It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Can I not like his Fort Knox joke or that he calls into 3 different shows with the same thought?

My feelings for him aside...I do most of the decision making for hiring for home improvement stuff around the house. I always check the websites and probably would not hire him based on that.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Sausage
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
It depends on whether the surface to be painted is interior or exterior. I'll assume it's a garage floor or exterior patio. The key is prep. You MUST make sure grease/oil are removed from the cement Oil Dri or kitty litter can be used to remove these kinds of problem stains from the surface. then you should scrub the surface with TSP (Tri sodium Phosphate)and a good scrub brush . Then you need to allow the cement to fully dry (at LEAST 3 days) before you apply a sealer to the cement. Then a cement primer (Dry Lock) can be applied prior to the finish product. Epoxy products are outstanding, but only if all the steps taken before the epoxy is applied are taken. Most people experience peeling and other problems as a reult of painting over a surface that was never sealed or was not allowed to dry properly, prior to the paint being applied. Good luck with your project.

What type of sealer are you referring to, Steve? Doesn't epoxy only bond well with certain coatings? My understanding is the solvents within epoxy based paints will cause pealing if the applied "sealer or paint" that already exists can't withstand epoxy solvents?

Also, i heard the only reason to use tri-sodium phosphate was to neutralize acids that would be used to wash the surface prior. Is that true? If so,why didn't you recommend acid-washing first?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Steve has told us multiple times on here that he was handed his business by his father, who had gotten it from his father. I'll go back to ignoring your posts. Sorry for giving you another chance. I knew it would come back to bite me.

Um...No. What I said was that I grew up working for my Grandfather and my father and continued to do so until I graduated from College. I majored in Law Enforcement Administration and worked as a police officer for 2 1/2 years while working my off days ( we worked 10 hour shifts 4 days a week, giving me 3 days off each week) with my dad. When my Dad suffered a heart attack and needed my help, I resigned from the police force. Thats a far cry from being "handed" a business. But then the actual facts dont support your position as well, so changing them to better suit you makes perfect sense.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:35 pm 

bosco wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
It depends on whether the surface to be painted is interior or exterior. I'll assume it's a garage floor or exterior patio. The key is prep. You MUST make sure grease/oil are removed from the cement Oil Dri or kitty litter can be used to remove these kinds of problem stains from the surface. then you should scrub the surface with TSP (Tri sodium Phosphate)and a good scrub brush . Then you need to allow the cement to fully dry (at LEAST 3 days) before you apply a sealer to the cement. Then a cement primer (Dry Lock) can be applied prior to the finish product. Epoxy products are outstanding, but only if all the steps taken before the epoxy is applied are taken. Most people experience peeling and other problems as a reult of painting over a surface that was never sealed or was not allowed to dry properly, prior to the paint being applied. Good luck with your project.

What type of sealer are you referring to, Steve? Doesn't epoxy only bond well with certain coatings? My understanding is the solvents within epoxy based paints will cause pealing if the applied "sealer or paint" that already exists can't withstand epoxy solvents?

Also, i heard the only reason to use tri-sodium phosphate was to neutralize acids that would be used to wash the surface prior. Is that true? If so,why didn't you recommend acid-washing first?

I'm referring to a concrete sealer-available at any paint store/home center. It seals moisture out so that the moisture coming up from the ground underneath will not rise up and cause problems (peeling) with the paint applied. Epoxy will adhere very well to surfaces that are clean, sealed and primed. but NOT to surfaces previously painted that are peeling, surfaces that have grease/oil on them...etc The TSP is to be used primarily in the spots where grease/oil was located and the kitty litter/oil Dri was used. Acid washing is not a bad suggestion....for the professional. but the average homeowner is NOT going to want to get involved in acid washing. The advice I gave involves all the steps needed to get a great result without acid washing.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:50 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
lamar hoyt's burrito wrote:
This is what most of the hosts say if you really listen. How many callers have something that is ground breaking? If you don't like ES for his "racist joke" cool but to hate on him for his calls that most guys say is not that strong.

