Total votes : 35
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:14 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
polish sausage = delicious

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

I say skip some of the American Presidents if you have a tight curriculum. Like Ulysses S. Grant. He was a raging drunk anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

I like some of the Polish food traditions. I'll uphold them for my kids. It's really just for Christmas and Easter for our family.

I'm hoping to avoid the Polish tradition of sticking a wet finger in an electrical outlet. That's taken 5 lives in every generation of my dad's side of the family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:12 am 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Garret A. Morgan was on the first season of SNL.

A. Philip Randolph is the manager of the Mets.

Take that ignorance!

To all the white US Americans, Europe never closes, feel free to go back anytime you want.

I did work today, but still had time to listen and reflect on the message of Dr. King and the struggle that still lies ahead.

Seen that some people out there want MLK day to be April 4.

What kind of crazies celebrate the day someone is killed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:40 am 

pizza_Place: Oven Grinders
Kid & Nas, I figured as much to get an angered response. The name calling is a little childish, is it not? Regardless, I wasn't out to offend and I'm sorry if I did so.

The whole approach to educate the American public through a nationally recognized month is just crazy. WTF is July going to become multiplication month? The better course of action would have been to push stronger education on black contribution to society in grade school through college. Mixed in with our normal curriculum as if black contribution was just as normal & necessary as was anyone else's.

IMO in this modern era holding on to national heritage is more harmful to this country then helpful. For example I have to press #1 to hear fucking English? WTF is that shit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:44 am 

Thug wrote:

IMO in this modern era holding on to national heritage is more harmful to this country then helpful. For example I have to press #1 to hear fucking English? WTF is that shit?

That's true. It should be press #1 for Lakota, #2 for Iroquois, #3 for Cherokee, #4 for Navajo, #5 for Apache, #6 for Pueblo, #7 for Blackfeet, and oh...#8 for English... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:50 am 

Kid Cairo wrote:
What do Joe Morgan and Bryant Gumbel think about all this?

Bryant Gumbel wrote:

It would appear that race is an ongoing issue apparently still in these continental United States, and that issue isn't going away, rather, it would appear.

Joe Morgan wrote:

Well one thing you have to realize is that race is something that is always going to be an issue when it comes to baseball. But race issues have come up recently that have made baseball an even better game, such as the Wild Card race. What you have here is, you have a system that, when put in place back in the days of the Machine, would have made it more difficult for superior players such as myself and others on my team to make hall of fame plays. For instance, a triple play, which we were the only team that could use the term 'routine' when speaking of it, would be much harder in a wild card race because there is a measure of hungerality that must be accounted for. So, we still would have won the world series, I would still make the hall of fame--but we most likely would have been given more of a place in world history because our greatness would have been that much higher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:46 am 

W_Z wrote:
Thug wrote:

That's true. It should be press #1 for Lakota, #2 for Iroquois, #3 for Cherokee, #4 for Navajo, #5 for Apache, #6 for Pueblo, #7 for Blackfeet, and oh...#8 for English... :wink:

You forgot #1 for caveman 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 am 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Nas wrote:
[Factual history. Children of every ethnic group should know the true impact that had on building this country and the rest of the world. They shouldn't to go search for the truth. Of course that would cost millions of dollars because they would have to rewrite all the bullshit that is being taught now.

This is very true on all accounts. When I was a Junior, my H.S. changed their curriculum for US History and US Lit, so that it was thematic, instead of talking about things from the revolutionary war until they ran out of time, the courses looked at history/lit from a thematic perspective (puritanism and it's lasting effect, manifest destiny, civil rights (minority and the under looked aspect: gender), war...etc. ). I liked this approach because we talked about a variety things and got new perspective sacrificing the old and idiotic way of approaching history (I am more interested in learning the causes of the war of 1812 and not the dates of important battles in the war of 1812).

As a side note, my favorite history class in College was a course dedicated to the 1960s (really 1955-1975ish) and if focused on the civil rights movement for a good month and what I found to be sad was that I was the only person in the course who had any high school education on the topic. The other students said their classes in H.S. "Ran out of time before we could learn about it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Wow this is the race baiter of all race baiter topics and it took me to nearly the 100th post to chime in.

It is clear that Thug is the "Mike North" of the board. Did anyone hear North this morning say that in his opinion that MLK was more of a "dreamer" than anything else? And Fred was right there to agree??

Thug said something else a few weeks ago that made me raise my eyebrows but I left it alone. I'm going to go back to see if I find it. Thug sounds like the kind of person that would say "Why is there a Black Entertainment Television channel and not a White Entertainment TV channel?" (Not that I watch BET anyway)

F Coztansa's opinion sounds jaded from all of those ghetto people he has to deal with at the Radio Shack.

Its 2008 people. I guess some of us are still stuck in 1958.

