It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Scottie is right
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:23 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
pittmike wrote:
Too many repeaters I guess.

Yep. Add Moses Malone and Curry to the list. The face of the league has been in the Finals all but 5 years since 1980.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:24 pm 

Nas wrote:
He had a lot to do with those championships too. No one talks about the greatness of Ron Harper because he was truly just a guy.

Pippen was an all star and the second best player by a mile. There was a significant gap in terms of level of importance between he and Jordan. That 95 team struggled tremendously prior to Jordans arrival. A rusty Jordan instantly made them relevant. That is what you call impact.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:27 pm 
100000 CLUB

long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
He had a lot to do with those championships too. No one talks about the greatness of Ron Harper because he was truly just a guy.

Pippen was an all star and the second best player by a mile. There was a significant gap in terms of level of importance between he and Jordan. That 95 team struggled tremendously prior to Jordans arrival. A rusty Jordan instantly made them relevant. That is what you call impact.

That's because the roster didn't have a lot of talent. They didn't replace Grant until the following season.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:30 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Chris Bosh and Wade are better supporting stars than Pippen and Grant/Rodman. The east has been atrocious for most of the last 15 years or so, which happens to coincide with LeBron's career.

Correct. LeBron James has never had to beat a team as good as the Bad Boy Pistons in the East.

Pistons, Cavs and the Pacers at different times during the championship run

The Cavaliers were stacked

Yes they were. Everyone remembers Jordan's shot but the Cavs were in place to be the NBA's next great team. Jordan singlehandedly won that series.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:32 pm 
100000 CLUB

Jordan killed Cleveland every chance he got. As a Bulls fan I loved it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:42 pm 

Nas wrote:
Jordan killed Cleveland every chance he got. As a Bulls fan I loved it.

It seems as though LeBron James is returning the favor. That Cleveland series and the display that Jordan put on is the sort of performance that great players are supposed to do. That Bulls team was so garbage that his supporting cast was referred to as the "Jordannaires".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
veganfan21 wrote:
Pippen is a poor man's Grant Hill and Grant Hill is a poor man's LeBron James.

Serious about this. Hill was more gifted scorer and distributor than Pippen. Wasn't known for defense at first but became really good post injury. Aside from the body type Hill is James' closest contemporary comparison, not Pippen. Look at the stats between the three.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:10 pm 
100000 CLUB

veganfan21 wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Serious about this. Hill was more gifted scorer and distributor than Pippen. Wasn't known for defense at first but became really good post injury. Aside from the body type Hill is James' closest contemporary comparison, not Pippen. Look at the stats between the three.

I get what you're saying but Grant Hill didn't stay healthy long enough and defensively he wasn't in their league. He is one on the 2 players (Dominique being the other ) that I saw shit on Scottie pretty much every game.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:30 pm 

Pete Myers.

I get what Scottie is trying to say and, some 15 years after playing comes a player who plays his type of game better. If Lebron says Scottie was an influence I can believe and accept that. He is without question the most amazing combination physical specimen and exemplary game to this date.

As was Jordan when he played. The game was more physical then too. But the reason I keep Jordan as GOAT is because of how he didn't leave you bleeding and still twitching on the mat. He would rip your heart out, take a huge chunk out and spit it at your bench, and then step on the remains while stepping over you for the win.

Jordan had Scottie, and he took care of a lot of the little details that go with playing a team game. Jordan made Scottie tougher and once he was no longer flinching at Dennis Rodman he became what he became. The year that Scottie didn't have Jordan it was Pete Myers who had to pick up the slack. Pete had games where he could make shots and many more games where he couldn't.

The problem with some of the comparisons (excluding centers) is that the players mentioned were significantly shorter than Pippen and didn't have his wingspan. I was a Dennis Johnson fan when he was with Seattle, where he had a bigger impact than with the Celtics. In Boston he was one of the first "big" guards to defend the point guard. But on the wing he is small to undersized.

Pickup/playground basketball and I take doughboy (over Scottie) because his ass was too much to deal with and that made him physically too much and too quick for anybody.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:33 pm 

Nas wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

I get what you're saying but Grant Hill didn't stay healthy long enough and defensively he wasn't in their league. He is one on the 2 players (Dominique being the other ) that I saw shit on Scottie pretty much every game.

Grant Hill was a better ball handler than James. In terms of statistics their numbers were about the same. A healthy Grant Hill was better than Pippen. Hill probably not as good defensively as James early in his career but the latter day Hill was a top notch defender. James defense is overrated in my opinion. Hill was not the passer that James was either.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:48 pm 

Nas wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

LeBron James is not defender that Pippen was. I argued this on B&B a few yrs ago. If you want to see defense look at what Iggy, Butler, Leonard and Tony Allen did to LeBron James while guarding him. That's defense. Iggy shut LeBron James down and that's why he won MVP. I never see LeBron James do that. He never guards primary scorers. Pippen and all other great defenders have done that. That's where you earn your rep.

A few possessions here and there means nothing. That's why I laugh at the Derrick Rose stuff. That was for a few possesions. I never see him lock guys up as Iggy did to him in the finals.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:52 pm 
100000 CLUB

long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

LeBron James is not defender that Pippen was. I argued this on B&B a few yrs ago. If you want to see defense look at what Iggy, Butler, Leonard and Tony Allen did to LeBron James while guarding him. That's defense. Iggy shut LeBron James down and that's why he won MVP. I never see LeBron James do that. He never guards primary scorers. Pippen and all other great defenders have done that. That's where you earn your rep.

