It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 75  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
crayphish wrote:
I’m good with moving on from fields. I also would be surprised if he improves elsewhere, because bears. Just not sold on Williams, bordering on stay far away. Trade down and get one of the tier two guys.

I think that’s a lottery ticket strategy. Taking the guy perceived as the best talent first overall is usually a good choice.

There are some rare exceptions, but generally the guys with that profile have solid careers.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:40 am 

Today in dumb ex-players commenting on the Bears QB situation…

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
This Ends in Antioch wrote:

Where’d you play your ball?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis

It’s pretty obvious that Urlacher is racist.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
crayphish wrote:
I’m good with moving on from fields. I also would be surprised if he improves elsewhere, because bears. Just not sold on Williams, bordering on stay far away. Trade down and get one of the tier two guys.

I think that’s a lottery ticket strategy. Taking the guy perceived as the best talent first overall is usually a good choice.

There are some rare exceptions, but generally the guys with that profile have solid careers.

at the time there was a fairly large portion of draft people who thought Ryan Leaf should be the number one pick over Peyton Manning.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: not Pequod's
Leaf was preferred over Manning by most GMs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:24 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
crayphish wrote:

at the time there was a fairly large portion of draft people who thought Ryan Leaf should be the number one pick over Peyton Manning.

Maybe, but only one team had to actually make the decision and they took Manning.

It’s easy to say stuff when there’s no responsibility behind it. I do it every day. I’m doing it constantly in this thread. It’s fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:11 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
badrogue17 wrote:
crayphish wrote:

Young-Stroud
Trubustky/Mahomes
Mayfield/Allen
Pickett/Purdy
Vick/Brees
Alex Smith/ Rodgers

Not uncommon at all

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:47 pm 

312player wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
crayphish wrote:

Young-Stroud…not writing Young off after one season
Trubustky/Mahomes….neither 1/1
Mayfield/Allen…Mayfield isn’t great, but he’s a proven NFL starter
Pickett/Purdy…neither 1/1
Vick/Brees…Vick’s issues weren’t his play
Alex Smith/ Rodgers…Smith had a very good career

Not uncommon at all

The point isn’t that the 1/1 will definitively be the best player chosen, it’s that a 1/1 QB very rarely has a bad career.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
badrogue17 wrote:
crayphish wrote:

I would have drafted Leaf over Manning. He looked more athletic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:51 pm 

312player wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
crayphish wrote:

Young-Stroud…not writing Young off after one season
Trubustky/Mahomes….neither 1/1
Mayfield/Allen…Mayfield isn’t great, but he’s a proven NFL starter
Pickett/Purdy…neither 1/1
Vick/Brees…Vick’s issues weren’t his play
Alex Smith/ Rodgers…Smith had a very good career

Not uncommon at all

The point isn’t that the 1/1 will definitively be the best player chosen, it’s that a 1/1 QB very rarely has a bad career.

Fields should have been a 1/1. He's the only player in his draft that even seems like a star.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:52 pm 

Caleb scares the shit out of me due to the ND game and his size. But I draft him. If you pass, and he becomes Mahomes light, you just blew the most obvious pick in history. You miss, we say, “dat Bears.”

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:54 pm 

I would draft him and resign fields. Then if it fails absolutely nobody could say dat bears

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
There's low risk if you replace Fields with Williams and then Williams proceeds to suck. Again, we're talking about the 23rd rated passer in the league. Per ESPN, Fields is actually underperforming a replacement- level QB. To be fair to Fields, he's not massively underperforming relative to a replacement level QB, but he's either just as good as a replacement level QB or slightly worse. Either way you put it, the response if Fields were to go this off-season should be "eh", followed by a shrug. The production is replaceable.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:13 pm 

The risk is, that pick would get a haul including MHJ.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:16 pm 

Chicken and egg thing though because what good is MJH if a barely replacement level QB is throwing to him.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:16 pm 

Vegan, I would like you listen to Goff on Parkins’ show on Friday. Then I want you to tell me the flawed logic with Goff’s main arguments.

I know the answer already but would like another similar thinker to confirm.

