It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:17 pm 

I find it amazing that Julie has not once tweeted ( she might have mentioned it on air, but I doubt it) regarding the Sheryl Swopes on goings at loyola. Since Shannon Ryan wrote about it three months, Ryan is the only one who has follow ed up. Huge double standard when you want to talk about the bad boys and their disrespectful acts toward others, but never on women doing it? Or perhaps that no one follows it - and you won't get noticed of you follow women's sports, and only if you try to bait people?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Franky T wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
This is just dumb. She has no formal training and a very poor resume to be deserving of a spot as a radio host. If she had went to journalism school and worked her way up then maybe. From what I can tell, she one day "decided" she didn't want to be a lawyer and instead wanted to be a sports talk person and she's been handed a bunch of undeserved jobs in radio over many other people both male and female that actually have worked their way towards it.

Add in the fact that her brand seems to be openly and stubbornly antagonistic to pretty much everyone who listens to The Score and she is lucky she even has her job.

Mike Florio decided he didn't want to be a lawyer and instead wanted to be a sports talk person. He went out, made a bunch of contacts, and busted his ass writing his blog for years before being able to quit the law and do what he wanted.

Contrast that to the way Julie is going about trying to get a hosting gig.

You don't get it bro. He was able to do that because HE'S A MAN!!!!

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
And what is so wrong with a sub-set (sports talk) of a sub-set (talk radio) of a business (radio) being dominated by men? What is inherently wrong about that, and why does it need to be "fixed"? I'm not talking about the Dino Costa's of the world ("women have no place in sports talk radio"), and I'm not advocating actively denying women a chance in front of the mic because they are women, but Christ almighty, men hosting sports talk shows is not a systemic injustice in modern society, there is literally no problem with it, that I can see.

Quote:
"Sports radio is sort of the last bastion of the bro, frat-boy culture," said Julie DiCaro

Again, what the hell is the problem with this?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
What is a contact reporter?

I wondered that as well when seeing it next to other Trib columnists...apparently it's not a title but just a link to send the writer an e-mail.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:24 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
yeah, a lil while ago when i finally got around to unrolling today's trib and saw the front page i was compelled to come here:

THIS IS FRONT PAGE NEWS IN CHICAGO TODAY. AGAIN IT'S FRONT PAGE NEWS! WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK?!?!!

you know, i'm pretty convinced that the media is actively trying to do some shit where it convinces you that you're racist/misogynist/bigoted in much the same way george carlin used to get you to look at yourself like "oh shit i actually do that" when he'd harp on the little random proclivities that you often overlook in your day-to-day quest to be a human being. for whatever reason/s (and without speculating to any possible endgames) it's like the media wants to try and convince us that we're all SECRETLY racist/misogynist/bigoted and therefore we better listen to what these champions of race/feminism/tolerance have to say, and go figure that this shit is way too often some kind of kooky virtiolic shit that seems to ironically preach some kind of hatred of, welp, straight white males (as that will fit the racism/misogyny/bigotry's antithesis boxes) cuz it's like by going around and living my day to day life without thinking racist/misogynist/bigoted things i'm in some sort of denial that i'm ACTUALLY racist/misogynist/bigoted, probably because of some form of "straight CISgender white male privilege" that has likely masked me from reality since the moment daddy's condom broke and i was well on my way to ruining the first 2 lives out of countess lives i would go on to ruin.

with THIS article you see the sub-headline of "medium 'last bastion' of bro, frat-boy culture" and that just pissed me off so damn much i dont want to read it because i basically know where this is going. i've read this article 50+ times in the past no-doubt. to use the parlance of our times i think that BRO, FRAT-BOY CULTURE is some kind of a "Strawman", or an imaginary [subject]/[target] that ppl cook up with to epitomize all of their rage/righteousness/whatever and lash out against. in this case from all i've read over the years i can assume that BRO, FRAT-BOY CULTURE is some kind of "toxic masculinity" that is inherently sexist/misogynist, prolly racist, and definitely bigoted... AND PROPUD OF IT! no doubt this BRO, FRAT-BOY CULTURE is responsible for a big ol chunk of THE RAPE CULTURE(TM) that's supposedly just lurking all over every college campus in america cuz all of these overprivileged white males show up and see all these young attractive females and they dont just WANT "IT", they DEMAND "IT", AND BY CRACKY THEY'RE GONNA GET "IT", and of course that toxic BRO, FRAT-BOY CULTURE champions such behavior as "boys being boys" and all kinds of other strawmannish (think of the inherent sexism of just saying straw*man*, why not strawPERSON akin to george carlin's "late night with david letterPERSON" joke) bullshit that just makes me wanna cringe because, again, it's like this article is one of many that's on a quest to convince me that i'm no doubt part of this abominable strawman because my straight-white-male-prvilege shields me from the very real reality that only ppl like "them" can tell me about.

