It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108 ... 190  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:15 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
That happened to me once, T-Bone. I guess if they stick you and don't get a full bag it somehow goes against them so they do anything they can to fill it up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Franky T wrote:
That happened to me once, T-Bone. I guess if they stick you and don't get a full bag it somehow goes against them so they do anything they can to fill it up.

Yeah I’m pretty sure they didn’t get enough from me but I was done. I’ll go back early next year and try again. They have a blood center a mile from my work so I really have no excuse to help out.....unless it happens again

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I laughed at a commercial on the Score stream. Talking so highly about people donating plasma on the regular at some company for up to $400 in your first month. :lol: Poor people or drug habits?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Frank's blood type is B positive.

Let's all ruminate on that for a spell.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
That’s why I just bring my blood to them pre-packaged.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:54 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
KDdidit wrote:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
KDdidit wrote:

There was a horse trainer in Chicago back when I was racing named Bob Haddad. He trained a few for an acquaintance of mine who always sat near me in the clubhouse at Maywood Park named Trifecta Bob.

To set this story up I need to mention that in order for a harness horse in Illinois to qualify for Lasix, the horse has to bleed during a race as noted by the state veterinarian and then the horse must race in a qualifier on Lasix before entering a parimutuel race.

Anyway, one day Trifecta Bob and I were talking about one of his shitty horses and he told me that Haddad was planning on putting the horse on Lasix. I said, "Doesn't the horse have to bleed before he can do that?" And Trifecta Bob looked at me like I was a complete fucking moron and said, "Oh, I think Bob is just gonna use his own blood." :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
So, we had a babysitter booked for Saturday. We booked her 2 plus months ago. My wife works with her mom. She's been trying to confirm for the last 2 weeks that we were still good to go as it is my work Christmas party. She finally cancelled on us today. Fucking teenagers.

Thanks for the warning.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:19 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I have to use readers (not Readers) to read this site on my phone.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:45 am 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
pittmike wrote:
I laughed at a commercial on the Score stream. Talking so highly about people donating plasma on the regular at some company for up to $400 in your first month. :lol: Poor people or drug habits?

Maybe both. Or maybe normal people doing a good thing to help save lives and actually getting paid for it, so they don't have to work a 2nd p/t job?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
I have to use readers (not Readers) to read this site on my phone.

Bifocal contact lenses or I’d be in same boat I think. Not ready for cheaters.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:16 am 

I am starting to think I might have to use my cheaters to eat. :?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:18 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
pittmike wrote:

Looking for the next wife? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:21 am 

denisdman wrote:
pittmike wrote:

SHOTS FIRED! OPEN SEASON! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:25 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
pittmike wrote:
denisdman wrote:
pittmike wrote:

SHOTS FIRED! OPEN SEASON! :lol:

I don’t fault your unending hunger for pussy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
pittmike wrote:

when i gave plasma in college i was always amazed when looking around that I seemed to have more teeth in my mouth than everyone else hooked up to these machines combined.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
My dad tells me that he and his friends would sell their blood for beer money in college. Seems like a good combo.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Thought about posting this in the Student Loan thread, but my oldest child just found out he didn't get into Notre Dame. This despite being in the top 1% in every academic metric. Took every available AP class/test. National Merit Scholar semi-finalist (the highest you can get, as they haven't announce the finalists yet). Tons of extracurriculars, played varsity sports as an underclassman. My wife is an ND alum/legacy. Did the early admissions application.

I'm taking it harder than he is, though I know he has plenty of company. His childhood friend, a girl he's known since they were 6, has literally PERFECT everything...and she just found out she didn't get into Stanford.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Dishwasher suffered a split hose between the main pump and the wash manifold- it's a short, molded hose that reduces from one inch to three quarters, nothing off-the-shelf. Haven't been able to find just the hose available online tonight, will have to check Factory Service Parts tomorrow. Fortunately, it was noticed quite quickly, some water made it downstairs into the furnace room, no visible damage to the kitchen hardwood floors. Man, dishwashers are nasty things.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:02 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Thought about posting this in the Student Loan thread, but my oldest child just found out he didn't get into Notre Dame. This despite being in the top 1% in every academic metric. Took every available AP class/test. National Merit Scholar semi-finalist (the highest you can get, as they haven't announce the finalists yet). Tons of extracurriculars, played varsity sports as an underclassman. My wife is an ND alum/legacy. Did the early admissions application.

I'm taking it harder than he is, though I know he has plenty of company. His childhood friend, a girl he's known since they were 6, has literally PERFECT everything...and she just found out she didn't get into Stanford.

