It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:58 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
If the travel teams truly cared about making the kids better, they would have far fewer games and far more practices. Practice with good coaching is how you become better. The games are just the fun part to display what you have learned.

With all of this specialization and elite competition, is the quality of play any better at any level of baseball than, say, 50 years ago? I ask that with an open mind to the answer.

That is the reason originally we started the team, in our little league we could never get field time for practice. We joined the Jaguars program and had to split the field with only 2 other teams = more practice time.

Yes, I think it is but I am not a fan of taking a 10 year old kid and saying you are just playing baseball and no other sports. I think playing other sports helps skills all the way around.

I think you answered on the micro level. Do you think the better level of play has resulted in better players at the minor and major league level? That would be the logical result.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
ShipOfZion wrote:
While you clowns argue about what sports your brats play, you missed one of the better inside jokes I have heard. "Deuce" by KISS is Grobstein's theme-song.

They're all trying to out-B.Rick each other.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:01 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
If the travel teams truly cared about making the kids better, they would have far fewer games and far more practices. Practice with good coaching is how you become better. The games are just the fun part to display what you have learned.

With all of this specialization and elite competition, is the quality of play any better at any level of baseball than, say, 50 years ago? I ask that with an open mind to the answer.

That is the reason originally we started the team, in our little league we could never get field time for practice. We joined the Jaguars program and had to split the field with only 2 other teams = more practice time.

Yes, I think it is but I am not a fan of taking a 10 year old kid and saying you are just playing baseball and no other sports. I think playing other sports helps skills all the way around.

I think you answered on the micro level. Do you think the better level of play has resulted in better players at the minor and major league level? That would be the logical result.

In my opinion, I don't like to compare one era of players to another, I think that is a very difficult thing to do. But yes, I think overall the play is better. The superstars then would be superstars now and vice versa.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:02 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
There is very little in common with "elite" level teams and in house or 80% of the glorified "travel" programs. There is no way that a regular travel team (think any team with Alsip, Palos, Plainfield, Tinley Park, Oak Forest or Homer Glen in their name) will win more than 10% of its games vs. true elite level travel teams. One level actually plays baseball, the others give the parents to come to the park, drink, hand out snacks and socialize.

What makes an elite travel team? What are they made up of? Kids from house leagues right?

Is it one team for a large area?

Maybe I misunderstand what you're saying here.

RR is talking about the great travel teams that are true multi age programs gathering from regions rather than rag tags who pat themselves on the back for blowing away kids who are scared of the ball.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:03 pm 

spmack wrote:
ShipOfZion wrote:
While you clowns argue about what sports your brats play, you missed one of the better inside jokes I have heard. "Deuce" by KISS is Grobstein's theme-song.

two guys whose sperm can't swim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
good dolphin wrote:
spmack wrote:
ShipOfZion wrote:

:lol: Ok that made me laugh.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:05 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

In the last 10 years Illinois has produced the 5th most major league players behind California, Texas, Florida and Georgia.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:06 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

In my opinion, I don't like to compare one era of players to another, I think that is a very difficult thing to do. But yes, I think overall the play is better. The superstars then would be superstars now and vice versa.

I'm not talking about superstars. Greats will always be great. I think you would be hard pressed to say that this is baseball's golden age, which really is the genesis of this discussion. However, with all the focus on the game by those who play, shouldn't this be the best level of baseball we have ever witnessed?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:08 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
There is very little in common with "elite" level teams and in house or 80% of the glorified "travel" programs. There is no way that a regular travel team (think any team with Alsip, Palos, Plainfield, Tinley Park, Oak Forest or Homer Glen in their name) will win more than 10% of its games vs. true elite level travel teams. One level actually plays baseball, the others give the parents to come to the park, drink, hand out snacks and socialize.

What makes an elite travel team? What are they made up of? Kids from house leagues right?

Is it one team for a large area?

Maybe I misunderstand what you're saying here.

RR is talking about the great travel teams that are true multi age programs gathering from regions rather than rag tags who pat themselves on the back for blowing away kids who are scared of the ball.

So, like AAU style?

Yeah, I was more talking about the expansion of house leagues travel teams

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:14 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

In the last 10 years Illinois has produced the 5th most major league players behind California, Texas, Florida and Georgia.

I know because I read that from you before. I'm assuming you would answer that the level of play in Illinois is at an all time high. I'm wondering about MLB, minor, college, high school across the entire state of the game. You and RR are guys who are boots on the ground with this stuff. Is the play of the game better at each level than it was 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
spmack wrote:
ShipOfZion wrote:

Nah. Kids are just a total nuisance and headache. Nothing but a pain in the ass. Keep 'em. I can live my life with total freedom and spend all of my money on ME.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:15 pm 

spmack wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
spmack wrote:
ShipOfZion wrote:

:lol: Ok that made me laugh.

