It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:18 am 

pizza_Place: Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders
Is that the edited version where they made it into a love story?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Makalu G wrote:
Is that the edited version where they made it into a love story?

They played that as well!

That always cracked me up!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:02 am 

It was funny but that has to be at least twenty years old

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
good dolphin wrote:

Coincidentally, that was the last time that Johnny B. was funny.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:20 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:

That Winkelman bit WAS from a while. Played when Brandmeier was on vacation a couple weeks ago, but Q for some reason took it as live.

JB and Buzz are producing some great radio right now, though. Wonder if they'll stay at 87.7. Enjoy it while the show is still going!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
they're not a bad listen. The thing that keeps me there is the utter lack of commercials though. If that ever changes, I'd probably not be into it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:37 pm 

I sampled this guy on his first comeback attempt and it was truly awful, but It wasnt an exteneded listen.

Im perplexed. I couldnt believe how bad it was for how revered he is by many

What's his deal? Shock jock? Just comedy?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:11 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
I sampled this guy on his first comeback attempt and it was truly awful, but It wasnt an exteneded listen.

You must be referring to when he initially joined 720. JB wasn't good in that format, especially for WGN's morning show. Constant traffic, news, weather breaks. He's even admitted it. That's why his current show is almost hard to believe ... he's been released from WGN's precise programming clock.

Why does a radio station need to tell you the time, by the way? Look at your phone!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:12 pm 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

He is a regular guy, a man's man, but also somewhat Metro, Quick-witted, doesn't lose his cool, has very good entertainment connections, and a perfect sidekick.

I'm telling you, to me, he is the best thing on radio now.

He doesn't talk sports - basically at all - but the way he molds his show out of fresh clay each day (when live) - it's pretty astonishing. A lot of the time, he just gets into things completely spontaneously and takes them to funny or interesting places.

And, as I have said before, he fucks with callers and has fun with them without being disrespectful and making them want to Eric Bogosian him like most probably want to do with Bernstein.

He has as quick of a wit and analytic mind as any learned and experienced improv comic.

Seconded.

Also, his voice-changing board is hilarious. Especially Billy the Bed Bug. Yeah man, get up in there!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:11 pm 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

He is a regular guy, a man's man, but also somewhat Metro, Quick-witted, doesn't lose his cool, has very good entertainment connections, and a perfect sidekick.

He doesn't talk sports - basically at all - but the way he molds his show out of fresh clay each day (when live) - it's pretty astonishing. A lot of the time, he just gets into things completely spontaneously and takes them to funny or interesting places.

And, as I have said before, he fucks with callers and has fun with them without being disrespectful and making them want to Eric Bogosian him like most probably want to do with Bernstein.

He has as quick of a wit and analytic mind as any learned and experienced improv comic.

Brandmeier is hardly a regular guy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:28 am 

Dahl used to describe how Brandmeier would not let people look at him in the hallways.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:48 am 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Ill check it out. Maybe Radio nerd is right.

Have you listened to Carolla's daily podcast? Id think that would be RIGHT up your alley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:51 am 

RadioNerd wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

You must be referring to when he initially joined 720. JB wasn't good in that format, especially for WGN's morning show. Constant traffic, news, weather breaks. He's even admitted it. That's why his current show is almost hard to believe ... he's been released from WGN's precise programming clock.

Why does a radio station need to tell you the time, by the way? Look at your phone!

Yes, that was it

Around Super bowl time because as Ive posted before he was reading off NFL themed food dishes and laughing like it was the funniest thing he'd ever seen

Randy Moss-tocolli

Brutal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
reception is horrible. In the hinterlands of Oak Park I can't get 87.7 clearly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:42 am 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Q.Bovifs wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Ill check it out. Maybe Radio nerd is right.

Have you listened to Carolla's daily podcast? Id think that would be RIGHT up your alley

I love Carolla, but I can't keep up with Podcasts for some reason.

You gotta DL the Carolla app on your phone. Then just plug it in whenever, where ever.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
rogers park bryan wrote:
You gotta DL the Carolla app on your phone. Then just plug it in whenever, where ever.

So no more lugging your personal computer around?

HOT DOG!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:49 am 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

So no more lugging your personal computer around?

HOT DOG!

:lol:

It was tough listening to Coppock back in the day when Computers were the size of a room.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
good dolphin wrote:
Dahl used to describe how Brandmeier would not let people look at him in the hallways.

I'm still down with JB if for no other reason than memories of the golden age of chicago radio. Though I agree that it's hard to tell if he's on live or not. Weirdy, Howard Stern just this morning claimed that he almost no friends in radio. Of the 5 people he mentioned, one was Johnny. Wouldn't have guessed.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:21 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Felicia Middlebrooks, Grobber, Spike O'Dell and Roy Leonard.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Q.Bovifs wrote:
DannyB wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I'm still down with JB if for no other reason than memories of the golden age of chicago radio. Though I agree that it's hard to tell if he's on live or not. Weirdy, Howard Stern just this morning claimed that he almost no friends in radio. Of the 5 people he mentioned, one was Johnny. Wouldn't have guessed.

Who were the other 4?

Fred, Robin, Benjy, and Ta-ta-toothy.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I do remember Johnny B would use a curtain during shows, so nobody could see him per Mr Dahl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Q.Bovifs wrote:
DannyB wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Who were the other 4?

Could you link the segment - I'd love to hear that.

I don't know where to find it but it was fairly early like the day after the guy from Opie and Anthony was fired. He was basically saying that he didn't give a shit. And then that he had almost no friends in radio. I didn't recognize any of the names. One was a producer from KROQ.

Edit: On second thought I found it on MarksFriggin.com

Howard Doesn't Care About Other Radio Shows. 07/15/14. 6:45am
After the break Howard came back and took a call from a guy who asked why he's in such a foul mood today. Howard said you wake up on the wrong side of the bed sometimes. The caller asked if it bothers him that those guys, Opie and Anthony, talk so much stuff about him and the company keeps them. Howard said he has no comment on Anthony more than he would if they took other shows off channels like the Bruce Springsteen channel. He said he doesn't care about anything else there. Howard said he's in radio, they're in radio and that's where it ends. Howard said Judith Reagan has a show on there but is anyone going to call him about her if she gets fired? Howard said he doesn't need anyone fired if they say something negative about him. He doesn't care.
Howard said it's like assuming all black guys are buddies. Howard said he knows very few people in radio that he associates with. He said Kidd Chris and Chris Booker are about it. Howard said Bubba, Johnny B and Gary Mayer are a couple of others. He said that's it. Howard said he'd like to call Cousin Brucie his friend but they don't get together that much. Howard said he has nothing to do with most people in radio. He said he is the most successful person in radio, hands down, and everyone else is just sort of there. Howard said that's how he views the world. He said if you can't deal with it then go fuck yourself.

Howard said he doesn't care if a team breaks up. He said they can call them and ask them what they're going to do. Howard said he doesn't care.

Howard said he's friends with Human Newman and Dead Air Dave too. He said he's a good dude too. Howard said that's it for radio guys

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"