It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Did you or will you vote today?
Poll ended at Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:35 am
Yes - I voted / will vote for the candidate I like 71%  71%  [ 24 ]
Yes - I voted / will vote for the other party just to screw with them 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
No - I didn't know it was today, but now that I know I will vote. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No - I never vote in the primary elections 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
What's it to you??? 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 34
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
bwfalcon wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Does anyone have any philosphies on voting when you have no idea about any of the candidates?

Have you learned nothing the last 5 months? Change is the most important thing. I think that means vote out all incumbents.

The only one that will work for for sure is George Walter Bush.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:31 pm 

Colonel Angus wrote:

Who is that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
bwfalcon wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:

Who is that?

See "Borat". :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:37 pm 

bwfalcon wrote:
I think that means vote out all incumbents.

I did that in '04. :lol:

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:37 pm 

Location: In a slightly better place than before each day I remember where I'm going
pizza_Place: My house. I make a good pizza according to my family. I'll take it.
Mustang Rob wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Mustang Rob wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Damn right I'm voting. There's a property tax referendum on this ballot.

Is that one of those referendums where the choices are:

1) yes - to increase taxes with your permission
2) no - to increase taxes without your permission

Basically, yeah, that's pretty much it. If they don't get their referendum, they just raise my assessment value.

The referendum should have been marked with the CSFMB approved cicle jerk emoticon :safe:

Was that CSFMB CJ emoticon voted upon and duly approved? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Oven Grinders
How many people were on the ballet you never heard of?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:15 pm 

Thug wrote:

Most of them.
The only one I would have known is that Baryshnikov fella.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:15 pm 

Thug wrote:

You mean in the ballet? And which one? I suspect most of us here haven't heard of most ballets.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Oven Grinders
Men and tights and politicians aren't they all the same?

Not really... BALLOT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:20 pm 

Location: In a slightly better place than before each day I remember where I'm going
pizza_Place: My house. I make a good pizza according to my family. I'll take it.
Here's what really sucks. I read that as ballot without a doubt.
Witness for the defense... dismissed. :oops: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

Why was John Edwards and other democrats still on the ballot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:51 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Why was John Edwards and other democrats still on the ballot?

I'm guessing it's cause they print the ballots and distribute them in advance, and count on the voters to know if their candidate dropped out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

Probably. But I'll bet that Edwards will still get 1% of the vote by stupid people who don't know he's out. Maybe more.

We live in a day of technology. Edwards and others have been out for weeks. Couldn't they have had new ballots printed last week and distributed by Super Tuesday?

Is it really that tough? Hell, millions of newspapers are printed and distributed daily in this country.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

I look for the polish canidate. If he's not there I vote against jews, women and blacks. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Mustang Rob wrote:
I'm guessing it's cause they print the ballots and distribute them in advance, and count on the voters to know if their candidate dropped out.

Rob...
c'mon.
seriously.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Beardown wrote:
Probably. But I'll bet that Edwards will still get 1% of the vote by stupid people who don't know he's out. Maybe more.

We live in a day of technology. Edwards and others have been out for weeks. Couldn't they have had new ballots printed last week and distributed by Super Tuesday?

Is it really that tough? Hell, millions of newspapers are printed and distributed daily in this country.

Why do you assume that votes for Edwards are the product of the "uninformed"? Couldn't it be that a vote for Edwards is an informed rejection of both Obama and Clinton, and the "audacious" deference to power that their candidacies collectively embody? Couldn't a vote for Edwards function as a message to the Democratic party that it needs to re-engage with its base instead of waging war on it? Couldn't a vote for Edwards be an informed embrace of the economic populism his campaign articulated?

I voted for Kucinich, by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

You're right Midget. I guess a vote for Edwards could be a protest vote. It's better than not voting at all I suppose.

Don't underestimate the stupid and uninformed. Some of the Edwards votes are by people who think he's still in the race.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:23 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
I voted for Kucinich, by the way.

Awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

Beardown wrote:
You're right Midget. I guess a vote for Edwards could be a protest vote. It's better than not voting at all I suppose.

Don't underestimate the stupid and uninformed. Some of the Edwards votes are by people who think he's still in the race.

I rather vote for something I want and not get it than vote for something I don't want and get it. I equate the latter option with a vote for Obama or Clinton. I do not want another four years of the "Washington Consensus".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Nas wrote:
Why even vote if you are going to vote for a guy that doesn't have a chance to win or has dropped out of a race? Does anyone really give a shit about your protest or did you just waste your time? Does it make you feel better that you voted for your guy/girl even though you really didn’t contribute to the outcome? Isn’t that essentially voting present or the same as not voting? I've never understood the logic behind that but would love to try to understand it.

Alot of that has to do with if you consider yourself an idealist or a realist. If you are a realist you do things based on material outcome and how practical the outcome is. An idealist would believe that this country was based on free election, and that we are free as people to vote for whoever we deem most fit, and voting for Kucinich would be more of representative of that freedom than voting for the status quo.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
Why even vote if you are going to vote for a guy that doesn't have a chance to win or has dropped out of a race? Does anyone really give a shit about your protest or did you just waste your time? Does it make you feel better that you voted for your guy/girl even though you really didn’t contribute to the outcome? Isn’t that essentially voting present or the same as not voting? I've never understood the logic behind that but would love to try to understand it.

Why would I vote for something that I oppose?

I am opposed to both a Clinton and an Obama presidency, and see little, if any difference between the two in their mutual deference to the Washington Consensus.

I will NEVER vote for either of them in a primary or a general election.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:

Alot of that has to do with if you consider yourself an idealist or a realist. If you are a realist you do things based on material outcome and how practical the outcome is. An idealist would believe that this country was based on free election, and that we are free as people to vote for whoever we deem most fit, and voting for Kucinich would be more of representative of that freedom than voting for the status quo.

There is always a so called lesser of two evils. I would rather vote for someone I didn't like then essentially not vote and have someone I hate get elected. Voting for someone that has no chance is similar to the reason people give for not voting at all.

I agree with you, I too am a realist.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:

There is always a so called lesser of two evils. I would rather vote for someone I didn't like then essentially not vote and have someone I hate get elected. Voting for someone that has no chance is similar to the reason people give for not voting at all.

Of course the old retort to this argument is that when you vote for the lesser of two evils, you're still voting for evil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Beardown wrote:

Very true. If one wishes to protest, nothing is accomplished by not voting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:

I agree with you, I too am a realist.

To me this argument is persuasive only to people who are politically detached or cynical. I spend a fair amount of time and energy working to change the current political order, and thus would never vote for something or someone that stands in direct opposition to the change that I want to see enacted.

If one is convinced that he or she cannot change the world around him, however, I can see the appeal of the "lesser of two evils" argument.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
Do you vote in the other elections? If so I'm sure there are people on the ballot that you don't know anything about or that you know very little about.

Actually, that's not true. I did a lot of research before voting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
A vote for Edwards is a vote against America.

Agreed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:03 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Just got back. Put my "I Voted" sticker on my guitar case.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:05 pm 

I enjoy not casting a vote for offices in which a person is unopposed, especially in my particular ward. The election judges love to treat it as if the ballot should not be counted, but that is not true. In reality, a good analyzer of an election with these circumstances can see that there is real discontent when there are valid ballots with no vote cast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
"A vote for Barack Obama is a vote for evil and satan!" - Alan Keyes

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"