I'm not the biggest 2 pac fan, but when he wanted to, he could make truly great songs, take these few lines from the song "Changes"..

I see no changes all I see is racist faces
misplaced hate makes disgrace to races
We under I wonder what it takes to make this
one better place, let's erase the wasted
Take the evil out the people they'll be acting right
'cause both black and white is smokin' crack tonight
and only time we chill is when we kill each other
it takes skill to be real, time to heal each other
And although it seems heaven sent
We ain't ready, to see a black President

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:06 am 

spmack wrote:
It is clear that Thug is the "Mike North" of the board. Did anyone hear North this morning say that in his opinion that MLK was more of a "dreamer" than anything else? And Fred was right there to agree??

Man, don't lump me in w/ North. #1 North is a tool & 2 I said at the start of this mess that MLK was a stud. I truly wish he had lived a full life and continued his pursuit. We'd all be better off if he had.

Click here to quick search my posts. I'd be interested to hear what tweaked you, spmack.

I thought 2008 people could speak logically on topics without fear of "political correctness". Let me know what I've said that's racist and NOT historical. My comment about having a black history month is not racist in nature. I agree with it's purpose, just not it's form of delivery (as in black history should be taught in school).

This is like the Jews that protested the "Passion of the Christ" because it showed Jews in a bad light. Or German's protesting "Saving Private Ryan". Talking about history doesn't make one a racist.

Last edited by Thug on Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:06 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Quote:
Wow this is the race baiter of all race baiter topics and it took me to nearly the 100th post to chime in.

Seriously, I asked who had to work yesterday. I agree the discussion turned into a clusterfuck but I don't see how the original topic was race baiting. I really was just curious who had to work yesterday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
spmack wrote:

Thug said something else a few weeks ago that made me raise my eyebrows but I left it alone. I'm going to go back to see if I find it. Thug sounds like the kind of person that would say "Why is there a Black Entertainment Television channel and not a White Entertainment TV channel?" (Not that I watch BET anyway)

F Coztansa's opinion sounds jaded from all of those ghetto people he has to deal with at the Radio Shack.

I'm not the biggest 2 pac fan, but when he wanted to, he could make truly great songs, take these few lines from the song "Changes"..

I see no changes all I see is racist faces
misplaced hate makes disgrace to races
We under I wonder what it takes to make this
one better place, let's erase the wasted
Take the evil out the people they'll be acting right
'cause both black and white is smokin' crack tonight
and only time we chill is when we kill each other
it takes skill to be real, time to heal each other
And although it seems heaven sent
We ain't ready, to see a black President

I dont like rap at all but Tupac is an unbelievable lyricist, one of the best imo.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:49 am 
1000 CLUB

Home5licE wrote:
Quote:

Seriously, I asked who had to work yesterday. I agree the discussion turned into a clusterfuck but I don't see how the original topic was race baiting. I really was just curious who had to work yesterday.

I worked and when I got home, our family project centered around MLK Jr. There are tons of sites on the web that help children understand hitorical figures like MLK Jr.

We read about him, did some coloring, and I had them watch the "I have a dream speech". Embarrasingly, I had never seen the whole thing. I had goose bumps the last several minutes.

My seven year old is starting to understand who he was and what he fought for. The "non-violent protests" sank in for him. The 5 year old watched the screen and asked me how many people were there. The younger two kept coloring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:56 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Baracco's
Your new avatar is rather captivating. I couldn't finish reading your post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Thug wrote:
The better course of action would have been to push stronger education on black contribution to society in grade school through college. Mixed in with our normal curriculum as if black contribution was just as normal & necessary as was anyone else's.

I do agree with you here Thug. Good point and I guess our education system is more to blame than anything.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:36 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
Somebody made a comment how my daughter has changed a lot in the last month. She has my eyes and nose but looks more like my husband. Which thrills her cuz she has a bug up her ass about my son being a spitting image of me. Then she went all Polish on our ass. I said my kids are American.

She also tries every C & E to get me to eat this awful kapusta stuff. It more or less smells like armpit and tastes like feet. I've almost said on more than 1 occasion the only Polish sausage I want in my mouth is the one that hangs between my husband's legs.

Apparently the crazed woman (redundant) your husband calls mom, regrets the fact that she did not raise him to be "more Polish" and is now trying to make up for it with your kids. Fear of death does that to people. It drives them to make good on their regrets before it's too late.

Bigos (or Polish Hunter Stew) isn't my favorite either.

Ease up Spaulding, the woman is most likely pissed that her baby didn't marry a nice Polish girl that she had picked out for him. You should be pissed at your husband for being a pussy and not telling his mother to back the fuck up. Tell him not to worry. His mother will see right through it and figure out that you put him up to it anyway :wink:

From experience, I know that the crazed Polish woman I call mom sometimes says some dumb shit to my wife. Luckily, my wife takes it all in stride, probably because her parents are pissed she didn't marry a Greek guy.

