It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:14 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
PaPaea wrote:
Gee whiz, fellas! Spiegel fronts a cover band that considers themselves more than a cover band, so what?! And they have a fan who likes to write over the top articles about said band, so what?!

The guy has an endorsement deal for some energy company, he's getting (got?) married, he has a beloved TRIBUTE band, he sings jingles on TV, he has worked his name into the radio show he co-hosts. Seems to me that most here are nothing less than jealous. And that's fine, just be honest about.

I cannot fathom how anyone enjoys what this fool says on the radio, or how anyone would pay anything more than a cover (pun intended) charge to hear him sing....but hey, he's doing it. For whatever reason this guy ended up in Chicago - left and the came back - and is succeeding. I don't get how or why, but he is. So hate all you want, but the guy is obviously living his dream right now - showing up to his paying gig as he sees fit, playing his dream gig as much as possible, and using the former to promote the latter-all while getting face time on TV and hammering paychecks from multiple places. Good for him. He's fooling somebody (quite a bit)!

Hi Matt, good to see you.
No one is jealous. I am coming around a bit on Meat on the radio actually. I like his weekend show when he does it. I'm becoming less of a fan of his partner and more of a fan of him as I listen more and more. He still does things on the radio that make me cringe, the fake laughs of Meat is one thing that drives me a little crazy for example.
I don't care about which job he cares about more. Not my concern.
As an aspiring musician I take a bit of offense to the way his band takes shots at cover bands and tries to claim to be something more than "just" a cover band, which, in my opinion they are simply not.
I've heard plenty of their music. I don't see anything that gives them an edge over other cover bands. I've been to see them live and enjoyed them, but once again I say they sure are not "becoming" the Beatles or the Stones. They're covering them.
I'm glad you've found something you're good at and you're successful at and I wish you the best of luck matt, but remember a little humility and it might help gain fans. THis is just my opinion.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:15 am 

PaPaea wrote:
The guy has an endorsement deal for some energy company, he's getting (got?) married, he has a beloved TRIBUTE band, he sings jingles on TV, he has worked his name into the radio show he co-hosts. Seems to me that most here are nothing less than jealous. And that's fine, just be honest about.
I am not jealous. Sports radio host and cover band singer were never goals of mine. It's just funny to laugh at the fact that he has a band that puts down other cover bands and has the audacity to say that they don't cover Michael Jackson but actually become him.

I don't root against Spiegel but when you've got a band as arrogant as his then you deserve to be made fun of.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:17 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
so bascially 8 shows for $225 = $28.13 each.

not a bargain.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
PaPaea wrote:
I hear you on that, I do. I don't understand how he gets away with what he does, and to top it off when I do tune in all I do is hear him mocking the amount of time he takes off by talking about his iron man streak! Vaddacountry! Like I said, he obviously has somebody fooled, and good for him. I didn't think there would be any way he'd still be around, let alone get his name on the marquee, but he's done it. Unless McNeil has way more pull than I think, someone in some focus group must be hitting "really enjoy" when they get to the Spiegel section of their questionairre!

I don't really see it as, "getting away with it". I see it as he (or his agent) has negotiated his contract a certain way to allow him these days off. He also does Hit and Run on Sunday Mornings, and he's been there a lot more this year than last (I can only think of a couple of instances this year when he wasn't, and one was for a voice issue he was having). In theory, a week like this where he will be off tomorrow because of the Tributo show tonight, he's still there as many hours as Mac his because of Hit and Run. At this point, the mocking Spieg's day off thing is just a meme, much like the Iron Man Streak (copyright ME) has become a show thing for them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:20 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Good points, and I'm surely not that hefty dude! I'm married to a dietitian, so I'd have a pretty tough home life if I maintained his current fighting weight/food intake schedule!

I don't care for either his radio work (the fake laughs are the worst, along with the constant need to jump in with a horrid pun just to beat and/or amuse McNeil) or his cover-tribute band stuff. His voice is annoying to me, and unfortunately his singing voice isn't too much different from his schmaltzy radio guy voice.

It just comes across as jealousy to me, is all. But I get your points. I'm sure any struggling musician, who happens to be a sports fan, would have a hard time not being jealous of what this fool is pulling off. You may not want to call it jealousy, but he's setup a pretty sweet gig for himself. Again, I don't buy into it and really don't have much of an idea of who enjoys consuming his remedial sports thoughts and cover band passion-but it is what it is. Much like the guy who often takes the mic at 6pm, I simply shake my head. As a consumer of sports talk, it certainly seems like there are better options!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:21 am 
1000 CLUB

sjboyd0137 wrote:
At this point, the mocking Spieg's day off thing is just a meme, much like the Iron Man Streak (copyright ME) has become a show thing for them.

