It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:18 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
@TeddyGreenstein: I'm hearing of a major coaching move involving a B1G school but can't get it confirmed. Damn journalism rules.

What would this be? Fitz?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Kevin Wilson?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:28 pm 

Wisconsin coach to Oregon State.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:31 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Hopefully, KC Johnson doesn't get a hold of this story.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Whoa.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:37 pm 

Literally just got done reading this article. Wonder if it's sort of related. Still seems odd, though.
http://cfn.scout.com/2/1490029.html

Going into the offseason, I'll be doing a bunch of shorter, daily rants on the world, like this one. To find out when they go up, follow me at @PeteFiutak. Please.

” In heaven there is no beer/ That's why we drink it here (Right Here!)/ When we're gone from here,/ all our friends will be drinking all our beer!” … Again, cool with Ohio State being in. I’m not arguing against it, and I’m glad it’s Ohio State vs. Alabama. But maybe, just maybe, Wisconsin was ripe to get blasted because the program has hit a hard-ceiling.

Getting to a third Big Ten championship game in four years is impressive, but it also speaks to the Big Ten’s biggest problem. If Wisconsin continues to be one of your superpowers, you have an issue.

Kansas State might be close, but there has been no bigger bumslayer of a big-time college football program – a beater of the mediocre and sad - since Barry Alvarez created the system that turned around one of the most woeful programs in the country into a powerhouse over 20 years ago, and now, it’s time Wisconsin takes a hard look at how the bratwurst is being made.

Let 59-0 be the wake-up call that LSU’s win at the beginning of the season should’ve been. Yeah, it’s great to blow away the Bowling Greens and Purdues of the world, and when the ground game is rolling, it’s easy to fall into a false sense of security when there’s a blasting of a Nebraska and the running backs – who have done a fat load of jack squat upon entering the NFL – pile up a bazillion yards, but Ohio State won 59-0 because it could. Ohio State’s third-string quarterback is better than Wisconsin’s starter, and when the pressure and heat were on, the four-and-five-star talents rocked the recruit-to-a-type guys, just like LSU did in the fourth quarter of its win.

At home, yeah, Wisconsin is phenomenal, and the Camp Randall advantage helped in the two really, really amazing wins over the last two decades – giving Ohio State its only loss in 2010, and beating the defending national champ Buckeyes in 2003. But even those two Badger teams blew it, gagging away the 2011 Rose Bowl to TCU by forgetting to run the ball, and losing five of its last six in 2003.

In non-conference games against Power 5-level programs away from Madison, how has Wisconsin done lately?

2014 vs. LSU, 28-24 loss. 2014 Capital One Bowl vs. South Carolina, 34-24 loss. 2013 at Arizona State, not fair, but 32-30 loss. 2013 Rose Bowl vs. Stanford, 20-14 loss. 2012 at Oregon State, 10-7 loss. 2012 Rose Bowl vs. Oregon, 45-38 loss. 2011 Rose Bowl vs. TCU (we’ll count this as a Power 5-level game), 21-19 loss. 2009 Champs Sports Bowl vs. Miami, 20-14 win. 2008 Champs Sports Bowl vs. Florida State, 42-13 loss. 2008 Outback Bowl vs. Tennessee 21-17 loss.

Of course, beating Michigan State in the 2011 Big Ten championship matters, as does the 70-31 blasting of Nebraska in the 2012 Big Ten championship. Of course, most programs would kill for the overall success Wisconsin has enjoyed, but at some point there has to be step taken forward.

Let 59-0 be your 2014 wake-up call, Wisconsin. It’s time to figure out how to get the bigger, better recruits, and it’s time to really and truly plunge right through that line.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:38 pm 

Brian Hamilton ‏@BrianHamiltonSI 25s25 seconds ago
Per @ESPNRittenberg & @TravHaneyESPN, Gary Andersen was frustrated with admissions policies. But still. A stunner.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:40 pm 

Gary Andersen is a spaz. Good riddance.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:45 pm 

Odd move - maybe Wisconsin isn't as good of a job that some would be led to believe.

Kirk Ferentz for Wisconsin!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:57 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Odd move - maybe Wisconsin isn't as good of a job that some would be led to believe.

I think all the Big Ten jobs excluding Ohio State and maybe Michigan are tough. Changing demographics and a semblance academic standards.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:58 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

I think all the Big Ten jobs excluding Ohio State and maybe Michigan are tough. Changing demographics and a semblance academic standards.

His offense was also never a good fit for Wisconsin football. Could be that too. But it sounds like he wanted to significantly change the admission policies. Had to have known those when he was hired.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:06 pm 

Bucky Chris wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

His offense was also never a good fit for Wisconsin football. Could be that too. But it sounds like he wanted to significantly change the admission policies. Had to have known those when he was hired.

I don't think he was well liked. I for sure didn't.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:12 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

I don't think he was well liked. I for sure didn't.