Now back to MLK day.
My 4 year old niece was explaining the holiday to my parents, when she was asked who MLK was.
Her answer: "the king of all the black people"
She's now 21 and still hears this story every time we get together. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: The Bowling alley, where else?
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The point of months like this are to raise awareness. There are probably 1000 of them out there.

September is National Potato Month.
December is Aids Awareness Month.

We have boss's day, secretary's day, mother's day, father's day, veteran's day, talk like a pirate day, system's administrator's day, and a thousand others.

We have little car magnet ribbons in all colors of the rainbow, including a rainbow colored one.

It's really just a way for people to get a certain message out and let people think about something they wouldn't normally think of.

I never have had a problem with any of them.

These are all designed by Hallmark make more money. How selfesh of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:06 pm 

Kid Cairo wrote:
Thug wrote:
The better course of action would have been to push stronger education on black contribution to society in grade school through college. Mixed in with our normal curriculum as if black contribution was just as normal & necessary as was anyone else's.

I do agree with you here Thug. Good point and I guess our education system is more to blame than anything.

As an aside, the next time that you come across a piece on elementary and secondary school textbooks give it a read. It is more than a little frightening when you consider the influence that fairly poor (but large, or collectively large) school districts have on textbook content and publishing. When you see the actual page counts of American history books from 1865 on but for WWI & WWII, it is more than a little shocking. For that matter, many southern districts still even mandate that the Civil War be referred to as the War Between the States, or the War of Northern Aggression. Labor, race, gender and the modern world in relation to the US are virtually ignored.

That Texas and the deep south have so much real influence helps in part to explain the deficiencies in much of public school education.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:14 pm 

pizza_Place: The Bowling alley, where else?
Home5licE wrote:
Quote:

I did not work and sat at home and watched "Gangs of New York" Now that is good education of American Histroy. Then I watched American History X.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:19 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Kid Cairo wrote:
Thug wrote:

As an aside, the next time that you come across a piece on elementary and secondary school textbooks give it a read. It is more than a little frightening when you consider the influence that fairly poor (but large, or collectively large) school districts have on textbook content and publishing. When you see the actual page counts of American history books from 1865 on but for WWI & WWII, it is more than a little shocking. For that matter, many southern districts still even mandate that the Civil War be referred to as the War Between the States, or the War of Northern Aggression. Labor, race, gender and the modern world in relation to the US are virtually ignored.

That Texas and the deep south have so much real influence helps in part to explain the deficiencies in much of public school education.

What's so civil about war anyway?

To be fair, many of the stories in my 3rd grader's reader are about native american tribes or characters, and the gingerbread man was baked by a family that looked like the Huxtables, not the Cleavers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:25 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
My 2nd grader has spent the past 2 weeks talking about "Martin". He was very excited to see a portrait of Martin Luther King Jr. in a building we were recently in. He talked about how he was shot with a gun and wanted to know why.

He told me out of the blue, "When Martin was a kid he couldn't be friends with other kids that didn't look like him". I think it's funny how he keeps referring to him as Martin like it's a kid he knows from school. He had a worksheet to color a picture of Martin.

I've been pretty impressed with how much time they have spent dealing with him and the issues he fought for - light years beyond when I was in school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
My 2nd grader has spent the past 2 weeks talking about "Martin".

He told me out of the blue, "When Martin was a kid he couldn't be friends with other kids that didn't look like him". I think it's funny how he keeps referring to him as Martin like it's a kid he knows from school. He had a worksheet to color a picture of Martin.

It's about time "Martin" got the respect he deserves...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
W_Z wrote:
Kid Cairo wrote:
What do Joe Morgan and Bryant Gumbel think about all this?

Bryant Gumbel wrote:

It would appear that race is an ongoing issue apparently still in these continental United States, and that issue isn't going away, rather, it would appear.

Joe Morgan wrote:

Well one thing you have to realize is that race is something that is always going to be an issue when it comes to baseball. But race issues have come up recently that have made baseball an even better game, such as the Wild Card race. What you have here is, you have a system that, when put in place back in the days of the Machine, would have made it more difficult for superior players such as myself and others on my team to make hall of fame plays. For instance, a triple play, which we were the only team that could use the term 'routine' when speaking of it, would be much harder in a wild card race because there is a measure of hungerality that must be accounted for. So, we still would have won the world series, I would still make the hall of fame--but we most likely would have been given more of a place in world history because our greatness would have been that much higher.

:lol: Thank you Zack. I just LOL'ed.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:58 pm 

Frankly, I need to re-read elementary school books. First because I can't remember crap from 10 minutes ago let alone a life time ago. And 2nd, I suck at "Are you smarter then a 5th grader?" (usually the 5th grade questions trip me up... so I'm only smarter then a 4th grader, technically :P)