you know, call me old fashioned but i never thought it was a big deal to have a woman/minority/any-minority-denomination in/around any sort of media or location/place/etc in life.... you know if i hear a woman talking sports on the radio or there's a black guy in front of me at a barrington starbucks ordering some kind of $5-6 latte; it's not like this registers as OMFG WTF THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HAPPENING!!!!! yet when you read articles like this they cant help but make a big deal of stuff like YES, THIS IS WOMEN TAKING ABOUT SPORTS AND ALL THE GUYS HATE IT BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT SPORTS TALK WAS "THEIR" MEDIUM AND THEIR SPECIAL "BOYS-ONLY-CLUB" WHERE THEY CAN PROUDLY DISPLAY THE "NO GIRLS ALLOWED" SIGN ON THE ENTRANCE TO THEIR TREEHOUSE!!!!! --- and it's just like wtf?!?!

seriously you know what else a "boys-only-club" is called? a sausage fest. and even tho i dont wanna have any and all str8 cisgender privilege shadow me from the possibility of my being wrong here, but growing up there was always a negative connotation to "sausage fest" cuz IT'S PRETTY MUCH ALWAYS WAY BETTER TO HAVE WOMEN AROUND/INVOLVED/ETC. i mean seriously is there anyone here who doesnt want women to be around all the stuff that they're into? there's still a pretty decent %age of the male population that's hardwired to find women some kind of desirable (as you know, our species has a built-in-desire to perpetuate itself) and whether it's music media sports tv writing or anything, shit, i really don't mind and sometimes would actually PREFER women to be involved in breaking up any potential-sausage-fest because I FIND WOMEN DESIRABLE ON A PRIMORDIAL LEVEL. i know i'm likely some kind of sexist/bigoted for admitting that, but i blame biology and some kind of primordial-animal/human instinct for that.... BUT there is indeed one caveat to all this:

I DON'T WANT TO HAVE THE WHOLE "OMFG I'M A WOMAN!!!!" THING SHOVED IN MY FACE AT EVERY POSSIBLE SECOND. especially when you factor in the connotations of doing that ("you hate women and you don't want them here so we're going to make sure you know WE'RE HERE AND WE'RE QUEER AND WE'RE NOT GOING ANYWHERE!!!!" ---woops wrong movement but still the same general idea =)

seriously, i know it's fashionable for ppl writing about feminism/gender-stuff-relating-to-women nowadays to use this strawman of BRO, FRAT-BOY CULTURE aka TOXIC MASCULINITY as some kind of an effigy to be perpetually admonished as being THE ENEMY in much the same way that hitler is was and forever will be ingrained in everyone's heads as THE ENEMY for as long as society continues on (hence trump being compared to "uncle adolf" and etc etc) --- i mean, am i some kind of idealist for just wishing that we could get on with our lives having women/minories/LGBTs all around everywhere doing their thing without having to have their different-status constantly dangled/shoved in my face as a way of castigating me for being the same gender/skin-color as the strawman/strawmen who are being used as that effigy/pinyata/etc to beat up on to help add some !!!s to the cause?

look if i said that women have no business talking sports because they're dumb shallow vain materialistic self-absorbed Caller Bobs who can't get over themselves long enough to realize that there's a whole world of stuff going on that, NEWS FLASH HONEY, DOESN'T HAVE ANY DESIRE TO FUCK YOU, or if i said that i'd be pissed off if a black family moved in on my block because