My Brother-in-Law is an alum. He's not insufferable about it (or maybe he is -I don't spend that much time around him) but he grew up in a rough area of Detroit proper, and he's a later-in-life converted Catholic, I know it's really important to him. He and my sister have 4 sons, I know he will be more crestfallen than they will if none of them a.) want to go there or b.) get in.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:53 am 

Telegram Sam wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

My Brother-in-Law is an alum. He's not insufferable about it (or maybe he is -I don't spend that much time around him) but he grew up in a rough area of Detroit proper, and he's a later-in-life converted Catholic, I know it's really important to him. He and my sister have 4 sons, I know he will be more crestfallen than they will if none of them a.) want to go there or b.) get in.

You have to set your expectations appropriately early in the process. The difference between acceptance and denial at all of these schools is razor thin these days.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
pittmike wrote:

I did that in 2005 after graduating high school. My regular job was for rent and bills, that was my weed money :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
K Effective wrote:
Dishwasher suffered a split hose between the main pump and the wash manifold- it's a short, molded hose that reduces from one inch to three quarters, nothing off-the-shelf. Haven't been able to find just the hose available online tonight, will have to check Factory Service Parts tomorrow. Fortunately, it was noticed quite quickly, some water made it downstairs into the furnace room, no visible damage to the kitchen hardwood floors. Man, dishwashers are nasty things.

Project Update: Even Whirlpool Parts does not offer the single hose, a kit of two was found online for $96.40 plus $12 tax/shipping, should be a couple of days. I suppose not a bad idea to replace both hoses while I'm in there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
good dolphin wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

You have to set your expectations appropriately early in the process. The difference between acceptance and denial at all of these schools is razor thin these days.

Yep, though the thing that irks me the most is my kid wasn't even waitlisted... in their eyes, he wasn't even projected to be a "maybe." When you break down the number of available spots, I guess I should have expected it. Let's say they have 2,000 openings. I'm guessing a couple hundred of those are set aside for athletes. Then you divide in half for male/female. Then you take a certain number of disadvantaged/minority/foreign/etc kids. Then look at the requested major (business, humanities, engineering, etc). And then, unfortunately, there is probably the donation factor. My son was probably vying for one of only a couple hundred spots, or less, for his demographic.

It's such a different world now. Northwestern has always been a good school, but as recently as 2008 the acceptance rate was over 25%. Now it's under 10%. Twenty kids from my son's school applied last year (many with 35 and 36 ACT scores) and none got in. When I was in high school, a 28 could get you in.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:49 pm 

Notre Dame is not worth the money it costs. It will work out better.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
The ACT scores are way different nowadays. I think you either get a 35 or 36 now. Those are the only possibilities. Back in the day my buddy got a 9.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:35 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Yep, though the thing that irks me the most is my kid wasn't even waitlisted... in their eyes, he wasn't even projected to be a "maybe." When you break down the number of available spots, I guess I should have expected it. Let's say they have 2,000 openings. I'm guessing a couple hundred of those are set aside for athletes. Then you divide in half for male/female. Then you take a certain number of disadvantaged/minority/foreign/etc kids. Then look at the requested major (business, humanities, engineering, etc). And then, unfortunately, there is probably the donation factor. My son was probably vying for one of only a couple hundred spots, or less, for his demographic.

It's such a different world now. Northwestern has always been a good school, but as recently as 2008 the acceptance rate was over 25%. Now it's under 10%. Twenty kids from my son's school applied last year (many with 35 and 36 ACT scores) and none got in. When I was in high school, a 28 could get you in.

There are more kids applying than ever before and each one of those kids is applying to more schools than ever before. That results in these insane acceptance rates. It makes the kids mental as it is rejection. The truth of it is that a good chunk of the kids rejected are every bit as viable of a student than the one's accepted.

My boy got deferred at Georgetown this weekend. I was pretty impressed he made it to a second review given the rates of acceptance. The good thing about wanting to go to school in DC though is that there are several other schools offering good programs in politics and unlimited internships. You can make a case that any school in DC is fungible if the student is diligent about pursuing the internships. I'll be perfectly happy if he goes to American or GW. Georgetown does open doors though. A place like ND doesn't really have a comparable.

On the good side he is currently at 5-0-1 with Dr. Ken's letter of recommendation pushing him over the top at ILL.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:39 pm 

I’m glad you boy is smart enough. Politics though seems a rough living for those with good intent.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:48 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
A place like ND doesn't really have a comparable.

It certainly does though it is dependent mostly on your major on where it is.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:04 pm 

pittmike wrote:
I’m glad you boy is smart enough. Politics though seems a rough living for those with good intent.

you learn quickly to toughen up

There are many avenues to career in politics. It doesn't require trying to be an elected official. Local, state, federal. Different branches. I look at some of these programs and they seem so interesting including foreign service, national security, foreign/domestic policy, etc. and they all seem to be heavily teamed with the economics departments as well. Cool stuff. Definitely more than the poli sci of my youth.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108 ... 190  Next