It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Hatchetman wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
lolz you all hated murph and north but now that theyre gone and youre left with bitch and bitchstein you cant wait to get the old guys back.

+1

heeeey let the record shoooooow I never hated Murph. In small doses, I enjoyed his show, but beyond that, I understood the place it had on the Score as a certain flavor of sports talk.

I find it very interesting that Murph is so skeptical of Theo. I guess it's the logical extension of heeeey F-A-I-L bonkbonk-wheeeew-honk-honk, but it's interesting as a stance in direct opposition to the Score's nonstop taint-licking.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
like I said in many other threads, Murph solo was about as tasty as a gun in your mouth. Murph with Fred was very good, however. I'd love the two to get back on the air permanently.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Hatchetman wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
lolz you all hated murph and north but now that theyre gone and youre left with bitch and bitchstein you cant wait to get the old guys back.

+1

You guys are both wrong. Many cubs fans were OK with Murphs show, talking cubs

The guy watched every game, wrote down every at bat, every play, I know a Peoria Matt also had no issues with him.

Just because Teary hates him doesnt mean everyone has to.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
<honk> <honk>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
bigfan wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

+1

You guys are both wrong.

What else is new?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
It really would be glorious is WGN gets its shit together and guys like Murph and Mac can go there and talk Cubs and Hawks in addition to the rest of the teams and sports. The score is a shit sandwich right now but its the only truly local sandwich in town.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:24 pm 

As I've come to doubt the viability of doing hot talk over the air in 2014, WGN-FM's true calling might be as a sports station minus mornings, which can be Brandmeier because no one wants/needs sports talk in the mornings anyway. Think of it as WFAN and Imus. It would be nice to have 101.1 as the Cubs/Hawks station while 670 cements its status as Radio Reinsdorf.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:14 pm 

I heard a little of Murph and Fred today. I had Bloomengrote on but then a wild Zaidman appeared! I PTFB and there Murph was. Not bad. Not great. I used to listen their old morning show every day one summer in college on my long commute up north to my summer job. So I have a little nostalgia for all of their gimmicks.

Heyyyyy.

Berlin's House of Tools.

Hello, I must be going.

And who plays Going Mobile by The Who to close their show? Mike Murphy does motherfucker.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Damn, just saw this...glad to see Murph get another shot. Hopefully it pans out somewhere. I hope Pappy is next!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:34 pm 

Way to give advance notice on this one. 11pm last night. I would have listened had I known. Oh well. :scratch:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Face to face...over the phone.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:53 pm 

I don't give the finger!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:09 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
IkeSouth wrote:

first off, i can now hear the "BITCH AND BITCHSTEIN *DUH-DUH-DUH-DA-DUHDUHDUH* CHICAGO'S SPORTS RADIO THE SCORE!!! jingle now; thanks ike!

second of all, the bigger problem with b&b is that they've devolved from being easily-the-best-show in the history of the chicago sports market to being..... whatever they are now. whereas many of us found dan to be some sort of a breath of fresh air compared to the programming that was on for the rest of the day, that little bad/gay/weird oasis in a sea of contrary programming, now the status quo has changed to where the status quo IS b&b style programming, albeit done by bernstein-acolytes who aren't nearly as good at radio as dan is.

not to mention that bernstein changed when he came the FOTS.... his show used to be light and fun and "sports isn't important!" and while they'll technically acknowledge that now, dan's come to believe that being FOTS = with great power comes great responsibility and therefore he wants to use the medium of sports talk radio to get across important messages about CTE, child rape (seriously, can you think of another broadcaster who was against child rape b4 bernstein? important radio. i never thought about child rape until it programmed b&b for a good few months a couple'a years ago) and whatever else is going on. hell, dan seems to think that browbeating the callers into submission/agreement-with-his-point is IMPORTANT radio because FOTStein feels its some sort of duty of his to try and gentrify the minds of the callers/audience, and of course the end result of enlightening his audience is basically to get them in lockstep with his every thought.

