It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
The ever infamous exchange when Hub asked a listener where he "Played his ball" and then the listener fired back and asked Hub the same thing?

Pretty sure Hub said he played at Michigan? Pretty sure he went to Michigan as well?

Luckily the U of M has compiled a database of over 11,000 players that have played there and I can't seem to find anyone with the last name of Arkush???

http://141.211.39.65/allroster/fbsearch.htm

I am sure there is a plausible explanation behind this, I will just wait to hear it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:57 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
was it played? i could swear it was "where'd you coach your football?" although my memory is fuzzy... i was fortunate enough to hear that live and my jaw dropped. i don't think i've ever heard it replayed or anything.

the more apropos question is "where'd you inherit your dad's football magazine?" cuz while i don't doubt that hub knows football, along with having a college education, pro football weekly was handed down to him and his brothers. i'd venture to guess that if he wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth it was at least a bronze spoon. i think that's the foundation of a considerable amount of his ego. hub's had "insider" connections for one way or another for longer than i've been alive (30 years): there's no stopping him.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:59 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
sinicalypse wrote:
.the more apropos question is "where'd you inherit your dad's football magazine?" cuz while i don't doubt that hub knows football, along with having a college education, pro football weekly was handed down to him and his brothers. i'd venture to guess that if he wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth it was at least a bronze spoon. i think that's the foundation of a considerable amount of his ego. hub's had "insider" connections for one way or another for longer than i've been alive (30 years): there's no stopping him.

I don't think Hub is a silver spoon, sini. He grew up at Howard and Clark.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:02 am 

I will defend Hub on the Publication. It has always been the top notch publication in the industry. He lost his foothold, when he was slow to go on the "net". He could have owned it like Profootball Talk or done something with Stats, Inc.

So while the information was great, the ability to grow killed them and now they are just hanging on.

Used to be the first guy with the fresh copy and stats every week as Hub shared some office space with my uncle. So I got copies right after the printer finished them. Will always give him credit for what he had.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:02 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:
.the more apropos question is "where'd you inherit your dad's football magazine?" cuz while i don't doubt that hub knows football, along with having a college education, pro football weekly was handed down to him and his brothers. i'd venture to guess that if he wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth it was at least a bronze spoon. i think that's the foundation of a considerable amount of his ego. hub's had "insider" connections for one way or another for longer than i've been alive (30 years): there's no stopping him.

Hub graduated from Deefield

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:06 am 
Site Admin

bigfan wrote:
Hub graduated from Deefield

Well, maybe his family moved up there before he finished school. I always thought Hub was a Sullivan guy. Anyway, I wouldn't call Hub a spoiled rich kid by any means. And I'm pretty sure Pro Football Weekly went through bankruptcy in '84 or '85.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:07 am 

well i should clarify... i didn't mean to say that hub is RICH like "fuck you i have money..." the silver/bronze spoon was in reference to his father running a football magazine so he had connections in the football world and he started off from a position where he was already "inside" the industry as opposed to having to break his way in from the outside.

i don't mean to take anything away from hub, insomuchas i can tell that he's an educated man who has put in work to get to where he is right now... he's not coming in with nort's willy nillys... i just think he had a head start on the game, which helped breed his ego, and now that he's in control of the PFW empire and he's already worked for the beloved's radio flagship and does a syndicated national radio show along with sideline work for westwood one games, there's no stopping that ego. hub doesn't think he knows more about football than you, he KNOWS he does.

this isn't to say that he technically doesn't know more than you, he just has a rather prickish way of letting you know that sometimes =D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:09 am 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
I'm sure that if he ever played at Michigan, it would be brought up a hell of a lot... So I'm sure he didn't say that... but he does take every opportunity to mention that he's a Michigan alum...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:13 am 
Site Admin

crosscheck wrote:
I'm sure that if he ever played at Michigan, it would be brought up a hell of a lot... So I'm sure he didn't say that... but he does take every opportunity to mention that he's a Michigan alum...

The funny thing about that is a Michigan degree might carry some cachet for the average guy. In a Jewish family it just means you weren't smart enough to get into the Ivies.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:53 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
bigfan wrote:
The ever infamous exchange when Hub asked a listener where he "Played his ball" and then the listener fired back and asked Hub the same thing?

Pretty sure Hub said he played at Michigan? Pretty sure he went to Michigan as well?

Luckily the U of M has compiled a database of over 11,000 players that have played there and I can't seem to find anyone with the last name of Arkush???

http://141.211.39.65/allroster/fbsearch.htm

I am sure there is a plausible explanation behind this, I will just wait to hear it.

Hub never said that he played ball at Michigan.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:08 am 

Pretty sure Hub said he played Ball....thus the origin of the quote

It wasn't "Where did you coach your ball", I think this much they probably have on a drop in.

It was "where did you play your ball?" Hub smuggly asked a listener....and the listener repsonded to Hub with the same question.

The only question is how Hub answered it.

Let me also add, most guys that didnt play at a high level never ever say "Where did you play" as an attempt to discredit the caller/listener etc, because it is inevitable that the same question will be asked of them.

