It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 456 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 7:02 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
I still think the Bears could get the 78 off Related's hands and make it work, especially since Reinsdorf's request for a new stadium was a wet fart and he promptly pivoted to developing around the UC instead. It's really the only logical place for the Bears to build. I can imagine something akin to Seattle's stadium, where there's an overhang for the seats but the field is still exposed to the elements.

Isn’t that property actually owned by an Iraqi terrorist?

I thought Related is just the prospective developer but the actual owner is a guy who can’t legally enter the country. I don’t know how Ginny would feel about that.

https://archive.ph/odjGM
Quote:
In 2005, Auchi’s attempts to enter the United States were blocked when the State Department refused him a visa as he was preparing to invest in the land, which was owned at the time by Tony Rezko, a political fixer for then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich. Rezko later went to prison, convicted in a kickback scheme involving state deals, and Auchi bought out Rezko, who needed the money for his legal bills.

The State Department also rejected Auchi's later attempt at a visa in 2014. In both 2005 and 2014, the State Department cited unspecified "crimes of moral turpitude" as the reason for rejecting Auchi's visa requests, according to court records.

Federal officials never revealed why they rejected Auchi’s visa application, which happened after a French court convicted him of fraud in an oil scandal. He was fined and sentenced to prison for 15 months, though the sentence was suspended and he never did any time in that case.
Auchi did serve two years in prison after he and 76 others — including Saddam Hussein, at the time a young member of Iraq's Ba'ath Party — were convicted of attempting to assassinate Iraq’s prime minister in 1959. Hussein was sentenced to hang but fled the country. He was Iraq’s president from 1979 to 2003, when the United States and its allies invaded Iraq. Hussein was captured by U.S. troops and executed in 2006 in Iraq for crimes against humanity.

So he did some light terrorism. Who hasn't.

I dunno. Gotta do something with that land, and I don't sense any burning desire to subsidize another new stadium for the White Sox. Get the land out from under Saddam Hussein's co-conspirator, unload Arlington Park, and maybe the Bears can build a stadium within their means, even if it can't attract the mythical Final Fours that every new stadium says it's going to get.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 10:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
a retard wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Kevin White was saying things....

I didn't realize this guy was involved, too?

he'd do a better job

Warren. Ooopsies.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 5:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
https://www.chicagotribune.com/2024/09/ ... al-keegan/

Quote:
The new stadium, which would hold 60,000 to 70,000 fans for football, is a dull structure by any architectural standard. Sitting within yards of the Lake Michigan shore, the stadium would offer no acknowledgement of this prime locale. Its primary nod to Chicago would be an enormous window at its north end placed to frame the downtown skyline. Little else would acknowledge the building’s place in the world, much less this city. If a view of the Loop is the most important thing to the Bears and NFL, that could be done elsewhere in the city, without using public lakefront land.

I will give them this: The Chicago Bears are thinking big.

But they’re playing with the house’s money.

And we are the house.

Let’s be clear about what’s driving what. A private corporation is looking to mold a large portion of Chicago’s precious lakefront into an entertainment district that supports its private operations. Sure, there might be a public-private component to some of the new facilities, but Chicago has historically kept private ventures off the public lands of the lakefront.

The Bears occupancy of Soldier Field should remain the anomaly, not the norm. A facility tailor-made for fewer than a dozen days a year should not be driving the development of land dedicated to public use. The Bears’ suggestions of further development demonstrate a vision of public land as a commercial zone similar to Navy Pier. These are exactly the types of development that Montgomery Ward, Burnham and generations of Chicago’s civic visionaries have worked to keep off our beloved lakefront.

This new stadium and its associated facilities have no place on Chicago’s lakefront. Any number of large planned developments across the city could absorb this beast within their footprints: The 78, Lincoln Yards, Bronzeville Lakefront (the old Michael Reese site) or the McCormick Place truck marshalling site.

It’s time to stop the Bears’ ill-conceived plans and send them back to the locker room.

Of those other sites, I think only the 78 would work for the Bears, but it would work exquisitely. Figure out a way for the Union Station south trains to stop at Roosevelt and you have the most transit-accessible stadium in the NFL. Roughly speaking, all (rail)roads would lead to the Bears. I feel like I cut through the Lincoln Yards site two or three times a month and in no way can I conceive of getting 65,000 people in and out of there by train, car, or old-timey dirigible. Michael Reese would have the same accessibility issues as Arlington Heights or Soldier Field where it's served by a single line in a hub-and-spoke distribution and the roads aren't much better. They gotta get that land out from under Reinsdorf. That's it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 5:50 pm 

"Chicago’s precious lakefront"

Oh no, are we running out of lakefront in Chicago? Last time I was there it seemed like there were miles of it.

And an entertainment district on the lake? That would never work. Navy Pier failed and had to be destroyed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 6:12 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
It sounds like you were here last weekend.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 6:19 pm 

Nas wrote:
It sounds like you were here last weekend.

Things change quickly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 456 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16