How about when he calls in to every existing radio show to repeat the same mundane point (except B&B of course, as they don't have the proper respect for the brand)? How about the fact that he truly believes he has attained Chicago icon status, based on the fact that he calls in to every single radio show to bestow his insightful thoughts? Can I dislike him for that? Am I allowed?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:14 am 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Um...No. What I said was that I grew up working for my Grandfather and my father and continued to do so until I graduated from College. I majored in Law Enforcement Administration and worked as a police officer for 2 1/2 years while working my off days ( we worked 10 hour shifts 4 days a week, giving me 3 days off each week) with my dad. When my Dad suffered a heart attack and needed my help, I resigned from the police force. Thats a far cry from being "handed" a business. But then the actual facts dont support your position as well, so changing them to better suit you makes perfect sense.
My post was factual. There is no shame in being handed a business. It happens all the time. It still doesn't change the fact that you were simply given the business by your father.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:36 am 

Mac,

HOCKEY SOCKS ARE AWESOME :D

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Why the hell would he tell you of all people that Q. Get a fucking life

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I have a concrete exterior patio but its already been painted by someone who didn't know what the hell they were doing. I think I am just going to tear the whole thing out and put in some nice pavers.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Time Magazine wrote:
Housepainting is a good way to learn the feel of a brush, the mixture of colors. It also gives one plenty of time to think.

Housepainter Adolf Hitler thought up Naziism.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:56 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Time Magazine wrote:
Housepainting is a good way to learn the feel of a brush, the mixture of colors. It also gives one plenty of time to think.

Housepainter Adolf Hitler thought up Naziism.
You would think with all that time to think that Steve's calls would be better.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Anyone complaining volunteered that info for public consumption most likely so I wouldnt take their complaints too seriously

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
I have a concrete exterior patio but its already been painted by someone who didn't know what the hell they were doing. I think I am just going to tear the whole thing out and put in some nice pavers.

Just put pavers on top of it.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon

If you tear the patio up, don't be suprised to find a hardwood floor underneath. If HGTV has taught me anything, it's this. Long ago, all manmade surfaces, and some occurring in nature, were nice hardwood floors. Then one day, all of the nice hardwood floors were covered with other, less attractive surfaces, and forgotten about. No one knows why, but it is beleived that it was to preserve the lustruous hardwood floors for a special occasion, like a wedding or the Rapture.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders
Telegram Sam wrote:

If you tear the patio up, don't be suprised to find a hardwood floor underneath. If HGTV has taught me anything, it's this. Long ago, all manmade surfaces, and some occurring in nature, were nice hardwood floors. Then one day, all of the nice hardwood floors were covered with other, less attractive surfaces, and forgotten about. No one knows why, but it is beleived that it was to preserve the lustruous hardwood floors for a special occasion, like a wedding or the Rapture.

This is true. I was on the Stevenson Expressway this morning and some segments had been de-asphalted and damned if there wasn't a really nice hardwood floor underneath...

:D

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:14 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:

Its not really a patio as much as it is my back yard. I live in an old part of town where the gigantic lots of 150 years ago were chopped up i to smaller lots. Its really just like a giant sidewalk/back yard. It looks like shit and I can't really put the pavers down over the top of it because it wouldn't match the grade of the yard and It also connects to the garage and would not match. It won't be that hard to do as I have of those giant chainsaw looking concrete saws and a hammer drill. Finding somewhere to go with the concrete though will be a task.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:23 pm 

Killer V wrote:
lamar hoyt's burrito wrote:
This is what most of the hosts say if you really listen. How many callers have something that is ground breaking? If you don't like ES for his "racist joke" cool but to hate on him for his calls that most guys say is not that strong.

How about when he calls in to every existing radio show to repeat the same mundane point (except B&B of course, as they don't have the proper respect for the brand)? How about the fact that he truly believes he has attained Chicago icon status, based on the fact that he calls in to every single radio show to bestow his insightful thoughts? Can I dislike him for that? Am I allowed?

You can do what you like, my point is the "mob mentality" that goes on here really is weak! Some of us jump on because everybody else does! If ES calls in to a talk show that encourages callers what is the problem? If we have a better point pick up the phone & make it! It is easy to come to a message board and think your point through than have to rush your point in 15-30 seconds on the phone & with that being said the amount of stupid posts here are shocking.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Telegram Sam wrote:

Its not really a patio as much as it is my back yard. I live in an old part of town where the gigantic lots of 150 years ago were chopped up i to smaller lots. Its really just like a giant sidewalk/back yard. It looks like shit and I can't really put the pavers down over the top of it because it wouldn't match the grade of the yard and It also connects to the garage and would not match. It won't be that hard to do as I have of those giant chainsaw looking concrete saws and a hammer drill. Finding somewhere to go with the concrete though will be a task.