Please.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:17 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Chicken and egg thing though because what good is MJH if a barely replacement level QB is throwing to him.

Moore, Kmet, and MJH, so tantalizing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:48 pm 

The pick is worth a haul only because there is a guy (maybe two) widely thought to have elite potential. Passing on that guy to surround a proven below average passer with another couple skill guys is the roster construction version of this:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:57 pm 

Gut reaction. Who is the most elusive QB in the NFL ?

Rest my case

#calebisabitch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:58 pm 

The pick is worth a haul only because there is a guy (maybe two) widely thought to have elite potential. Passing on that guy to surround a proven below average passer with another couple skill guys is the roster construction version of this:

Actually I think it would be like Neverland, with a fiat parked in the driveway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
veganfan21 wrote:

Because you have Fields' projected 2024 and 2025 salary to get the new quarterback another lineman and another offensive skill player in free agency, and maybe some money left over.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:43 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
veganfan21 wrote:

The following is the only no brainer....trading down, once or twice, to get a 2025 #1 and a 2026 #1. Probably not possible but it IS a no brainer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:00 pm 

Nardi wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

The following is the only no brainer....trading down, once or twice, to get a 2025 #1 and a 2026 #1. Probably not possible but it IS a no brainer.

So you want to go into next season with a barely replacement level QB surrounded by guys whose skills he can't leverage because he doesn't know how to play QB?

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:04 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Nardi wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

So you want to go into next season with a barely replacement level QB surrounded by guys whose skills he can't leverage because he doesn't know how to play QB?

Caleb taking them to the Super Bowl next season? I'm fine with building an obnoxiously good football team and then maybe a QB will show up. Worked in SF.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:11 pm 

Nardi wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Nardi wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Caleb taking them to the Super Bowl next season? I'm fine with building an obnoxiously good football team and then maybe a QB will show up. Worked in SF.

You haven't answered the question though: what is your reasoning for going into next year with an offense built around a replacement-level QB. If you want to say you want an elite QB because Justin isn't the answer but prefer to prioritize other positions first then that's a different argument.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:22 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Nardi wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Nardi wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

You haven't answered the question though: what is your reasoning for going into next year with an offense built around a replacement-level QB. If you want to say you want an elite QB because Justin isn't the answer but prefer to prioritize other positions first then that's a different argument.

You don't think a downgraded #1 this year and a #1 in 2025 and 2026 is a no brainer?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:39 pm 

Nardi wrote:
You don't think a downgraded #1 this year and a #1 in 2025 and 2026 is a no brainer?

Well that assumes we'd get the specific haul you're talking about but generally speaking I am not optimistic about the success of a team led by someone who was outperformed by journeymen like Minshew and Dobbs. If Minshew is the starter going into next season with Moore on his right and MJH on his left, what would your expectations be? Now take those expectations for a Minshew-led team and downgrade them a level or two for a Fields-led team. Is that where you really want to be?

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Nardi wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Nardi wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Nardi wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

It’s not if Williams hits. I’m really not sure why everyone is so afraid of the Bears giving up a below average QB in Fields to take another swing at a QB that could be the answer in Williams. How long do you plan on waiting and when do you realistically think they’ll be in this position again to have their choice of the next big QB coming out?

So many of you are acting like they can make this pick any year they want, that’s not how it works. That’s not how any of this works.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
veganfan21 wrote:
There's low risk if you replace Fields with Williams and then Williams proceeds to suck. Again, we're talking about the 23rd rated passer in the league. Per ESPN, Fields is actually underperforming a replacement- level QB. To be fair to Fields, he's not massively underperforming relative to a replacement level QB, but he's either just as good as a replacement level QB or slightly worse. Either way you put it, the response if Fields were to go this off-season should be "eh", followed by a shrug. The production is replaceable.

I made essentially the same point on the last page. The Bears have already began to greatly improve this roster over the last couple years -and will still be in a great position to improve it more this year thru the draft and feee agency while also adding the best QB in the draft.

They’re literally playing with house money and people are like ‘nah, we’re good’

It makes no sense.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 75  Next