It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Makalu G wrote:
My point wasn't whether Keltner would improve the band, my point was the use of "greater" led me to believe you were a big fan on The White Stripes...

And my point is one may recognize the greatness of U2 or the White Stripes without being a big fan of the band(s).

Last edited by Rod on Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Makalu G wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

My point wasn't whether Keltner would improve the band, my point was the use of "greater" led me to believe you were a big fan on The White Stripes...

And my point is one may recognize the greatness of U2 or the White Stripes without being a big fan of the band(s).

"Greatness" is subjective. I don't personally think either of those bands are "great" in any sense, except for record sales and financially...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

Makalu G wrote:
"Greatness" is subjective.

To some degree, yes. But all opinions aren't equal. My favorite beer is Miller High Life. I wouldn't make the mistake of telling you it's the greatest.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

immessedup17 wrote:
I don't see them being greater in any sense than let's say...The Strokes or Interpol.

But I suspect Bagels does, which is why his opinion is better than yours on the subject.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:04 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
Makalu G wrote:
"Greatness" is subjective. I don't personally think either of those bands are "great" in any sense, except for record sales and financially...

This. I don't see how The White Stripes are better than any other psuedo-minimalist post-garage rock band...except that they participated in "the scene" more often and are more recognized for it. "Selling out" if you will. I don't see them being greater in any sense than let's say...The Strokes or Interpol.

Jack White writes songs in his sleep that are better than anything Interpol has ever come up with (lyrically). Jack White is an extremely gifted story teller. I'd say that's the biggest thing that sets the White Stripes apart from most other bands in that genre.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:16 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Makalu G wrote:
"Greatness" is subjective.

To some degree, yes. But all opinions aren't equal. My favorite beer is Miller High Life. I wouldn't make the mistake of telling you it's the greatest.

In a subject that has relative absolutes, all opinions aren't equal, but something like music or beer, they absolutely are. Miller High Life, being your favorite beer, is the greatest beer, as far as you're concerned, right?!?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:18 pm 

spanky wrote:

Jack White writes songs in his sleep that are better than anything Interpol has ever come up with (lyrically). Jack White is an extremely gifted story teller. I'd say that's the biggest thing that sets the White Stripes apart from most other bands in that genre.

Better to who? Whom?!?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

Makalu G wrote:
In a subject that has relative absolutes, all opinions aren't equal, but something like music or beer, they absolutely are. Miller High Life, being your favorite beer, is the greatest beer, as far as you're concerned, right?!?

Wrong. My knowledge of and experience with malt beverages is not nearly complete enough to make such a statement. I'm simply not sophisticated enough with regard to beer to be able to make such a judgment. My favoite and the greatest are not necessarily the same thing. IMU17's lack of sophistication with regard to rock and roll is what leads him to the incorrect conclusion that Interpol and the White Stripes are equivalent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
I never understood the Interpol love from a few years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:25 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Wrong. My knowledge of and experience with malt beverages is not nearly complete enough to make such a statement. I'm simply not sophisticated enough with regard to beer to be able to make such a judgment. My favoite and the greatest are not necessarily the same thing. IMU17's lack of sophistication with regard to rock and roll is what leads him to the incorrect conclusion that Interpol and the White Stripes are equivalent.

Taste is not mathematics. Because I'm in a band doesn't mean my opinion of The White Stripes is better than a fifteen year old kid's who loves them and who's never played a lick.

I think stouts are horrible, and if some German Brewmaster council deemed some stout "The Greatest Beer Ever", that doesn't make it universally so...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:30 pm 

I'm confused Makalu - we're not allowed to say what we like about the White Stripes/Jack White in this discussion without being discredited because it's simply our opinion?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:31 pm 

I would rather listen to all of the bands listed in this thread than read another page of this horseshit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:34 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
I would rather listen to all of the bands listed in this thread than read another page of this horseshit.

Horseshit according to who? You? :wink:

Are you sure you mean it? Lenny Kravitz was discussed at length in this thread. Are you a masochist?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:38 pm 

spanky wrote:
I'm confused Makalu - we're not allowed to say what we like about the White Stripes/Jack White in this discussion without being discredited because it's simply our opinion?

No. Not at all. Of course not.

I'm saying because you don't like something it doesn't mean it sucks...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

Makalu G wrote:
I think stouts are horrible, and if some German Brewmaster council deemed some stout "The Greatest Beer Ever", that doesn't make it universally so...

But surely you don't believe that your personal distaste for stouts precludes some of them from greatness, do you?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:43 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Bud Dude wrote:
Good in the 80's, not so much anymore.

Says the Bon Jovi fan.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

Makalu G wrote:

Right, but sometimes it does. See Joe Satriani.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:50 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

But surely you don't believe that your personal distaste for stouts precludes some of them from greatness, do you?

I think you get my point, but are being stubborn. :D

Of course not. I acknowledge that some people enjoy stouts and think they are great, but I don't think that automatically makes them great because some or even most people have that opinion. To me, it means those people believe stouts are great, not that stouts ARE great...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:52 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Makalu G wrote:

Right, but sometimes it does. See Joe Satriani.

Joe is a great example, because technically speaking, Joe is an amazing musician, but many people don't like that note heavy, instrumental style...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

Makalu G wrote:
I think you get my point, but are being stubborn. :D

Of course not. I acknowledge that some people enjoy stouts and think they are great, but I don't think that automatically makes them great because some or even most people have that opinion. To me, it means those people believe stouts are great, not that stouts ARE great...

I get your point but I don't believe you've really thought it through. I can tell that you're intelligent enough to be able to put your personal preferences aside when judging a subject of which you have great knowledge. It may not be rock and roll or beer though. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:18 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I get your point but I don't believe you've really thought it through.

I've certainly never been accused of over-thinking anything... EVER. :D

To me, universally accepted definitions of "greatness" aren't absolute. You'll never convince me that any Rap music is great... or even good, but there is an acknowledged standard out there of what is "great" in that genre. There is an accepted benchmark for that music that is considered great, but you won't convince me that it's even good.

I can acknowledge talent, popularity, success and the "according to Hoyle" measurement of "greatness" in a particular discipline, but that isn't the same as having it actually be great.

Maybe I'm arguing some dumb semantic position on the meaning of "greatness", but I think when it comes to a particular taste or preference, no one's opinion holds more significance than another.

Quote:
It may not be rock and roll or beer though. :wink:

:D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:06 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Does this have to just be a band or can it be a genre? I would love for this contemporary metal cock rock to please vacate the airwaves immediately. This means that if I turn on a supposed rock station I will not be hearing the likes of Nickelback, shinedown, seether, skillet, buckcherry or any of the 50 shitty bands that play that crap. This music should only be allowed to be played at truck stop strip clubs, tattoo parlors in the heart of rural florida and poser biker bars.

Thank you. You can also add Saving Abel as one of the worst offenders in this genre.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:07 pm 

Gary Miller wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
horseshit.

Hay hay?

:twisted:

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:01 am 

pizza_Place: Beggar's Pizza
Calexico
The Avett Brothers
Bob Schneider
Them Crooked Vultures
Andrew Bird

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Damn, reading this thread again...A LOT of people really don't like the Eagles...

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Not the biggest Satriani fan but Crystal Planet has some pretty solid tunes on it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6