It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Great American
MattInTheCrown wrote:
Godfella wrote:
Snapper is difficult to dislike which made some of his flaws easier to accept. He is one of those rare personalities that transcends to many different demographics - much like Buffone did.

The thing about Mannelly is, sure, he was bad. But his badness was mostly badness of omission; he didn't bring much energy or many compelling thoughts or takes. Goff's badness is badness of commission: he's flagrantly annoying pretty much at all times. So neither show was a good listen, but if you mainly want background noise and an occasional sports-take, the Grimmace and Snapper show at least wouldn't constantly piss you off. This clap-n-slap fest now, good god...

This pretty much sums up my feelings on ESPN 1000. Not good, but not as bad as the alternative.

Mac FM wrote:
Did somebody say grass?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
I still think Giggles and Grimace are some sort of twisted revenge against Mac.

Fuck you Mac, we can put this fingernails on a chalkboard show on and make the same revenue as before.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Great American
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:

I'm shocked you'd see that angle. :lol:

Mac FM wrote:
Did somebody say grass?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Councilman Les Whinen wrote:
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:

I'm shocked you'd see that angle. :lol:

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Scorehead wrote:
Some off the best have not been educated.

Well said.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Mac and Meat was worse than the two shows mentioned in the title IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:43 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:

Well, your opinion is wrong, and you're going to die penniless and alone and 5 pounds overweight.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:46 pm 

pizza_Place: J.B. Alberto's
MattInTheCrown wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Well, your opinion is wrong, and you're going to die penniless and alone and 5 pounds overweight.

I'd settle for 2 out of those 3.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:35 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
MattInTheCrown wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I don't really get why people romanticize Mac and Spiegs compared to what's been on since. The show was never any good, not at the start and not at the end, and the complaints directed at Goff and Spiegs about boring non-sports talk regarding their personal lives applied just as much when Mac was there. Heck most of the time there was a fill-in working with either of the two, be it Goff, Oak Park Vandy, Rozner, Finfer, or even Holmes, the show discussion threads would fill up with comments that that day's particular team was superior to the normal duo.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:45 am 

ZephMarshack wrote:
MattInTheCrown wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I don't really get why people romanticize Mac and Spiegs compared to what's been on since. The show was never any good, not at the start and not at the end, and the complaints directed at Goff and Spiegs about boring non-sports talk regarding their personal lives applied just as much when Mac was there. Heck most of the time there was a fill-in working with either of the two, be it Goff, Oak Park Vandy, Rozner, Finfer, or even Holmes, the show discussion threads would fill up with comments that that day's particular team was superior to the normal duo.

It wasn't good, it just wasn't this bad. You're right about Mac's attendance, however. But even the fill-ins are better than Goff.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
I think Jason can be better, but he hasn't been set up to succeed with Spiegel's expiring contract.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:22 pm 

Are you suggesting a better co-host would elevate Goff's ability to win listeners? What type of co-host? Because I don't see Spiegel holding him down by allowing himself to giggle while being steamrolled.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:35 pm 

No Clever Moniker wrote:
Are you suggesting a better co-host would elevate Goff's ability to win listeners? What type of co-host? Because I don't see Spiegel holding him down by allowing himself to giggle while being steamrolled.

I could see Goff improving if he was paired with someone motivated more to drive the show, thus having Goff STFU once in a while.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:42 pm 

I would see that first as a war of wills, and then devloving into a bunch of snide comments under the guise of "ball busting." When he was in Atlanta he started out the same way as here, and his partner was soon removed. I just don't think he has the necessary self-awareness to want to be better or to allow a partner to help elevate him.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Curious Hair wrote:
I think Jason can be better, but he hasn't been set up to succeed with Spiegel's expiring contract.

Goff is the Gordon Beckham of talk sports........a never was :(

I'm out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:31 pm 

No Clever Moniker wrote:
I would see that first as a war of wills, and then devloving into a bunch of snide comments under the guise of "ball busting." When he was in Atlanta he started out the same way as here, and his partner was soon removed. I just don't think he has the necessary self-awareness to want to be better or to allow a partner to help elevate him.

probably true. He's confident without the actual proficiency to back it up.

How much would be improved if he simply remembered this is an audio medium. I'm guessing nobody cares enough to tell him the clap/slap/pound/giggle literally sounds bad, nor would Jason heed their words ('nah I'm good').

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Bacino's
Probably my biggest problem with the show is the complete lack of actual, focused sports talk. They allow themselves to get sidetracked for entire segments of the show on things that are pointless and unfunny (though you wouldn't know it by the amount of laughter in the studio).

And you'd think that interviews would give them a chance to finally hone in on something, but then half the segment is taken up by Goff talking to himself during a 175 word preamble to a question that never arrives.

How have they not realized that there are problems with the show? How has no one brought this up to them?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Daniel Plainview wrote:

How have they not realized that there are problems with the show? How has no one brought this up to them?

literally no one cares

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Giggles needs a partner who says "What are you laughing about?"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:32 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Daniel Plainview wrote:
Probably my biggest problem with the show is the complete lack of actual, focused sports talk. They allow themselves to get sidetracked for entire segments of the show on things that are pointless and unfunny (though you wouldn't know it by the amount of laughter in the studio).

And you'd think that interviews would give them a chance to finally hone in on something, but then half the segment is taken up by Goff talking to himself during a 175 word preamble to a question that never arrives.

Working @ the Score is like being a White Sox employee, haven't been in good in a decade and you have a job for life ..even if ya suck @ it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: Gigio's in Des Plaines
The key component of this shit is supposed to be comedic value. I know a lot of you guys despise B&B because they make fun of you when you call the show, but they're undeniably hilarious. Spiegel & Goff couldn't bring the comedy if their lives depended on it. That's the primary reason why their show is unlistenable. There's a whole lot of laughing going on, but nothing funny is actually being said.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchi's
Worst day was when they announced Goff was coming back. Had the oppourtunity to bring in someone big time and they brought in a retread who talks about getting his haircut every show or what hes doing at his "crib"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Jobu
I had this show on for a couple of minutes today. My goodness, it is really bad. In fact, it is impossible to listen to.

1999-2000-2009
----------
XXI - XXV - XLII - XLVI