now that dan's been the FOTS for awhile and the rest of the station has turned into people who saw how successful bernstein has been (especially in terms of going from a lowly reporter to the #1 host at the station) and have tried to emulate him since he's provided the blueprint (working your way up through the ranks) for their future success, or so they think. the problem, as CH and countless others have pointed out, is that when other people like Connor McDoink try to do the Bernstein schtick they're not bernstein, so they end up sounding like drinky amattacola who comes off as all kinds of bitter and sneering at you from his 50kw perch of automatic-correctness, and thus the product that comes out of the speakers has taken a hit. so a lot of us are left here in a situation where the show that brought us all together in the first place has basically turned into some painful radio and now the status quo if the station is everyone trying to do an impression of newschool b&b, but they don't have years and years of good will credit with the audience to cover the proverbial checks that they're cashing nowadays. since most of us used to really like bernstein years ago, he's starting from a position where he's already won us over as daily listeners and losing us there. give us someone who we don't know dick about and then hear their fuck-the-callers bernsteinian schtick and have to decide if we want to listen to again? yeah that's not happening. it's not like we've got years and years of ritual to detox from... it's a simple case of PTFB.

so whilst ike makes a very good point about the big picture of what's going on here, it's a case of the score being two very different stations roughly 10-12 years ago and now. when bernstein was the only show doing pre-FOTS bernstein it was easy to slag off the other stuff we could hear for the rest of the day and single out b&b as the show for us. now that everyone's doing post-FOTS bernstein all day long and we get no escape from the dickheaded condescension, yeah, that standard fare we heard ~20hrs/day 10 years ago seems awfully good in comparison to the "fuck-[us]" dreck that's out there now; even tho if we got back to the station being what it was 10yrs ago we'd eventually become hypercritical of their shortcomings over time and be on here bitching for some fresh faces in the score studios. that's one thing that bernstein, for better or worse, has imparted on us during his reign as FOTS: we're going to be way more hypercritical and negative as a whole because that's what their show has increasingly been for the last 5 years.

so yeah, i reckon this is a case of "the devil you know" versus "good god how many more people do i have to listen to try to be newschool bernstein?" and since we're almost a half-decade deep into the bernsteinian reign, it's getting to the point where we're reaching a critical mass because b&b's fall from grace has hurt a whole lot us because it's not like there was some sort of an abrupt change that brought in a radio show we don't like; in most cases it's that our favorite radio show turned into an awful radio show, which has become the template for everything we hear on the damn station. i don't think there's a great score hope over there in terms of somebody who any of us wanna hear step up and become a new chicago sports media star because, surprise surprise, they don't have any (cue the Beardown talk about how mitch thinks producers are worthless and therefore pays them diddly shit and thus all of the B-talent over there is a bunch of shitty hacks who honestly think impersonating the #1 guy at the station who worked his way up through the ranks is the best way for them to do the same thing, which again Beardown points out is far from the truth, likely much to the detriment of their careers down the road)

so yeah tl;dr = it's not that the old lineup was so awesome we can't help but pine for it, but it's that FOTStein has evolved not just himself but the whole station into such a "heaping helping of hooey" (to use a boersian term) that we're desperate for something, anything that isn't a laurence w holmes joint to break up the monotony that is listening to WDAN.

and i think that the #1 bernstein disciple/clone in the house, SHAKE THAT, going down to the 9-1 show which was the last outpost/bastion of non-bernstein talk on the station, has crushed our spirits so thoroughly that the indifference/dislike for the station has reached a critical mass where mitch is gonna have an issue on his hands if he lets this situation fester for any longer than a few months in trying to find a replacement for DaMaNeel.

the problem is, of course, that we're a minority.... a vocal minority, but a minority nonetheless.... and therefore it's easy/easier to marginalize our complaints as the whinging of marks who they figure will listen anyways (cuz how do we get our material to bitch about?) as opposed to seeing us as the dream focus group that we really are for them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
sinicalypse wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

first off, i can now hear the "BITCH AND BITCHSTEIN *DUH-DUH-DUH-DA-DUHDUHDUH* CHICAGO'S SPORTS RADIO THE SCORE!!! jingle now; thanks ike!