Dump it anywhere in Indiana.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:51 pm 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:

I think the Ohio River could use some bank reinforcement.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
you'll probably have to call someone to haul the concrete away.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:31 pm 

Just fill your garbage cans and let the garbage men haul it away. They wont mind.

the victory cry of low achievers

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:

I think the Ohio River could use some bank reinforcement.

Chop it to small bits and market it as some sort of significant relic. Cart it all to West Virginia. Those mouthbreathing morons will buy anything.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:20 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:

Hell, just get a good sledgehammer and order up a small dumpster. Breaking it up really isn't tough at all. the disposal is the bigger issue. But ordering up a dumpster that can be set down is relative proximity to the cement to be disposed of would seem the easiest way to approach it. I suggest getting a good fiberglass handle on the sledge, so it's not as prone to breaking the handle should you strike cement with the handle accidently. You should be able to do it easily over a weekend.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:45 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Mac

As far as Elmhurst Steve goes, the reason he gets shit all over here is two-fold in my opinion. Part one is that whenever he shows up in the baseball section, he is either baiting the Sox fans on the board into the mindless, age old argument of Cubs vs Sox, or he is coming in on page 4 of a baseball discussion restating multiple opinions that have been made earlier in said thread, which he proceeds to call in to your show, Silverman's, or TAS (he hates B&B because they disrespected his established "Brand"). His opinions on race came out one day, and after he had been painted as the Grand Wizard of the KKK, he backed off and said some nonsense about a steak dinner. As a caller, hearing his name on the radio is on par with Tony from Matteson and Maddux Boy; cringe worthy, and time to go get something to drink.

It's fine that he's a good painter, but to be honest, I would never personally hire him after being shown his website. It had multiple spelling errors and a lot of poor grammar, which to me, speaks to the character of the business owner. But that's coming from someone in their 30's, who relies on technology to do my research.

The fact that I did not set up the website and considered it a waste of time is the reason for the spelling errors. Had I set it up myself, I'm pretty sure the word estimate would have been spelled properly. But I had it set up at the behest of my wife. She is a business executive, who believed it was a good idea to establish the website. I do not visit it and remain convinced that it was a waste of time. The best advertising is word of mouth. My customers give my name to their friends, neighbors and relatives. They know the quality of my work before I ever go to their home for an estimate. That matters a lot more than a website.

As far as the quality of my calls ...I think Dan can judge that for himself. He's certainly heard plenty of them. I do believe that your personal thoughts/opinions concerning me, has a lot to do with your critique of my calls. I did bring a lot of the crap I get here upon myself. But that isn't something I didn't anticipate. I enjoy rattling your cage and getting under the skin of many others. It amuses me. But it has nothing to do with what I do on the radio with Dan or the Afternoon Saloon (who I listen to rather than B&B-because they suck) at all. This is a seperate entity and where the radio world is concerned...not very important.

ha, ha...he thinks he's part of the show.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:53 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Dude, there's an Elmhurst Steve Wing, not just a bust, at the Chicago Sports Talk Radio Caller Hall of Fame. Stop hatin!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:02 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Franky T wrote:

I'm certain the same can be said for Maddux Boy and Ten Foot Midget and probably Roy Oswalt's Bulldozer.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:26 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Franky T wrote:

I'm certain the same can be said for Maddux Boy and Ten Foot Midget and probably Roy Oswalt's Bulldozer.

Bongwater Chad

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:34 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Ah yes, Roy Oswalts Bulldozer......bad. Bad 'wannabe clever' name, bad thoughts and always lame attempts at trying to get Bernsie to laugh at the beginning of a call.

Good ole' Roy isn't talked about all that much on here in the context of awful callers/email senders....I think it's time he gets officially added, maybe it will be a shot across the boy to his shit ass ship.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:36 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Yep. In the parlance of the B&b show, Roy Oswalt's Bulldozer...bad.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:47 am 

Being a "good" caller is kind of like being a "good" rec league player. Yes, you've got a little bit of talent and can do well at times but in reality you are just an amateur who would not be good enough to make a living off of it or you would be. Some of these guys obviously spend over an hour a day on this stuff with the process of coming up with content, sitting on hold, making the call, and then reading this board to read the reviews.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next