I'd say 50-50 in Badger fans. He really screwed up at QB, which was a big reason we lost to LSU and NU. Lot of fans never forgave him for that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Kirkwood wrote:

Changing demographics?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
So now Michigan and Wisconsin need coaches.

Profootballtalk has Bevell as a possibility for Wisconsin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:18 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
They are already worried Pitt coach to Wisconsin.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:51 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Firing Bo Pelini is the big move. You heard it here first.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:40 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

Changing demographics?

Football players aren't being produced in the Midwest like they used to be. Tough(er) to recruit Sun Belt players when they're pursued by schools in their own backyard.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:43 am 

Quote:
The number of Midwestern prospects signing BCS-level scholarships has dropped over the past decade. From 2002 to 2007, about 200 players per year within the 500-mile radius (Kirkwood: Lincoln, Neb as the center) signed with BCS schools. Since 2008, the average is approximately 150.

Look at the state of Oklahoma. Five years ago, it was churning out 20 to 30 BCS-level prospects per year. Last year, according to Rivals.com, it produced just 16. This year, only 10.

Other Plains states are experiencing similar slumps. Minnesota. Kansas. Colorado. From 2005 to 2010, Colorado produced an average of 16 BCS signees per year. The past three recruiting cycles, the average was nine.

In Nebraska, the story is the same. The state has produced just three BCS signees the past two years — and one of those, Christian Lacouture, moved to Lincoln Southwest for only his senior season.

Those are the lowest in-state totals during the scholarship limit era.

Meanwhile, the Sun Belt booms. Population in southern states grew 14 percent from 2000 to 2010, compared with just 4 percent in the Midwest. Per capita, they produce more than twice as many BCS recruits.

Fueled by SEC dominance, there’s a growing perception that southern football is superior. College coaches are flooding the region.

Look at Georgia. From 2004 to 2008, it produced an average of 90 BCS recruits per year. Pretty incredible for a state of 9 million. But that was nothing. The past five years, the average is more than 115.

That’s 25 fewer scholarships available to kids from the Midwest and other areas.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:22 am 

pittmike wrote:
They are already worried Pitt coach to Wisconsin.

Chryst would make sense given his back history. Doeren could get a call too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:25 am 

Chryst wouldn't last more than 3 years at Wisconsin. Lifelong OC that isn't a good fit as a head coach. Even Purdue turned him down. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:34 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Chryst wouldn't last more than 3 years at Wisconsin. Lifelong OC that isn't a good fit as a head coach. Even Purdue turned him down. :lol:

Because who Purdue chose is doing so well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:47 am 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Because who Purdue chose is doing so well. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Exactly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:49 am 

I know Wisconsin fans don't want to admit this, but maybe just maybe the God Barry Alvarez is the issue. All coaches have egos and they may not like somebody looking over their shoulder the whole time saying this is the Wisconsin way. Also, maybe Wisconsin fans need a reality check and realize that 10-11 win seasons are really good.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:50 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
I know Wisconsin fans don't want to admit this, but maybe just maybe the God Barry Alvarez is the issue. All coaches have egos and they may not like somebody looking over their shoulder the whole time saying this is the Wisconsin way. Also, maybe Wisconsin fans need a reality check and realize that 10-11 win seasons are really good.

Alvarez acts like a freaking GM.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:51 am 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Alvarez acts like a freaking GM.

He is as pompous and arrogant as they come.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:00 am 

The way Wisconsin builds a team also causes them to be bad matchups against a lot of elite teams while they can absolutely steamroll average competition. The pure size and strength of Wisconsin always amazes me but there is a reason that the best teams in the country and the Big Ten don't build their teams like that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:03 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Kirkwood wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

Changing demographics?

Football players aren't being produced in the Midwest like they used to be. Tough(er) to recruit Sun Belt players when they're pursued by schools in their own backyard.

Oh, right, gotcha. I thought you meant in the stands.

I'm glad we're not producing as many football players and I'm not all that surprised. I think Big Ten fans themselves secretly feel the same way, as the self-handicapping gives them the moral high ground of at least doing the best they can without the big black wang-whipping studs from down on the plantations -- oh, excuse me, the Sun Belt.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:09 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The way Wisconsin builds a team also causes them to be bad matchups against a lot of elite teams while they can absolutely steamroll average competition. The pure size and strength of Wisconsin always amazes me but there is a reason that the best teams in the country and the Big Ten don't build their teams like that.

A lot of that has to do with the players that come out of Wisconsin though - lot of big farm boys.

Interesting thing now is you know Minnesota, Iowa are drooling to grab some of their potential players.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:13 am 

There's something more here than is being revealed. Wisconsin is a better job than Oregon St. Wisconsin really has no shadow (unlike having to compete with a top program like Oregon) and is the best program in the Big Ten right after Ohio State.