second of all, the bigger problem with b&b is that they've devolved from being easily-the-best-show in the history of the chicago sports market to being..... whatever they are now. whereas many of us found dan to be some sort of a breath of fresh air compared to the programming that was on for the rest of the day, that little bad/gay/weird oasis in a sea of contrary programming, now the status quo has changed to where the status quo IS b&b style programming, albeit done by bernstein-acolytes who aren't nearly as good at radio as dan is.

not to mention that bernstein changed when he came the FOTS.... his show used to be light and fun and "sports isn't important!" and while they'll technically acknowledge that now, dan's come to believe that being FOTS = with great power comes great responsibility and therefore he wants to use the medium of sports talk radio to get across important messages about CTE, child rape (seriously, can you think of another broadcaster who was against child rape b4 bernstein? important radio. i never thought about child rape until it programmed b&b for a good few months a couple'a years ago) and whatever else is going on. hell, dan seems to think that browbeating the callers into submission/agreement-with-his-point is IMPORTANT radio because FOTStein feels its some sort of duty of his to try and gentrify the minds of the callers/audience, and of course the end result of enlightening his audience is basically to get them in lockstep with his every thought.

now that dan's been the FOTS for awhile and the rest of the station has turned into people who saw how successful bernstein has been (especially in terms of going from a lowly reporter to the #1 host at the station) and have tried to emulate him since he's provided the blueprint (working your way up through the ranks) for their future success, or so they think. the problem, as CH and countless others have pointed out, is that when other people like Connor McDoink try to do the Bernstein schtick they're not bernstein, so they end up sounding like drinky amattacola who comes off as all kinds of bitter and sneering at you from his 50kw perch of automatic-correctness, and thus the product that comes out of the speakers has taken a hit. so a lot of us are left here in a situation where the show that brought us all together in the first place has basically turned into some painful radio and now the status quo if the station is everyone trying to do an impression of newschool b&b, but they don't have years and years of good will credit with the audience to cover the proverbial checks that they're cashing nowadays. since most of us used to really like bernstein years ago, he's starting from a position where he's already won us over as daily listeners and losing us there. give us someone who we don't know dick about and then hear their fuck-the-callers bernsteinian schtick and have to decide if we want to listen to again? yeah that's not happening. it's not like we've got years and years of ritual to detox from... it's a simple case of PTFB.

so whilst ike makes a very good point about the big picture of what's going on here, it's a case of the score being two very different stations roughly 10-12 years ago and now. when bernstein was the only show doing pre-FOTS bernstein it was easy to slag off the other stuff we could hear for the rest of the day and single out b&b as the show for us. now that everyone's doing post-FOTS bernstein all day long and we get no escape from the dickheaded condescension, yeah, that standard fare we heard ~20hrs/day 10 years ago seems awfully good in comparison to the "fuck-[us]" dreck that's out there now; even tho if we got back to the station being what it was 10yrs ago we'd eventually become hypercritical of their shortcomings over time and be on here bitching for some fresh faces in the score studios. that's one thing that bernstein, for better or worse, has imparted on us during his reign as FOTS: we're going to be way more hypercritical and negative as a whole because that's what their show has increasingly been for the last 5 years.

so yeah, i reckon this is a case of "the devil you know" versus "good god how many more people do i have to listen to try to be newschool bernstein?" and since we're almost a half-decade deep into the bernsteinian reign, it's getting to the point where we're reaching a critical mass because b&b's fall from grace has hurt a whole lot us because it's not like there was some sort of an abrupt change that brought in a radio show we don't like; in most cases it's that our favorite radio show turned into an awful radio show, which has become the template for everything we hear on the damn station. i don't think there's a great score hope over there in terms of somebody who any of us wanna hear step up and become a new chicago sports media star because, surprise surprise, they don't have any (cue the Beardown talk about how mitch thinks producers are worthless and therefore pays them diddly shit and thus all of the B-talent over there is a bunch of shitty hacks who honestly think impersonating the #1 guy at the station who worked his way up through the ranks is the best way for them to do the same thing, which again Beardown points out is far from the truth, likely much to the detriment of their careers down the road)

so yeah tl;dr = it's not that the old lineup was so awesome we can't help but pine for it, but it's that FOTStein has evolved not just himself but the whole station into such a "heaping helping of hooey" (to use a boersian term) that we're desperate for something, anything that isn't a laurence w holmes joint to break up the monotony that is listening to WDAN.

