
Not to defend Matt,(here comes the defense) but perhaps all of his musical "time outs" aren't exclusive to Tributasaurus shows. It's quite possible that he's involved with some original project with some of the cats from that band (as they're all quality musicians) and he's still harboring a musical dream of "making" it in the music biz while still following a perhaps secondary dream, but a still legitimate dream, of pursuing a radio career.

Not excusing his lack of commitment to being behind the mic in one capacity, but maybe a legitimate musical career seems more desirable than being a sports talk show host from his perspective, and as long as the powers that be are allowing it, why wouldn't he do both and to hell with what jealous critics on a message board might think?

Everyone who plays music has some dream of mass appeal to their creative endeavors, and having a real cool second job while you chase the musical "pot 'o gold" is a pretty enviable situation, if you ask me... which you didn't...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:05 pm 

Oh man if he came on this board and said

"The thing is I have TWO side projects, another band. we do original stuff"

That would be GLORIOUS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I bet they could do a spot on Blues Traveler tribute show.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

That's a shame... I was starting to like the cat when I saw his look inspired a Halloween Costume - even though I've never seen a SURFER DUDE looking like this:

http://www.theatrehouse.com/mm5/merchan ... de=wig7080

The name's Rockmore. Beef Rockmore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:24 pm 

.....and there are still 2 guests lurking here. Here's to hoping Meat drinks enough today and starts posting.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:41 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
Irish Boy wrote:
I Is part of the sports business leaving a game before the fourth quarter starts? Is that part of established sports business protocol?

He probably wanted to hurry home to try to catch the Harvard-Yale game.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
NearWessSideHussra wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:
I Is part of the sports business leaving a game before the fourth quarter starts? Is that part of established sports business protocol?

I understand you guys enjoy giving him shit, but you understand he wasnt there to really cover "The game", he was there to talk about "The event". The guy bought a ticket and talked about what it was like in Wrigley.

Please give me the name of the other media person in this city that went to a bar, sat in the stands, talked to anyone else besides the medai creitns sitting next to them?

Mariotti used to get destroyed in this city for never going to a game, I think the guys who are not beat writers shouldn't even get press passes to write about observations. Come out of the press box where all the writers talk about what they are going to write about and grab a seat and get the feel of a game.

I would even venture to say Spiegel attends more sporting events in this city, than any other sports yakker?

You want to say the guy isn't int he studio enough, you don't like his 'Hmmmms', you don't like his voice, comments, remarks, etc, go for it, but I disagree on the guys willingness to attend events in this city to get a first hand feel.

And let me add, that 4th quarter was freezing cold and I left with 8 mins left, way too cold.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:47 pm 

On his payroll or on his nuts...that is the question.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
I thought he was okay when the show first started and I appreciated his baseball knowledge.
The more as time gowes by the more this guys thin skin is grating on me. If you do not like criticism maybe you should pick another line of work.If the band is more important then do that full time and go back to weekends and stop cock blocking guys who want to be full time hosts.You know when you taking days off is becoming a bad thing? When Terry Boers, who does not even come in for his own show everyday is ragging on you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:59 pm 

This just seems like a cush job for him that he kinda sorta cares about but not really. The one thing that I always remember when I hear Goff filling in for him is when Boozer signed or was about to and he was at the airport getting a few words from him at like 3 am when no one else was even there. Meat is completely complacent after 1 year and that is absurd.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:10 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
NearWessSideHussra wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:

Hey..I watched that game, & it was a great game.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:59 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
. The one thing that I always remember when I hear Goff filling in for him is when Boozer signed or was about to and he was at the airport getting a few words from him at like 3 am when no one else was even there. .

Another fine example that shows Spiegs isnt working hard enough?

Find something about his show that you don't like, because if you need to reach for something like this, you actually must really like the show itself, regardless of the lack of hours he invests in the show.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I think he should change his band to the "Meat Lick Society."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:15 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
I think he should change his band to the "Meat Lick Society."

There certainly seems too be a MLS though its only 2 or so members deep.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:20 pm 

chaspoppcap wrote:
I thought he was okay when the show first started and I appreciated his baseball knowledge.
The more as time gowes by the more this guys thin skin is grating on me. If you do not like criticism maybe you should pick another line of work.If the band is more important then do that full time and go back to weekends and stop cock blocking guys who want to be full time hosts.You know when you taking days off is becoming a bad thing? When Terry Boers, who does not even come in for his own show everyday is ragging on you.

This is a valid criticism.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:25 pm 

Mac had a few comments yesterday too about the absences.
And in my opinion, Mac is much better with Goff. He's just more... alive, I guess.
I would be willing to wager that Mac enjoyed himself with Goff moreso than his other buddy. Just an opinion of his tone yesterday.
But like I've been saying... it's still the Danny Mac show. I think that means something. I am guessing here that Mac ain't sold quite yet on Matt. Again, wild conjecture here. But that's the feel I get from the show.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:29 pm 

Darkside wrote:
And in my opinion, Mac is much better with Goff. He's just more... alive, I guess.
I would be willing to wager that Mac enjoyed himself with Goff moreso than his other buddy. Just an opinion of his tone yesterday.
But like I've been saying... it's still the Danny Mac show. I think that means something. I am guessing here that Mac ain't sold quite yet on Matt. Again, wild conjecture here. But that's the feel I get from the show.

Matt "Carson" Spiegel as in Johnny.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:29 pm 

bigfan wrote:
chaspoppcap wrote:

...and I completely agree with it. I don't need to restate it though. I was completely open to him at first and excited to hear him on hit and run. When he started blowing off hit and run on a consistent basis he started to lose me. I'm not saying he doesn't do research and prepare, because he seems to have an overall knowledge of what he speaks. I think it clearly comes through the airwaves that this is a job for him and not a passion. He talks about Chicago sports because he has to and not because he wants to.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:31 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
bigfan wrote:
chaspoppcap wrote:

...and I completely agree with it. I don't need to restate it though. I was completely open to him at first and excited to hear him on hit and run. When he started blowing off hit and run on a consistent basis he started to lose me. I'm not saying he doesn't do research and prepare, because he seems to have an overall knowledge of what he speaks. I think it clearly comes through the airwaves that this is a job for him and not a passion. He talks about Chicago sports because he has to and not because he wants to.

Now this I don't 100% agree with, but can accept.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Darkside wrote:

Mac can be a hit and miss though with his cohosts. I like Goff but before I go head over heels with love I need to hear more of him. Back to Mac, he feeds of the energy of his stable mates.That is why MJH worked because even though Harry sucks he provides energy and Mac thrives on that.Meat is not so much a bad host as just a bad fit with Mac.He is too laid back and does not take control when Mac lets him.Mac is a interesting host, in that he wants control but is more than happy to let his cohost steer the conversation to a point. That is what Mac so good. That is also the reason I hate Waddle and Chet.They need total control to the point of smothering interesting conversation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
spmack wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:

I don't care whether hosts post here or not. I actually prefer they don't, because a lot of posters tend to hold back on guys that post here.

I will agree with you there IB. I've always been against STU-Gotz and others saying that Mac posting on this board somehow breathes life here. Big Fan didn't make this place in the hopes that radio stiffs would post here. Now of course, Mac plugging the board back in the MJH days certainly brought a lot of attention, but it wouldn't bother me one bit if he (or Goff or Matt) stopped posting.

WYC spmack? If Silvy responded regularly you would have to cover you're keyboard with a condom. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:37 pm 

:lol: dang

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next