Mac referred to it as "The Boyd Streak" yesterday...not sure if you heard that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:22 am 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
At this point, the mocking Spieg's day off thing is just a meme, much like the Iron Man Streak (copyright ME) has become a show thing for them.

Mac referred to it as "The Boyd Streak" yesterday...not sure if you heard that.

Seriously? I was in and out of meetings all morning.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:23 am 

PaPaea wrote:
It just comes across as jealousy to me, is all. But I get your points. I'm sure any struggling musician, who happens to be a sports fan, would have a hard time not being jealous of what this fool is pulling off. You may not want to call it jealousy, but he's setup a pretty sweet gig for himself. Again, I don't buy into it and really don't have much of an idea of who enjoys consuming his remedial sports thoughts and cover band passion-but it is what it is. Much like the guy who often takes the mic at 6pm, I simply shake my head. As a consumer of sports talk, it certainly seems like there are better options!

I'll be honest. I wish I had his success and I wish I had his talent. I don't.
But I'm not jealous. I also wish him the best.
But he needs to remember who he is in my opinion. He's not the Stones. He's not Michael Jackson. He's not Paul McCartney, and claiming to become them I believe hurts his cause.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:34 am 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
Dude, you need to stop talking down to people like you are some type of Big Deal around here.

You have a party at your house once a year and then you like to throw your weight around here like you own Katie O'Connor's or something!

Panther is desperate to bait me today! :lol:
Keep trying to do the drama thing today Panther!
Like I said earlier, you're just a little drama queen.

Tata,
Darko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:36 am 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
I'll always be here to keep you grounded, DarkNipples.

We will do the dance forever! :lol:

No. We won't.
So long Panther

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
PaPaea wrote:
Good points, and I'm surely not that hefty dude! I'm married to a dietitian, so I'd have a pretty tough home life if I maintained his current fighting weight/food intake schedule!

I don't care for either his radio work (the fake laughs are the worst, along with the constant need to jump in with a horrid pun just to beat and/or amuse McNeil) or his cover-tribute band stuff. His voice is annoying to me, and unfortunately his singing voice isn't too much different from his schmaltzy radio guy voice.

Good grief.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:37 am 

Speaking of which, it is a little maddening the way the owner of Katie O'Conner's throws his weight around on this board.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:41 am 
1000 CLUB

be·come   /bɪˈkʌm/ Show Spelled [bih-kuhm] Show IPA verb, be·came, be·come, be·com·ing.
verb (used without object)

1. to come, change, or grow to be (as specified): He became tired.
2. to come into being.
verb (used with object)
3. to be attractive on; befit in appearance; look well on: That gown becomes you.
4. to be suitable or necessary to the dignity, situation, or responsibility of: conduct that becomes an officer.
Idiom
5. become of, to happen to; be the fate of: What will become of him?

Can we keep this thread on track, please?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:42 am 

be·come   /bɪˈkʌm/ Show Spelled [bih-kuhm] Show IPA verb, be·came, be·come, be·com·ing.
verb (used without object)

1. to come, change, or grow to be (as specified): He became tired.
2. to come into being.
verb (used with object)
3. to be attractive on; befit in appearance; look well on: That gown becomes you.
4. to be suitable or necessary to the dignity, situation, or responsibility of: conduct that becomes an officer.
Idiom
5. become of, to happen to; be the fate of: What will become of him?

Example: When Matt Spiegel is on the radio in Chicago, he becomes a fan of Chicago teams.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
oh god... not another Darko/Panther feud. I cant handle every thread turning into this again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:43 am 

Dude spits a couple "meh"'s around every once in a while and now he wants to throw his weight around like he owns a record store.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: ***
I wish him all the best. I've personally never heard someone so talented, or witnessed a host so dedicated to his craft. I am jealous of Matt Spiegel's many, many talents.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:50 am 
1000 CLUB

spanky wrote:
Dude spits a couple "meh"'s around every once in a while and now he wants to throw his weight around like he owns a record store.

:lol:
20522 "meh's" there buddy...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:52 am 

I'm jealous that Matt Spiegel writes a column on a website along other illuminaries as Daniel I. Dorfman and Ten Foot Midget.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:53 am 

Every fucking time I click on this thread, I get a banner ad for the Moody Blues. That bothers me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:14 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Cover band or the real Moody Blues....

Either way, with a symphony behind them actually sounds pretty badass

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:29 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
From now on, when I post, I'm not simply going to share similar thoughts to things I hear on the radio. I'm actually going to "become Dan Bernstein".

Kid Cairo has beaten you to it.