and i think that the #1 bernstein disciple/clone in the house, SHAKE THAT, going down to the 9-1 show which was the last outpost/bastion of non-bernstein talk on the station, has crushed our spirits so thoroughly that the indifference/dislike for the station has reached a critical mass where mitch is gonna have an issue on his hands if he lets this situation fester for any longer than a few months in trying to find a replacement for DaMaNeel.

the problem is, of course, that we're a minority.... a vocal minority, but a minority nonetheless.... and therefore it's easy/easier to marginalize our complaints as the whinging of marks who they figure will listen anyways (cuz how do we get our material to bitch about?) as opposed to seeing us as the dream focus group that we really are for them.

I've always liked Murph.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:34 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
sinicalypse wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

wow...this is some serious shit right here

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:56 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Spot on, Sini.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:29 am 

Matt Rodewald is doing an hour this morning in which he basically encapsulated this entire thread in about 12 minutes.

First he said we can call, email, or text, and that texting is the best way to be passive-aggressive because that way you can insult him and he has to read it, but get THIS, motherfuckers, you can go ahead and write your mean text that he'll accidentally read, but then all he has to do is CLOSE IT and it'll be GONE, just like that, and he'll have moved on from your petty attempt to hurt him with your words. Sure, you could go ahead and call to do it, too, but if you tried it over the phone, you know what? He'd just hang up on you in like two seconds. And that would be it. You'd fail to harm Matt Rodewald and then your Sunday morning would be ruined, because he'd have hung up on you before you could dispatch your verbal missiles, Commander Dickface.

Then he talked about the Bulls. He said that without Rose, the Bulls are done, and might as well tank, because the season is over now, and even if they don't, they'll just get lost in the Eastern Conference morass, and then the season is over that way too. He then went on to talk about how he loves the Bulls, but the Bulls are useless now, and there's no reason to follow the Bulls. SO WITH THAT IN MIND, 312.644.6767, give us a call and expend mental energy on why you won't expend mental energy on the Bulls. "Why should I care about this team?"

After the break, "I love the Bulls. I love basketball. I go to Bulls games when they're bad, I go to Bulls games when they're good." Well, I guess that's why you should care. Because you like the fucking team so much.

Good gravy. What a dillweed. This is such a bald-faced shitty impersonation, I'm surprised he didn't introduce himself as "I'm Matt Rodewald, and members of Matt Rodewald, am I doing it right?" No. You aren't doing anything right. This station blows.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:55 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
IkeSouth wrote:

Not all of us, Ike.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:58 am 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
As I've come to doubt the viability of doing hot talk over the air in 2014, WGN-FM's true calling might be as a sports station minus mornings, which can be Brandmeier because no one wants/needs sports talk in the mornings anyway. Think of it as WFAN and Imus. It would be nice to have 101.1 as the Cubs/Hawks station while 670 cements its status as Radio Reinsdorf.

Be wary of what you wish for. Remember I espoused that format, too, but then North took the morning show as the "general topic" talk show. Which of course didn't work because who wants to listen to North natter on politics with Annie as his foil?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:34 am 

Not quite the same. The Imus show was a holdover from WNBC that WFAN kept when they moved to 660. It was basically the Fan punting the morning drive and starting their broadcast day at 9 or 10. The MNMS was a Score guy being given free rein to do a sports show that could go away from sports, and he failed, because come on, it's North. That Brandmeier can do a morning show is not in question.

My greater point is that the glory days of 1000 were lightning in a bottle, and trying to make WGN-FM a wholesale revival of what 1000 was is destined to fail, just as WCKG did. It's not 1990 anymore. There could still be a place for Brandmeier, but I don't see a new generation of engaging personalities on the level of what 1000 had, and no, it can't just be about dragging Kevin Matthews back, either. Just go with FM sports.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:53 am 

Beebo wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Be wary of what you wish for. Remember I espoused that format, too, but then North took the morning show as the "general topic" talk show. Which of course didn't work because who wants to listen to North natter on politics with Annie as his foil?

like most things north, its easy to overeat. his politics are ridiculous, but if taken at a sample serving once a day its just hilarious.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:03 am 
1000 CLUB

IkeSouth wrote:
Beebo wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

like most things north, its easy to overeat. his politics are ridiculous, but if taken at a sample serving once a day its just hilarious.

