It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
GoldenJet wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

I have started using the MyFitnessPal app again to keep track of everything I'm eating. It's a great app.

It looks like that app only gives credit for calories burned during cardio workouts. Is that right? Does it calculate calories burned for weight training?

The weight training estimates need to be massaged by you. Per my research, it's a difficult number to calculate.

I have added different strength exercises with approximate calorie burn.

OK, thanks, good to know that the info can be added for weight work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Tall Midget wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

I have started using the MyFitnessPal app again to keep track of everything I'm eating. It's a great app.

It looks like that app only gives credit for calories burned during cardio workouts. Is that right? Does it calculate calories burned for weight training?

The weight training estimates need to be massaged by you. Per my research, it's a difficult number to calculate.

I have added different strength exercises with approximate calorie burn.

OK, thanks, good to know that the info can be added for weight work.

Quote:
Our program currently calculates calories for exercises logged in our "Cardiovascular" section only. Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you like, you can search for the same or similar exercise in our "Cardiovascular" database. If you can not find the exercise, you can search for the exercise "Strength training" in the cardiovascular database, but please be aware that this is only a rough estimate, and can be fairly inaccurate.

If you know how many calories you have burned via a heart rate monitor or other tracking device, you can add a custom exercise to your personal database.

​Alternatively, we have recently added a new "Workout Routines" feature (only available on iPhone and Android devices set to English) that allows you to build a gym routine from a large database of both strength and cardiovascular exercise that converts strength exercises into a single workout that adds to your diary with a caloric burn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Spaulding wrote:
Is it an iltaco?

You damn skippy!

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Opie wrote:

I do take electrolyte and vitamin supplements. And I drink green tea and raw apple cider vinegar. That's it, though. Day 18 and I feel fine.

:thumleft: Keep safe with it. I don't think I could do it.

Furious Styles wrote:
You damn skippy!

Nice!!!! I've been tempted to grab one but don't know if they'd be as good as I remember.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:22 am 
1000 CLUB

I've finally lost my first three pounds. I'm hoping to take off another five by the end of January.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:33 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
I've finally lost my first three pounds.

I might have found them. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
Biggest Loser Challenge at work begins 2/1. Have been hitting the gym for weight training, but will be stepping up the cardio then.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

Any of you guys do barbell squats? Prior to a few weeks ago, it had been well over a decade since I did any serious squatting. Since the end of December, I've been doing 4 sets a few times per week and have steadily added weight to the bar. What a great exercise for working multiple muscle groups simultaneously. I highly recommend adding barbell or dumbell squats to your routine if you're not doing them already. They have a noticeable effect pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

Now down 5.5 lbs since early January.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

I've been focusing on weight workouts that use a low weight/high rep/low recovery time approach to body fat reduction. To keep things from getting monotonous, I have been using supersets and pyramid sets as well.

All of this is a great approach to losing weight. I'm now down about 8 lbs since the beginning of January, and I can really feel the impact my weight workouts have had on my metabolism.

The cool thing about this approach is that you really only need a few dumbbells and just a little floor space to make it work, so you can achieve terrific results in a "small" suburban house or apartment.

Imagine that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
555 miles and 46 cents for January. Good start to the year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
I have had lower mileage, more vertical gain and a pretty slow pace on my runs due to the snowfall on the trails but hopefully all of this will pay off when things start to melt off this spring. I am starting to get my race fitness back after some down time before the holidays. I have a real test this Saturday, a 15k race on snow covered trails and exposed corn fields with single-digit temperatures and a steady breeze. That ought to be a motivator to keep the engines fired up and just keep moving.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:23 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
How was the race? I ran 8 miles today. I feared the worst but found the conditions to be surprisingly decent.

I wanted to do more but was out for a while with COVID (thankfully a mild version) and then followed that up with what I think is a broken toe. So now just getting back on the horse.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I managed to badly strain one of my lower back discs (probably L5-S1) during of all things an echocardiogram. I still think it was the injection of the diffuser.

Anyway, no antiinflammatories for me because of my other meds, so I was hobbling for a couple of weeks instead of knocking back three days of Aleve. My doctor checked me out the other day and said I could restart working with resistance bands and walking again although the weather here has been shitty for the latter.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:41 am 
1000 CLUB

I've been continuing the weight and cardio workouts, though some troubling health issues have resurfaced.

I have an appointment with my PCP next week to get checked out.

I'm now down 11 lbs since the beginning of the year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:18 am 

a retard wrote:
How was the race? I ran 8 miles today. I feared the worst but found the conditions to be surprisingly decent.

I wanted to do more but was out for a while with COVID (thankfully a mild version) and then followed that up with what I think is a broken toe. So now just getting back on the horse.