Steve from the 'hurst wrote:
black ppl are more often than not fatherless thugs who grow up with no role models and thus morals and promote degeneracy through their hip hop culture and have a propensity to commit crimes because look up the statistics, that's just what black people do and therefore my studies show that i'd be a hell of a lot safer with them somewhere over there, like you know AFRICA over there

well then, aren't those two examples (again plz know i'm making hypothetical STRAWMAN type examples there) really the same thing as saying that WHITE GUYS are born and raised in an overprivileged BRO, FRAT-BOY culture that teaches them that they're "the proper citizens" who SHOULD enjoy things such as not getting pulled over for being white, or being let off of crimes with lesser (if any) punishments while they promote a RAPE CULTURE because they know that women are just objects for them to stick their dicks in so if they do enough such as paying for a $100 dinner b4 going to a $50/ticket concert and drinking expensive liquor and/or smoking expensive weed all night, just like we have for the last 3-4 dates MAN they BETTER put out because they owe me something for all the $$$ and chivalry i've put out there, and by cracky if they aren't forthcoming with it i'm gonna get em drunk at this college party later and "take what they owe" because i know i'm white and i have no prior arrests so hopefully i get a nice white judge who looks at me and sees himself and realizes "he's a good ol boy, just getting into trouble like all good ol boys do, so imma let him off with 6 months supervision cuz he's never been arrested b4 and this aint him!" --- and then on the way home from winning my court case I BETTER NOT HEAR ANY BITCHES HOES OR Caller Bobs ON MY BOYS CLUB RADIO, cuz a woman has exactly 2-3 places: in the kitchen, in my bedroom, and on these nuts you know what i'm saying bro?!? *turns and oscillates and gets high fives from 3-4 guys with backward caps and sleeveless t-shirts who punctuate their stylish slaps with YEAH BRO!!! PREACH THAT WORD!!!!" and then i say "man you know what, i just beat some date rape charges cuz unlike those [black ppl] WE STOP THE WHITE ON WHITE VIOLENCE IN OUR COMMUNITY.... THAT'S WHY WE HAVE GATES! so let's throw a kegger tonight and do up some schlitz and schlutz and charge up our phones so we can tape their walks of shame in the morning and add them to the collection in our privatete subreddit! YEAH BROOOO!!!!!!!

AHEM. TLDR = isn't that last paragraph just as strawman as that stuff about women and that stuff about black ppl? isnt saying that BRO, FRAT-BOY culture is misogynist the same thing as saying that women are stupid when it comes to sports and don't belong? i just dont get how you can ostensibly fight a stereotyping/generalization by offering up another stereotyping/generalization of a strawman, except this is one is bad cuz >MUH TOXIC MASCULINITY AKA BRO, FRAT-BOY CULTURE....

...and well, let's be honest, this one is bad cuz it's on the front page of the trib and my rebuttal is just buried on page 5 of the ex-CSFMB waiting to be read by 3-7 ppl who aren't put off by the fact that sir talkstoomich, esq has a propensity to get pissed off and write actual paragraphs AT HIS OWN DETRIMENT cuz holy shit i missed the 605pm first pitches writing this stuff and i hope i have a full fantasy team tonight..... unlike women cuz they're more worried if tonight's the night they start bleeding for 4-5 days and yet don't die, AMIRITE BROS?! LOLOL *HIGH-5* AND THAT'S WHY WE'RE FOREVER BROS B4 HOES!!!! BACK TO THE KITCHEN DICARO/RYAN AND CALL IT A HUNCH YOU KNOW YOUR WAY AROUND A KITCHEN AMIRITE BROS?! TROLOLOLOLO!!!!!!

Ed Mcmahon wrote:
HIYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
sinicalypse wrote:
you know what else a "boys-only-club" is called? a sausage fest. and even tho i dont wanna have any and all str8 cisgender privilege shadow me from the possibility of my being wrong here, but growing up there was always a negative connotation to "sausage fest" cuz IT'S PRETTY MUCH ALWAYS WAY BETTER TO HAVE WOMEN AROUND/INVOLVED/ETC. i mean seriously is there anyone here who doesnt want women to be around all the stuff that they're into? there's still a pretty decent %age of the male population that's hardwired to find women some kind of desirable (as you know, our species has a built-in-desire to perpetuate itself) and whether it's music media sports tv writing or anything, shit, i really don't mind and sometimes would actually PREFER women to be involved in breaking up any potential-sausage-fest because I FIND WOMEN DESIRABLE ON A PRIMORDIAL LEVEL.