Meaning, its the length of a segment, tops. A "Rusty" call, once a week.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:24 am 

Speaking of WGN-FM, just had to share this delightful tidbit from the Larz board. In response to the news that Kevin Matthews would do some imaging work for WGN-FM (so much for my "and no, it can't just be about dragging Kevin Matthews back, either"), some guy said "'imaging work' sounds cryptic."

Larz wrote:
By imaging, it means that Kevin's voice will be heard on the station's branding. When James Earl Jones' voice is heard on cable television saying "THIS is CNN," that is imaging. If when tuning in to WGN.FM, you hear Jimmy Shorts say something like "You're listing to WGN.FM, sucky!", that is what Kevin will be doing for the station. A month's worth of imaging can be done in a matter of minutes.

Hahaha, is there anything in this world that gets Larz's dick harder than mansplaining radio jargon to his devoted followers? Tell me about "stop sets" next, big daddy!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:25 am 

Sini, excellent, and if I may expound (briefly). WXRT may/is/was not the cup of tea for everybody some 30 years ago, but for those who liked it what made it special was not a homogenous presentation by the hosts or program director. No set playlists, hosts with differing personalities and tastes, music that ventured where other stations dared not tread.

In many aspects WSCR emulated the same approach to sports radio some 20 years ago, no stringent adherence to catering to team ownership, hosts with personality (translation: no Chets), the emphasis on talking to the fans/callers. The entertainment/enjoyment of listening came in not hearing the same thing all day/everyday. Sure, the hosts would hone in on a specific topic but in general they allowed for the discussion to be lively.

Today, as Sini so accurately points out, the opposite has come about. Certain owners are now revered, the hosts are all trying to emulate the FOTS, and the callers are treated with contempt and derision.

My point (and to bring this home), is that WXRT has survived (look at how many others have come and gone) by sticking to a winning formula (again, not everybody's cup of tea) and keeping it about the music first. WSCR has adopted an approach that is so filled with hubris by the hosts that (as pointed out by another post) it has become one huge shit sandwich, with the hosts (cooks) complaining about how our breaths stink.

Chicago needs and deserves another local sports talker. Anything that loosely approaches the original Score will capture the attention of many and give listeners and callers a choice. Let WSCR become what the FOTS wants it to desperately become, the elite boutique of sports talk radio (DB Douchies -- Shit Sammiches & more!).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Chus wrote:
Face to face...over the phone.

I still have that transition on one of my old phones from years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:35 am 

Mr. Reason wrote:
cpguy wrote:
Hopefully they give Murph more than 1 shift. He was on 1000 previously as many of you know but it didn't last long at all.

Levine clearly was getting bad.

I wonder if Terry will no longer be allowed to call him Professor Flakey?

This is really going to be an interesting twist as Hub is their football expert and Levine will undoubtedly be their baseball expert...not enough Thursdays in a month to fill hold the amount of Who You Crappins that will be produced.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:00 am 

Beebo wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

yep, that still burns in my mind

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:08 am 

bigfan wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

+1

The guy watched every game, wrote down every at bat, every play, I know a Peoria Matt also had no issues with him.

I'm not even a Cub fan and I was a big Murph defender. I don't like him during the days but he is a very comfortable listen at night where he can spend half an hour on his crazy topics and open up the lines to debate the point.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Levine's voice makes me feel sleepy.

No shit, Q. It's like listening to Lovie break down baseball.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:26 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
good dolphin wrote:
bigfan wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

+1

I'm not even a Cub fan and I was a big Murph defender. I don't like him during the days but he is a very comfortable listen at night where he can spend half an hour on his crazy topics and open up the lines to debate the point.

In the early years of the board, you and I were about the only two members of the Murph ALS. I liked Murph no matter his time slot. He was an easy listen for me. His wacky segments were a nice break from all the "important" radio going around him. I hope he and Fred find a regular slot. They're still my favorite morning show. He wasn't interested in changing the world. Just fans talking to fans.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next