I am pretty sure Hub claims he played at some level above High School

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:14 am 

you know what, maybe it was a combination... maybe he asked "where did you play your ball? ....where did you coach?"

if i'm not mistaken the caller claimed to be a high school coach or something, which led to the lambasting. i seem to remember b&b picking up on the hub exchange and coining the term "coaching credentials" because of it. so maybe we're both right? maybe hub was hitting to all fields that afternoon?

or maybe, aha, it was that hub asked where the guy played his football, and then the guy said he coaches, and then hub was "where did you coach? huh? where did you coach your ball?"

regardless, i'm in the 90 percentile of certainty that one of hub's blowups led to the term "coaching credentials"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:22 am 

Hub was just defending his close personal friend, DICK JAURON! Jauron is a great guy. He was a member of Royal Melbourne Country Club in Long Grove & I played in a couple of Golf tournaments with him. He is a heck of a nice guy...but a lousy head coach.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:07 am 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
I believe he said he was a backup punter at a division two or three school.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:43 am 
Site Admin

bigfan wrote:
Let me also add, most guys that didnt play at a high level never ever say "Where did you play" as an attempt to discredit the caller/listener etc, because it is inevitable that the same question will be asked of them.

True. And most guys that did play at a high level don't say it, simply because they don't have to. But it was funny when Mike North forced Isiah Thomas to ask him where he played by attempting to have a conversation with Isiah as if they were equals on the court. Truman College!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:24 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

Thats my block

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:43 am 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Scorehead wrote:
Hub was just defending his close personal friend, DICK JAURON! Jauron is a great guy. He was a member of Royal Melbourne Country Club in Long Grove & I played in a couple of Golf tournaments with him. He is a heck of a nice guy...but a lousy head coach.

This makes sense. The caller was probably disagreeing with Jauron and calling him an idiot. So Hub likely made the point to suggest the caller wasn't smarter than Dick.

Still a really stupid comment, though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:44 am 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
Hub originally wanted to play football.....He matriculated at the S.I.U. Saluki.....When he realized he was no damned good and was going to be maimed...he did the smart thing and transferred to Michigan where he graduated...He sure as hell did not walk on at Michigan, though if he were in school today, he would be welcomed with open arms if he could tackle someone. :lol:

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:49 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Aggravated Sox Fan Bob wrote:
He sure as hell did not walk on at Michigan, though if he were in school today, he would be welcomed with open arms if he could tackle someone. :lol:

:lol: This was the image that immediately came to mind when I thought of Hub tackling someone.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:50 am 

So, in summary I AM CORRECT!

The quote of "Where did you play your ball" is part of Score venacular and it came from this conversation Hub had in an attempt to discredit a caller, trying to protect Jauron, on a show that was not Jaurons show, but he was on that show.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:58 am 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
Hub can replace Dick Rod in Ann Arbor!!! :lol:

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:39 am 

Aggravated Sox Fan Bob wrote:
Hub originally wanted to play football.....He matriculated at the S.I.U. Saluki.....When he realized he was no damned good and was going to be maimed...he did the smart thing and transferred to Michigan where he graduated...He sure as hell did not walk on at Michigan, though if he were in school today, he would be welcomed with open arms if he could tackle someone. :lol:

Bob is correct. Hub started school somewhere else (I thought it was somewhere smaller than SIU) and rode the bench for a year or two before transferring to Michigan. I think he attempted to obscure the two facts in the past before that famous call by saying he played college football and by saying he went to Michigan but never outright lying and saying he played football at Michigan.

Wherever he played had to be a sad program letting on a guy who is a midget by reporter's standards.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:43 am 

pizza_Place: Another Round
And this is what I have always hated about Hub. He is delusional about what he is. He ran a football magazine and was given a postion in the broadcast media. Because of this, I have always perceived that Hub actually thinks he coached or played in the NFL. It is really disturbing.

The following can indicate a delusion:[5]

1.The patient expresses an idea or belief with unusual persistence or force.
2.That idea appears to exert an undue influence on his or her life, and the way of life is often altered to an inexplicable extent.
3.Despite his/her profound conviction, there is often a quality of secretiveness or suspicion when the patient is questioned about it.
4.The individual tends to be humorless and oversensitive, especially about the belief.
5.There is a quality of centrality: no matter how unlikely it is that these strange things are happening to him, the patient accepts them relatively unquestioningly.
6.An attempt to contradict the belief is likely to arouse an inappropriately strong emotional reaction, often with irritability and hostility.
7.The belief is, at the least, unlikely, and out of keeping with the patient's social, cultural and religious background.
8.The patient is emotionally over-invested in the idea and it overwhelms other elements of his or her psyche.
9.The delusion, if acted out, often leads to behaviors which are abnormal and/or out of character, although perhaps understandable in the light of the delusional beliefs.
10.Individuals who know the patient will observe that his or her belief and behavior are uncharacteristic and alien.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Dolphin finds himself in the unusual position of being correct. Hub played football for one year at SIU before transferring to Michigan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:40 pm 

bigfan wrote:

The quote of "Where did you play your ball" is part of Score venacular and it came from this conversation Hub had in an attempt to discredit a caller, trying to protect Jauron, on a show that was not Jaurons show, but he was on that show.

Hub never said he played ball at Michigan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:50 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
bigfan wrote:

Hub never said he played ball at Michigan.

You are correct as well.