A few possessions here and there means nothing. That's why I laugh at the Derrick Rose stuff. That was for a few possesions. I never see him lock guys up as Iggy did to him in the finals.

As a former LeBron hater I can't recall seeing him lock up a guy for the entire game. It's possible that he did. He's always been asked to do so much that it would be difficult to accomplish. I somewhat agree with you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: my house
I think the point Pip is making is he was the fore runner. James has said growing up he patterned his game after Pip's. Hill came after Pip. And yes, Pip is one of the greatest on ball defenders to ever play. Ever. He didn't say he was better than James. But you can see Scottie's game in Jame's game. It's the right comp.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:58 pm 
100000 CLUB

Who is Doughboy? Dennis Johnson?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:59 pm 
100000 CLUB

notbob wrote:
I think the point Pip is making is he was the fore runner. James has said growing up he patterned his game after Pip's. Hill came after Pip. And yes, Pip is one of the greatest on ball defenders to ever play. Ever. He didn't say he was better than James. But you can see Scottie's game in Jame's game. It's the right comp.

He's a superior version that's less successful.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:06 pm 

Nas wrote:

Mark Aquirre. In a pickup/playground game he was unbelievable with his speed and size.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:07 pm 

Then again, Magic was no slouch either. On second thought, my first pick would be Buck.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:17 pm 

No Clever Moniker wrote:
Nas wrote:

Mark Aquirre. In a pickup/playground game he was unbelievable with his speed and size.

Mark Aguirre particularly the Mavs version was one of the most underrated/under appreciated players of his era. That franchise was garbage and became contenders after he arrived. Their downward spiral occurred after they traded him. He was the epitome of a" tough cover".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:25 pm 

Nas wrote:

after the injuries

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:

after the injuries

Yes. Injuries are part of who a guy is, but before Harper got hurt I don't see how you could say Pippen was a better player. Harper had a real good run at the beginning of his career.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:51 pm 

The biggest deficiency in Scottie Pippen's game was always his inability to create off the dribble. If you are going to be the "guy" you have to be able to do that. I always believed that to be the reason that Phil called the play for Kukoc and not he. Kukoc was a better shot creator than Pippen and that's why the play was called for him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:48 pm 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:

after the injuries

Yes. Injuries are part of who a guy is, but before Harper got hurt I don't see how you could say Pippen was a better player. Harper had a real good run at the beginning of his career.

Stop it!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:50 pm 
100000 CLUB

long time guy wrote:
The biggest deficiency in Scottie Pippen's game was always his inability to create off the dribble. If you are going to be the "guy" you have to be able to do that. I always believed that to be the reason that Phil called the play for Kukoc and not he. Kukoc was a better shot creator than Pippen and that's why the play was called for him.

It was 1.8 seconds left. There was no shot creating. You get the ball to the guy that carried your team. Scottie could create his own shot. He just wasn't a good shooter.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:10 pm 

Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:

It was 1.8 seconds left. There was no shot creating. You get the ball to the guy that carried your team. Scottie could create his own shot. He just wasn't a good shooter.

I watched Pippen's career from the time he entered to the time he left I can't remember a time in which he hit a game winner or even what you would consider a big shot. He played with Jordan and that had a lot to do with it, but you figured that there would be a signature offensive moment considering all the big games he was involved in. I'm sure he hit one but it doesn't jump out at you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:

after the injuries

Stop it!

I don't think you remember how good he was in Cleveland. The guy was headed to the Hall of Fame before he got hurt. Okay, that happens to a lot of guys. But the fact is Harper was a lead go-to guy on a really good team in 1989, a premium scorer with an all around game. if you remember it different, you're remembering wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:05 pm 

pizza_Place: my house
Jordan said before Harper go hurt playing against him was like playing against a mirror. Harper was great.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:11 pm 

Had to step away hence a previous response:

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:

after the injuries

My problem with injuries and the "what if" is that we start giving more credit to what could/should/would have been. Harp was the original "Ohio" guy who became an all-star and franchise face (Clippers). Today's medecine could have made a difference post-injury.

You know: This is like a barbershop debate as to who would have, IF, and Then. Harp was the face of Clippers except he got hurt, he wasn't telegenic (stuttered) and he worked for D. Sterling. He wasn't the same Harp in his first season learning the "Triangle" , or coming off his injury.

When Jordan returned he was healthy, understood the offense, and most importantly was the big defensive guard that Pheel wanted on the point. The first three-peat featured defense from the inside out, the second featured defense from the point. Harp, Scottie, MJ could defend on the ball.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:04 pm 

In 1989 Ron Harper was arguably the third best 2 guard in the game. Only Jordan and Drexler were better in my opinion. Dumars was in the conversation but Harper was better.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:14 am 
Site Admin

No Clever Moniker wrote:
My problem with injuries and the "what if" is that we start giving more credit to what could/should/would have been.

Of course. There's always the mystique of "what he could have been." Like I said, a player can't be separated from his injuries. I'm not going to tell you Harper's body of work is better than Scottie's. It's obviously not. But I could never say that Scottie at his best was better than Harper at his.

Back to "what might have been", it's funny. If Kershaw couldn't pitch anymore after tomorrow, his career would look a lot like Koufax's. But he'll more likely decline and probably end up looking like Johan Santana. What was going to happen next isn't usually great.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:24 am 
100000 CLUB

Ron Harper's best wasn't as good as Scottie's. Bulls fans underrate Scottie because somehow if he gets credit for being one of the all time greats it would knock Jordan down a rung or 2 and that can't happen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next