That's what I'm here for

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I don't have much experience but it seems to me that "travel" baseball has been diluted from what I recall it being. It seems no to be just another tier up from the basic "house" or babe ruth league. It really is just the all star team (or whatever kid that has parents that can afford it) from each suburb playing another suburb. Maybe two out of town trips total per year.

It is glorified all star teams. Not the kick you in the teeth and make you like it travel teams of old.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Anybody know what happened between Mac and meat to make Mac salty? Or did he just realize it wasn't flight miles and meat is a smarmy grandstanding wussy?

Ya know it's really not right for Mac to say shitty things about him even if it's entertaining.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
good dolphin wrote:

I know because I read that from you before. I'm assuming you would answer that the level of play in Illinois is at an all time high. I'm wondering about MLB, minor, college, high school across the entire state of the game. You and RR are guys who are boots on the ground with this stuff. Is the play of the game better at each level than it was 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago?

Just from a casual view, I would say its not as good. I think kids practiced more with Less Distractions available to them . Top flight was always top flight, apples to apples I would say they're about the same. It seems that there are more kids who are not very good now ( the kid in Frank's example for instance ) than there were in years past at the little league level.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:23 pm 

ShipOfZion wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
spmack wrote:
ShipOfZion wrote:

Nah. Kids are just a total nuisance and headache. Nothing but a pain in the ass. Keep 'em. I can live my life with total freedom and spend all of my money on ME.

enjoy the bed sores and rape of a nursing home populated by old people who have no one who cares for them

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
MattInTheCrown wrote:
Because baseball's headed boxing's way, and its fans are butthurt about it.

Football has a lot more problems looming than baseball.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
MattInTheCrown wrote:
Because baseball's headed boxing's way, and its fans are butthurt about it.

Football has a lot more problems looming than baseball.

True, but, unlike baseball, irrelevancy isn't one of them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:29 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I'll ask some of the old tymers what they think. Those guys drop names and tell stories about guys I've never heard of before but I would say the level of play is better now than it has ever been.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
ShipOfZion wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
ShipOfZion wrote:

enjoy the bed sores and rape of a nursing home populated by old people who have no one who cares for them

So that's why you had kids? So they can change your diaper because you changed theirs? I'm good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
TRAVEL TEAM is a status symbol and that's it.

When I played Little League there was 300+ kids and there was one travel team, they played once a week and it was a true ALL STAR team of kids 13 and younger.

Part of the reason was that they didnt have a high school or JR High team to play on. So the team was made up of all kids 13 and under. Most of the kids were 13 and the 12 year olds were the best (5) 12 year olds.

Now, every level has a TRAVEL TEAM and the parents need to put some big time and money into it. Thus it's not the best players, it's the ones who can afford it and can make the time.

Best kid on the team I coached, didn't even tryout for travel because his parents couldnt accomodate the time and assuming he keeps playing he will be better than each of the shits I coached who had $500 worth of equipment in a $100 bag.

I think the talent is there, just not developed into skills.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
That elite athletic talent can be spotted by kindergarten is somehow sad. Coming up to some six-year-old at a baseball diamond, "kid, I've been watching you, and you've got what it takes."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:55 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
That elite athletic talent can be spotted by kindergarten is somehow sad. Coming up to some six-year-old at a baseball diamond, "kid, I've been watching you, and you've got what it takes."

Yeah, in my opinion I don't agree with that. Who knows how a 6 year old is going to grow? I have seen many kids in my coaching days that were the best players when they were younger, but after some growth spurts they are not even playing anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:15 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Manziel's Hottie.

Ryan Miller still got the edge IMO.

No...and for so many reasons
No? Would you prefer she had a penis? She's definitely not a 10, but she's also not somebody you say no to.

This was a good read. I'm glad BRick wasn't around for it :lol:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Frank, he was saying no to my assertion that Ryan Miller's wife is hotter.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:40 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
FavreFan wrote:
Frank, he was saying no to my assertion that Ryan Miller's wife is hotter.
I see. You never can be to sure with dolphin.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:41 pm 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Nowadays, you can't just meet up at any random open field and start shagging balls - you have to have a fucking insurance cert with signed waivers!

Sorry Q, but I don't understand what that has to do with what I am saying.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:13 pm 

Gotcha yes, and you played pick up games with teams and some kids had to sit out. It was fun.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:15 pm 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
ShipOfZion wrote:

Thx 4 the tip, Spiegs!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OUTED!

Im pretty sure he's not Spiegel, but if he is, credit for hiding it well with posts like this

ShipOfZion wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
ShipOfZion wrote:
Grimace's money-fantasy just proves what a slothful waste of space he is. Can't believe he said that out loud.

What did he say?

BTW, who is that in your av?

It was something like a wall-sized fridge with a built in staircase :shock: and over-sized chairs that turn into toilets at the touch of a button.

My av is Neil Fallon and Dan Maines from the band Clutch.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders
Clutch is a hipster band?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next