Quoting the crux of the biscuit to make sure other people get it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:08 pm 

Sports radio is a bro, frat-boy culture? :lol: It's more of a haven for unkempt and unwashed stat and trivia blowhards with a penchant for Asperger's and self-loathing. Throw in a couple of neckbeard white knight outrage miners and you have WSCR's daily lineup.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:32 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
What is a contact reporter?

I wondered that as well when seeing it next to other Trib columnists...apparently it's not a title but just a link to send the writer an e-mail.

Ahhhh. I thought they just misspelled contract reporter - which I thought was a weird title anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:35 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:
you know what else a "boys-only-club" is called? a sausage fest. and even tho i dont wanna have any and all str8 cisgender privilege shadow me from the possibility of my being wrong here, but growing up there was always a negative connotation to "sausage fest" cuz IT'S PRETTY MUCH ALWAYS WAY BETTER TO HAVE WOMEN AROUND/INVOLVED/ETC. i mean seriously is there anyone here who doesnt want women to be around all the stuff that they're into? there's still a pretty decent %age of the male population that's hardwired to find women some kind of desirable (as you know, our species has a built-in-desire to perpetuate itself) and whether it's music media sports tv writing or anything, shit, i really don't mind and sometimes would actually PREFER women to be involved in breaking up any potential-sausage-fest because I FIND WOMEN DESIRABLE ON A PRIMORDIAL LEVEL.

Quoting the crux of the biscuit to make sure other people get it.

Thanks. Can you expand your role around here to the guy who reads all of sini's posts and quotes the crux of it for us?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Braconi's
denisdman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
It really should be questioned how an update person can become a lightning rod for critics at the station.

You cannot name another update person in the 25 year history of the station who was a lightning rod.

I think Icegirl might disagree. :lol:

Oh Drinky has a lightning rod in his pants....Icegirl, do tell.

Oh boy. Yikety.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:15 pm 

IceGirl wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
It really should be questioned how an update person can become a lightning rod for critics at the station.

You cannot name another update person in the 25 year history of the station who was a lightning rod.

I think Icegirl might disagree. :lol:

Oh Drinky has a lightning rod in his pants....Icegirl, do tell.

Oh boy. Yikety.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
She states that she believes there's an untapped group of potential listeners. Isn't content determined by ratings and especially in sports talk a key demographic such as males between 25 and 57 (or somewhere along those lines). Does she not listen to the commercials played on the station she is a part of? She is begging for sympathy from a group that is largely not sympathetic to her plight. She is trying to serve vegan at a steak place and is mad that the customers don't want what she is serving.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Considering your post, Julie may be making the same mistake Air America made, which is to believe that your target audience, which does exist, wants to be reached and engaged with in the same way another parallel audience does. Did liberals want political talk radio? Yes, but they weren't the same people as conservatives, so they listened to NPR or podcasts. Creating a facsimile of conservative talk while doing nothing else but flipping the script was destined to fail and did. There are lots of women talking sports on blogs, boards, podcasts, and Twitter, and I don't suppose it's entirely because they can't listen to women on AM radio but perhaps because for all the talk of what a horrific minefield the internet is for women, being able to have dialogues with people about stuff you like without going through dipshit board-ops and know-it-all hosts is a fairer and more fun platform. We all know girls who like sports, but can we imagine them tuning in to 670 to hear Julie DiCaro follow the Score/Bernstein playbook of "this is what I think and if you disagree you're wrong"? I don't even know how you guys still do it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
hmmmm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Harvard Dan wrote:
She states that she believes there's an untapped group of potential listeners. Isn't content determined by ratings and especially in sports talk a key demographic such as males between 25 and 57 (or somewhere along those lines). Does she not listen to the commercials played on the station she is a part of? She is begging for sympathy from a group that is largely not sympathetic to her plight. She is trying to serve vegan at a steak place and is mad that the customers don't want what she is serving.