The conditions were worse than I feared, but I handled it better than I hoped. The fresh snow was very deep in areas (knee deep in some drifted areas) but the real challenge was the cold and wind across those fields. I was able to maintain a pretty consistent pace throughout, but for a couple uphill areas and the through a section of plowed up corn field I had to resort to power-hiking. I also got a little snow-blind and panicked that I had missed a turn and doubled back a quarter mile or more to look for it before I was convinced that I had not yet reached it in the first place, so I ended up adding a half mile or more to the length of the course. I managed 10+ miles in 2:10 minutes but if not for that section retracing my steps i think sub 2 hours would have been possible. Once I realized sub-2 hours wasn't happening i kind of took my foot off the gas down the stretch. The next adventure is the 20k race the first Saturday of March, that is usually the toughest of the series, relentless hills, log crossings, hills requiring ropes, and typically lots and lots of spring mud.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:27 am 

pizza_Place: Gourmet Pizza by Carlo
Officially under 300 today, which is 50 lbs since August and 73 lbs down from my all time high. It's gone slower than my previous commitments (1-2 lbs a week opposed to 2-3 lbs), but it feels a lot more sustainable over the long run.

As I mentioned in my last post, my body seemed to reject how heavy I was going on bench, so I've probably lost a little there -- I'm not going any higher than getting some reps in at 315. It's not quite as motivating, but I'm in a lot less pain, so it nets out. Shoulders coming along nicely, haven't tried but feels like I could probably max out on seated military press around 255-265 at this point. Legs still suck, but I'll continue to put the work in. Deadlifts still pretty pathetic but at least I'm seeing some gains.

Starting to do a little bit of cardio with one of those Century Bob XLs. I can tell you right now if some no-armed guy starts shit with me, he's in real fuckin trouble.

Still a long way to go -- want to drop minimum 60 more and shooting for 75. Feeling pretty good about my progress, though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:47 am 

That is super-impressive sneakers. Great work, and good luck achieving your 75-lb goal, you'll get there!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

Damn, Sneakers, that's amazing!

Am I correctly understanding that you lost most/all of this weight without doing any cardio ? Wow! I've never been able to do that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:59 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:

Am I correctly understanding that you lost most/all of this weight without doing any cardio ? Wow! I've never been able to do that.

Haha, pretty much yeah. I don't dislike cardio, but I honestly just got too fat to do anything meaningful so figured my time was better spent going hard with the weights. I'm actually looking forward to doing some running the back half of the year. Main thing for me is eat perfectly Mon-Thur, relax a bit but don't be an idiot Friday through Sunday, and don't miss workouts.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:28 pm 

My weight loss goals are uncannily similar to sneakers. Maxed out at 383 in Sept of 2017. Was about 325 in early January when I got the Type 2 diagnosis. I kicked the insulin in 2 weeks. Still taking metformin until they tell me to stop.

This weekend is 5 weeks without booze, wheat, sugar, rice...still using the MyFitnessPal app religiously.

I should drop under 300 over the next week.

My goal is 225.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:31 pm 

I'm doing some strength stuff, but mostly using the Concept 2 rower and spin bike.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

Sneakers O'Toole wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Haha, pretty much yeah. I don't dislike cardio, but I honestly just got too fat to do anything meaningful so figured my time was better spent going hard with the weights. I'm actually looking forward to doing some running the back half of the year. Main thing for me is eat perfectly Mon-Thur, relax a bit but don't be an idiot Friday through Sunday, and don't miss workouts.

What does a typical workout look like for you?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

GoldenJet wrote:
My weight loss goals are uncannily similar to sneakers. Maxed out at 383 in Sept of 2017. Was about 325 in early January when I got the Type 2 diagnosis. I kicked the insulin in 2 weeks. Still taking metformin until they tell me to stop.

This weekend is 5 weeks without booze, wheat, sugar, rice...still using the MyFitnessPal app religiously.

My goal is 225.

Nice job, GJ! Very impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:57 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:

My goal is 225.

That's awesome, Golden!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:11 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Sneakers O'Toole wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

This is pretty much what I've been following since I started back up again - https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/4-day-power-muscle-burn-workout-split.html. Where I strayed a bit was for bench. There's a "Bench Press +50lbs" app you can download - you just type in your current max and it gives you a simple program to follow - I've gotten great results from it. Only caveat is make sure to do plenty of stretching and warm-up sets at the beginning of each workout, as even the beginning sets it has you do each workout can be pretty damn heavy. Stretching at the end is important, too, which always used to ignore.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:42 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:

My goal is 225.

I know you're a tall guy, but I would've thought that you were around 260 when we met at lunch.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:33 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

My goal is 225.

I know you're a tall guy, but I would've thought that you were around 260 when we met at lunch.

I was probably 350.

Last time I was around 250-260 I was doing close to 100 miles a week on the river trails on my mountain bike.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:34 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Regular Reader wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

My goal is 225.

Exactly....Jet's a tall guy, but I wouldn't have guessed you were that high on the scale.

Congrats, Sneakers and Jet....Fantastic.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:32 am 
1000 CLUB

Sneakers O'Toole wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Sneakers O'Toole wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

This is pretty much what I've been following since I started back up again - https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/4-day-power-muscle-burn-workout-split.html. Where I strayed a bit was for bench. There's a "Bench Press +50lbs" app you can download - you just type in your current max and it gives you a simple program to follow - I've gotten great results from it. Only caveat is make sure to do plenty of stretching and warm-up sets at the beginning of each workout, as even the beginning sets it has you do each workout can be pretty damn heavy. Stretching at the end is important, too, which always used to ignore.

This is great stuff, Sneakers. Thanks for posting it. I really like the pyramiding approach to lifting--and what you're doing seems to be a variation of that. I'm gonna read that article on hypertrophy cited in your workout plan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next