I would suggest that if this were the case, her podcast would fill that need to a large extent, but I don't see an outpouring of consumers wanting that. Of course, she will complain that nobody listens to her podcasts because the Score won't pay for billboards advertising them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:25 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
newper wrote:
Harvard Dan wrote:

I would suggest that if this were the case, her podcast would fill that need to a large extent, but I don't see an outpouring of consumers wanting that. Of course, she will complain that nobody listens to her podcasts because the Score won't pay for billboards advertising them.

Nobody listens to her podcasts because they are poorly-produced on a platform nobody cares about (though it has good ideas/intentions).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:23 am 

someone tell JDC what to think about chick flicks and book of the month wine clubs, because it's the last bastion of femininity that doesn't allow men nor cares for their opinions.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:33 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
She works for a station advertising (or has advertised) strip clubs and tent popping enhancers as well as baldness. When there are tampon spots she would have a point.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:13 am 

pizza_Place: Fasano's
Spaulding wrote:
hmmmm

Can we get a woman's point of view. Are we all sexist pigs?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:23 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
leashyourkids wrote:
Do women ever complain that there aren't enough female garbage collectors?

There is one in my neighborhood. She clears the recycling bins.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:35 am 

pizza_Place: Pat's Pizza
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
newper wrote:
Harvard Dan wrote:

Nobody listens to her podcasts because they are poorly-produced on a platform nobody cares about (though it has good ideas/intentions).

I listen to her podcasts. I think she's great.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:40 am 

You're not off to a good start here .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:45 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Hypnic Jerk wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
newper wrote:
Harvard Dan wrote:

I listen to her podcasts. I think she's great.

DOES. NOT. HAPPEN.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Olandos
I have been following along on many of these boards for a very long time, and this is the first time I find myself compelled to register and reply to a thread. Julie's plight is fascinating to me because I am a woman and have been a sports fan for a very long time. I have listened to sports radio, and specifically the Score, dating all the way back to the 820 days. I tried, really tried, to be on her side, but ultimately I can't. The quality of her update reads is poor, she offers little to no actual sports insight, and she comes off as arrogant and entitled.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
northside wrote:
I have been following along on many of these boards for a very long time, and this is the first time I find myself compelled to register and reply to a thread. Julie's plight is fascinating to me because I am a woman and have been a sports fan for a very long time. I have listened to sports radio, and specifically the Score, dating all the way back to the 820 days. I tried, really tried, to be on her side, but ultimately I can't. The quality of her update reads is poor, she offers little to no actual sports insight, and she comes off as arrogant and entitled.

This post is too perfect, you can retire as champion of CFMB - JDC division

Last edited by billypootons on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:46 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
northside wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:49 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
didea wrote:
I find it amazing that Julie has not once tweeted ( she might have mentioned it on air, but I doubt it) regarding the Sheryl Swopes on goings at loyola. Since Shannon Ryan wrote about it three months, Ryan is the only one who has follow ed up. Huge double standard when you want to talk about the bad boys and their disrespectful acts toward others, but never on women doing it? Or perhaps that no one follows it - and you won't get noticed of you follow women's sports, and only if you try to bait people?

That's an interesting topic. I resent that the media pretty much ignores horse racing unless something bad happens. If it's not worth covering the big and important events, why is it worth covering the scandals? I have no problem with limited or no coverage of Swoopes and I don't think the Loyola's women's team deserves coverage either. No one cares unless you have a friend or family member on the team.

But editors drive the coverage and it's based on what they care about. Fifty years ago they all bet horses. That got covered. Nowadays, a guy is likely to have a daughter who plays volleyball or soccer in high school, so that gets covered. And I guarantee there are far more people interested in the result of the Ohio Derby than whether the girl's tennis team at Hinsdale Central won their sectional.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
northside wrote:

If you can win at message board posting, you just did. You're batting 1.000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:15 am 

denisdman wrote:
northside wrote:

If you can win at message board posting, you just did. You're batting 1.000

Now make a Twitter account and tell her this. Especially coming from a female.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: Olandos
Quote:
Now make a Twitter account and tell her this. Especially coming from a female.

Whenever a woman dares to challenge her opinion on Twitter, she simply disregards us as Patrick Kane fangirls.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next